Cornwall Football Forum

defunct grounds

the following teams, some still going played on pitches that no longer host football. most are sunday league teams and although not exhaustive it is from the last 20 years. comments or additions welcome.

bugle - molinnis road
falmouth post office - trescobeas road
falmouth town 3rds - union corner
falmouth villa/gweek - (dont know the name)
camborne town - heathcoats? (behind cricket club)
star inn - carbis bay holiday camp
terrills - leedstown playing field
halsetown - halsetown inn
railway tavern - carn brea leisure centre
truro united - monkey tree
raf st mawgan - st eval playing fields
camelford - tregoodwell
four lanes - lanyon park/loscombe road
hayle - ellis park
long rock - rydal field
baltic pine - minack theatre
threemilestone - polstain road
mawgan united - recreation ground
stithians - old vicarage recreation ground
booters - raymond road

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the east of the county St Anns Chapel used to play at the St Anns Chapel Recreation Field in Duchy League football until about 10 years ago.

Callington Town's third team ( also Duchy) played at Duchy College,Stoke Climsland for a few years in the late 1990's - the pitch must have had the biggest slope touchline to touchline anywhere in Cornwall ! A few games were also played at Golberdon, near Callington.

Also castle utd played near carn brea, in the west pen with league , heamoor at bone alley , , long rock afc finished twelve years ago , as there was only three doing all the jobs , Nigel Bennett's chairman and treasurer and chief pitch cutter stroke fitter on the temperamental. Tractor , Steve stone ( scouse ) pitch marking myself Steve bailey manager , secretary , and between us our wives washed the kits , such a shame as at one time there were three teams in the west pen, amor shield mining three leagues , as with a lot of village sides not much support from the locals , I pass the pitch everyday on the way to work and have fond memories of old players and friends

I think Storm used Raymond road long before booters, also behind Camborne cricket club is where Camborne Park play?

There is also Storm/Titans - Boundervean lane

Portreath - RAF Portreath

Ruan Minor - Recreation Ground?

No Peggy,Heathcoats used to play in the field adjoining Camborne Cricket Club,i think the cricket club still play there.

Also,as Steve says,there was a pitch at the base of Carn Brea which Castle United used to play on,i think it has grown over again now.

I think Storm used Raymond road long before booters, also behind Camborne cricket club is where Camborne Park play?

There is also Storm/Titans - Boundervean lane

Portreath - RAF Portreath

Ruan Minor - Recreation Ground?

No Peggy,Heathcoats used to play in the field adjoining Camborne Cricket Club,i think the cricket club still play there.

Also,as Steve says,there was a pitch at the base of Carn Brea which Castle United used to play on,i think it has grown over again now.

Like the man in orthopaedic shoes - I stand corrected

tms have been all around the village. they use to play out in the wilds on the way to Carnon Downs, was it them or treliske who played were the hospital car park is now. st. earth used to play in the lanes in the middle of nowhere. roskear used to play at park bottom and Busby Gents used to play just off tms roundabout near the park and ride

ruan minors recreation ground is still a football ground although not used by anyone.

did perranporth play on the pitch high above the town on the st agnes road and does anyone use it now?

if people can be specific i would like to create a photo archive or even better if people could upload pictures that would be brilliant

It's probably a sad reflection on my ability as a player and the standard I played at, but I remember fondly the old Newmoor pitch.

First played there as a 17yo in 1976.

Also played on the Millbrook pitch with the telegraph wires

That was also the case at a ground in South Petherwin - The team was called Stanstag ! - Not sure if they were ever in a league but they used to play in the Junior Cup

Shirehorse played in the Amor Shield   for a season at the top of St Ives  behind the Shirehorse   club.  Hoof prints as big as dinner plates , with a pre match warm up of kicking thistles down and  Tommy Clymo shovelling shi.....    manure for roses..

Also  i  remember Long Rock having a season  in a field on the back road between Gulval and Ludgvan?

Just a quick selection of redundant grounds (clubs may,or may not,be still in existence)

Goonhavern
Perranporth
St.Agnes
Crantock
Trevarrian
St.Columb Minor
Malabar (pitch near Mount Hawke)
Mylor
Carnon Downs
Ponsanooth
Falmouth Docks
Goonhilly
Redruth Utd (at Treleigh)

SF, we've never played at Treleigh. In our first 2 seasons 1993/4 -1994/5, we played at Raymond Road, which was the same ground used by Redruth Rangers ( Sunday league) at the time.

Just a quick selection of redundant grounds (clubs may,or may not,be still in existence)

Goonhavern
Perranporth
St.Agnes
Crantock
Trevarrian
St.Columb Minor
Mylor
Carnon Downs
Ponsanooth
Falmouth Docks
Goonhilly

SF, we've never played at Treleigh. In our first 2 seasons 1993/4 -1994/5, we played at Raymond Road, which was the same ground used by Redruth Rangers ( Sunday league) at the time.

Hi Darren,i didn't mean the club formed by yourself but the former Redruth team run i think by the Eblings(?).There was a pitch opposite the Treleigh Inn and which was affected by the line of the Redruth By-pass when built.Though thinking about it,it may have been Redruth Town.

Camborne rbl, Trevu and Camborne Plough. think they all played were St. Meriadoc school is now, I know the first two did. Also Camborne School of Mines. but cannot remember where they played. Who can forget A div. Police and Pengegon on two different pitches at Park Rd

Camborne RBL and Trevu did play where St Meriadoc School is. Camborne Plough at one point played over at Illogan. School of Mines played on the slopping pitch by the side of the by-pass which is now built on. A Div Police played on the same pitch as Pengegon at Park Road, but Pengegon used Crofty Cricket Clubs changing rooms and the police had green caravans at the bottom end of the pitch which were regualrly vandalised. There was only a Second pitch there, after Crofty stopped playing cricket there. JF Pool played at Horespool (Connor Downs). St Ives Dodgems, on he left hand side going up Terringham. Pool FC played at Roskear.  A few other teams not mentioned like Porkellis, Cable and Wireless which has been mentioned, up by Minack. Memory not so good as it was.  Barriper played out by the cricket ground, and there was a team at Carnhell Green as well.

I looked and then realised a mistake in my post. Camborne Plough as I remember played in Illogan Park. Trevu played at where St Meridoc School is now.

I may be wrong but did Camborne RBL play where Rosemellin School is these days?

I remember St Earth , Porkellis and I thnk Troon had a different ground as well, back in the early 80s

There are a few other places I remember such as Lanner, Threemilestone, Goonhavern ,all grounds that were out in the middle of nowhere and not places they used recently.

Yes Soccer Follower,,,, Barripper ,,,, "Changing Rooms" !!,, the club were not allowed to have anything permanent, fortunately a good Samaritan donated the facilities,ie a floorless chicken house !!,,,which I was " Forced" against my will to help to stick together along with all the other volunteers, namely "Three",,,,I take no responsibility for any cold feet if the grass floor had not been mowed,,, or for any wood splinters in places where there should be no splinters !!!! lol,, they were the days !!!

Yes Soccer Follower,,,, Barripper ,,,, "Changing Rooms" !!,, the club were not allowed to have anything permanent, fortunately a good Samaritan donated the facilities,ie a floorless chicken house !!,,,which I was " Forced" against my will to help to stick together along with all the other volunteers, namely "Three",,,,I take no responsibility for any cold feet if the grass floor had not been mowed,,, or for any wood splinters in places where there should be no splinters !!!! lol,, thay were the days !!!

I have changed in some poor facilities over the years Halfback but i have to admit that the chicken shed at Barripper was the worst!

Thank you and the other "volunteers" for at least putting a roof on it although there was no floor.

Goonhavern
Perranporth
St.Agnes
Crantock
Trevarrian
St.Columb Minor
Mylor
Carnon Downs
Ponsanooth
Falmouth Docks
Goonhilly

Hi Darren,i didn't mean the club formed by yourself but the former Redruth team run i think by the Eblings(?).There was a pitch opposite the Treleigh Inn and which was affected by the line of the Redruth By-pass when built.Though thinking about it,it may have been Redruth Town.

Goonhavern
Perranporth
St.Agnes
Crantock
Trevarrian
St.Columb Minor
Mylor
Carnon Downs
Ponsanooth
Falmouth Docks
Goonhilly

Nigel-The Eblings formed REDBORNE UNITED I believe.

Those changing facilities at Gulvals badgers cross pitch were.  basic to say the least,  2 lean too's about  5 foot high and  a trough along side the pitch to wash in,  When we got a  second hand caravan we thought it was fantastic until it started to sink and split in half.

Happy days.

also remember  playing A div police up there when they were a few short,, and a couple of patrol cars turned up just before   kick off to  bolster  their numbers..

Shirehorse played in the Amor Shield   for a season at the top of St Ives  behind the Shirehorse   club.  Hoof prints as big as dinner plates , with a pre match warm up of kicking thistles down and  Tommy Clymo shovelling shi.....    manure for roses..
Also  i  remember Long Rock having a season  in a field on the back road between Gulval and Ludgvan?

I think also shire horse lost one game 33-0 if my memory is correct a record at west penwith league , not sure who against

if long rocks rydal field now hosts a car boot sale then i have a photo of the right site. also have ellis park at hayle.

redruth dynamo did once play at strawberry lane.

assuming gerrans/st mawes play at halwortha, st mawes then that means treloan lane aka long meadow in gerrans is redundant

Remember playing at Shirehorse for Long Rock and getting changed in the shed.  One player had brand new pair of rigger boots that he had worn to work and left them in the corner.  Unfortunately it rained while we were playing and there was a hole in the roof above his boots.  Hence to say when he put his boots on after the game the water shot 3 feet in the air soaking his clothes.