Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay Ladies 3-2 Crystal Palace

Newquay Ladies FC 3 - 2 Crystal Palace Ladies

Both sides came into this game in confident mood after good wins last week but it was Newquay who struck first when Jess Longworth scored from a Dani Barr corner to put Newquay 1 - 0 in front. This led to a five minute spell when Newquay could have scored a second but a good save from the Crystal Palace keeper denied them.

Palace are a good side and their football got them back into the game, with their England international forward Bev Curtis causing the Newquay defence to work really hard the game was end to end with both sides playing well and striving to gain the upper hand, the defences of both sides had to concentrate and work hard to keep their opposing forwards at bay and on the odd occassion they were beaten the keepers showed their quality and half time arrived with no further goals and Newquay pleased to be going in 1 - 0 up.

The start of the second half saw Palace force Newquay onto the back foot causing them to defend in numbers, then just as Newquay thought they had weathered the storm Bev Curtis showed her skill with a great finish to bring the scores level 1 - 1, Palace were full of confidence now and piled pressure on the Newquay side who defended doggedly, Palace took the lead though through Bev Curtis again who demonstrated her England class when she beat two defenders and smacked the ball past Sally Thomson in the Newquay goal sixty minutes gone and Newquay were now down 2 - 1.

Many sides would have lost it now, but this Newquay side is full of character and ability and they dug in and pushed their opponents back, it was Crystal Palaces turn to defend now, desperately at times, having made a couple of good saves the Palace keeper could do nothing to stop Candy Hopson levelling things when she struck from 12 yards out to make it 2 - 2 on 70 minutes. Neither side were going to settle for the draw and they both attacked whole heartedly forcing both the keepers into action and the defenders to have to work hard, Palace were saved by the woodwork on two occassions when with their keeper beaten shots came back to safety off the bar and post. Just as it looked like a draw was going to be the result, with time running out a through ball from Candy Hopson found Dani Barr who had her shot blocked by a defender but the ball rebounded out to Leanne Lapham on the edge of the penalty area who with the outside of her boot curled the ball over the keeper into

the top corner of the goal for an exquisite finish to give Newquay the lead 3 - 2 and a great win against a very good Palace side.

This was a pulsating game with lots of good football played by both sides, Newquay delighted with the win and Palace feeling possibly with some justification that they were hard done by not to get a point.

The game was a tremendous advert for football especially the Ladies game and the hundred or more spectators enjoyed it, both teams enjoyed playing in it and the people who run the sides were proud of all the girls.

Now for the people of Cornwall hands up how many of you ever thought you would have a side that beat West Ham one week followed by beating Crystal Palace, come and support the team and help us in our drive for the only league above us the full PREMIERSHIP.

Thanks To Colin Mills For The Report.

Ok whats going on, the only time i don't ask for a match report or scores you post one. But if i ask you shout, get shitty and tell me how much of a thorn in your side i am. :wacko: Maybe its because they where at home and won. Well done Newquay ladies :clapper::drink:

The game was a tremendous advert for football especially the Ladies game and the hundred or more spectators

Thats nearly double whats on the other post :lol:

Who's right about the number of spectators.

Oddballs says 58 and allforone says a 100 or so.

When I do a head count I take it just after half-time and count adults and teenagers, not tiddlers or puppies. I know some don't pay but that is why I call it a head count. For one Pz Combo game 79 paid but there were 98 in the ground.

Some exaggerate the figures like last weeks Pz Ladies FA Cup match when there were 36 in the ground but they reported 50.

So what is the real figure Truro.

Ok whats going on, the only time i don't ask for a match report or scores you post one. But if i ask you shout, get shitty and tell me how much of a thorn in your side i am. :wacko: Maybe its because they where at home and won. Well done Newquay ladies :clapper::drink:

The game was a tremendous advert for football especially the Ladies game and the hundred or more spectators

Thats nearly double whats on the other post :lol:

What is the old saying? You can please some of the people some of the time,but you cant please all of the people all of the time.

Anyhow thanks for the match report Allforone,and well done Newquay ladies.Will try to catch a few of your home matches when I can.

KIT 65.