Cornwall Football Forum

Holmans v Newquay

It IS true. Newquay cant raise a side due to a wedding and a huge injury list !

The first team are playing in the vase with only 12 men including 2 of the management team and several reserves. The reserves have 7 fit players. We have signed a stranger on last minute who may or may not be any good and will start with ten (including two injured players unable to run but who are happy to wander around to make up the numbers).

There is an entire team worth of top players in attendence at a player's wedding plus numerous first choice players with twisted knees, ankles etc...as a result of playing twice a week on our pot-holed bone hard pitch.

Truth is, we could run up a record defeat tomorrow but unlike other clubs in the league - we have no team below us to call upon but will not miss our fixture.

Good luck Newquay. Do me proud and dont worry Holmans, we'll be there and will 'give it a go' !

(getting in my excuses now before Holmans steal all the headlines!)

U will do ok carl. if you have a majority of the side that played us last week. They will give there all for you thats the main thing all I can say is get up there asses and you will be ok bud................

Thanks Winno...but we still had about 7 out injured when we played you last week...including ALL our goalscorers ! Im just embarrassed to have to drag those remaining players to an away game in such circumstances. I am sure they will do me proud and keep the score in the realms of a footy match, not a rugby or even a cricket score !!!

I will take the result on the chin and who knows, Holmans may too have a shortage and it could be 7 aside with one sub each !

The challenge for us today will be to concede less than the first team - who are also decimated.

Good luck Kieran Avery. I hope the wedding goes well.

I wouldlike to offer my apologies to my players and Holmans FC.

This was an appaling situation to ask my players to confront but they did so with a lot of dignity and I am proud of their efforts.

Two of us started the game with injuries just to make it up to 9 but that couldnt last long as our injuries deteriorated. We were soon down to 7.

I think it was about 9 nil at half time and another injury early second half forced the ref to abandon.

We approached the league midweek but were ordered to play. We advised the ref and Holmans pre-match and to be honest they were very supportive - it must have been an extremely frustrating day for all concerned.

I have asked my secretary to liaise with the league and hopefully Holmans will get to keep their points. We tried to do the honourable thing and fulfil the fixture in impossible circumstances. Its all we could do. I am sure league rules exist to make a judgement here.

The relevant rules covering abandoned matches are as follows:-

Combination League Rule 10(h) " In the event of a match not being played, or abandoned owing to causes over which neither Club has control, it shall (subject to clause j) be replayed in its entirety on a date to be arranged by the League Fixtures Secretary......"

Combination League Rule 10 (j) "The Management Committee shall review all matches abandonedin cases where it is consequent upon the conduct of either or both teams. Where it is to the advantage of the Competition and does no injustice to either Club, the Management Committee shall be empowered to order the score at the time of the ababdonment to stand.

As the abandonment was not caused by the conduct of Newquay, it could be argued that the game should be replayed - as happened in similar circumstances with Ludgvan last season.

:( No disrespect to Newquay but looking at scorelines over the last month shows how poor so called senior football is, ie;combination. Having watched many games this year shows how poor the combination standard has dropped. I think anyone who can score goals nowadays would rack up sixty or seventy goals a season at this standard. Poor showing for senior football at this so called level. No more than a falmouth helston league. Shocking standard of football.

:( No disrespect to Newquay but looking at scorelines over the last month shows how poor so called senior football is, ie;combination. Having watched many games this year shows how poor the combination standard has dropped. I think anyone who can score goals nowadays would rack up sixty or seventy goals a season at this standard. Poor showing for senior football at this so called level. No more than a falmouth helston league. Shocking standard of football.

I think thats a really bad way to look at things the standard has not gone down some teams in the combo play great football. You seem not to only be knocking the standard of combo football but that of falmouth helston league too. Maybe you need to look at the games not the score line and then you'll see what standard of footballs being played. :angry2:

Well done to Newquay for trying to play this game :clapper: :drink:

As a footnote to this...

As player manager of Newquay reserves, I have now formally asked the league to allow the result to stand - despite the indication that league rules will insist on a replay.

It was Holmans good fortune to draw us on this particular day and they certainly shouldn't be penalised. Also, I would not like my team to benefit from this on a technicality.

I tried to have the match postponed midweek but was not permitted to do so (understandably so). I advised the referee before the game of the situation and had to ask my players to turn up and play in difficult circumstances - which they did with a great deal of dignity and professionalism. In order to try and fulfil this fixture myself and my assistnat manager, Matt Darwent, tried to play with injuries. Matt in particular played in great pain and aggravated an injury which may now mean a prolonged period on the sidelines.

I do not wish to contribute to a fixture pile up at the end of the season and wish to put this matter behind us...but would like it known we as a club have tried to do the right thing at every stage of this.

I hope some positicves can be taken from this.

Lets hope common sense can apply and Holmans can belatedly celebrate their victory.

Thanks John,

My formal request did go to the league via my club secretary.

This weekend was a one-off for this club and rightly or wrongly, I wanted to explain our actions on this forum as it is the only place I have a voice that is heard really. I did not want the result/headline to catch the attention and portray the event in a poorer light.

Again thanks for your valuable input. I appreciate comments and facts from those in the know.