Cornwall Football Forum

St Day Points Deduction?

I agree, the combo league has a large pot of money just sitting there, why do they have the right to do this? Surly it should be payable to the ccfa not them? Either way the money will go into an account which will not benefit any club!

Surly st day have a right to put a complaint in about the league secretary not fulfilling his role? Actions should be taken against them also...

The cup should just be forgotten about like the sup cup has this season, or just have a massive game of 'wembley doubles', x2 from each team and a SWPL goal keeper...winner takes all!!!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Improvements can always be made to the administration of a league. I agree that the league would benefit from improved use of technology available, but why is this thread turning into a bash the combo committee? Whether we agree or disagree with this or any other rule, we have to stick to them, if we don't, the whole game would be a farce. I was not present at any of the meetings this year, but as a manager, I made a point of calling the league to check precisely what the rule involved, it's called duty of care! At least this rule has stopped clubs with a higher league team, being able to make a mockery of the league by throwing a whole team of better players into a midweek game, this in recent times has In my opinion affected the bottom of the league, and could of had a bearing on the title destination. If you are that concerned about the committee, volunteer to join it, improve it from within! As a club if your not sure, contact the league and find out, if your not sure don't play those players. As for the cup, it will be a nonsense to cancel the cup now, Mullion already have booked there place in the final, all we need to do now, is either follow the precedent of giving the other semi finalist a bye (us), or get a play off between st just and whoever else st day, knocked out before that, sorted ASAP.

The Combination League is still small enough to be run by a Management Committee consisting of all Clubs and the League Officers so, if there is "blame" it must be shared by everyone! I fail to see how the League could possibly be at fault for a Club/Manager not being aware of the Rules.

One might question whether it is sensible to have a rule controlling numbers of players who've played at a higher level - no such rule exsists in the East Cornwall League, nor any of the other feeder Leagues of the SWPL. People keep telling me it's a "Senior League", so perhaps all the "Senior Clubs" should be treated equally - as they are in the Senior Cup!?

All secretaries have rule books sent to them league or ccfa can't be held responsible if no-one at st day can read. Everyone comes on here and say how great matt Harris is yet time and time again he gets caught out,how can you reinstate a team into a cup when even the st day manager doesn't know who was playing take the incident with Danny Ford being mistakenly played under Barry Hennessey you would think they were all on something

Disagree MJP, I think the competition should be scrapped as it's a farce that the original mistake (v Redruth) went unpunished as the league didn't do its job, so why should Redruth lose out? Just to get the games played and into the finals? No, Redruth v st just should be the next game

Pointers I'm sorry if I didn't make my post clear enough! I am advocating that also, as long as St Day did play too many players against Redruth, they should play St Just in a play off. As for scrapping the cup, I feel that would be a cop out by the league! You cannot punish the the clubs that have already got to this stage because of St Days, lack of understanding, or breaking of the rules, or anybody else's lack of your perceived competence! The cup final and semi final can be a source of valuable income to clubs in these difficult financial times. Also for some players it may be their first, last or only chance, of getting some silverware to add to their memories of playing the game, do you want to rob them of that. It easy to say scrap it, when you or your club, is not, or is no longer involved! I hope this clarifies my position to you.

Yes but what I am saying is...if they cancel the 'Mickey mouse' trophy die to extra games, why not this one? After all this one could of been avoided if the league was on top of things instead of people outside of the league having to do their work for them!

Because the league is not willing to move forward with regards to the team sheets etc, this will happen again, and again and again until they grasp what needs to be done! I'm with pitty, sign for one club, and that's that!!

If that's true about the points being awarded to the other teams then its an horrendous decision. St Day may well have beaten most of those sides regardless of the 'senior players' so they shouldn't be awarded to the teams that lost. Giving 3 points to teams that haven't earned them or were unlikely to do so!

I do agree Pointers, but realistically, and I don't mean this in a derogatory way, would the teams near the foot of the table have earned the 3 points playing a legit St Day side, maybe but perhaps not. Anyway, I'll wait until someone actually confirms before being too bothered by it

I'm being realistic Halfback, not derogatory. I spent many years playing at Ludgvan during some pretty dour seasons, barely earning double figures in points each season. You don't expect to beat the teams around the top of the table when you're at the bottom, I'm not saying you don't try your hardest though. But like I said, let's wait until someone confirms it. Don't expect it to be published electronically, or very widely, by the league though.

The Rules are made and/or changed by the Clubs at an AGM (or EGM). Most Rules must agree with the FA Standard Code of Rules - which do not include Cup Competitions. While there have had to be numerous Rule changes in recent seasons to comply with the Standard Code of Rules, no-one has yet proposed any changes to the historic rules of the Combination League Cup Competitions; hence they differ regarding eligibility of players and there are no restrictions in the League Cup upon the number of players who have played at a higher level.

The League's disciplinary Committee merely judge on whether Rules have been broken and act accordingly. The outcome of such deliberations have to be confirmed by the League Management Committee (Officers and representatives of all Clubs) at a League Meeting (next one due on April 17th). The Clubs involved have to be informed, in writing, of the proposed decision and given the opportunity to appeal against it. Once this process has been completed, it then becomes "Official" and can be made "public" by the League.

I am not a spokesman for the Combination League but hope this makes things a little clearer and explains why there is, as yet, not statement from the League.

Thank you John for ur comments, answers my Question,,, sounds like league rules don't apply to cup games, if this is so, then its only right that St Day stay in the cup, if they have,nt broken any rules, they have,nt done anything wrong so far as the league cup is concerned ,,,