Cornwall Football Forum

Barry Better than Lamps??

Guest Chris B

Guest Helston Patriot

Is it me or does England play better with BArry in the middle with Gerrard compered to Frank "i must shoot at every oppotunity" Lampard??

Your thoughts please..

Once Hargreaves is fit he will play against the better teams, such as Russia away if we need a point, Barry will be dropped sooner rather than later! He played excellent last two games though. Steve hasnt got the bottle to keep the big names out,ie lamps,rooney,beckham. :ninja: Euro 2008 here we come! :ninja:

I don't think barry is better than lampard as a player, but as eveybody has previously said lampard and gerrard in the middles just dos'nt work,

The one thing that the last two games prove kind off is that the best england team is not necessarily the team packed with so called world class players.

Guest Helston Patriot

Its a TEAM that plays well not Players.. BArry and Gerrard is the way forward. LAmps has had 25% more shots then anyother England player in the current squad.. There is NO I IN LAMPARD BUT THERE@S A U IN CU**!!

Guest Cornishdave1980

I am all for leaving Fat Frank out and using him from the bench, with regards to Barry v Hargreaves you have to way up wont you wont and who you want it against, i believe Barry should be used against teams were he is able to push on and express himself like he did against Israel(a fine display a attacking passing) however if we came up agianst teams that play extremely quick counterattck and also like to boss the midfield then you have to have Hargreaves for his speed and energy. If anyone thinks im way off them what are the alternatives??

Its an interesting dillema. England always seem to play better when Lampard is not in the team, the game seems to pass him by which means somebody else has to do his donkey work. I have no problem in playing Hargreaves. He has to be one of the best players in the game at his position. He is quick, spots danger immediately and has a tremendous footballing brain and very fit. Lampard makes hard work for everyone else. I have always rated Barry but at what position, he seemed very comfortable against Russia and linked up well with Joe and Ashley Cole. Perhaps England could play with five across the middle. You then have the problem of who plays up front. Heskey was excellent against Russia as was Owen. So where do you put Rooney. My view is you keep the front two as they are with Rooney either part of the middle five or initially on the bench. Gerrard wasn't his usual self but he is not 100% fit. I think Wright-Phillips is getting better every game, but is he just a flying winger. He has pace and energy and should be given another chance.

Terry and Ferdinand are fine, its good to see Terry not having to rely on Ferdinand all the time to help him out. I think we should stick with Robinson. If you only play with a back three then either Cole or Neville has to go but I don't like that either. What about Beckham. He is currently injured, will he regain full fitness, if he does then he plays, if not then although I would hate it - he would have to go, although I think he has one good championship left in him.

But Lampard I don't think so. I think what a coach has to do is have look at match videos to see just what he does and what his work ethic is. He is spolit at Chelsea but with England you have to put in that extra bit of effort and be more of a team man.

Guest Cornishdave1980

ECPL you make some great points, in particular the extra midfielder comment, i have never understood why England managers come on before a game and say "we expect them to defend deep and try and counter attack" and then they field a 4-4-2. Surely this is ideal to play 3-5-2 have an extra attacking option i.e. Rooney behind Owen and Heskey.

But hey thats a bold discision and we don't normally get them from England managers!!!!!!!!!!!!11