Cornwall Football Forum

Bryn Wheeler steps down at Falmouth Town

Cheers Rower we will catch up soon mate. I will pm you my mobile number bud. Thankyou Mr Howes. You always were my favourite Ref!! Yep you was there for the final game and final goal. Wouldnt have had it any other way mate. Haha. Thanks for putting up with the constant banter! Haha x

Wheeler heading to France to work in the very near future. This is 100% correct. Sorry to disapoint. Interesting now peoples real names have been matched to their Alias though after alot of background searches. Thanks for the help, you know who you are, haha. Although not surprised in the slightest. We would all expect nothing less from certain people. Maybe more should just go under their real names, but then again................

Good luck Bryn. Shared some good times mate! Watching Holland v Romania in the Amsters arena just before the Euro 2000 tournament over there, that sea of orange and only £8 to get in!!! The guilders stretched a long way back then, the euro ruined everything!! ;-). Also your Boxing Day winner against Truro at Bickland when we had 10 men after Sage tore the refs red card into about 100 pieces!! Top finisher and top bloke. Regards to Mr W mate x

Wheeler heading to France to work in the very near future. This is 100% correct. Sorry to disapoint. Interesting now peoples real names have been matched to their Alias though after alot of background searches. Thanks for the help, you know who you are, haha. Although not surprised in the slightest. We would all expect nothing less from certain people. Maybe more should just go under their real names, but then again................

Agree with that, after much research - wheeler is Ronnie Corbett.

Haha great times Rappo!!! The legendary Amsters tour still talked about by the Bickland faithful!! Couldnt have had a better finishing teacher than you mate!! Love to you and family mate. Passed ur love onto Mr W, me and the mrs was just around his place as i read it. He laughed about the Amsters part. Haha. X

Good luck Bryn. Shared some good times mate! Watching Holland v Romania in the Amsters arena just before the Euro 2000 tournament over there, that sea of orange and only £8 to get in!!! The guilders stretched a long way back then, the euro ruined everything!! ;-). Also your Boxing Day winner against Truro at Bickland when we had 10 men after Sage tore the refs red card into about 100 pieces!! Top finisher and top bloke. Regards to Mr W mate x

And the Vase hat trick at Warminster

Cant stop laughing about Sage and the Red Card lol

Just had a look at the programme-

newspaper headlines "Wheeler delivers Christmas Cracker"

Monday 27th December 1999 11-00am Att.400

Falmouth Town 3 Truro City 2 ht 1-0

FT.M.Rapsey 28mPen-J Carwardine H 85m-B.Wheeler 87m

TC. Steve Wherry 49m-Andy Street o/g 68m

Referee (**********)St.Austell (Adrian Street sent off 80m)

A picture of you Mark contesting the ball with Steve Allen

Mark/ Bryn-Did you play any matches on the Amsterdam tour? Just for the record

Mike we played our usual match against ESV Eindhoven and won 2-1 on a roasting hot day! Bryn put us 1-0 up first half and I had a header with about 20 to go. They had a consolation in injury time and a few days later we played a team called Ashdad Utd just outside of Amsterdam bout half hour on the coach. They were made up of Turks, a few Dutch lads and Eastern European gents and I remember they had a little Maradona type number 10 in midfield who looked too good to be playing for them. It was an evening game so a bit cooler and we ended up winning 5-4, i remember having a purple 20 minutes when I scored a hat-trick and hit the bar with a lob. Bryn dribbled past three or four players to put us 4-2 up with 15 to go but we ran out of steam( that's what 5 days in Amsters does for you!!!) and it was like the Alamo where they got it back to 4-4 and were all over us but we had a breakaway in about the 95th minute and I'm pretty sure Duncan Gillett hit a 30 yarder which was too hot for the keeper to hold and I tapped in a surprise winner! Think we had a pile up in the corner, not as good as Bryns against Truro but a great laugh all the same! Lovely clubhouse overlooking the pitch as most set ups in Holland are, you should have joined us for a few trips Mike, we met some great people over the years.

Reckon that 400 gate was a bit dodgy Mike!!! Seemed at least double that on the day! Remember at least what felt like a hundred Truro people shouting "Judas" at me when I was taking that penalty at 0-0!!! Might have been a Truro boy all my life but I'll always have the Black and Amber running through the veins mate! Can't help who you love can you!?! :-) To be honest I've had some fantastic times at some brilliant clubs and I wouldn't have changed a thing Mike (apart from being top scorer for Town)!!! Couple of injured seasons saw to that but to be fair people like Joey Scott and Tony Kellow are proper legends and deserve to be up there for years to come, would have felt almost guilty overtaking people like that. Mike what was the attendance at Bickland on that boxing day when they had to put the kick off back to 11.30 to get the crowd in? Remember that one? Think it was a dour 0-0 as well. :-(

Mike we played our usual match against ESV Eindhoven and won 2-1 on a roasting hot day! Bryn put us 1-0 up first half and I had a header with about 20 to go. They had a consolation in injury time and a few days later we played a team called Ashdad Utd just outside of Amsterdam bout half hour on the coach. They were made up of Turks, a few Dutch lads and Eastern European gents and I remember they had a little Maradona type number 10 in midfield who looked too good to be playing for them. It was an evening game so a bit cooler and we ended up winning 5-4, i remember having a purple 20 minutes when I scored a hat-trick and hit the bar with a lob. Bryn dribbled past three or four players to put us 4-2 up with 15 to go but we ran out of steam( that's what 5 days in Amsters does for you!!!) and it was like the Alamo where they got it back to 4-4 and were all over us but we had a breakaway in about the 95th minute and I'm pretty sure Duncan Gillett hit a 30 yarder which was too hot for the keeper to hold and I tapped in a surprise winner! Think we had a pile up in the corner, not as good as Bryns against Truro but a great laugh all the same! Lovely clubhouse overlooking the pitch as most set ups in Holland are, you should have joined us for a few trips Mike, we met some great people over the years.

Brilliant Mark-This is all new to me

Lets hear more from Tommy Matthews.John Dent.Duncan and Bryn etc.

Have to be honest, most of my memories from the Amsterdam trip have very little to do with football! I can remember the ESV game, Neil chose Colin Waters, as a wing back and Hughsie in the middle. I think they ran a total of 50 yards combined, the 'cake' they had for tea the previous night was very much in effect. Pretty sure the second game was mainly Far east folks, Chinese/Japanese but my god what a team. That no. 10, best player I ever faced without doubt. Remember Mad Dog shouting at me and Hughsie to pick him (not in those words). Think we just looked at each other, laughed and told him he was more than welcome to try. Primary tactic that day, hoof in left corner for Strikey to run onto, cross, Wheeler/Rappo finish, job done. Although strikey never matched the pace he had one night when a lady/man of the night came lurching towards her/his window, gone with the wind he was.

Great trip, from start to finish (sea sickness not included). Paddy Mac being taken back to the hotel as we were all heading out, Mitchy threatening to throw most people in the canals, Robbie Penock being himself, Brummie Bill bringing back enough baccy to retire on. And the cheap trainers most of purchased, about £10 compared to £80 at home. And me and Wheeler, well, the less said about that the better!!

Easy there gillo. Lets not delve to deep into that trip!!! Haha. Strikey legging it passed us all hotly followed by a lady boy was a highlight!!! Never seen him move so quickly. So adamant he was a she while gawking in the window! Haha. I remember Brummy Bill had me down for 1st goalscorer in opening game and he cane running onto pitch and jumped in me when i scored. Won him a load of guilders!!! Class trip. What a team!! Undefeated in European football!! Then there was TEASERS..............and the Wheeler strip tease show infront of a packed house!!!! And 2 Thai birds!! Haha

Haha great days mate!! Think I had more pleasure watching you lot make your Amsters debut Bryn than I had myself!! You get fed up with it after the 20th time!! Still got my Ajax supporters club card somewhere bud!! Could write a book bout the place but better not eh mate!? Still chuckle to myself now when I think of the late great Dave G walking past a street mime artist bloke that didnt even move an inch for at least 20 minutes and flicked him in the bollocks!! Old matey went down like a sack of spuds and was all painted in silver groaning and rolling around the floor like Saurez!! And that's not even in the top 10 laughs! All the best mate x