Cornwall Football Forum

Refereeing courses

Can anyone please tell me if you can just pay your money and take the exam to become a ref ? If this is not possible then why not as i heard that people who take the exam never fail.

I'm only asking this as i would like to help out when I'm not playing but have'nt got time to spend 6/8 weeks learning the rules and regs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Of course you don't have to be qualified to referee a game.

I did 3 last season and have done a friendly this season. Enjoyed them all. And, as I marked the ref for my club, I got really good marks. (Amazed I didn't get offered a final or two!)

As soon as the game starts, you count as an official ref. You're covered by the county insurance and if you caution or dismiss a player, then it works just the same as a "proper" ref. (You must send in the forms for cautions and dismissals to County F.A. You can get one off any "proper"ref.)

At Crowntown, they keep spare whistles, flags, cards and notebook, just in case.

But it ain't as easy at it looks.

I did qualify as a ref, but it was in 1978. I gather that it's out of date now.

Goalies had to bounce the ball every three steps and you could pass back to him as often as you like. (The good old days)

A CORRECTION IS IN ORDER.

THIS SEASON YOU DO HAVE TO BE A QUALIFIED REFEREE AND, EVEN MORE IMPORTANTLY, YOU NEED TO HAVE YOUR CRB CHECK DONE TO THE FA STANDARDS BEFORE YOU ARE GIVEN ANY APPOINTMENTS.

ONCE AGAIN - NO REF, NO GAME.

To get appointments, you certainly need to be qualified and CRB checked. However, the games I've reffed, either there was no ref appointed or the ref didn't turn up and I volunteered.

I have had no information from the F.A. that this is no longer allowed. All publications I've read tell me the bit about if clubs agree a substitute ref, then he becomes official for the game. Can you point me in the right direction?

If an innocent bystander isn't allowed to take otherwise abandoned games, I can see the end of grass roots leagues screaming over the horizon.