Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL MATCH OFF Callington v Torpoint

Isn't football wonderful, no sooner the message is posted up pops a chairman of another club having his say. Another says kick them out. Why not hang them that would surely solve the problem.

There is no question that Callington are having problems, but come on guys, pull together. They have lost their Duchy side and decided not to go for the SWPL premier division. They are a club who survive without having their own money making social club, I understand they cant pay players yet they have a terrific youth set up both boys and girls and already the knives are out. Perhaps Mr Long can come on and offer some reasons and possible solutions.

well well well, hate to say I told you so, but nothing short of expected. Feel sorry for Andy Long for having to have had to pick up the pieces after Bernard left with his cash. However I cannot understand why the 3rd team was disbanded, to me it made sense that as the 1st team has always struggled, and after their best finish last year, were not adequate enough for the Peninsula league, I would have thought it better for the stability of the club to have got rid of the 1st team, and have a half decent east cornwall side that can again progress through the leagues if good enough, with the 3rd team having links with the colts to feed the decent youth through.

It upsets me all the hard work that has gone in to establishing the club, seems to be now left in tatters. There were plenty of players that have east cornwall experience, and wore the callington colours with pride, and were local, myself included (fitness admittedly an issue), that were left on the scrapheap for youth, by what now appears to be a totally incompetant manager in terms of getting players into the club. Call me bitter as much as you like, but it is better to have 12-16 players who want to play for the club, and would give blood for the club, than not be able to raise a side at all.

I cannot say hand on heart I am happy with the situation the club has got into, but for a number of local players all our bitching and moaning has proved right.

After 16years of service to the club, I would be gutted to see things carry on on the path it is going, and I just hope this is a blip of unforeseen circumstances, and a side is available next week.

If not emergency measures and meetings on how the club can get back on track should be thought of. Any local players who have represented Callington and still have its best interests at heart should also have the right to steer the club back in the right direction.

BEEN IN THE MIDDLE AND ON THE LINE FOR ALL THREE CALLINGTON TEAMS LAST SEASON.

OKAY, A FEW TEAM OFFICIALS ARE A BIT LOUD AND COLOURFUL ABOUT MY DECISIONS AND ONE OR TWO OF THE PLAYERS NEEDED TO BE BROUGHT DOWN A PEG OR TWO BUT THAT IS PART OF FOOTBALL.

CALLINGTON FOOTBALL CLUB IS HAVING A REAL STRUGGLE AND COULD DO WITH A BIT OF EMPATHY AND SUPPORT AT A TIME LIKE THIS.

PLEASE REMEMBER, NEXT SEASON YOUR TEAM MAY BE HAVING DIFFICULTIES LIKE THIS. I ASSUME THAT WE WOULD RALLY AROUND AND HELP EACH OTHER OUT.