Cornwall Football Forum

ENGLAND SQUAD ANNOUNCED

Coopsie

Steve McClaren has announced his England squad for the European Championship qualifiers for Israel and Russia.

Aaron Lennon who is set to return from injury at the weekend has been omitted from the squad despite injuries to David Beckham and Kieron Dyer.

Paul Robinson is set to battle for the number one spot with in form Portsmouth goalkeeper David James.

While Jermain Defoe is probably set to watch from the stands as per his usual instructions from McClaren.

Full Squad: Robinson, James, Carson, Richards, Brown, Ferdinand, Terry, A. Cole, Campbell, P. Neville, Shorey, Bentley, Gerrard, Lampard, J.Cole, Wright-Phillips, Carrick, Barry, Downing, A. Young, Hargreaves, Smith, Owen, Crouch, Defoe

How on earth can Michael Owen be considered for England when he has only played 14 games in the past two years and, before this week, his last goal was nearly two years ago?

There isn't that much of a striker shortage that he is needed. The manager ought to thank him for what he's done in the past and move on to someone who is fitter, less injury prone and in form at present, not say, "well, he was fit in 2002"

Alan Smith in AGAIN and Bent left out????. When was the last time Smith actually scored or played 5 games in a row for that matter, let alone deserved an international call up. McClaren wouldn't even use Defoe in a friendly so it's fairly certain that he'll not be involved in any qualifying games, therefore it's fair to assume that we'll have Smith and Owen upfront for these crunch fixtures. Is Crouch not banned for the first game?. Don't even get me started on Phil Bloody Neville or Wes Brown and what the heck is Ashley Young doing in there when he's constantly outshone by his team-mate Gabriel Agbonlahor and Aaron Lennon is fit for the Spurs game on saturday but isn't even considered.

It's probably fair to assume that the team will be:

Robinson

Richards

Terry

Ferdinand

A. Cole

Gerrard (wasted out on the right to accomodate fat Frank)

Hargreaves

Lampard

J. Cole

A. Smith

M. Owen

I'm sure the opposition are literally shitting themselves. :wacko:

CornishDave, it looks like our preminition of not qualifying and the clueless McClaren getting the boot may come into fruition?.

Guest Cornishdave1980

So we have 4 strikers on the bench who this season have scored(correct me if im wrong) 0 goals between them, If i was Defoe or even Johnson and Bent i start doing a Carragher!

Micheal Owen is a spent force living on the rep of a Hatrick against Germany and 2 goals against Argentina in 05.

They always used to say its harder to get out of the england squad than it is to get in(Emile Heskey for one)

u lot r so negitive , u should get behind ur country and stop slating them , we always play better against better opposition and in the end cream always rises 2 the top so watch this space you,ll all b eating ur words come the end of the 2 qualifiers :o:thumbsup: :wacko:

Guest Cornishdave1980

Your right there is nothing wrong with being Patriotic, however you still need to be realistic.

JOJO if the cream always rises to the top then Englands cream is sour as we haven't been at the top in over 40 years.

Guest class of 93

Sorry but owen is the only proven scorer we have at this level(apart from maybe crouch) ,end of story!!Whilst i disagree with some of mclarens picks i reckon hes spot on with owen!!

How can McLaren select Defoe Coopsie when he is not a regular for his club side?

Michael Owen at least does look like a striker who wants to play for his country and is proud to be there.

Have to agree about Alan Smith,he is not an out and out goalscorer but,because of injuries to certain players,he has the experience to play there.Don't know if this is the right time to experiment with untried players,one game away from a vital qualifier.

Guest Cornishdave1980

England have six so called strikers in the squad who between them have only scored 1 goal this year in the prem. With both Fat Frank out and Gerrard unlikely to play both games where are the goals going to come from?

Maybe some of the fringe players might take this oppurtunity whilst the big names are missing and put on a display that says why are we worried.

I think with the team that is likely to play it will make England more direct and possbily quicker therefore i think a partnership of Owen and Johnson could florish. Hopefully they will put Joe Cole into the middle to offer something different.

How can McLaren select Defoe Coopsie when he is not a regular for his club side?

Michael Owen at least does look like a striker who wants to play for his country and is proud to be there.

Have to agree about Alan Smith,he is not an out and out goalscorer but,because of injuries to certain players,he has the experience to play there.Don't know if this is the right time to experiment with untried players,one game away from a vital qualifier.

See your point SF but I'll bet you £50 that Defoe has started more games for his club than owen has over the last 2 years and scored more goals aswell. Players are always going to be untried until they are given a chance aren't they?. Perhaps giving the fringe players a chance to shine or prove themselves is exactly what is needed because those guys would play their heart out in the hope of keeping their shirt for the next fixture.

Class of 93, Owen is indeed the only proven goalscorer BUT he's only half the player he was when he proved himself.His weapon was his pace but he doesn't have that anymore. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't think he's as good as the other strikers that are selected and that will be proven when every other English striker considered for England outscores him this season. The thing is,it's been proven in the past with Bent that being the top scorer (english) in the league doesn't mean anything because the players with the big reputation ALWAYS get selected, even if they haven't scored a goal or played only 14 games in 2 years (owen) or haven't scored an international goal for 2 years (Rooney).

Everybody will now say "but you have to play Owen and Rooney because they are world class"... Perhaps they are but if they aren't performing, they should be dropped just like any other player would and made to realise that they have to work for their shirt just the same as everybody else does.

Guest class of 93

"I just don't think he's as good as the other strikers that are selected and that will be proven when every other English striker considered for England outscores him this season"

crouch ,defoe and smith ???they are hardly getting a game!!

I agree with you JOJO,

the moaners are at it again, I repeat what I have said on this Forum before,

Could any of these moaning minies, do better, :glare:

If the believe that they could, the next time England need a new Manager, maybe they will put in for the job, then we will see if they can do better?, I look forward to that day, in the mean time as you say JOJO, let's get behind the team,

Hammers :thumbsup::c: :c:

We've already said that WE ARE BEHIND THE TEAM. The frustrations are from players being picked on reputation alone and not form.

Class of 93, you said "crouch ,defoe and smith ???they are hardly getting a game!!". Crouch and Defoe have played more football in 3 months than Owen and Smith have played in 2 years but you'd still have Owen as the 1st name on your team sheet wouldn't you?.

Crouch was on the bench for most of last season but was Liverpool's top scorer, top assist's, top pass completion and most fouled player. Defoe was on the bench most of last season but only finished 2 goals behind Robbie Keane and 4 behind Berbatov.

Those stats alone will show that if you give these guys a chance, they will perform. That goes for the likes of Bentley, Bridge,Dawson, King,Foster and any other fringe player. The hunger is the main thing that England have lacked for years and ironically it's Guus Hiddink that has stepped forward to make this public. He says "England are scared to win and have massively underachieved at the last 2 world cups". He's absolutely right and surely nobody can argue?.

Perhaps if we had a manager that was not a gutless yes man, a manager that would drop underperforming players no matter who they are, a manager that would put players on the pitch that deserve to be there because of form, rather than something the did a couple of years ago, a manager that has BALLS then we may stop being the perennial underachievers and finally start to produce what we all know an England squad should be capable of.

YES i want the team to be at the euro's, YES i want the team to be at the world cup and YES i dearly wish that we could go on to win one of those tournaments. The problem is that with the wrong manager incharge and the wrong players CONSTANTLY being selected, there is a huge chance that we may not qualify for the euro's and absolutely no chance whatsoever of us winning either tournament.

So you see jojo and class of 93, I AM BEHIND MY COUNTRY but i'm just way too realistic not to allow sentiment to get in the way of reality.

players reputations are preceeding them it appears!!

they should choose players that wear the england shirt with pride and because its an honour to play for their country, look at the french rugby team, every time they play the passion they play with, and they don't do it for themselves, they do it for their country as they see it as an honour and not a priveledge!!

Absoflippinlutely local boy. Could not agree more. Too many England squad members are there because they know they will be selected, rather than being there because they actually want to play for their shirt. As much as I didn't want Becks called back into the team, look at the effect being dropped had on him as a player and a person. He went away and worked harder than ever to get himself back in the reckoning. Who's to say that the same effect would not be had on fat Frank or Robinson or Ferdinand or Owen or Rooney or anybody else that simply isn't performing as well we and they know they should be. The likes of Owen, Ferdinand, Lampard, Rooney don't have to try their hardest because they know that they will be given the nod by the manager when it comes to the crunch.

Certain players just have the heart of "three lions", such as Terry, Gerrard and even Crouch. They never give less than 100% and would tread through the shit of each and every one of us to get into their England shirt. Too many players don't need to make an effort because they have the knowledge that the man incharge is a nobody that's done nothing and will select them even if they only have one leg.

Every body seems to think that they know the best players for the England team, so why don't you get together, work out who you believe would make the best team, & send your sugestions into McClaren,

you never know he may well take your advice, :unsure:

or is that a pipe dream of mine?

Hammers :thumbsup::c: :c:

Guest Cornishdave1980

Hammers football supporting is based on opinions which makes it was of the best sports in the world.

When you have a majority who's opinions seem to match each other than you have to consider do the gernal public have a point! it is not a one off comment that McClarens choices are strange it is supported throughout this thread. And when you post comments about emailing our suggestions to McClaren to use well im sure than FA would look at them and think "oh my god their right, better cover this up and look like we know what were doing".

And one final point for both Hammer and Jojo, i really do hope England win both games and Emile Heskey sticks two finger up to the doubters by scoring a hatrick. We will see soon!!!!!!

Guest el nino

Macclaren has to play Heskey now that he has brought him back, i dont think he would have brought him back just to do Defoes job(sit on the bench). I hope he goes play well, He will only be in the squad untill Wazza's back any way! I think we will have to much for Israel, Russia will be a diffrent matter! :c:

Guest Cornishdave1980

I think if Heskey can keep his confidence he will be a major problem for Russia but of course that all depnds on the first game because Crouch is available for the 2nd game.

I wouldn't want to pick the wingers either after this weekend, Downing, Wright-Philips, Bentley and Pennant all played very well

Guest el nino

The wingers is a dead easy selection, wright phillips on the right and j.cole on the left, he may even put carrick in the middle instead of hargreaves as the israelies wont come at us all guns blazing. I would play Owen and Johnson up front!!! :thumbsup:

Guest Cornishdave1980

but has Cole played this year? i know he's class on all but i goes back to the point why does the england manager never pick an inform player?????

i personnally would go for Wright Philips and Bently.

We know Isreal will sit back so why not lose a defender and add a midfielder or is that to adventrous?????

Guest el nino

Carrick instead of Hargreaves would solve the attaking option, as he would ho;d but have the passing range that Hargreaves lacks. My team would be -

Robbo

Richards Terry Cole

Ferdinand

Wright P Carrick J Cole

Gerrard

Owen Johnson

How about that? What would youre team look like?

Guest el nino

You wouldnt risk Gerrard for a game that we need to win??? There is talk of Lampard being fir for the Russia game? :o We could always play Smith in the middle of the park aswell?

1, I HAVE READ IN DISBELIEF ON THIS FORUM THAT PEOPLE ARE CLAIMING THAT CROUCH IS THE ANSWER FOR ENGLAND. OK HE HAS SCORED A FEW GOALS FOR ENGLAND BUT IT IS ALWAYS AGAINST WEAK OPPOSITION BUT AGAINST THE STRONG OPPOSITION HE BARELY GETS A TOUCH AND COMMITS FOUL AFTER FOUL AND THEN THE REST OF THE TEAM GETS IN TO THE MINDSET OF JUST HITTING THE BALL LONG TO HIM AND WE STOP PLAYING FOOTBALL

2, On the subject of wingers and strikers lets play the players who have been playing for their clubs and who are in form eg wright-phillips and bentley not joe cole who has only had about an hours football this season. michael owen needs at least 10 more games under his belt at club level before he should even be considered.

3 i personally would play hargreaves and carrick and push steven gerrard forward to play behind the forward (andrew johnson) as he is creative on the ball and will also defend from the front putting the israel defence under pressure

but that is why i manage mawgan and not england

I think we should just wait and see what happens don’t you, I’m not a big fan of Steve Mclarens and in my opinion I think the current squad is poor but then again with the injuries we don’t seem to have a lot of choice, I see some of you are harping on about some of your supported teams players not making the squad, I would be very happy right now if were you because if any of those players picked do get serious injuries then it could put them out of your favourite club team for some time (then what would you say).

Just look at big Dean Ashton last season got injured training (for a friendly admittedly) but was out for the rest of the season which as a West Ham fan was a nightmare.

My squad would have been:

William Maynard - 1st Surrey Rifles

Ernest Greenhalgh - Notts. County

Reginald Welch - Wanderers

Frederick Maddison - Oxford University

Robert Barker - Hertfordshire Rangers

John Brockbank - Cambridge University

John Clegg - Sheffield Wednesday

Arnold Smith - Oxford University

Cuthbert Ottaway - Oxford University

Charles Chenery - Crystal Palace

Charles Morice - Barnes

Now I’m sure some of you people out there can remember these boys :clapper:

All said and done though I would and always will support my country. :c:

Guest stealth

cockerkneeboy fair shout about getting behind the national team we must do that. but wot eva team he selects will all ways be wrong in most peoples eyes. And in my view he's only england manager because everyone else turned it down and he was the only one the F.A know that if they tell him to jump, mc'claren wood reply HOW HIGH .

Cornishdave1980,

I agree with you, I very much want England to win, & yes there may well be a majority on this forum who feel that McClaren is no good as the Manager, you will always get someone who is against whoever you have as England Manager,

But you have to admit, that by virtue of some of the Comments on this Forum with regards to the England Manager, there are some Forum Members who give the impression that no matter who you had as Manager they would still find fault,

to find fault with a manager is far easier than to praise him,

it can be frustrating somtimes watching England play, but I believe that against Germany there were positive signs,

Hammers :yahoo::blink::c: :c:

Guest Cornishdave1980

Hammers i see your point, its very easy to be pulled in by the media hype and the amount of money they earn. I feel like so many do that when you put out a team that we do you expect a riot everytime we play someone far below us on the World Rankings. I think we need to except that while its England plan to make it to a final first and entertain later, whilst their oppenents only and possbily biggest objection during a qualifing period is to scrape a result of some kind against England, which invariably means a ten man defence.

Not sure if some have read my post the wrong way about the currant England manager, I said that I am not a fan of his just as I was not a fan of Sven or the likes of Graham Taylor and I understand that some may not like the fella but personally I do not know him and I was just saying I was not a fan.

With regards to the players that are picked, I do understand that every fan in England has their own idea of who should play and also their own (ideal) England starting 11 (with all players fit) but we must remember one thing, The fellas we see week in and week out are all professional players who keep themselves in trim condition and should be ready to play not just for there clubs but for the country at anytime if needed although it is my opinion that the current squad is a little poor, (Just my view though).

I for one will be 100% behind the current England manager and the squad (just because I’m not a fan of his does not make me hate the fella or the players).

I’m sure I will be corrected about my comments in earlier/later posts but that’s my opinion for what it is worth (Properly not much) and I’m sticking to it.

Guest class of 93

How on earth can Michael Owen be considered for England when he has only played 14 games in the past two years and, before this week, his last goal was nearly two years ago?

There isn't that much of a striker shortage that he is needed. The manager ought to thank him for what he's done in the past and move on to someone who is fitter, less injury prone and in form at present, not say, "well, he was fit in 2002"

Cornishdave ,i think you said this,

"Micheal Owen is a spent force living on the rep of a Hatrick against Germany and 2 goals against Argentina in 05"

OK if you say so boys!!!!

I think England should permanantly play 3 - 5 - 2

Play to our strengths, decent centre backs & Gerrard & Lamps.

Robbo / Green / Who ever

Ferdinand

Terry

Carragher / Dawson/ King / Lescott / Richards

Richards / Lennon / Neville / SWP / Beckham

Hargreaves / Carrick

Gerrard

Lampard / J Cole / Lennon / Beckham

A Cole / J Cole/ Shorey/ Baines / Barry

Owen / Bent / Defoe / Johnson

Crouch / Rooney

Probably missed a few players out that others think should be in but depending who you are playing would affect your wing back picking - e.g. you wouldnt play lennon out wide when his main job would be defending but against wekaer oppositions we have no worries playing him there/ Against stronger oppostion you may give him a free role and tell him to run at people and scare the Sh*t out of them. drift right / drift left / go through the centre just make a nuisance of yourself.

Terry, Ferdinand, Richards, Lennon, Gerrard would be the only 5 I wouldnt drop depending on the oppositon unless they are suffering through sever lack of form

Guest Cornishdave1980

Im glad you can all say i told you so! 2 great results, 2 great performances and best of all the players who stepped up to fill the gaps played brilliant!

However with Fat Frank, Rooney, Beckham, Hargreaves and Neville all due to return will McClaren break up a winning formula?????

I believe the England team that has just played the last 2 games has been the most fluentent team i have seen in ages, offering but solidarity but also different options of attack rather than the ball to Beckham and then cross, but with the pressures of having to play Rooney and Fat Frank will Steve upset the apple cart for the sake of popurlarity???

Guest Helston Patriot

Well he was fit in 2002!! Famous last words...

Micheal Owen is a spent force living on the rep of a Hatrick against Germany and 2 goals against Argentina in 05.

Another cracking quote.. Owen now is the forth player ever to score 40 goals for England.

u lot r so negitive , u should get behind ur country and stop slating them , we always play better against better opposition and in the end cream always rises 2 the top so watch this space you,ll all b eating ur words come the end of the 2 qualifiers :o:thumbsup::wacko:

JOJO.... A man of sence...

Guest Cornishdave1980

We can let JOJO have the last laugh, well done son!!! however would he ever have picked that team for an internation??? i doubt. The outcome was great at at no point did anyone want England to lose but a few of us did believe they were pucnhing way below their weight.

With the next internationals in Oct, one of which is in Russia will McClaren stick with this very enterprising and overall winning team or will he as expected return all the so cold big guns!