Cornwall Football Forum

failing to raise a side - what can the Trelawney league do?

I've been looking through the different leagues and can't help notice all the unfulfilled fixtures in the Trewlawney league. So far there has been 53 games where a team has been unable to raise a side.

In comparison the Duchy League have lost 3 games from their 6 divisions.

I see in the Duchy league the offending team is deducted 3 points. This does not happen in the Trelawney.

I dont know if there are any fines in place in either leagues, but in the combo Newquay failed to raise a side and were deducted 3 points and fined £200.

What can be done to help stop this?

I'd like to see the 3 point deduction to the offending team brought in.

I know sometimes there are genuine reasons but sometimes it seems to easy for clubs to say bugger it, we can't be bothered!

Is there just too many teams in the Trelawney league?

Or is this something we will just have to put up with, many players find that working terms and conditions include weekend working or zero hour contracts that have to take priority over sport.

to be fair their result saturday meant they would not win the title. ...and I think gwinnear gained points from st.erme not fulfilling a fixture last week. Admittedly it is disappointing when teams can not fulfil a fixture...we would all rather play than get given points

Good chance Gwinear will miss out on the I've five title (if results go heir way) because Ludgvan couldn't be arsed to play Helston!

I wonder what percentage of these games were evening games? If it turned out that the majority were evening games then perhaps some clever (and flexible) fixturing would sort this out.

Fully appreciate that the weather played its part in the fixture pile up this year but we have to assume that this could happen again next year in my opinion.

Also... how many teams at the top or bottom of their respective leagues called games off? If teams with nothing to play for are forfeiting games then I fully agree on the point deduction as this does affect other teams playing for promotion/relagation

Reducing the number of teams in each division would be a good start. Less teams = less games.

Our reserves had to give away the points a few weeks ago (first time it's ever happened at this club) because we simply couldn't raise enough players, mainly due to cricket. Each of our sides have lost 2-3 players each due to the cricket season. That's about 6 from the club which combined with a couple of long term injuries has made a serious dent in our squad. We can't be the only club out there affected by this issue as it happens almost every year!

Surely a bit of work between both the football and cricket league committees could surely get rid of this issue so that both seasons don't overlap?

Also when both our 1st and 2nd team are fixtured with games on the same midweek evening that doesn't help either as finding at least 22 lads who are not at work or can get away early is also very tough, sometimes raising 11 for a midweek game is hard enough! Especially when you've got teams from the Camborne/Redruth area having to travel down Penzance way or even to the Lizard, and of course vice versa.

Obviously all the postponed games due to rain hasn't helped but if we had less games over the course of the season we wouldn't get such a backlog at the end of every season.

I don't think docking points or fining clubs is the way forward, it certainly wouldn't have changed anything for us the other week as we simply didn't have enough players available. We should be looking at changes that can be made from the top to help avoid this issue rather than dishing out punishments to the clubs.

• Less teams in each division = less games
  • Try to arrange only one fixture for each club per midweek day.i.e instead of having a 1st and 2nd team both playing on a Tuesday change it so one team plays Tuesday and the other on the Wednesday, allowing the 1st team to call on 2nd team players and for the 2nd team to take the maximum 2 1st team players
  • Limit the amount of new teams entering the league that fall in the same 'catchment area' as existing clubs. It was mentioned the other day that the amount of teams in the Camborne area is dangerously high, less clubs should mean larger squads.
  • Get the football and cricket leagues working together to try and reduce the number of players who suddenly become unavailable for football in the last Saturdays of the season.

Good chance Gwinear will miss out on the I've five title (if results go heir way) because Ludgvan couldn't be arsed to play Helston!

Unfortunately we (Ludgvan) only found out last Friday that we were fixtured to play Helston on Monday night. A lot of our lads work shifts and arrange to take time off throughout the season to play football however there's no way we could do this with such short notice. 7 of the lads who played against Gwinear on Saturday were working on Monday evening plus some of the other squad members as well.

It's not a question of "not being arsed to play", it's a matter of having players available. No doubt if we'd turned up at Helston with 7 players someone would have whinged about that as well.

The league title has been there for the taking over the past few days. If Gwinear & Camborne Park had been able to win their respective games it would have been all over but that didn't happen did it !

Reducing the number of teams in each division would be a good start. Less teams = less games.

Our reserves had to give away the points a few weeks ago (first time it's ever happened at this club) because we simply couldn't raise enough players, mainly due to cricket. Each of our sides have lost 2-3 players each due to the cricket season. That's about 6 from the club which combined with a couple of long term injuries has made a serious dent in our squad. We can't be the only club out there affected by this issue as it happens almost every year!

Surely a bit of work between both the football and cricket league committees could surely get rid of this issue so that both seasons don't overlap?

Also when both our 1st and 2nd team are fixtured with games on the same midweek evening that doesn't help either as finding at least 22 lads who are not at work or can get away early is also very tough, sometimes raising 11 for a midweek game is hard enough! Especially when you've got teams from the Camborne/Redruth area having to travel down Penzance way or even to the Lizard, and of course vice versa.

Obviously all the postponed games due to rain hasn't helped but if we had less games over the course of the season we wouldn't get such a backlog at the end of every season.

I don't think docking points or fining clubs is the way forward, it certainly wouldn't have changed anything for us the other week as we simply didn't have enough players available. We should be looking at changes that can be made from the top to help avoid this issue rather than dishing out punishments to the clubs.

• Try to arrange only one fixture for each club per midweek day.i.e instead of having a 1st and 2nd team both playing on a Tuesday change it so one team plays Tuesday and the other on the Wednesday, allowing the 1st team to call on 2nd team players and for the 2nd team to take the maximum 2 1st team players
  • Limit the amount of new teams entering the league that fall in the same 'catchment area' as existing clubs. It was mentioned the other day that the amount of teams in the Camborne area is dangerously high, less clubs should mean larger squads.
  • Get the football and cricket leagues working together to try and reduce the number of players who suddenly become unavailable for football in the last Saturdays of the season.

having one game a week during the evening fixtures will make no difference because of the qualification rules for the leagues - can only play a limited number of players from a higher team and vice versa.

getting rid of the cup competitions early would also help

The Duchy League deduct the offending team 3pts. But also fine them £50-00.

Maybe this is the way to go in the Trelawney then, It seems to have an effect in the East. Can't blame everything on the weather and Referee's! :D

Trelawny League clubs voted to increase the league sizes from 14 to 16 at the beginning of the season, now ANOTHER league re-format? Agree with one club fixture on a week day though.

I would also like to see the more distant games scheduled for early season and late season Saturdays. If you play the more local games during the worst weather, there is a better chance of getting a team for the fixture midweek if it is rearranged.

jeff stelling

. Try to arrange only one fixture for each club per midweek day.i.e instead of having a 1st and 2nd team both playing on a Tuesday change it so one team plays Tuesday and the other on the Wednesday, allowing the 1st team to call on 2nd team players and for the 2nd team to take the maximum 2 1st team players

I do agree, i've seen a number of clubs fixtured for two games on the same evening which must test the resources of the clubs involved. Strange though on the nights i've seen this, the teams have got both sides out.

Trelawny League clubs voted to increase the league sizes from 14 to 16 at the beginning of the season, now ANOTHER league re-format? Agree with one club fixture on a week day though.

I would also like to see the more distant games scheduled for early season and late season Saturdays. If you play the more local games during the worst weather, there is a better chance of getting a team for the fixture midweek if it is rearranged.

Evening games would be helpful if they were local, but cant really blame the travelling either, furthest travel in Trelawney probably St Buryan to Truro (approx 30mile) compare that with tregony or probus to bude or torpoint, i would say more miles travelled in the Duchy. Maybe they didn't have as many evening games or the fixture secretary has been on top of his game.

having one game a week during the evening fixtures will make no difference because of the qualification rules for the leagues - can only play a limited number of players from a higher team and vice versa.

getting rid of the cup competitions early would also help

I agree, but we usually find that we're there or there abouts in terms of numbers during midweek, either with bare 11 or on a bad day maybe 9 or 10 available. So being able to take the two extra players either from 2nds to 1st or 1st to 2nds would help.

We could certainly play more of the early rounds of the cups earlier in the season, maybe saving the finals for April/May?

Can't get my head around why the clubs voted that way, surely 26 league games plus two cups is more than enough games for each team? As you say though, it was voted in by the clubs so not much we can do.

Trying to arrange more local games midweek would certainly be one idea. We've had several midweek games around Penzance and even had to travel to the Lizard from Camborne on one evening (I'm sure others have had similar or worse midweek trips). I know it's a nightmare to organise for the fixture secretary but keeping the games local would increase the number of available players I would imagine.

I would like to mention that in no way am I criticising the brilliant job that Steve Carpenter does as there are a hell of a lot of games to try and squeeze in. I'm just providing some suggestions to the opening post to increase the discussion. As I've said we've only had to pull out of one game in the 5-6 years that our club has been running so it's not something that affects us that badly but I know that other sides do struggle.

We should play a few evening games at the start of the season when everyone's still keen. Then if games are called off due to the weather it won't have such an impact. Most clubs have loads of players signed on at the start so having enough players shouldn't be an issue.

We should play a few evening games at the start of the season when everyone's still keen. Then if games are called off due to the weather it won't have such an impact. Most clubs have loads of players signed on at the start so having enough players shouldn't be an issue.

Totally agree with this,get evening games out of the way early in the season and losing games further on to bad weather won't have the impact it has had this season,also increasing the chances of games being played and not cancelled due to lack of players.

Evening games would be helpful if they were local, but cant really blame the travelling either, furthest travel in Trelawney probably St Buryan to Truro (approx 30mile) compare that with tregony or probus to bude or torpoint, i would say more miles travelled in the Duchy. Maybe they didn't have as many evening games or the fixture secretary has been on top of his game.

Probus play in the duchy Prem. Which has only 14 teams, 26 league games. Even with a lot of cancelations this season, they still only played 2 evening games.

All six divisions have the same amount of teams.