Cornwall Football Forum

Sunday 19th May Cup Finals

At Helston Football Club today!

Lockhart Cup Final between St Ives Reserves & Wendron Reserves 1.30 KO

Followed by the Percy Stephens Cup Final between Illogan RBL Reserves & West Cornwall 3.30 KO

If you have no plans this avo be sure to get down there, weathers looking ok, all good footballing sides and plenty of refreshments available!!!

wendron won 2-1... west Cornwall currently 2-0 up agsinst illogan in percy Stephens cup final

0-0 when i left at 25mins but St.Ives struck the inside of the far post with a free-kick.Yeti not troubled by a couple of Wendron attacks.

Entertaining game though.

I hear that it is 1-0 to St.Ives Town at half time.

Guest BenTheYeti

Congratulations to everyone at Wendron on a great season and getting the result today

Match report will come, unfortunately I've been ill for 3 days so 90 minutes today has finished me off and I need a few days in bed!

West Cornwall 4 - 4 Illogan res (ht 2-2)

Pens 4-3 to west Cornwall

Doubt anyone from west Cornwall will read this until tomorrow morning and when they do they will have a massive hang over but well done today and didn't see that coming!

90 mins was quite even but thought they had won when they scored with just minutes to spare but we did manage to equalise in the last minute to take it to extra time. Missed a couple of very good chances and it went to the dreaded pens, best way to win but worst way to lose.

Pens went to 3-3 no misses then we missed, wc scored and we missed again, GAME OVER!

Thought Carl Palmer for west Cornwall had a cracking game and the short no.4 (sorry dont know the name) wouldn't say there were any standout performances for Illogan with no one really stamping their authority on the game. Congratulations Martin and all of west Cornwall great bunch of lads.

West Cornwall 4 - 4 Illogan res (ht 2-2)

Pens 4-3 to west Cornwall

Doubt anyone from west Cornwall will read this until tomorrow morning and when they do they will have a massive hang over but well done today and didn't see that coming!

90 mins was quite even but thought they had won when they scored with just minutes to spare but we did manage to equalise in the last minute to take it to extra time. Missed a couple of very good chances and it went to the dreaded pens, best way to win but worst way to lose.

Pens went to 3-3 no misses then we missed, wc scored and we missed again, GAME OVER!

Thought Carl Palmer for west Cornwall had a cracking game and the short no.4 (sorry dont know the name) wouldn't say there were any standout performances for Illogan with no one really stamping their authority on the game. Congratulations Martin and all of west Cornwall great bunch of lads.

short number 4 I believe was Toby Ellis

Lockhart Cup Final

Wendron 2-1 St Ives

Got to admit St Ives were the better side on the day and very much a smash and grab from us at Wendron today.

Over the moon to be just 1-0 down at half time and 2 goals from set pieces gave us the lead and then defended stoutly to hold onto the lead, with some great saves from our keeper.

Having played Frogpool, Penryn, Titans and St Ives in this cup its been a tough run but the character of the team showed in the second half today to finish the season with a cup win.

Over to you Yeti for a more comprehensive report (when you're out of bed)

Fair play shifty we knew we could you give you a game today. And after 20 minutes we realised that not only could we give you a game but we could dominate, I'm so proud of the boys efforts but they stalled after half time and you found our weakness, but even after that when all was said and done your goalie needed to be the hero, great game I've got some boys who are low biut maybe that was one for one over 2 cup finals, great season from everyone a really good division and I hope we did out philopshy proud today, long love the saints, congrats wendron.

What a game!! Swung both ways. Illogan showed their character coming from 2 down to go in front, then we showed ours to pull it back and retake the lead. Thought we had it won but Illogan scored with 30 seconds left! The way the game went though you could see it coming!

Penalties is a lottery, so don't let that take anything away from a brilliant 120 minutes before that. £2 to watch, I'd say that's an absolute steal! Massive credit to Illogan, considering they are used to winning everything!!! they were gracious in defeat. That, along with their undeniable quality, is what stands them apart from every other junior side, and is why they are the benchmark for everyone else. Pure class on and off the pitch.

As for us, a lot of sore heads this morning. Was a pleasure to be a part of such a great final. Thanks must go to Helston for hosting it, and the pitch was in top condition as always. Also well done to the 3 officials who were superb, and I would of said that if we lost!!!

Good luck to Illogan for their Dunn Cup final next week, still on for a treble, not a bad season I suppose!!! Thanks lads. Im going back to bed!!

Guest BenTheYeti
Lockhart Cup Final
St Ives Town Reserves 1 (Barney Poznansky 32) - 2 (OG 57, Tom Heywood 64)
One week after a hard fought battle in the semi final, it was back to Kellaway Park for the final on a gloriously prepared surface in glorious conditions.
As to be expected, every man who has ever owned football boots and lived in St Ives was available for this game, with only Max Sumray still missing through injury, and yours truly coming down with a stomach virus. However, after making the greatest save ever known to man in the warm up, Daggers stuck me between the sticks.
After our last meeting with Wendron resulted in a half an hour slaughter that wouldn't have looked out of place at Custer's Last Stand, the mission from the gaffer was simple; Go and give it everything from the off.
And by jove, did we. From the first tackle, the first pass and the first dribble, we looked sharp, determined and more up for it than the end of year Under 14's disco most of them were elligible to attend last week.
Alex Brown, playing on the wing at the bottom of the slope was seeing plenty of the ball, and unfortunately for the Wendron midfield and defence, all they were seeing was his dust trail as he was using more rocket fuel than Apollo 11. They only had one option; to bring him crashing back down to earth. After giving away several free kicks for fouls on the aforementioned Billy Whizz, a Wendron player duly saw a yellow card, and was possibly lucky not to be sent off before being substituteda few minutes later. From one such free kick, we nearly took the lead. Andy Barry was once again showing his right foot could open a multipack of beans, and his delivery from the wide left had everything; pace, power, direction, and the ability to avoid the 34 players in the box. With Dan Geach stranded, the ball headed towards the far post, and promptly hit the inside and came back out at the same angle.
If anything, this chance galvanised us even more, and with Jack "Hugo" Lorys operating on his usual spring loaded football boots winning headers over people 15ft taller than him, the OAP gradually coming around from his afternoon nap in the sun, and the back four looking steadier than the Scillonian in dock, Wendron were limited to a couple of headers and long range delivery which I was grateful to accept.
When we took the lead, it was of surprise to no one watching, even those supporting the Dron, and of no surprise to us was the source of the goal.
Josh Curnow, banishing the memories of his first touch nightmare at Underlane, won a 30:70 challenge, and as the ball bounced into midfield, that man Hugo won an even less likely challenge, used his gymanastic skills to keep his balance, and release the OAP down the right wing. For those who read my nonsense each week, you know what comes next.. on went the jet pack and he found himself in the penalty area looking for a grey shirt. The pass was inch perfect and Barney Poznansky smashed home to give us the lead.
Wendron, perhaps having had 12 days since their last fixture, looked shell shocked, and we contuned to press forward looking for a second goal.
The Ginger Berbatov was first to show, after spending the opening exchanges chasing every ball into the corners and giving the Wendron defence no peace (all that running.. must have been a cup final), he got the ball on his right foot, did the truffle shuffle and duly turned the defender inside out. Proving that his left foot isn't just for wearing the other boot, he sent in a great effort which curled beyond the far post.
The Wendron foul count was still running high, and when one such free kick was conceded 25 yards out, Barney stepped up to the plate, and his Olympic Long Jump Run Up was matched by a rasping drive which my opposite number did very well to parry over the bar.
By now, those in red and blue were starting to awaken from their slumber, and after the Saints had started to concede some fouls in dangerous areas, the mantra was to keep it tight until half time. This, as always, nearly went fantastically wrong. When a ball was played through from midfield, there seemed little danger as Noah Tanner came across to intercept. However, his left foot isn't quite as dependable as his right, so he stretched across himself to cut it out. The lad is only 3ft2 though, and the touch he got on the ball merely provided a perfectly cushioned pass for Stephen Gummow to charge into the area. As he bore down on the Yeti, there was little doubt where the ball was headed, and a slide rule finish beat my dispairing outstretched leg. What no one had realised was that Josh Curnow had galloped back towards his own goal, and using some of the tanning oil he hadn't rubbed into his legs to remove any friction, slid in to make a goal line clearance of the highest order.
HT 1-0
I don't really remember the half time team talk as I was lay flat out on the floor hoping my intestines would stay knotted. But I know the boys were full of belief, and determined to see the job through to the end.
I'm sure Shifty had more hairdryers flying than a fight in a Hair Salon in the Wendron dressing room, and Wendron came out with a much greater purpose and renewed intent.
The first half exertions had clearly taken it's toll on those in grey, and we struggled to contain the increasing threat of the talented Wendron team, with Adam Keenan starting to get the ball to stick. After one of his typically barmstorming runs had brought a corner, Wendron nearly got an equaliser.
We did what we usually fail to do and win the first header, but forgot what comes next, and the second header was sent goalwards. I threw my hands up like I was surrending to the LAPD, and I was fortunate it hit one of them, the underside of the bar, and was hacked off the line by a blur of football boot.
The luck was to run out though, and a deserved equaliser came after 10 minutes of the second half.
There was a great deal of Deja-Vu about the goal, with a Wendron corner being met by a firm header from Chris Harris. I again managed to get something on it and onto the painted white stuff, but this time it cannoned back onto my shoulder and into the net.
With parity restored, Wendron moved in for the kill, and had clearly worked out that set pieces were proving to be our nemisis. We survived the next two, but it was third time lucky from the 'Dron. I chose an oppurtune moment to go have a wander behind the goal and pick some daisies, leaving Tom Heywood the simple task of glancing in a header at the near post from an excellent delivery.
Although his troops on the field were thoroughly shell-shocked, Daggers was patrolling his dugout like a Major in the army, and responded to the goal by throwing on all 3 subs in the form of Nick Strong, John McWilliams and The Fridge, and changed the formation in the hope it would give us some more impetus up top.
Wendron are a great team at any time, and being ahead in a Cup Final wasn't something they were about to let slip, and as we struggled to adapt to the changes, they still came forward in search of a killer goal, with a couple of efforts flashing just wide of each post.
The tactical change started to take affect for us with 15 minutes to go, and everyone in grey put every last ounce of effort into getting something from the game.
First to show was the OAP, who had taken his cod liver oil to keep him motoring, as his cross caused chaos in the Wendron penalty area, and after a header had been cleared from nearly off the line but not out of the box, the ball fell back to the veteran, whose left foot shot was well clung on to by the Wendron keeper.
The game was now falling into a frantic pattern of Wendron counter attack and St Ives pressure, and again it was the men in grey who so nearly scored an equaliser. After good work by The Fridge and Maccadiniho on the left, the latter was fouled just on the edge of the area. Up stepped The Fridge (mysteriously, all the wildlife behind the goal headed for cover at this point), and his thunderous drive into the box caused that Junior football classic Penalty Area Pinball to be activated. Again, Wendron were pretty much throwing themseves, the wives, girlfriends and kids in front of everything, and somehow the ball hit two seperate men (and perhaps that man Dan Geach) on the line, and just couldn't be forced home.
The clock was ticking down, and both teams were looking thoroughly exhausted, with Wendron happy to have the ball in our half and try and play keep ball, but we knew we had at least one more chance in us.
Roared on by what can only have been half the population of St Ives (so, about 12), we made one final heave up front. Again the ball was worked through the left, and as Macca squeezed through a gap as big as a Wasp's ear, the ball fell to Alex Brown near the byline, his pull back cross fell to the one man you would hope it would in the OAP, and he met the ball with a ferecious volley from no more than 5 yards out. If the keeper had been standing anywhere else other than in the exactly perfectly spot just right of centre from the middle of his goal, the equaliser would have been scored. But football is football, and the ball went straight into his greatful grasp.
The Full Time whistle soon afterwards brought both joy and despair, and for Wendron, a fitting end to a great season for them.
It was a great final, with a bit of everything, and on another day a game like that could have ended up 5-4, but we went home bitterly disappointed in the knowledge that we could and should have walked away with the trophy.
Thought all 3 officials on the day were excellent, and as I said before, the venue, hopsitality and the pitch at Helston are first rate in Cornish Football.