Cornwall Football Forum

will arsene spend [the so called transfer pot]

Ultimately yes, the squad depth was a factor in the game. But look at what Chelsea have available. The bottomless pockets provided by the owner ensures, with the correct management, a huge talented squad. If Arsenal did not have so many injuries, the difference would have been less obvious. What other PL teams have the strength in depth that Chelsea have? None! Hence why you and I have elsewhere tipped Chelsea for the title. Still early days in the other competitions, and Arsenal have several players on their way back. It's a shame that "strength in depth" basically means having 22 first team players these days. Having said all that, there was not a lot between the two teams, I am still confident Arsenal are good for a top 4 finish.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the players that were injured i dont think it would of made much difference last night.

Disagree. I think it may well have made a difference. Podolski, Walcott, The Ox, Gnabry, Diaby and Flamini would have made a difference. Whether the result would have been different we will never know.

We'll see, but, that's another cup you won't be winning

Well done Sherlock. Is it possible for you to enter sensible debate as opposed to talking about buns and shite like that?

Let me see, from a Spurs perspective, this season, from NOW, what are the priorities from the following: -

- winning the PL

- winning the FA Cup

- winning the League Cup

- winning the Europa Cup

- top 4 finish

Your analysis is perceptive and true. I'm sorry the Arse boys couldn't stop that reserve squad Jose put out, as I think Chelsea's chase for the three major trophies can do without distractions like the Pub Cup.

I think Spurs would grab any one of the five priorities you suggest but far that none of them will transpire.

That is why I go around distributing buns to their followers as consolation prizes for never winning anything. I shall probably send one via Warrens International Saffron Cakes Of St Just to Wenger as well, because I can tell from the facial expression that he is a serious constipation sufferer who could benefit from an infusion of saffron and currants. :c:

Well done Sherlock. Is it possible for you to enter sensible debate as opposed to talking about buns and shite like that?

Let me see, from a Spurs perspective, this season, from NOW, what are the priorities from the following: -

- winning the PL

- winning the FA Cup

- winning the League Cup

- winning the Europa Cup

- top 4 finish

Calm down dear, the only shite I know is ......mmmmmm......Assenhole.

Lighten up Mr mangle.

- winning the PL
- winning the FA Cup
- winning the League Cup
- winning the Europa Cup
- top 4 finish

Lighten up Mr mangle.
...thought not....

As a newbie to the Non-Cornish element of the forum, I conclude:

Arsene did spend part of the transfer pot well on Ozil.

They have improved mentally as results have shown, but when it comes down to it they need more of a physical element in midfield and better centre-halfs which will be exposed in the tough away games.

If they keep up with the pace then the signing of Ozil might be a catalyst to attract such players.

How can you criticise chelsea for buying players?!

Criticise? No, I am merely making a point. Success these days is virtually dependant on money spent. And what is success measured in? For us supporters, trophies. For most of the clubs, the businesses, income. Hence, getting knocked out the league cup is a minor hiccup for the club. In fact, one less distraction from the more important PL title race and attempt to stay in the top 4. I don't like the fact that we are all now looking forward to the January transfer window to see what talent we all buy. It detracts from the good old game we all love. I can't criticise Chelsea for buying players, all clubs do it. But there are some clubs with more money than others, clearly Chelsea are loaded, and it must give them an advantage. Perhaps this UEFA capping thing will start one day (highly unlikely) and the playing field will be somewhat levelled. Anyway, I digress. The rules are what they are. And at this stage, The Arsenal are still top of the PL and top their Champions League group, so it's not all bad :)

As a newbie to the Non-Cornish element of the forum, I conclude:

Arsene did spend part of the transfer pot well on Ozil.

They have improved mentally as results have shown, but when it comes down to it they need more of a physical element in midfield and better centre-halfs which will be exposed in the tough away games.

If they keep up with the pace then the signing of Ozil might be a catalyst to attract such players.

Agreed!! Another Flamini style player. Arteta is good in there, but another physical presence is needed, and the centre half. The squad is strong, but can be significantly strengthened with one or two more players. As you say, if they remain in a strong position, other top names can be persuaded to join.....

- winning the PL
- winning the FA Cup
- winning the League Cup
- winning the Europa Cup
- top 4 finish

Lighten up Mr mangle.
...thought not....

Not quite right Mr Mangle, apart from winning the PL, most clubs, if not all - aim initially for a top four finish.

Having again spoken perceptively and truthfully, I'm sure Mr Mangle recognises that the only possible post-modern ironic stance for a dedicated enemy of capitalism like me is to support Chelsea...although I admit I hadn't fully formulated that justification when I began doing so in 1967.

Of course money rigs the game, as it rigs everything else.

Yes. A few Northern defenders falling on him in cold weather and he'll be back on the treatment table......

Arsene would still be a bit short of fire power if Giroud bumped into a goalpost or met himself in a dark alley. On the strength of his defending, why not try Mertesacker as a centre-forward instead ?

A couple of years ago Fabregas scored double figures by about now and then one in the rest of the season. The same will be true of the Bale wannabe number 16, I suspect.....

I think Mr Ozil may be tougher than some of you think. Arsenal have has a comparatively easy start to the season

The next seven days should answer all questions - Liverpool, Dortmund and Man Utd

I don't agree with whoever said that Arsenal are mentally stronger. I think we'll see that in the two away matches

They seem to have a particular inferiority complex when it comes to Utd

I don't think the staff at Arsenal believe that they can go to OT and win

I think Mr Ozil may be tougher than some of you think. Arsenal have has a comparatively easy start to the season

The next seven days should answer all questions - Liverpool, Dortmund and Man Utd

I don't agree with whoever said that Arsenal are mentally stronger. I think we'll see that in the two away matches

They seem to have a particular inferiority complex when it comes to Utd

I don't think the staff at Arsenal believe that they can go to OT and win

agree about ozil as the winters in Germany are a lot colder than England   3 points and a clean sheet against the pool  and city having a thumping win utd finding their feet at last should be interesting at ot next week  a point would be great  ,but cant see the gunners getting anything from Dortmund as they are better team overall compared to the gunners , yes we do need to strengthen the squad but January is a bit of a lottery getting the top players as teams are wary they may come back and haunt them in the run in at the end of season and many are cup tied so difficult in squad selection  ,  a good start to the prem league but lots of games to go perhaps we may improve on the usual 4 th spot and push on for next season,

Chelsea will only get better.....there might be some movement in and out in the January transfer window now the "best eleven" is clear. Ba, Mata, Luis, Mikel on their way, maybe.....a top young centre-half and a top defensive midfield water-carrier coming in to replace them.

The Number 5 and Number 6 shirts are being kept ready, probably.

Somebody also has a careful eye on the Everton fixtures as Lukaku can do more damage to rivals from there than from the Chelsea bench.

Yes...Captain, Leader, Legend was let down by Luis again...the man is a great wild card creative midfielder, but he's not a centre-back !

If Keegan were managing us Luis would start every game.....but Mourinho knows how to win trophies even if he loses the occasional game to prove the point that Cahill/Terry is the best centre-back pairing !.....although not quite as good as Terry-Carvalho was (yet).

This week, that apparently to many football pundits will finally show Arsenal's credentials as a potential PL title winning team, isn't going bad so far. Beat the Mugsmashers 2 nil. Oh, but that was at the Emirates. Still, beat the beaten-CL-finalists-last-year on their pitch. Unbeaten at home all season, until tonight they were. Good old Ramsey. Shame he'll not get in the team when Arsenal's injured players return to fitness. Hopefully someone will get a knock every now and then, he may get a game or two.

In all honesty though, still not sure for the PL. ManU will be a good test on Sunday, but even though they are now finding their feet under Moyes, it's not got the same "fear-factor" as it was (visiting Old Trafford that is). If Arsenal get anything from that game, good. The real tests will be ManC and Chelsea. 

But, they are going well right now.

This week, that apparently to many football pundits will finally show Arsenal's credentials as a potential PL title winning team, isn't going bad so far. Beat the Mugsmashers 2 nil. Oh, but that was at the Emirates. Still, beat the beaten-CL-finalists-last-year on their pitch. Unbeaten at home all season, until tonight they were. Good old Ramsey. Shame he'll not get in the team when Arsenal's injured players return to fitness. Hopefully someone will get a knock every now and then, he may get a game or two.

In all honesty though, still not sure for the PL. ManU will be a good test on Sunday, but even though they are now finding their feet under Moyes, it's not got the same "fear-factor" as it was (visiting Old Trafford that is). If Arsenal get anything from that game, good. The real tests will be ManC and Chelsea. 

What is all this media hype,about a fantastic win last night,and all the Goons jumping out the woodwork with creamy knickers.
This is a win against a team that beat you at the Emirates a couple of weeks a go.
You still haven't qualified.
Top of the Premier League.True,but have not played anyone of the top 4 favourites until the weekend.
Played just one team from the top 4.Chelsea in the Capital One Cup.
Suppose its a reason for all you goons to get excited after 8 trophyless years.

What is all this media hype,about a fantastic win last night,and all the Goons jumping out the woodwork with creamy knickers.
This is a win against a team that beat you at the Emirates a couple of weeks a go.
You still haven't qualified.
Top of the Premier League.True,but have not played anyone of the top 4 favourites until the weekend.
Played just one team from the top 4.Chelsea in the Capital One Cup.
Suppose its a reason for all you goons to get excited after 8 trophyless years.

Sounds like sour grapes from a supporter who cant see past his spud tainted glasses!!
In reply mangle, a very good win in what ever context you wish to put it, only the 2nd english side to of scored against them away. Fair play to you. Im not sure we will give you the test you require on sunday, i think 2 attacking forces will decide the out come, probably a big win for you guys (3/4).

In reply to SSS, I don't believe the Dortmund manager is an Arsenal fan, but he has said he believes Arsenal can win the CL (if they avoid Bayern). His side had won every game they have played this season at home, (scoring 24 goals in 7 games) and also every match there in the CL since December 2011. No English team have ever beaten them there before. It is a fact that Dortmund beat Arsenal at the Emirates. Fair play to them. They are a very good team. They would give Spurs a good game, but alas we shall not know how they would fair as they are in a different competition! However, as you rightly point out, Arsenal have not qualified for the group stages yet, neither has anyone else in our group, but if Spurs win later tonight, and confirm their progress in the Europa, there is a chance they will meet one of the 3 teams in our group a little later in the season as one of them has to finish third!

a good result against Dortmund last night  but as Mangle states no one has qualified from the group so all to play for which makes it very interesting , also agree with we would take a point at old trafford  utd have turned a corner and are  a real threat up front and as always they come good towards the seasons end when it counts , but i hope we can be up there at seasons end pushing the top teams for the title the , the gooners are not getting carried away as some opposing fans seem to be  getting upset with the positive  comments for a change from the media  

Who the hell are the "top 4 favourites" anyway......Chelsea (yes), ManC (yes). ManU (perhaps).....and.......?????

Just say the words mangle - you won't choke.

It can't be Spurs. Read SSS's post - he is saying that Arsenal have not played any of the "top 4 favourites" until the weekend when we play ManU. We already beat Spurs, so it can't be them, we already beat Liverpool, so not them.......so it must be Everton??

Schalke 0 Chelsea 3

Chelsea 3 Schalke 0

Arsenal win at Dortmund.

Pleased to see the Sky Blues qualified for the next phase.

All the serious clubs well placed in Europe.

Where are the Spuds ?

Oh ! Not qualified again ?

No change there then. Good luck settling for OUR pub Cup, you Chokers ! :)  

Newcastle 2 Chelsea 0

Arsenal 2 Liverpool 0

Pleased to see the Reds are top of the PL.

Where are the Sky Blues.

Oh! 5 points below.

Schalke 0 Chelsea 3
Chelsea 3 Schalke 0
Arsenal win at Dortmund.
Pleased to see the Sky Blues qualified for the next phase.
All the serious clubs well placed in Europe.

Where are the Spuds ?
Oh ! Not qualified again ?

No change there then. Good luck settling for OUR pub Cup, you Chokers ! :)

Spurs have qualified for the knock-out stages,with 2 games to go.
Now to see some of our youngsters,in Europe.

Who the hell are the "top 4 favourites" anyway......Chelsea (yes), ManC (yes). ManU (perhaps).....and.......?????

Just say the words mangle - you won't choke.

It can't be Spurs. Read SSS's post - he is saying that Arsenal have not played any of the "top 4 favourites" until the weekend when we play ManU. We already beat Spurs, so it can't be them, we already beat Liverpool, so not them.......so it must be Everton??

There - you said it :thumbsup:

Read his post for gods sake, sponge brain. He is acusing Arsenal of not having played any of the top 4 favourites. Uuuuuu, we played Spurs. He isn't referring to Arsenal being one of those clubs, obviously. I think his lack of reply is due to the fact he had got it wrong. Unless I am missing something?

Read his post for gods sake, sponge brain. He is acusing Arsenal of not having played any of the top 4 favourites. Uuuuuu, we played Spurs. He isn't referring to Arsenal being one of those clubs, obviously. I think his lack of reply is due to the fact he had got it wrong. Unless I am missing something?

Sponge brain !  now, now, that's not nice. Yes. You are missing something - the link.

Well, I suppose everyone will be writing Arsenal out of the title race now. We'll see. I didn't think it was a great game. Utd really good for the first 10/15 minutes. They it became a midfield battle. Not many chances at either end. Thought the ref was crap. Jones booked for a clash of heads, crazy decision. And some other poor decisions. Didn't effect the outcome though. It was always going to be tight. Arsenal were ok, and can play better. I'm not sure i was that impressed with Utd today, them being the home team and all that. Perhaps it was a case of sitting deeper as the game wore on, with Arsenal pushing more and taking more of a chance (although Utd stopped them carving out any decent opportunities). Darn it! Never mind. Long way to go, and players coming back from injury, the Gunners will be ok.