Cornwall Football Forum

will arsene spend [the so called transfer pot]

1 hour ago, Mangle said:

OK, here we go. The teams are walking out at the Emirates. I can feel Spurs supporters fingers limbering up for the keyboard assault in 90 minutes time....or will the Gunners hold their own, and allow a few more days of banter before the exit from the CL for another year........

Hovering over the keys.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't compete with Europes best quality costs , and  Gunners won't pay.

Played well tonight had chances but you can't switch off against Europes best a silly penalty to give away  no disgrace to lose but the Gunners starting eleven is not on a par ,   just shows you get what you pay for , one thing I don't like is the way alves kept rolling around after every challenge , Barca a top team  Arsenal are not at that level  , a good prem league team but not  in the top  teams of Europe ,    0-2  at home tough game at the nou camp , hope it doesn't become a humiliation ,  you have to beat the best  but at the moment we can't .

Thought overall we made some good chances with ox and giroud  but you have to take them , just shows even when you think you may keep a clean  sheet bang they score , then a silly pen to give away  you can't let Europes best have chances like that.

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Hang on - let's get real Stevieb - for most of this match Barcelona struggled to unlock Arsenal's defence. They found that they were muscled off the ball by large defenders. I thought the Gunners played well and were simply caught napping by a breakaway goal, shouldn't happen at this level of course. The penalty was silly as you say, charged in without thought and Arsenal paid the price. Had young Oxlade Chamberlain scored early on it might have been a different story.

Overall I thought Arsenal played well. I thought Ramsey had a great game. It's now going to be very hard now in Spain. I say all this as a Spurs supporter !

Thats the Goons whole problem.

How many times will we say they played well,but they lose and go out.

Its what they do,and it is so funny.

20 hours ago, Mangle said:

Who is "at that level"?

Silly penalty - yes, Mertesacker should have cleared, it is his fault, Flamini (rightly) not expecting the ball to pop up there, only had eyes on the ball, so not his fault. Felt sorry for him.

Bayern Munich. Real Madrid , PSG    its not a disgrace to lose  but it goes to the original post Will Arsene spend  ?  And we did not  apart from a keeper ( this summer)  needed a clinical striker  to add to the squad , that is no disrespect to Giroud as I think he has had a good season ,  but we have been spoilt in the past with Ian Wright, Thiery Henry  , and it pains me to say Van Purse String  ,  when we have paid the money  Sanchez  and Ozil,  they have added class to the team ,  

10 hours ago, Keith B said:

Hang on - let's get real Stevieb - for most of this match Barcelona struggled to unlock Arsenal's defence. They found that they were muscled off the ball by large defenders. I thought the Gunners played well and were simply caught napping by a breakaway goal, shouldn't happen at this level of course. The penalty was silly as you say, charged in without thought and Arsenal paid the price. Had young Oxlade Chamberlain scored early on it might have been a different story.

Overall I thought Arsenal played well. I thought Ramsey had a great game. It's now going to be very hard in Spain. I say all this as a Spurs supporter !

Yes we did contain them and defended well for most part , agree with Ramsey cracking game ,  but we were caught out by a quick counter attack , no problem with losing to Barcelona they are the best in Europe ,  but as a so called top team in Europe ( financially)  it shows we are not there with the elite  group   just two to three top players to enhance the team  , we just at present can't make  the break through ,   if we can play like that against the prem league teams between now and the end of the season  could be in with a chance of the league ,  as a fan of many years  you just want to compete at the top  level  , just a shame last night we came up short when the Gunners had a chance to make a statement  to other teams .

3 hours ago, stevieb said:

Yes we did contain them and defended well for most part , agree with Ramsey cracking game ,  but we were caught out by a quick counter attack , no problem with losing to Barcelona they are the best in Europe ,  but as a so called top team in Europe ( financially)  it shows we are not there with the elite  group   just two to three top players to enhance the team  , we just at present can't make  the break through ,   if we can play like that against the prem league teams between now and the end of the season  could be in with a chance of the league ,  as a fan of many years  you just want to compete at the top  level  , just a shame last night we came up short when the Gunners had a chance to make a statement  to other teams .

ded.jpg

Let's face it. Barcelona did not pull Arsenal apart and look like a team that operates on a different level. Arsenal should have taken the lead. They didn't. A good breakaway goal, then a stupid piece of defending leading to a penalty. Yes they created 2 or 3 very good chances, but you have to expect that from a team like that. The thing is, Arsenal also created 2 or 3 good chances, and failed to take any of them. The game is effectively at half time. Barcelona will not be fielding a weakened team in 3 weeks time, they still need to finish this job off. I expect them to of course, but Arsenal are a team capable of getting a result when you don't expect it. They are also capable of losing quite heavily!!

And with regards to buying players, I always think it's sad that fans are crying out for millions to be spent. If the offer was there for the fans to literally buy a trophy, how many would take that? Take pride in the fact that a team uses either their own academy players, or buy young talent to nurture.

Furthermore, I think people expect it's easy for a manager to just go out and buy anyone.....yes, let's just go and buy Messi, Ronaldo, Bale etc etc. Simple. Not.

Mangle  there is money to spend , the fans pay some of the highest ticket prices in Europe ,   and the club idea was to create more revenue to invest in the squad , this was stated when the move from Highbury to Ashburton Grove ( Emirates )  Arsenal has always bought players  recent history Denis Berkamp £7 -8 million  which was a statement  and this signing was a boost for the club  ,   in the seventies  Malcolm  MacDonald for £33300 was a record at that time , Alan Ball £ 100 k  at the time club record , so this is not a new theme ,  no we could not buy Messi ect at present  but there are players we could buy  who would improve the squad  , the squad was light with the likes of Arteta ,Rosicky , And Flamini  either injured or coming to the end of their time at Arsenal , as a fan for many years  I have seen the seventies when we were a cup team ,   and were not close to a title  , I like the idea so does most fans of home grown stars , but not many break through at Arsenal   or for that many prem league clubs ,   if you follow our owner silent Stan he has just spent half a billion dollars on a ranch in America , and is trying to move a American football team to L A  which will cost Billions   , so is his priority  Arsenal?  Or could he take more money out ? 

Very good older , I am not so good at the computers finer points  ,  at least you're not wasting your time  down in soggy Penryn chasing dogs of your pitch ha ha 

Football is a business. Sadly, the owners are not necessarily a "fan". If they invest millions into the club, and then buy a ranch somewhere, good luck to them. I have no problem with it. It is his money, and he can spend it how he pleases. Who are these players that will improve the squad, and why hasn't Wenger bought them (with the money that you all think is just sitting there waiting to be spent)? Oh let's think, Higuain. He has been trying to buy him for ages. Still trying now! So lets see, what's the hold up. Higuain, value say £30M. Ah, Arsenal come along, we'll buy him. OK say Napoli, he will cost you £50M. Oh, no worries say Arsenal. Easy.....

You walk into a ship, see a T-shirt for £10. Go to buy it, shop assistant says that'll be £20. "Why" you ask. "Because you can afford it". You tell them to F u c k off. 

21 minutes ago, Mangle said:

Football is a business. Sadly, the owners are not necessarily a "fan". If they invest millions into the club, and then buy a ranch somewhere, good luck to them. I have no problem with it. It is his money, and he can spend it how he pleases. Who are these players that will improve the squad, and why hasn't Wenger bought them (with the money that you all think is just sitting there waiting to be spent)? Oh let's think, Higuain. He has been trying to buy him for ages. Still trying now! So lets see, what's the hold up. Higuain, value say £30M. Ah, Arsenal come along, we'll buy him. OK say Napoli, he will cost you £50M. Oh, no worries say Arsenal. Easy.....

You walk into a ship, see a T-shirt for £10. Go to buy it, shop assistant says that'll be £20. "Why" you ask. "Because you can afford it". You tell them to F u c k off. 

You could always try and bring on the youthful talent.

Other Clubs do.

Buy buy buy!!

18 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Lets face it...assenhole have the bucks to buy anyone.

But not the inclination - 4th will do.

Wrong. A stupid comment and incorrect. I guess you think it's a clever comment, and funny? I don't get it. I think it is simple jealousy as you happen to support a team that has not finished above your local rivals for over 20 years or so. So all you can do is attempt to take the p*ss, as you have no other ammunition. A couple of years ago it was all about trophies as Spurs had won one more recently than Arsenal. But that's not the case anymore, so you're stuggling.

54 minutes ago, Mangle said:

Buy buy buy!!

Wrong. A stupid comment and incorrect. I guess you think it's a clever comment, and funny? I don't get it. I think it is simple jealousy as you happen to support a team that has not finished above your local rivals for over 20 years or so. So all you can do is attempt to take the p*ss, as you have no other ammunition. A couple of years ago it was all about trophies as Spurs had won one more recently than Arsenal. But that's not the case anymore, so you're stuggling.

Look like the pressure is telling.

Thought you goons were used to promising so much,but achieve's f£££ all.

Double standards Mangle. Blaming Spurs for spouting about trophies,then give us grief,because we have'nt finish above you for a while.

Could all come back and bite you on your backside.

Finishing above us,and trophies.

You will have trouble doing that if Spurs win the League.

9 hours ago, Keith B said:

Well said stevieb. All joking aside (and speaking as a Spurs fan) the Gunners are a good footballing side, and on their day play some great and attractive football. 

At the moment, the two North London sides are looking good to cause a few tremors in the Manchester area. Long may it be so !! :)

KeithB all this time and you were a closet spurs fan , shock horror  , I am flabbergasted ,   well I better have some better posts with three spuds  against Mangle and me , even though sometimes we don't agree on the way forward for the Gunners .

Mangle  inside the Gunners  there is a man who is a fan and also owns a big chunk of shares he watches most home games and is a multi Billionaire , but he can't get on the board , a previous shareholder Lady Bracewell has stated that she sold her shares to Stan but in hindsight she wished she had sold them to Usmanov ,  as a fellow fan said to me today is it actually Arsene who won't buy or is it Silent Stan pulling the strings , your argument about the price for players being upped by clubs because it is The Arsenal  , is probably not far off but surely the same for most top teams of Europe ,    there are players out there  eg Lukaku , Griezman , Draxler was available   Higuan that boat has sailed a long time ago a shame he would have made a difference ,    Cavanni  could have been available ,  the club needs to aim high , remember when we got Sanchez what a buzz that was and what a signing  he is , they can be bought  not saying its easy but that's why the Ivan's and Arsene are paid big wages .to make these deals , we miss David Dein  he was Arsene go between for transfers .

I think you miss my point. Arsene Wenger has attempted to sign players and failed. You appear to be accusing him of not trying? 

Lukaku? You serious?

You said that Bayern are part of the elite, did Arsenal not beat them this season? Was it a fluke?

56 minutes ago, somersetspur said:

Here is a bit of English.

Spurs 1-0 up.

Look like we are staying in Europe.

No complaints from me. Another 2 games for you lot to play....

Yes we did beat Bayern that is not in dispute , but they are always in the mix for the later stages of the competition  , Arsenal have been in one final a decade ago  and yes we lost to Barca  again damn those Spanish ,  but surely as a fan you want more from your team  you want to have a crack  at getting  to more finals and hopefully winning one ,   yes I did say Lukaku  a different style of striker  more robust very strong and not afraid to shoot ,    we have a mountain to climb at the Nou Camp  and it would be a terrific result if we could pull it off  , to pinch a quote from Kevin Keegan , I would just love it  if we could  turn the tie around ,  Mangle no one says its easy signing  players  , and the days of getting a Viera for small fees have long gone , the money awash in the premiership and even more next year  is mind boggling ,   the power is with the players and their agents  I am afraid and if two clubs want player x it will come down to the colour of money ,  oh for the days  when we produced players like Liam Brady  or Tony Adams ,   

3 hours ago, Mangle said:

Buy buy buy!!

Calm down dear, as Camerclown said at dispatches.....its only a game to me.

Never been jealous of anyone, or anything in my life, if assenhole mean that much to you........I won't go on.

But in football, as in life, is all a game.....so the piss I will continue to take - it's called banter - get on with it.

Ok Older. Let's have some banter.....when did Spurs last win the League? 1961. You say they have ambition.....to what, stay in the Premier League. Surely not to win it. That would be stretching the imagination too far. They have not come close to winning it since when? Meanwhile, Arsenal have won it 6 times since then, doing the double twice on the way. Your record against Arsenal in the Premier League is appalling. Absolutely appalling! Take your win tonight, in the Europa, and learn something as you'll be playing against the big boys next year. 

6 minutes ago, Mangle said:

Ok Older. Let's have some banter.....when did Spurs last win the League? 1961. You say they have ambition.....to what, stay in the Premier League. Surely not to win it. That would be stretching the imagination too far. They have not come close to winning it since when? Meanwhile, Arsenal have won it 6 times since then, doing the double twice on the way. Your record against Arsenal in the Premier League is appalling. Absolutely appalling! Take your win tonight, in the Europa, and learn something as you'll be playing against the big boys next year. 

You do make me smile Mangler, there you go, analysing everything again LOL

You missed out we have been relegated as well (bad) then I could have said...Yeah, but we came straight back up with the most goals ever scored in that division.

But hey! that's taking it all to seriously.

How about - you and all assenhole supporters know you have the bucks to buy, but wangler wants top 4 thinking players, not 1st place players, because its easier to finish 4th than 1st - innit????

2 minutes ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

You do make me smile Mangler, there you go, analysing everything again LOL

You missed out we have been relegated as well (bad) then I could have said...Yeah, but we came straight back up with the most goals ever scored in that division.

But hey! that's taking it all to seriously.

How about - you and all assenhole supporters know you have the bucks to buy, but wangler wants top 4 thinking players, not 1st place players, because its easier to finish 4th than 1st - innit????

Older you are wicked  picking on us poor gooners ,   we can't  take your waspish rapier posts  you are far to clever  for us your way with words  is second to only sss as he only ever makes complimentary comments about your noisy more successful neighbours from North London ,  ha ha 

I would have come to the relegation Older. Everything in time. After all, there is a hat full of s hit that Spurs have achieved, just taking it slow. Oh, and yes, by george I think you're right. Finishing 4th is easier than finishing 1st. I wish i had your IQ level. Clearly you would make Wengers "thinking squad", I wouldn't. And how about Spurs, having not finished anywhere near 1st, and mostly somewhere in the top 10, what were they trying to achieve, the "top mediocre club" spot? Well done. I think you're on the way to that achievement.

1 hour ago, Keith B said:

Stevieb I'm not against you. I have supported Spurs for years and when I was working in London, watched them most home games. However, every other week I watched Arsenal. In those days, the early 1970's, Spurs were the better side with out a doubt in my mind. However the Gunners are a vastly different side now compared with the 70's and play beautiful football at times. In the days of Vierra (spelling?) Henry and co, they were a joy to watch. How Wenger must look back with yearning. So, whilst supporting Spurs and St Just in the Cornwall Combination league, I always enjoy watching any football team who will give it their all and who play for a love of the game - so, I enjoy watching Arsenal too. :) :c:

If you watched Arsenal ,your not a Yid.

...if you want to be the best....you got to beat the best......

Well that's true I suppose, but this is the second-tier European Cup Competition that Spurs are in. It does not have the best teams in it. So you can't beat the best, and you can't therefore be the best. The Cup Competition that Arsenal are competing in, you know, where we are playing the best, is where you will find the best teams (you recall we have been present in the best competition for the last 17 years....).

1 hour ago, Mangle said:

...if you want to be the best....you got to beat the best......

Well that's true I suppose, but this is the second-tier European Cup Competition that Spurs are in. It does not have the best teams in it. So you can't beat the best, and you can't therefore be the best. The Cup Competition that Arsenal are competing in, you know, where we are playing the best, is where you will find the best teams (you recall we have been present in the best competition for the last 17 years....).

Sorry poor English,that you dont get.

The best referred to The Europe League competition.

Unlike the Goons,I am not silly to put Tottenham on a level with Barcelona,R.Madrid,Bayern,PSG,etc.

But we are improving,and it wont be long.

12 hours ago, Mangle said:

I would have come to the relegation Older. Everything in time. After all, there is a hat full of s hit that Spurs have achieved, just taking it slow. Oh, and yes, by george I think you're right. Finishing 4th is easier than finishing 1st. I wish i had your IQ level. Clearly you would make Wengers "thinking squad", I wouldn't. And how about Spurs, having not finished anywhere near 1st, and mostly somewhere in the top 10, what were they trying to achieve, the "top mediocre club" spot? Well done. I think you're on the way to that achievement.

Blimey Mangle, nearly a bit of banter there!!!

You certainly wouldn't want my IQ you might realise football is only a game - and then you'd have nothing.

Always remember as well, its made round to come round, Spurs in the 60's / 70's was my time, and maybe, just maybe, its come around again.

But if not, I'll continue the pipedream, but live in reality.

It's come around again? What, the glory days? Knocked out of the League Cup this season by the Mighty Gunners at WHL, knocked out of the FA Cup this season by Crystal Palace again at WHL, competing in the second tier of Europe's Cup competition, and aiming for a top 4 finish in the league. Wow, glory days indeed. lol

40 minutes ago, Mangle said:

It's come around again? What, the glory days? Knocked out of the League Cup this season by the Mighty Gunners at WHL, knocked out of the FA Cup this season by Crystal Palace again at WHL, competing in the second tier of Europe's Cup competition, and aiming for a top 4 finish in the league. Wow, glory days indeed. lol

The key word was  - maybe :P

On 26/02/2016 at 08:39, Keith B said:

Stevieb I'm not against you. I have supported Spurs for years and when I was working in London, watched them most home games. However, every other week I watched Arsenal. In those days, the early 1970's, Spurs were the better side with out a doubt in my mind. However the Gunners are a vastly different side now compared with the 70's and play beautiful football at times. In the days of Vierra (spelling?) Henry and co, they were a joy to watch. How Wenger must look back with yearning. So, whilst supporting Spurs and St Just in the Cornwall Combination league, I always enjoy watching any football team who will give it their all and who play for a love of the game - so, I enjoy watching Arsenal too. :) :c:

Keith B my post was meant tongue in cheek ( yes big cheeks )  ,   but  spurs and St, Just  you do need help  perhaps you should join older in cuckoo land  LOL  

Keith B was meant tongue in cheek ( big cheeks).  You may need help  spurs and St just  perhaps you need to join older in cuckoo land LOL  , and then you have  SSS saying you can't be a fan for having the sense to watch The Arsenal  ,  poor SSS. He is very blinkered in all things  spurs , even though me and Mangle have different opinions on the Gunners  it doesn't mean  we aren't fans.  .

25 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Keith B my post was meant tongue in cheek ( yes big cheeks )  ,   but  spurs and St, Just  you do need help  perhaps you should join older in cuckoo land  LOL  

Keith B was meant tongue in cheek ( big cheeks).  You may need help  spurs and St just  perhaps you need to join older in cuckoo land LOL  , and then you have  SSS saying you can't be a fan for having the sense to watch The Arsenal  ,  poor SSS. He is very blinkered in all things  spurs , even though me and Mangle have different opinions on the Gunners  it doesn't mean  we aren't fans.  .

Having trouble with my hudl  for some reason couldn't edit post , so makes me look like lemon ,   I need some tips from older as he seems to be  computer literate ,    also problem postings  as some won't save , which will please some ha ha.

Oh well got what we deserved at Old Trafford. A loss. All be it narrow. No ideas when building play in front of goal. Lots of possession, movement etc, but get near the opponents box, facing a well drilled defence, no idea. And poor defending cost the goals against. Still a long way to go. I do not think any team will go through the rest of the season unbeaten, so still all to play for. But with Leicester and Spurs winning, the task gets a little harder....

2 hours ago, Mangle said:

Oh well got what we deserved at Old Trafford. A loss. All be it narrow. No ideas when building play in front of goal. Lots of possession, movement etc, but get near the opponents box, facing a well drilled defence, no idea. And poor defending cost the goals against. Still a long way to go. I do not think any team will go through the rest of the season unbeaten, so still all to play for. But with Leicester and Spurs winning, the task gets a little harder....

Had a lovely day today with my wife and friends went out for lunch , bought a new sea fishing reel   my daughter made an appearance for Southampton ladies reserves V Portsmouth so was looking forward to speaking to her , but before that I thought I would check the scores on ceefax and there we have it the Gunners let me down and spuds won again , oh well can't have it all  , spoke to my daughter she is very sore after not playing for six weeks due to having her appendix out , she lost 4-1  but made a couple of saves , she has been playing for Winchester  but had the chance to get some games for Southampton as their keeper is injured , so grabbed the chance ,she says much quicker game than used to and better football ,   trust the Arsenal  to try and mess up my weekend , and no bloody fish again last night , perhaps I should have saved money on the reel lol 

What a lovely Sunday.

3 hours ago, Mangle said:

When the mighty Yids kick your butt next week, and Barcelona do their bit.

You will be left like you always are.hoping for a top 4 finish,and a Cup for Clubs who cant win **** all.

But Im sure you will turn it all into a wonderful season.

I just found a "premier league table predictor" and whacked in all the results from now until the end of the season. I've got Man City winning, Leicester second, Spurs 3rd and Arsenal 4th. I've got Villa, Bournemouth and Sunderland going down. Not sure about the relegation 3, but even I don't think Man City will win it. Maybe they have the best "run-in"?