Cornwall Football Forum

Duchy League Results 18 May 2013

Southgate 2 - 1 St. Columb Major Reserves

Major Reserves couldn't quite add a point to support their promotion quest as a depleted side were unfortunate not to take something out of a tight game against Southgate in the blazing sunshine.

Despite enjoying a stronger opening to the game, it was the home side that had the best chance to open the scoring, however, Major 'keeper Eliot Clarke was on hand to make a fine save after great work from Southgate's lively target man. Although a handful of regulars were missing, the visitors were enjoying some success going forward and Luke Worrall, leading the line as lone striker, had a couple of half chances that he was unable to convert and Worrall's corner almost forced an opener after Simon Mitchell's looping header was expertly turned over the bar by Southgate's stand-in goalkeeper.

It came as no surprise that Southgate's attack would be difficult for the Major defence to contend with and a couple of fine blocks, in addition to Clarke turning away Mitchell's header that appeared goal bound, kept the hosts at bay. Southgate should really have edged in front but were denied by the foot of the post and Major's indifference in front of goal was punished when a flowing counter attack resulted in a favourable ricochet as John Middleditch looked likely to come out on top with last-gasp challenge in the box. The ball broke free to be poked underneath the on-rushing goalkeeper for the home side to finally open the scoring after a relatively open first half.

Yet it wasn't long before Major were back on level terms, grabbing a deserved equaliser just before half-time when Middleditch picked out Luke Worrall with a long throw, who was able to wrestle himself away from his marker to turn and loft a pass into the path of Josh Turner, who in turn was quick enough to beat the hesitant goalkeeper to nick the ball into the net.

St. Columb looked to exploit the space in behind the Southgate defence and should have done more to get their noses is front of what was proving to be a very tight game. A key moment of controversy followed as Luke Worrall was able to get in front of the last defender to close in on goal and just as the Major striker shaped to shoot, he appeared to be clipped and took a tumble on the edge of the box, only for the match official to wave away his animated pleas. Southgate players protested that no deliberate contact had been made and Worrall was duly booked for his reaction to what eventually turned out to be a key decision.

Within a matter of minutes Southgate were awarded a free kick twenty five yards from goal and when Clarke shaped to make a low save from a fairly innocuous free kick, the ball plugged in the muddy and sunken goalmouth (that bore no resemblance to the dry pitch) to slide underneath the unfortunate goalkeeper to put the hosts in front. Major toiled in their hopes for an equaliser and although they appeared to be handling the Southgate's threat during the second half, it was unclear where an equalising goal would come from. The job was made all the harder when Ryan Worrrall, earlier booked for kicking the ball away, was adjudged to have deliberately handled the ball when he attempted to chest down a looping header that dropped to the edge of the box. A further yellow card was followed by a red and Worrall was given his marching orders, something later explained as a consequence for Worrall's earlier appeals for handball.

With some tired legs, both sides began to flag and ten-man Major enjoyed some joy on the left as they sought a late equaliser. The opportunity to restore parity came in the dying minutes as a lofted cross into the centre of the Southgate box caused havoc, with two defenders and the goalkeeper unable to deal with the loose ball as central defenders Michael Rabone and Craig Hayes fought in the air and having reacted first, Hayes was unable to keep his resulting header down as it fell the wrong side of the crossbar to gift the home side all three points.

Ps. Thanks to the Southgate players for the invite back to the pub after the game, had a drive around the town centre, the one way system and a few nice residential areas and ended up at some traffic lights on the opposite side of town - sorry gents, should have asked for a few more details!

Southgate 2 - 1 St. Columb Major Reserves

Major Reserves couldn't quite add a point to support their promotion quest as a depleted side were unfortunate not to take something out of a tight game against Southgate in the blazing sunshine.

Despite enjoying a stronger opening to the game, it was the home side that had the best chance to open the scoring, however, Major 'keeper Eliot Clarke was on hand to make a fine save after great work from Southgate's lively target man. Although a handful of regulars were missing, the visitors were enjoying some success going forward and Luke Worrall, leading the line as lone striker, had a couple of half chances that he was unable to convert and Worrall's corner almost forced an opener after Simon Mitchell's looping header was expertly turned over the bar by Southgate's stand-in goalkeeper.

It came as no surprise that Southgate's attack would be difficult for the Major defence to contend with and a couple of fine blocks, in addition to Clarke turning away Mitchell's header that appeared goal bound, kept the hosts at bay. Southgate should really have edged in front but were denied by the foot of the post and Major's indifference in front of goal was punished when a flowing counter attack resulted in a favourable ricochet as John Middleditch looked likely to come out on top with last-gasp challenge in the box. The ball broke free to be poked underneath the on-rushing goalkeeper for the home side to finally open the scoring after a relatively open first half.

Yet it wasn't long before Major were back on level terms, grabbing a deserved equaliser just before half-time when Middleditch picked out Luke Worrall with a long throw, who was able to wrestle himself away from his marker to turn and loft a pass into the path of Josh Turner, who in turn was quick enough to beat the hesitant goalkeeper to nick the ball into the net.

St. Columb looked to exploit the space in behind the Southgate defence and should have done more to get their noses is front of what was proving to be a very tight game. A key moment of controversy followed as Luke Worrall was able to get in front of the last defender to close in on goal and just as the Major striker shaped to shoot, he appeared to be clipped and took a tumble in the box only for the match official to wave away his animated pleas for what looked like a clear penalty kick. Southgate players protested that no deliberate contact had been made and Worrall was duly booked for his reaction to what eventually turned out to be a key decision.

Within a matter of minutes Southgate were awarded a free kick twenty five yards from goal and when Clarke shaped to make a low save from a fairly innocuous free kick, the ball plugged in the muddy and sunken goalmouth (that bore no resemblance to the dry pitch) to slide underneath the unfortunate goalkeeper to put the hosts in front. Major toiled in their hopes for an equaliser and although they appeared to be handling the Southgate's threat during the second half, it was unclear where an equalising goal would come from. The job was made all the harder when Ryan Worrrall, earlier booked for kicking the ball away, was adjudged to have deliberately handled the ball when he attempted to chest down a looping header that dropped to the edge of the box. A further yellow card was followed by a red and Worrall was given his marching orders, something later explained as a consequence for Worrall's earlier appeals for handball.

With some tired legs, both sides began to flag and ten-man Major enjoyed some joy on the left as they sought a late equaliser. The opportunity to restore parity came in the dying minutes as a lofted cross into the centre of the Southgate box caused havoc, with two defenders and the goalkeeper unable to deal with the loose ball as central defenders Michael Rabone and Craig Hayes fought in the air and having reacted first, Hayes was unable to keep his resulting header down as it fell the wrong side of the crossbar to gift the home side all three points

The "incident" you are talking about regarding the penalty?? Whilst I agree your forward was fouled, a free kick should have been awarded because the foul took place about 10 yards outside the area!!!! I dont think the foul was really intentional so I think a yellow should have been given. Also think the player who got sent off was very lucky to still be on the field as he petulantly kicked the ball away twice in the first So really think he should have been a little more switched on regarding the Referee! Having said this I thought your guys were a good bunch to play against and very sporting too! Good luck against North Petherwin!

Didn't realise it was outside the area - apologies. I guess one of our refs will explain the scenario about a last man foul, although admittedly it has no significance at this stage.

I agree that there should have been two yellows for kicking the ball away, although that may not quite justify what followed.

It was a good game this afternoon - a shame not to take anything from it but that's football. Onto next week...!

Ha ha yeah one of their players decided to pipe up after 80 mins and say they were only at 30 per cent, why bother turning up fact is lamerton were well the better side fowey are a decent bunch of lads but for a player to say they were not really trying is a bit shocking anyway good luck to fowey next season in east cornwall sure they will do quite well.

St column major (duchy prem) were a decent side today and a great bunch of lads. Although their football was not the prettiest it suited their strikers, who were superb!

Also it was nice for the St column chairman not only to make the trip to calstock but also give us words of support regarding our current plight. Much respect.

Good on you st column!

As for calstock the next couple weeks will be huge to whether we have a team or not next season.

Knew st columb will have a tough game today just a shame southgate mucked up against boscastle

well when we have a bare 11 and have an unfair ref it's gunna be hard. We missed 5 quality players today due to 1st team call ups, work, etc. we shouldn't have dropped points to Southgate, pelynt, boscastle and st merryn in the season but we did like Southgate. That's football

St column major (duchy prem) were a decent side today and a great bunch of lads. Although their football was not the prettiest it suited their strikers, who were superb!

Also it was nice for the St column chairman not only to make the trip to calstock but also give us words of support regarding our current plight. Much respect.

Good on you st column!

As for calstock the next couple weeks will be huge to whether we have a team or not next season.

stay strong lads. I played for st columb when we was winning everything and then loads of players left and I played for st columb in the east cornwall and duchy prem when we getting tanked every week 8-0, 7-1 etc and we pulled through it. I hope Calstock do the same. Luke

Good on you st column!

We are in the same boat down at Gunnislake. We are debating whether to pull one team out of the league for next season.

It’s very hard to attract quality for the two sides despite having quantity, and player’s commitments have been poor.

I have decided that I will be stepping down from the 1st team manger at the end of season.

We are hopping that a new manager can come in with some new blood.

The job has not been advertised as of yet but please feel free to contact the club if interested for next season.

Andy Brown

Good on you st column!

We are in the same boat down at Gunnislake. We are debating whether to pull one team out of the league for next season.

Its very hard to attract quality for the two sides despite having quantity, and players commitments have been poor.

I have decided that I will be stepping down from the 1st team manger at the end of season.

We are hopping that a new manager can come in with some new blood.

The job has not been advertised as of yet but please feel free to contact the club if interested for next season.

Andy Brown

Luke woz - all of you from the start was moaning at the ref. Right winger was a disgrace to your club kicking the ball away twice, handball which I don't see how he thought he should have got away with it. Then telling the ref on the sideline he's a **** again he's a disgrace. Your linesmen kept flag happy all game. Last week I noticed your moaning about the ref maybe if you lot just let him.ref he might be different. 3rd time ive watched southgate now with my wife and I think there a decent side

I agree our right winger was a disgrace and he lets us down again and again getting sent off but within reason in such an important game for us we felt let with some what can only be described as shocking desicions but its gone now. With out refs we wouldn't have a game and in the last two weeks we've had young refs which is good to see as that's the games future. I agree Southgate are a good side and after veryan the best we've faced.

Luke woz - all of you from the start was moaning at the ref. Right winger was a disgrace to your club kicking the ball away twice, handball which I don't see how he thought he should have got away with it. Then telling the ref on the sideline he's a ***** again he's a disgrace. Your linesmen kept flag happy all game. Last week I noticed your moaning about the ref maybe if you lot just let him.ref he might be different. 3rd time ive watched southgate now with my wife and I think there a decent side

This isn't the first time this has happened this season disgrace is the word for it liability would sound better. But im led to believe that major were missing their to BEST players yesterday that would have made the difference in the game. But fair play to southgate they have had a good season themselves. Now we go and the job against petherwin.

Mevagissey Reserves 5-1 Torpoint Comrades, and by far the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen, however not taking anything away from the 9 or 10 1st team players Meva felt the need to draft in

As first team manager i can tell you now that there was only two first team players playing for the reserves and they have played for them before.And must of been difficult to notice which ones they were as ever player in the reserves team is capable and has played in duchy prem.

Mevagissey Reserves 5-1 Torpoint Comrades, and by far the worst refereeing performance I have ever seen, however not taking anything away from the 9 or 10 1st team players Meva felt the need to draft in

As first team manager i can tell you now that there was only two first team players playing for the reserves and they have played for them before.And must of been difficult to notice which ones they were as ever player in the reserves team is capable and has played in duchy prem.

Well your reserves must have the same squad size as QPR then ....

Well your reserves must have the same squad size as QPR then ....

They do have a big squad at home but struggle sometimes to get a team for away games cause of work commitments.I do no they struggled away to you not long ago and played 2 players that haven't kicked a ball all season.And your right they do have a big team 20 players on paper

Why might Calstock not have a team next season. What's happened? I remember the days when we could fill 2 teams easily, surely there are still enough players to fill one team.

I can see its been a tough couple of years with the issues with the pitch, players leaving and all that other stuff. I just hope the club is able to survive.

When the pitch is playable it is a great place to play football. Also sad to hear of Gunni having problems, I also hope they can sort themselves out as well. Great place to play football, and I can always remember having some great games against them.

Hi footy mad.

It's not so much the problem of raising a squad although there have been weeks where I have struggled, it is more down to the fact that the chairman and I refuse to take on all the work. We are in search of someone to do the secretarial duties next season and unless this happens then I will leave the club. It is on thing losing every week but it takes up all day Saturday and numerous evenings, ontop of presentation evenings, fund raisers, etc.

It would be sad if the club goes as it has become very close to my heart and the bunch of lads here are exceptional but sometime you have to say enough is enough.

Hope gunnislake sort there problems out as its not nice.

Calstock manager

I just want to say i also hope that Calstock and Gunnislake pull through difficult times i have loved playing at the two clubs/pitches over the past 15 years and would get dissapointed when we used to get the phone call to say the game was moved to st Anns or Stoke climsland (Not slating the pitches at the alternative venues!)

I know first hand how much work it involves to run/manage a club etc... and it is a big chore... it takes unselfish people to do it... someone that puts a squad of players (friends) and club first over most of their personal life/work... someone that would be prepaired to give alot of time... it takes some sticking sometimes and takes blood sweat and tears.... days when you think why do i bother? But then days when you love it and thats the days that keep you going! They outway the bad days... and you have to think if i dont do it who is going to? why is it people want to play but dont want to help behind the scenes? probably cause they have the brains and sense?!?

I really do hope that Gunni and Calstock are still going next season on a personal note and on behalf of all at Lamerton F.c.

Ern