Cornwall Football Forum

Newquay Ladies rumour

Guest Rubber Soul

Guest Rubber Soul

Heard a whisper that Newquay Ladies FC are leaving Mount Wise to play permanently at Treyew Road, home of Truro City, and the switch could happen almost immediately. A friend of mine reckons there's going to be a big story in the Newquay Guardian tomorrow.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rubber Soul

I'm never sure these days which is the best site to post to; it's a shame the forum has been split.

I just thought anybody interested in Newquay or Truro football would want to be tipped off about this story, which I am very reliably informed is true.

Sadly for Newquay, their Ladies will be known as Truro City Ladies from next season.

Watch this space, Anita . . .

I got asked about this rumour a few days ago. Be sad if it turns out to be true coz i know Truro have been after Newquay ladies for a while. But still maybe you should of waited for the "big" story in the guardian tomorrow before posting on here :) As i'm sure you already know reliable sources are not always right ;) Guess we'll have to wait and see :D

Guest Dermot

No the one who played for Luton Town was Ivan Yankurbolokov,he was from the Ukraine and grew up in the Gorbals. SLOBBERKNOCKERS Is just a wonderful word. ;0) :drink:

So Truro City first took over St Columb Ladies which meant St Columb Ladies didn't exist anymore - then took over Goonhavern which meant Goonhavern had no Ladies Team - then they entered 2 Ladies team into the Ladies League this season both of which they withdrew so no Ladies Team at Truro this year - that means 3 clubs without Ladies teams involved in the 'Truro arrangement' and now possibly the Newquay set up going to Truro - will that mean Newquay with no Ladies structure as well then?

It would've been so great if Truro had just started their own Ladies teams in which case perhaps St Columb, Goonhavern and I guess maybe Newquay if it really happens would still have Ladies teams as well.

What a shame! I am sure in the greater plan it will make sense to someone somewhere but from where I am looking it really seems a great puddle.

What will happen with the management structure with the Ladies squads then? I know Newquay already have their own capable management so will they go on mass too? What have you heard Anita?

Guest Peppermint

I have no knowledge of the rumour and it will be very sad if it is true. Aggiemaid's posting sums it up very well when she says that Truro City have decimated two ladies teams already amd now want to take over a successful outfit without doing anything to have made it such a success. The Chairman's remarks about Truro City steamrollering everything before them rings true and the statements about for the good of Cornish Football has a hollow ring about it.

I wonder what people at Newquay such as Jim Wynne who did so much in the early days to get the club to where they were thinks about this sell out. The present management - are they all in favour of this move? Perhaps one of them could come on here and give their opinions.

Guest Peppermint

I have just spoken to someone and the story is on the back page of The Guardian. Apparently the now manager of the ladies team Maurice Ford has confirmed that Newquay Ladies will play their next home game at Mount Wise and then will play the rest of the season at Treyew Road.

They will still play under the banner of Newquay Ladies until the end of the season and then obviously revert to Truro Ladies for next season.

This is another sad day for Cornish sport and does nothing for the image of Truro City who seem determined to ride roughshod over everyone to achieve their aims. So much for doing it all for Cornish football.

I am also a little disappointed that the Newquay Ladies Management have sold out!

Guest Peppermint

Newquay Reserves host Perranporth in the Combination League tonight so it will be interesting to hear the reactions of the supporters , committee etc. regarding this bombshell!

That is a good point local boy - perhaps we will have someone who will come on and enlighten us!

what are the reasons for a whole team to go from newquay to truro if there are members of the team who live locally to newquay then every game will be like an away game for them.

If what aggiemaid has said about 2 other ladies teams going there and folding is true (and i have no reason to disbelieve her) what happens if the same thing happens again do they just take another then another until there is no ladies league left.

It just seems to me that truros money has been flexing its muscles again

Unbelievable!

How can anyone justify this as being best for Cornish Football?

How incredibly sad that two clubs have already lost their female sections because of Truro City and it wasn't possible for them to even field one Ladies Team this year themselves and yet here we go again lets take over yet another clubs hard work and suddenly we have another already successful Ladies Squad at Truro with no work - no effort and we see another club at Newquay with no ladies structure! Three clubs no longer with female teams because of Truro City.

My thoughts are not aimed at those who had to withdraw ladies team from the league this year as many politics and issues lay beneath it but I really think this is a sad day for Cornish Football not a good one at all.

Anita we are always in need of a capable lino on Sundays at St Agnes - give me a call if you are free. 07974 370666 Mandy x

I revert back to my comments of 18 months ago or so!!

"doing it for Cornish football" my arse!!! no one matters apart from Truro City, unfortunatly the way they are going is going to make people hate them rather than join the bandwagon!!!

Anita, come out St Agnes with the ladies, they have a great crack all the time, and well run by Martyn and Mandy, plus the odd bus trip to further depths of Cornwall as well, which means a day on the sauce!! ps. when is the next bus trip Mandy?

I'm going to need a day drinking binge when I get back from this lot!!

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Flippin 'eck, you go offline for 24hrs and the whole place goes slobbernocking mad !

Newquay Ladies AFC was set up by a group of lady members of the main club but soon realised that the youngsters wishing to play were far better and stepped aside. Once the ladies side established themselves as Penzances equals, girls from all over the county joined and took the club to another level.

The management of the Ladies side from day one was Dave 'Devil' Osbourne and Andy East but soon passed the reigns over to one of the players dads (Mr Butterley) when things started to move too fast. Ownership of the club if there is such a thing, would belong to Newquay AFC whose members founded the club, allowed them to use Mount Wise free of charge and even move a Mens first team matche to an alternate date so they could play a midweek match at home.

Some may say that the Ladies have put very little back into the club by way of staying after matches over the last 4 years, others will see it as the only way Newquay and football in Cornwall has had it's image raised. Which ever way you look at it, Heaney has obviously made promises to the current Ladies management who have bitten his hand off. I have no idea if the Newquay committee were aware of the situation or have been told officially buit it is strange, that one member of the Ladies set up who was on the main committee, quit his position just a couple weeks ago. Looks like the main club who have provided facilities free for 7 years have been stabbed in the back by one or more parties.

On the plus side, that is 2 games a week less the pitch will have to suffer and Devil can now have a drink on a Saturday night as he won't have to set the ground up on a sunday.

Lets hope the planners at county Hall or wherever decisions regarding truro are made tell Heaney to bugger off back to Spurs.

Guest Peppermint

In answer to Soccer Follower - yes I am pretty sure the Newquay Ladies are for some reason a registered charity. A bone of contention at Newquay with some people is that the Ladies did not contribute anything towards the groundsman's wages and other ground expenses.

Now they have gone and although someone from the ladies set up talked to the Guardian no one seems willing to come on here and put their point of view.

As St Darren aptly puts it Truro City have no intention of doing anything for the good of Cornish Football and it is purely self interest but you will never convince the new followers of Truro City who have jumped on the band wagon.

At the end of the day it is a very sad for football and it just shows money talks and almost everyone has their price!

This is purely and simply to enable Truro to access foundation funding for their proposed new development. It is well known that any application for funding or financial assistance in football these days, has to include youth and women's sections within the overall plan. With the Newquay Ladies set-up already quite successful it will ensure that everything looks good in any submission to the Football Foundation or other sports funding body. Good for Truro's future plans, BUT you have to say that the club generally is absolutely clueless when it comes to public relations, whoever they employ on that front is clearly a rank amateur or just plain rubbish as proved by the constant derision flying in from all over the county everytime they do something (good or bad). Personally, I am fairly enthusiatic about what Truro are trying to achieve here, it's been a long time coming. It's just a shame that they can't do it using a little less of the "bull in a china shop" method sometimes.

Guest Peppermint

What is worse about this whole sorry saga is that very senior members of the Newquay Football Club knew nothing about this until they read it in the Guardian. This is no way to treat anyone and people who have worked hard for the Club over many years and do not deserve this offhand treatment.

Still no one from Truro or the Newquay Ladies Management have had the courtesy or guts to come on here and explain this decision and the underhand way it was dealt with.

Have read on the City Website that it is a done deal and this was a posting by allforone1889 on their forum. All for One is a Cornish motto I think - what a cheek to use that when it is not anything to do with the good of Cornish Football but just for their selfish egos!

His last posting on their forum about the ladies getting no help from Newquay members is a complete and utter fabrication and is utterly disgraceful. The ladies to my knowledge paid nothing towards the upkeep of the ground or the groundsman's wages. Then they kick the committee and a lot of loyal followers of the team from Newquay in the teeth.

I have every sympathy for the long serving committee members who had to read of this decision in the media before they were told. I think every fair minded member of this excellent Forum would agree that rhis is not the honourable way to conduct matters.

I gather a few of the Goonhavern Ladies (and several of the youth section) weren't happy to play under the Truro banner and went elsewhere, maybe St Agnes and the other remaining ladies set-ups should put out feelers and try to gain a few players out of it?

Guest Urban Spaceman

didn't truro ladies end up playing games at st columb and godolphin last season wen the pitch was 2 bad? i cud c this happening again wen the wet weather arrives.

do newquay ladies actually want 2 go 2 truro?

wats in it 4 them 2 move/r they being kicked out of newquay?

Guest ggr_garth

I presume that the link with Godolphin was because of Alan Metters the former Truro City ladies manager and Godolphin trainer? You didn't really hear much in pre-season about why Truro dispensed of his services to my memory.

I presume that the link with Godolphin was because of Alan Metters the former Truro City ladies manager and Godolphin trainer? You didn't really hear much in pre-season about why Truro dispensed of his services to my memory.

I know why they dispensed of his services :P

Guest Rubber Soul

Come on then, Anita, spill the beans. We don't want to be dealing in rumours, do we? Perhaps you should wait until something official is said - as you suggested to me last night!!