Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League Results - Thursday 9th May 2013

Arthur Pearce Cup Final.

Gwinear Reserves 2, Redruth Reserves 1.

Redruth scored 1st about ten mins into 2nd half with a penalty converted by Mushy Symonds.

Gwinear hit back ten minutes later when a free kick from out wide on the left knocked into the box and was headed in by Shane Rosvear.

Dwain Britton then put Gwinear in front about two minutes later with a shot from the edge of the box.

Redruth then threw bodies forward looking for the equaliser and came close from several corners that were wipped across the box but were unable to get the vital touch.

Quite a good game considering the conditions and both sides got stuck in without being silly.

Well done gwinear.

Didn't see you Philip where was you?

Got there about ten minutes before half time and watched from the car. 2nd half I watched from in the stand. Well done fella, your boys had to ride your luck a bit from the corners that wizzed across the box, not easy in those conditions, but gwinear were very strong in the air. Nice cup though, and I spec its being filled up with booze now!

Titans 2 -3 Wendron

We had a couple missing tonight but no excuses not the best weather with a terrible wind at helston but after winning the league, I think we've gone a little to the wind. Have to say well reffed by Nigel Nicholls and good luck to Wendron in the final they thoroughly deserved their win with a goal 2 mins from time. We couldn't get our act together right from arriving with 25 to go before ko and not enough which was a surprise throughout. Congratulations to Wendron and look forward to doing it with you all again next season :)

11-0 great win, to keep pressure on gwinear, absaloutley freezing at the back!!!! credit to penwith kept running and chasing everything and to referee who let game flow, thank god as horrible weather! pitch held up well nice facilities!

good luck to penwith exiles for rest of season, 3 league games remaining hopefully ludgvan, mabe, or st erme can get something from gwinear and we do our bit its nailbiting and love it great advert for div 5!

cheers babo started the game with 9 1/2 men so delighted with the win ..i was rather pleased to see ryan baber and james leeson turn up so i could end the 20min cameo...and yes a header.

That boy Neal Jefree always loves a header!!! Ha top stuff

Great win for Wendron tonight and thoroughly deserved.

Was a great game to watch played in difficult conditions, but both teams played the right way and in a great spirit.

Marksy was very gracious in the defeat, as were all the Titans boys, and players and officials on both sides gave three cheers to each other which was nice to see.

Well reffed too.

Well done lads, you have done the club proud and are a real credit to the club. Shifty and Mickey have done a top job this year, top blokes and honoured to have them at Wendron.

Well done to Titans on your league success, nice to be there when you received the trophy. Looking forward to next season!

St Ives 4-1 Culdrose res

After having only 7 players at 3.30pm it was a nice site to have 13 players waiting for me in the changing room after a mad dash down from the nations capital. It was an even game I felt, the Turning point being the 2nd St Ives goal after the keeper smashed it into the face of the oncoming striker and the ball looping into the back of the net. Also could point to the save from Ben at the start of the 2nd half as our striker tried to round the keeper. Fairly even game I felt although we failed to really push on in the final 3rd of the pitch. Good luck in the semi fellas, good to finally have a quick chat to Ben after aswell, didn't even mention my shot after coming on with 10 to go!!

Well done Gwinear for there cup win tonight ! DIV 5 been well represented this year, without a doubt the strongest bottom division seen in years you could argue top 8 teams would do well in higher leagues, lets see if the league restructures again!

Lets just say me and marksy have had our banter over the years, I think we clash because we share the same personality, little chubby, cant play football and like to be mouthy.

All that to one side I think the guy is a top bloke and deserves the success he has had a titans this year, is a quality manager and has a squad that is not only good footballers but respect the manager and do exactly what he says, players like that are hard to find.

What I am trying to say is well done to all the boys and marksy on a successful season and what ever has happened in past between us I wish you all best next year

Bundi

Well done Gwinear for there cup win tonight ! DIV 5 been well represented this year, without a doubt the strongest bottom division seen in years you could argue top 8 teams would do well in higher leagues, lets see if the league restructures again!

dont think even the league know what is going to happen yet, probably depends on how many teams applying to join, and how many if any leave the league, division 5 no doubt tho in good sted this season!

Penwith Exiles 0-11 Camborne Park

I had wanted to visit the Exiles' ground at Mount's Bay School to complete my quest to visit
every ground in Cornwall regularly used for Saturday adult football and last night I achieved
that (not every pitch, but every different venue).

However, from a spectatnig point of view it was one of the least enjoyable 90 minutes I have had this season.

The strong wind never let up all night, turning the match into something of a farce, and of course with

no shelter available, watching was a case of turning your back to the wind as much as possible.
Two of the corner flags were blown clean down before kick-off, and a third gave up the ghost early
in the second half - it was more of a miracle that the fourth stayed up!

As for the football, it was, I'm sorry to say, a complete mismatch. Penwith tried to play a very
high defensive line, which is fine if you've got the players to work it, but their defenders were
short on pace and every ball either over the top or through the defence saw Camborne Park have
multiple attackers running on to it, easily beating any offside flag. One one occasion no less than
four players in red were left clean through, and regularly the home keeper was left alone to try to
repel waves of Camborne attackers.

Playing downhill and with the strong wind behind them, it was no surprise that title-chasing
Camborne Park struck early, being two-nil up after only 5 minutes, and added a third directly from
a corner and the goals followed at regular intervals after that. Even the change of direction
at half time and a number of substitutions didn't halt the flow. The only surprise was perhaps
that the score was not even higher. Some wasteful finishing and a couple of decent saves kept
the score in single figures from 60 minutes to 80, but one final push in the last ten
minutes saw the visitors break into double figures, the final two goals both again being the
result of quick breaks beating the offside trap and a fine individual goal and a long range shot

beating a despairing dive from the keeper

Penwith kept battling to the end but a lack of numbers at the end of the season (they only had
one sub, and he didn't arrive until 40 minutes in when they had already lost a man due to injury)
have seen them take two heavy home defeats to title conteNders within 48 hours.

Looking forward towards a new season now, hopefully with some new Cornish venues to visit!

I had wanted to visit the Exiles' ground at Mount's Bay School to complete my quest to visit

every ground in Cornwall regularly used for Saturday adult football and last night I achieved

However, from a spectatnig point of view it was one of the least enjoyable 90 minutes I have had this season.

The strong wind never let up all night, turning the match into something of a farce, and of course with

no shelter available, watching was a case of turning your back to the wind as much as possible.

Two of the corner flags were blown clean down before kick-off, and a third gave up the ghost early

As for the football, it was, I'm sorry to say, a complete mismatch. Penwith tried to play a very

high defensive line, which is fine if you've got the players to work it, but their defenders were

short on pace and every ball either over the top or through the defence saw Camborne Park have

multiple attackers running on to it, easily beating any offside flag. One one occasion no less than

four players in red were left clean through, and regularly the home keeper was left alone to try to

Playing downhill and with the strong wind behind them, it was no surprise that title-chasing

Camborne Park struck early, being two-nil up after only 5 minutes, and added a third directly from

a corner and the goals followed at regular intervals after that. Even the change of direction

at half time and a number of substitutions didn't halt the flow. The only surprise was perhaps

that the score was not even higher. Some wasteful finishing and a couple of decent saves kept

the score in single figures from 60 minutes to 80, but one final push in the last ten

minutes saw the visitors break into double figures, the final two goals both again being the

result of quick breaks beating the offside trap and a fine individual goal and a long range shot

Penwith kept battling to the end but a lack of numbers at the end of the season (they only had

one sub, and he didn't arrive until 40 minutes in when they had already lost a man due to injury)

Looking forward towards a new season now, hopefully with some new Cornish venues to visit!

Fair report tbh, I played cb then st and tbh wasn't nicest game to play in but three points won is the main thing for us on our quest for the title

Guest BenTheYeti

Lockhart Cup

St Ives Town Reserves 4 - 1 RNAS Culdrose Reserves

After spending 10 days enjoying this year's summer.. it was no surprise that we turned up at The Saltings to be greeted by weather more suited to The Day After Tomorrow, with a wind blowing from one end to the other that quite simply ruined this game even before a ball was kicked.
Bar two players out injured, we were back to full strength, and after Dagger's had given us a speech straight from Winston Churchill's diary, we were tasked with trying to score as many as possible with the gale at our backs.
The first 20 minutes were of absolutely no quality of football whatsoever, as we found the wind more of a hinderance than anything, as anytime the ball left the floor by more than 6 inches, it shot off for quicker than the passing trains for goal kicks or throw ins, At the other end, Culdrose were doing a fine job of keeping hold of possession and battling to get the ball as high up the pitch as possible. The only real chance of the opening exchanges came when the OAP sent one in with the outside of his zimmer frame, and The Fridge got up well but his header troubled the wildlife more than the goalkeeper.
As both teams started to adapt to the conditions, Daggers was forced into two early substitutions, as Jumping Jack Flash felt a groin injury flare up from doing his mind boggling goal celebration on Tuesday night, and The Fridge blew a fuse, with Macca and the Ginger Berbatov the replacements. This also brought a change in formation, and this almost immediately paid dividends, as the OAP once again fizzed in a cross, and Alex Brown, now up front, got on the end of it, only to be denied by a fine save by the keeper's foot.
Alex wasn't to be denied for long though, and after 35 minutes of huffing and puffing, we got an opening goal. After a bit of midfield pinball, the ball made a rare visit to the left wing, and just as rare were two St Ives players in space, with Macca playing the ball into Andy, who for once didn't have to Michael Flatley his way past 14 defenders, instead playing a delightful slide rule pass into the path of Alex, who made no mistake in slotting home.
With the wind so strong, we knew that 1-0 at half time would probably not be enough of a lead to defend, and got a second goal just before half time, albeit in You've Been Framed fashion. The ball found itself in the hands of the Yeti for only the 4th time in the match, and instead of skewing a kick towards the spectators, I rolled it out to Nick at right back. An extra strong gust of wind must have picked up, as it blew him and the ball forward over the half way line, but his 1-2 with the OAP looked to have failed as the ball sped on towards the keeper. However, Nick had got into 8th gear by now and gamely charged after the ball, leaving the keeper with no alternative other than trying to kick up field. Unfortunately for him, he only succeeded in clearing the ball 2 yards into Nick's face, with the ball ballooning up in the air and flying into the back of the net from all of 30 yards. Goal of the Season contender some might say.
HT 2-0
All out attack now looked likely to turn into all out defence for the men in grey, and this soon seemed to be the case as our defence parted like Moses had uttered some biblical words, with the Culdrose striker running straight through the middle. Luckily he took on the task of trying to go round me, which is about 400 metres when I lie full stretch on the ground, and I got a hand to the ball and the danger was cleared.
This was a jolt to the system we needed, which I think also coincided with the hurricane slightly easing, and we were able to play something more resembling football. Culdrose, despite their obvious depletion having played 15 games in 3 days or something ridiculous, were still providing a stern test though, and once again, the game was very even with both midfields working hard to maintain possession.
The all important third goal arrived after an hour had passed, and it went the way of the home team. The Under 15's that is our midfield had shaken off the spectre of having to go home after the game and do their homework, and when Barney Poznansky finally found himself not being marked by 15 men in blue, he turned the ball on towards the Ginger Berbatov, who was playing in a custom role of left sided defensive midfield centre forward, and he released Alex Brown, who spent the evening putting the Energizer Bunny to shame, and his perfectly weighted cross was met by the OAP who had come rampaging in from right wing to volley home from 6 yards for what was the finest moment of quality in the game.
Just to make it interesting, and after my mantra of "a clean sheet wins the game" had fallen on deaf ears (including my own), we gifted Culdrose a goal back. Nick Strong found himself in a Par 4's worth of space at right back, and thus played an excellent through ball to the Culdrose winger, who gallivanted off towards the penalty area with Nick in hot pursuit. I thought this would be an excellent time to do the Hokey Cokey, and as Nick got back to deflect the cross, had I been anywhere remotely near the 6 yard box, a simple catch would have ensued. Naturally, I wasn't, and the cross looped over me and the Culdrose striker beat Andrew Chard to the header from all of 2 yards.
3-1 very nearly became 3-2, as the Airmen came forward with renewed purpose, and a corner from the right angled in towards goal in the wind, and I was lucky that my Kobe Bryant impression slam dunked the ball off the cross bar and to safety (some cheeky so and so, who apparently even had a shot himself, chirped up at the time that it would have been a great own goal!)
This was as good as it got for the men in blue though, and the defensive 4 of Noah Tanner (who had turned into a ball magnet for the evening and was utterly fantastic throughout), Fake Tan Curnow, Andrew Chard and Nick Strong made sure nothing else came my way, and as the legs tired for the away team, we threatened to add to the scoring on several occasions, with Macca finally doing so when more good pass and move stuff led to Barney having a cross-shot, which Macca expertly tuned in with his shin/ankle.

Due to the horrible weather, not really an enjoyable evening for anyone present I'd imagine, but we got the job done and move on to a semi final on Sunday so plenty of time to recover for that one. Fair play to Culdrose, who as mentioned above were struggling for a team hours before the kick off, and they duly competed very well, and we expect a close game again when the two sides meet in the league on Wednesday

Very well refereed by Liam Mankee, though to be fair I think he only had to give 5 fouls in the whole match, as there wasn't a single bad challenge from either team

Guest BenTheYeti

Liam's third game in three evenings too.Lizard Tuesday,Illogan on Wednesday and St.Ives on Thursday.

Yeah we were chatting to him last night before the game, he looked knackered! Was fearing the prospect of extra time and penalties!

Had him twice this season and he was excellent both times

the individual goal your talking about from mike finlay was fantastic goal which referee commented on after the game to our manager, and also a wonderful strike from pete norfolk, was good win and tough for penwith having to play us and gwinear in a week doesnt help, but sure if keep all together get few more in and keep effort and workrate up and next season be better im sure!

from our point view we scored 11, should have been more some wasteful finishing and trying to walk the ball in the net but end day 3 points is 3 points and good win ahead of clash with helston sunday