Cornwall Football Forum

Hoops and Lafs leave Mount Wise

I agree you are certainly trying to progress, but surely throwing money at something thats failing isnt the answer. I think thats what amuses people. If you are honest you cant say that this season was a success? What i mean is out of the 10 cornish clubs in the league (not including pz) newquay have arguably spent the most money to finish 7th out of the 10 cornish clubs. I didnt count pz in the stat due to them not paying expenses to players? However i wont knock the ground or the people who work extremley hard in the commitee room at newquay and when you arrive at the ground it certainly has a `proper` feel to it. Maybe a change of direction is needed Nemesis, get more of the local boys back and create the `club` atmosphere again without splashing the money, you know as well as everyone that as soon as it runs out, everyone will all dissapear. Its happened at most clubs in cornwall including bodmin. Dont let yours be next.

You may be right leedsunited, will have to wait and see who applies for the job and what direction each applicant wants to take the club, I'm sure the committee will have an interesting few weeks sorting out the good from the bad and the ugly. However, as shown by PZ, if you do not spend a little, you will suffer in the Prem. You cannot ask players to travel say more than 50 miles round trip without fuel money at the very least, then factor in car insurance, car tax, wear & tear, it is only fair that if a club does not provide a minibus, that expenses for travel are made.

I for one, am against paying players to actually kick a ball at this level, it is a personal view and I do not have any say in what expenses the club may pay to players. I know that there are two, maybe more last season that did not take a penny, football needs more like them. However, to say that Newquay were throwing money at players is just wrong, not that anyone outside of Mount Wise believes it.

If you look at all the clubs who have been promoted to the Prem, none finished higher than 8th in their first season, it takes time to adjust from what is a poor West Div to the much higher standard of the Prem. In fact, Wadebridge and Penzance have both gone back down, Camelford have settled well and St Austell are progressing quickly. So based on that information, did Newquay have such a bad season, including a Senior Cup semi-final ?

What you can expect, is an interesting summer at Mount Wise whenever the new boss is announced, new brooms and all that.

Newquay have done well to retain their place in the peninsula so i would just sit back give them recognition and do the talking this time next season when they will have to push on. It's hard to criticise when you've only just completed your first season at the top level if this League.

As for youth set-ups Newquay are up there but surely Saltash have the best with two different Saltash organisations in Youth and United Juniors and a nice club set-up and youth fan base?

Is trevor mewton still involved at the club Nemesis, Surely a guy with his past record, knowledge and experience of the club he would be the perfect candidate. Or a maybe used as a mentor to the new manager to be used to bounce ideas off?

Trevor Mewton is the Director of Football at Newquay AFC. Unfortunately he hasn't fulfilled his role effectively this season. I can't remember the last time that I saw him watching any of the teams. Possibly he has reasons why he hasn't been involved but he has certainly been elusive.

The club needs someone with more committment than that.

My point being that being a Newquay man & working behind the scenes at the club, seeing all the hard work that goes into the raising of the funds for the playing budget etc maybe he would appreciate it more than most other managers & wouldnt waste it as freely as others would? He must have great affection for Newquay Afc for him to return to the club he started at all those years ago. Could he insert himself as manager being `Director of Football`!?

I'm not a Mewton fan, but am probably in a minority. To be fair to him, I have seen him at a few Reserve matches in the recent past. I'd suggest that Hooper possibly did not want the distraction of Mewton at SWPL games, perhaps trying to impose his own authority on things. It would be for the committee to decide on the next managerial appointment, I'm not going to be drawn on who I want, I actually have no idea if I'm honest.

I would love for Trevor to take the helm, have seen him afew times this season at mount wise, he just has an air of authority about him and i agree that he would put the clubs best interests first. I know a couple of current players in both firsts & seconds & the general vibes they are giving are positive & that he would be welcomed with open arms. Especially by the Newquay contingent of the squad. Hoops & Phil did a fantastic job, but maybe a different emphasis & direction is what the club needs now this situation has arisen. Someone that can nurture the young players and develop them into first team material but also keep us competitive without spending hideous sums of money in the process Anyone that can do this or knows of anyone please contact Mr. Butterly!! With the amount of players that have represented the county youth from the club just shows we are not that far way.

I'm not a Mewton fan, but am probably in a minority. To be fair to him, I have seen him at a few Reserve matches in the recent past. I'd suggest that Hooper possibly did not want the distraction of Mewton at SWPL games, perhaps trying to impose his own authority on things. It would be for the committee to decide on the next managerial appointment, I'm not going to be drawn on who I want, I actually have no idea if I'm honest.

What utter tripe

I have seen Trevor at mt wise a few times i have been up there when i havnt been up plymouth and seen him at a few away games i went to ,it would be good if he did come back and brought the glory days back to Newquay ,but that wont happen because no one can compete with Bodmin its just as well give the league trophy to Bodmin before the season starts they should have to go up to a higher league but they like filling there trophy cabinet up every year those shelves must be about to collapse by now ,why dont they give another team a chance like NEWQUAY GODOLPHIN AND the team to watch ST AUSTELL

There are alot of managers past & present that have that stigma im afraid. What i do think though is like i stated previous, being a newquay man & knowing the club like he does surely he would be more careful than anyone with their finance? Sam mckune was a name i heard mentioned, no experience in management but again being from the town knowing the players & having played under trevor maybe that might work? Tommy matthews recently left his role as county youth manager having managed afew of the newquay players at that level..and again has played under Trevor Mewton...maybe derek martin leave the now `noisy neighbours` and become a peppermint?

It's going to be an interesting few weeks at mount wise that's for sure, I'd have thrown my hat in for the job but wouldn't be right as hoops was really good to me when I expressed an interest in getting involved when moving to Newquay and plus I don't have the contacts here. But for now all concentration and effort at the club is focused on making sure the reserves avoid relegation.

Can understand the clamour for Trev Mewton to a certain extent but, the reality is, wherever he's been successful is where he's had pots of money to throw at it. On the face of it he hasn't been an advocate of youth policy in the past - he'd rather buy a mercenary, a la Alan Carey, than promote from within, so I hope Newquay don't throw good money after bad.

I see what your saying but im sure the guys on the board are wise enough to that happening, what i will say is that there are no comparisons whatsoever between Trevor or `a la carey` as you put it! Point being Trevor has won over 13 League championships with four different clubs & god knows how many domestic cup competitions during his career, carey just spends lots of money & then walks away when it goes wrong at any point. Sorry Falfootie in my eyes that is not a comparison? On a lighter note any chance of you charming your manager into playing your fourth side when you visit newquay next weekend for the combo fixture, could really do with the points!! (only joshing!!)

Sorry Adams, Falmouth are struggling to put out 2 sides, let alone 4 :)

I agree with you that it's, perhaps, not a true comparison between Trevor & Mr Carey but the point I was trying to make was that Trevor's success has been built on having significant financial resources available and not really having a youth policy or promoting within.

Unfortunately, Mr Carey was one of a long line of Falmouth managers who "didn't give a ****" (in the words of a former reserve team manager) about the reserves or youth set up, which has led to the club being in the predicament that they currently find themselves. Many of the youth players disappeared to other clubs as soon as they were able to play 'adult' football as they quickly realised there was no progression through to the first team, as long as there was money available to bring in mercenaries. In many respects this was the fault of the club's (non-football) management for weak leadership and a lack of vision. Unfortunately, this is going to take a very long time to turn around. Les & Robbie have had to look more locally because of financial restrictions but Falmouth still have a budget, which I would say is not insignificant, so I dread to think how much money was being paid out prior to the restrictions being put in place!

Falmouth aren't the first and won't be the last but it just pains me to see any club failing because they pay money that they don't have. Fortunately, it sounds as if Newquay are not in that boat!

That might be Mr Mourinho, but i think any supporter, clubman or chairman would, could & can justify it if it means being succesful like Trevor has been in his career. By success i mean winning titles & cups. Newquay may not be in `that boat` but that is why its crucial dont make mistakes that other clubs have in regards to wasting money, because in the wrong hands ANY club in cornwall can & will fail. I dont know why people think there is so much money at the club though. It has been proved. Your honesty falfootie in your last post cannot be questioned & i hope you turn things around. As for saturday..well it was worth a try!

I have been asked by Peter Butterly, the chairman of Newquay AFC to post the following statement for him as he is not registered on Cornish Soccer.

The club and commitee of Newquay AFC would like to express their thanks to Glynn and Laffs for the fantastic help they have given to the development of the club during the last 2 years.

It is hoped going forward that Glynn and Laffs will help give an overview and assistance with coaching on the future development of the club. They have given 100% commitment and loyalty to the club and will always be welcome at Mount Wise in any capacity.

The club wish them both well in whichever route they choose to pursue in the future.

Peter Butterly, CHairman of Newquay AFC.

Sounds to me that the commitee took both Glynn & Phils resignation with a very heavy heart judging by Mr Butterlys statement of always being welcome back at the club in any capacity. Good luck to both Glynn & Newquay Afc in the future. Any idea who or when the new manager is going to be announced?

Cant see Mr Carey here, Why on earth would the hard working guys on the commitee at mount wise give finance to a man that has caused financial disaters at every club he has been at!! Take alook at falmouth.. skint, or further back Porthleven they are still counting the cost of giving him the reigns now nearly 15 years on! There is a pattern that omergies with him spends lots of money..it goes wrong...then walks away. For me Trevor Mewtons local knowledge with Chris Morris experience would be a firm foundation to build on. One thing that can be said for Glynn & phil is that they respected their resources and were completley proffesional in everythig they did.

Just like Massey he did the dirty on Falmouth, He has been at Truro before & he will betray them again if things do not go the way he wants Masey & Carey should not be trusted to run any Football club, Hammers. :c: