Cornwall Football Forum

Hoops and Lafs leave Mount Wise

Forget about Fergie. Read the whole story on Glynn Hooper's departure from Newquay AFC exclusively in today's Newquay Voice #cornishfootball

Looks like the #cornishfootball feed is slacking, Tom Howe reported this over an hour ago. Mind you, it is all over the Newquay Voice today.

As far as Newquay supporters are concerned, the vast majority would like to thanks Hoops, Lafs and all the players for their service over the last two years. Getting the club into the Prem Div was the objective, that was achieved in the first season, consolidation for year two, job done.

Where we go from here, wait and see, the club will make an announcement when the time is right.

No truth in the rumour that Hoops is heading to Manchester, Howard Webb already has the job, he's been running them for years anyway. There is some nice tanned fella who feels loved on these Isles and under retirement age that we may be interested in though.

From what I understand, Hoops will take time away from the senior game, concentrate on kids football. Mind you, there was a certain someone sniffing about at Withy & Parkway. Seriously though, Glynn had become cheesed off with certain aspects of the game, players and how he had to manage them. He was very appreciative of the support the club gave him and his team, calling Newquay AFC, a proper football club.

I'm sure that Glynn & Lafs have many other things that take their time, football sometimes has to take a back seat. On a personal note, I'd like to thank them both for what they have done for the club, raised the profile, got us out of the SWPL West which was most important and gave us some great memories. Winning the West title at the neighbours, beating St Blazey for the first time in ages plus all the great days out the fans have had, I could go on but I'm sure there are some who can't wait to have a dig, over to you.

Why is it, that people don't read or understand what they have been told ?. I have the original emailed copy of the interview that my Newquay AFC & Newquay Voice colleague Tom Howe did with Hoops, I have summarised above, the full story is in the Newquay Voice only, a Tom Howe exclusive.

I would have thought it was obvious by now! Is it just me that thinks it is very suspicious that Hoops steps down on the same day that Fergie announces his retirement. Hoops to old Trafford and the special one and David Moyes to fight it out for

the Truro job. Ahh hang on Hoops is a Liverpool fan so that's not gonna happen is it.......back to the drawing board!!!!!!!

Would just like to thank Glynn and Phil for their hardwork. will be missed at Newquay, we had some very good memories and fun along the way. dont think even the players or fans saw this coming...so who will be the new manager...?

I heard newquays money has dried up like many people said would happen. They asked to be put down a league. Running scared of the G derby in the top league in Cornwall.

Hooper will end up at Truro!!!

Newquay will never change :)

In order of you statements.... Wrong...Wrong...Wrong...?????...No need to change, we are all right thanks.

I think newquay have an excellent youth set up and youth policy that has never really been exploited to full potential maybe? Its not all about the money. Would imagen Trevor Mewton would have a huge imput in finding a replacement. I still dont think Glynn will go to Truro City.

Why cant Newquay be run like godolphin they are mostly local lads and they enjoy playing and they can always manage to put out a full team there team is a credit to them all and they will do well in the carlsberg peninsula .Whats gone wrong at Newquay there are so many good people there who work really hard for the team but so many players have left they shouldnt of let players of jake hartingans quality leave time to rebuild in the summer but who will be the next manager im going for a Trevor mewton Chris Morris combo ,Hope Newquay have some decent pre season friendlies this year going to miss going to Bodmin to see a Neil Warnock team but i expect Plymouth will be playing at truro i hope and there will be the Brian Biggin cup which will be good to see Newquay vs Godolphin ,I would like to wish Glyn Hooper and Laffs all the best i expect he will end up back at st blazey .Good luck to Newquay and Godolphin next year hope they will be in the same league

Don't be silly, Jake left to join St Austell for a shed load of money, along with Chris Reski. Jake then spent more time on the bench and decided that he would be better off getting more playing time in the Division below with Godolphin.

There is nothing wrong with Newquay, as Hoops put it "They were my players who I brought in, I take the blame for that"

The club itself is in the black, no debts, and some fantastic people working hard behind the scenes. No doubt the summer will see a clear out or exit of players, the club and the new manager, whoever that may be, will rebuild based on the loyal players who remain. There will be a new influx of 16 year olds coming to the Parent club, lets hope there are some Chrissy Luxton types in amongst them.

With regard to pre-season games, we are hopeful that Western Prem side, Buckland Athletic will be visiting and perhaps another side from Devon. It is unlikely that any club in Cornwall will have a game against a Football League side this summer.

My choice would be some Portuguese fella, suntan, grey hair, under retirement age, Gods footballing representative on Earth. However locally, I honestly don't know who I feel would best serve the club, and really don't care for now, my concern is to ensure the club saves the Reserves from relegation.

The clubs committee will await applications and interview from a short list. Next seasons budget is unknown, that will depend on fund raising over the summer and sponsorship packages taken up. The new manager will decide on which players he has in his squad, be they youngsters, locals, lads from other areas or import a team from Portugal, as long as he sticks to whatever budget is agreed, then the club will continue to be solid. We have the FA Vase to look forward to, that will attract managers and players to the club, every player wants the chance to play 'new' sides and possible Vase weekenders upcountry.

Cant see Mr Carey here, Why on earth would the hard working guys on the commitee at mount wise give finance to a man that has caused financial disaters at every club he has been at!! Take alook at falmouth.. skint, or further back Porthleven they are still counting the cost of giving him the reigns now nearly 15 years on! There is a pattern that omergies with him spends lots of money..it goes wrong...then walks away. For me Trevor Mewtons local knowledge with Chris Morris experience would be a firm foundation to build on. One thing that can be said for Glynn & phil is that they respected their resources and were completley proffesional in everythig they did.

Hooper will be going truro was told that weeks ago nemesis why beat around the bush all the time? LOYAL half of the g's team are nqy youth players and the reason they play for the g is because they look after there players, unfortunately nqy messed them around and defo wouldnt go back there has nqy found out the beggining of the season, and has for luke ( riggers) letting one of the most gifted players go WAS A JOKE and before u say it he didnt like the thought of so many players being bought in for money only and p~~~~ing 2 or 3 other good locals off, LOYAL TO WHO ???????? Even the 3rd teams boys wont play for the 2nd team thats the real reason why they couldnt even raise a team for the combo side. And i reallyhope that mewton takes over now and that will be your final nail in the coffin AND THE YOUTH TEAM ARE STILL RUN SEPERATE FROM THE SENOIR SIDE.

Hooper will be going truro was told that weeks ago nemesis why beat around the bush all the time? LOYAL half of the g's team are nqy youth players and the reason they play for the g is because they look after there players, unfortunately nqy messed them around and defo wouldnt go back there has nqy found out the beggining of the season, and has for luke ( riggers) letting one of the most gifted players go WAS A JOKE and before u say it he didnt like the thought of so many players being bought in for money only and p~~~~ing 2 or 3 other good locals off, LOYAL TO WHO ???????? Even the 3rd teams boys wont play for the 2nd team thats the real reason why they couldnt even raise a team for the combo side. And i reallyhope that mewton takes over now and that will be your final nail in the coffin AND THE YOUTH TEAM ARE STILL RUN SEPERATE FROM THE SENOIR SIDE.

Glynn Hooper was a truly great player - no doubt about that. However there are many examples of great players not always making great managers or even enjoying it and perhaps he falls into that category. I wish him all the very best for the future.

Amazing, all these experts who know how to run one of the biggest football clubs in the South West, can't wait to see your CVs for the job when it is advertised... but then again, you wouldn't want the job, far too beneath you obviously.

Everyone knows the budget, everyone knows what they think has gone wrong, everyone knows what needs doing, everyone thinks they are better than those at Mount Wise. Welcome aboard, you've all got the job, drop yours suitcases full of cash behind the bar, get scrubbing the changing rooms, go cut the grass, fix the floodlights, paint the stand and surrounding areas, organise a squad that you feel will challenge for silverware solely on the money that the club raise (your suitcases were just full of dirty washing) and when you have done all that, we'll give you some real work to do.

One if the biggest in the south west?

Serious question, what makes Newquay that? History, number of teams, number of players signed on, revenue, ground?

The problem with the vast majority of senior teams is loyalty from players, imo only helston and godolphin can proclaim to be sustainable and successfull as the nucleus of players are local

One if the biggest in the south west?

Serious question, what makes Newquay that? History, number of teams, number of players signed on, revenue, ground?

The problem with the vast majority of senior teams is loyalty from players, imo only helston and godolphin can proclaim to be sustainable and successfull as the nucleus of players are local

Dito to the above!! The amount of work that goes unrecognised is huge behind the scenes. Surely you see my point in my previous post, the direction & emphasis has to be on local based players instead of what we have had in the past seasons where we have been used by certain guys & had nothing back in return, apart from an empty bar by 6.30pm because everyone has to travel back to different ends of county. Trevor Mewton bring the good times back! A Newquay man that can be trusted to take the clubs interests first.

Think that some loyalty of Helston and Godolphin players will be tested when the face hard times, hope that won't happen though as they are both two cracking clubs.

Nemesis, if that is your basis to be Kane of the biggest cubs in the SW, then I'm going to put Wendron up there too. We get ALWAYS get 4 teams out on a Saturday, plus a Sunday and Vets side. As well as countless successful youth teams, and holding what I think is (certainly used to be) the biggest youth tourney in the SW. Plus top facilities for a Combo side.

Anyway, best of luck to Hoops and Lafs wherever it is they go next. And also to Newquay. I think Nemesis enthusiasm for the club, perhaps like mine for Wendron, may not always win over fans; but they appear to be trying to do it the right way in most aspects.

Newquay have got to be 1 of the biggest clubs in the south west in the summer months the town is packed and visitors often go to mt wise to watch the team play ,how many other teams cansay that Man city , Watford West Brom Rushden Diamonds have played on there grounds Bodmin will suffer with no mr Warnocks team playing there thats there best money spinner with th big crowds .The days of the big clubs coming to the south west have now gone .It was brilliant when the Liverpool legends played here in Newquay how about a Man utd legends match up there in july the ground would be sold out

2012/13 - 8th Highest placed Cornish club in the National System. 3rd best supported Cornish Club. The FA Charter Standard Community Club Award for Cornwall which is part of The FA Community Awards.

On top of that, Newquay AFC have the biggest youth set up of any Cornish club, and possibly this side of Bristol. The senior side can claim a huge amount of Titles & Cups won over the years including very recently, SWPL West Runners Up & Champions, and Charity Cup winners. The Ladies side won titles and cups galore before reaching the 2nd tier of the National System (then ruined by Heaneys cash), the girls came home, rebuilt and are still the highest ranked Cornish side.The pitch ain't too shabby, the club having won the CCFA Groundsmans award last year, the stadium is historically one of the biggest and best in the County.

Any other digs you'd like to get in before the summer break ?

A modern stadium (plural stadiums/stadia) is a place or venue for (mostly) outdoor sports, concerts, or other events and consists of a field or stage either partly or completely surrounded by a structure designed to allow spectators to stand or sit and view the event.

NEXT !

Nemesis you bite far to much everyone in here likes to have a pop at Newquay just accept it and don't reply easy, but in reference to the ground argument I wouldn't call mount wise a stadium it's a nice ground but stadium is stretching it a bit

And as for how big Newquay as a club is, yes they should be a big club for the size if town it's in, but they have had their problems on and off the field from what I've been informed (correct me if I'm wrong), they have the potential to develop into a bigger club but there is a lot of work to be done to achieve this, most notably is the structure and pathway for the development if young talent, having the biggest youth set up doesn't mean you'll develop the best players, normally means you'll end up with lots if average ones and one or two good ones.

As a new guy at Newquay looking at the club I like it but I can see where some improvements can be me made, but its going to take time.

2012/13 - 8th Highest placed Cornish club in the National System. 3rd best supported Cornish Club. The FA Charter Standard Community Club Award for Cornwall which is part of The FA Community Awards.

On top of that, Newquay AFC have the biggest youth set up of any Cornish club, and possibly this side of Bristol. The senior side can claim a huge amount of Titles & Cups won over the years including very recently, SWPL West Runners Up & Champions, and Charity Cup winners. The Ladies side won titles and cups galore before reaching the 2nd tier of the National System (then ruined by Heaneys cash), the girls came home, rebuilt and are still the highest ranked Cornish side.The pitch ain't too shabby, the club having won the CCFA Groundsmans award last year, the stadium is historically one of the biggest and best in the County.

Any other digs you'd like to get in before the summer break ?

You do talk so much crap always have!! The youth set up was never set up by newquay. No one from Newquay was ever involved in the set up. To be honest Derrick Martin was a big part of how the youth centre started up. You have just taken over after all the hard work was done. Lets face it the youth wont get many chances to play for the 1st you don't look local you like to dish out the money to get players until it falls apart again. May be one of the bigger clubs but its one of the worst for having people respect!! Lets hope the reserve side get relegated.

With all due respect Goldeneye, I fear it is you that is without a roof.

Jamie, your moniker is one that does not suit your talent or mentality.

Andy, this is the sort of crap Newquay have to put up with, too many bitter and twisted folk with nothing better to do than knock a club who try to progress through hard work.

With all due respect Goldeneye, I fear it is you that is without a roof.

Jamie, your moniker is one that does not suit your talent or mentality.

Andy, this is the sort of crap Newquay have to put up with, too many bitter and twisted folk with nothing better to do than knock a club who try to progress through hard work.

Im not bitter or twisted. I enjoyed my times at Newquay and would not hesitate playing their again. I never got my chance to play firsts when I should have been getting a shout. it is a good club but was way to clicky. I respect all the work you have done for Newquay over the years not many people would stick with a club like you have. The reserve are well in the crap this year and I do disagree with using the first to get them out of it.

On the youth and local players though. Their are good local players that could do a job.