Cornwall Football Forum

SWP Official Statement : Promotion & Relegation

Please be advised :

The board of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula Football League Ltd have postponed the board meeting originally scheduled for tonight (6th May) as it has become obvious that many promotion & relegation issues affecting clubs remain unresolved due to the large back-log of fixtures this winter.

The meeting will now be on Monday 20th May, by which time all remaining issues will be resolved.

The current situation, for clarity purposes, are listed below :

AFC Brixham - Applied for promotion from South Devon League to SWP Division One. League grading committee have passed the ground and now await the clubs final league position.

Bude Town AFC - Applied for promotion from East Cornwall League to SWP Division One. League grading committee have passed the ground and now await the clubs final league position. (With Millbrook, only 1 can be succesful as both Bude & Millbrook are in same feeer league).

Elmore AFC - Applied for a sideways move to SWP Premier, the league have accepted the application and just await formal FA approval.

Exmouth Town AFC - Applied for promotion from SWP East to Premier - Finished season as Champions and ground meets reqd standard, therefore promotion confirmed.

Godolphin Atlantic AFC - Applied for promotion from SWP West to Premier - Finished season as Champions and ground committee has given dispensation for approved planning permission granted by Cornwall council for lights & stand. Additional work to dressing rooms to bring them to the required standard now (not dispensation), therefore promotion confirmed.

Helston Athletic AFC - Applied for Promotion from SWP West to Premier - Will finish 2nd or 3rd depending on results, would have met dispensation rule but as Godolphin accepted they cannot be.

Millbrook AFC - Applied for promotion from East Cornwall League to SWP Division One. League grading committee have passed the ground and now await the clubs final league position. (With Bude, only 1 can be succesful as both Bude & Millbrook are in same feeer league).

Plymouth Parkway AFC - Have applied for promotion to Western League Premier, still require a win from final game to secure 2nd spot.

St Martins AFC - Applied for promotion from Devon & Exeter League to SWP Division One but have subsquently withdrawn the application, therefore failed.

Stoke Gabriel AFC - Applied for Promotion from SWP East to Premier - Will finish 2nd and would have met dispensation rule but as Exmouth accepted they cannot be.

Wadebridge Town AFC - Applied for Promotion from SWP West to Premier - Will finish 2nd or 3rd depending on results, would have met ground grading standards but as Godolphin accepted they cannot be.

Finally for clarity purposes only, Barnstaple Town have not applied for, or indicated, a desire to be relegated to the SWP, we expect the Western League to place them in their Division One but this is not a matter for us.

Regards

Philip Hiscox (Company Secretary)

I don't comment much these days but in this case I have to give huge congratulations to Godolphin for their incredible achievement; I have seen them in both games against Wadebridge this season and although Mark has done a great job with the Bridgers I don't think they are quite ready, but Godolphin are and I have been very impressed with their shape and organisation, and there is only one person responsible and that is the manager.

Derek has to be right up there has one of the County's top managers now and his achievement's speak for themselves and with the support from Tony, Tania, Muff and everyone associated with the club I think they will do very well next season.

Good luck to Godolphin for next season and I hope Mark can take us up to join you,

Blackie

Congrats to all who have gained promotions to the various Divisions. Looking forward to the biggest derby in the SWPL being on again, congrats to the neighbours in making Newquay the only town with two SWPL clubs, and now two Premier SWPL clubs. Looking forward to the all new, improved Godolphin Way, a seated stand for us old gits will be most welcome.

Yes congratulations to both Godolphin and Exmouth on gaining promotion. Since the league do not intend applying the play-off rule in the constitution, it is time for the rule to be changed.

My suggested rule amendment is simple - in the event of a side based in Devon or Cornwall transfers or is relegated from a higher league, the league may relegate the third from bottom club from SWP Premier.

The Midland Alliance changed their constitution several years ago to relegate up to 3 sides.

For SWP, it's too late for this season. We will likely end up with the more than 20 in the Premier and both East and West under subscribed.

So skippy, is your club putting this forward to this year's AGM on June 4th?

I'm a neutral and not a member of any club, (however do have a few favourites). I have every faith in Phil Hiscox and the SWP committee to consider such an amendment at the AGM. This is after all the best run non-league competition by far in these parts.

Echo the last part but I doubt they will consider it unless someone proposes it. It could come from the management committee, I suppose, but where is the demand for change?

Four reasons for the change

1. The current rules requiring the East and West teams to play-off are not being applied, presumably because it seen to be unfair to deny the top East or West club promotion

2. It is not logical to have the Premier with more than the maximum 20 clubs at the same time East and West divisions are short of clubs.

3. It is reasonable to expect that a Devon club will be relegated to Step 6 every few seasons and they may prefer to join the SWP. A few months ago, 4 teams from Devon were in the bottom half of the Western League Premier.

4. The top club from both East and West deserve a SWP Premier place over the club finishing 18th.

How about to spice things up a bit that 2nd place in East and West have a playoff on a neutual venue or even a two legged playoff to seal promotion. 3 relegated from premier division and the boundrys re drawn each season id needed.

How about to spice things up a bit that 2nd place in East and West have a playoff on a neutual venue or even a two legged playoff to seal promotion. 3 relegated from premier division and the boundrys re drawn each season id needed.

A good idea paul, I've thought about this too as it will create more promotion opportunities for West & East Division clubs, its a shame that only one club per division can be promoted which continues to deny a club like Helston who have performed way above Division 1 West status throughout the season a deserved place in the Premier Division. I am sure that they would have competed to a high level in the Premier Division next season if they had been given the chance, instead they are stuck in Division 1 unable to match their talent against the best teams in the League.

Completely agree midlandlilywhite, I know Helston finished runners up to deserved winners godolphin, but we've shown we can compete with the best on numerous occasions. It's a shame because when teams have players talented enough to play in the prem, and the team they play for is denied the opportunity to match the ambitions of their players, the team could loose several players, which we all know could lead to a mass exodus and then the team is back to square one, I know a lot of it comes down to loyalty but what about when players want to better themselves and play at a higher level, it's a tough one!

That's my point though, what if we all want to stick together and try to get our home club in the prem, however the players want to better themselves?Just seems a shame that a team could fall apart because of it. Suppose it all comes down to the player, whereas it'd be nice to think a team with ambition could be rewarded, if that makes sense!?

If helston wanted to get promoted they should have won the league, so they have not been 'denied an opportunity'

Who is to say if helston got promoted after winning div 1 next season some players would not leave anyway and get snapped up by more established prem teams

Haha if only it was that easy quiksilver! I just think that people bang on about how the peninsula league is getting stale because nobody takes promotion and the leagues get scorelines like 9-0 and 10-0 nearly every other week, so to stop these scores the top sides in the divisions should go up, and the bottom sides getting hammered every week should go down, I'm just saying maybe promote/relegate more than one teams then hopefully we'll see more competitive games? And if Helston were to win the league next year I'm pretty confident all the lads would stick together to play in the prem in the same team! Would be a good experience playing in that league with a bunch of best mates!

Great idea for the two champions from east and west get promoted then a play off of the two runners up to get promoted also it would stop leagues getting stale!

In the Trelawney league three teams get relegated regardless if teams pull out of their respective leagues IF reserve teams are in the top three of the league below and a couple pull out of the higher league (which has happened) as many as you like can get promoted to fill the spaces

Blues10, The G were in helstons shoes for the previous season or 2 having finished 4th and 2nd, and ran the risk of losing talented players to "bigger" and "better" teams. Clubs were offering Godolphin players money left right and centre but they all stuck together and it's paid off.

It's a test of character and of loyalty.

Helston did well this season but still finished 15points short. The real test now is seeing if you can all stick together and make it to where you and many others think you should be.....

A good idea paul, I've thought about this too as it will create more promotion opportunities for West & East Division clubs, its a shame that only one club per division can be promoted which continues to deny a club like Helston who have performed way above Division 1 West status throughout the season a deserved place in the Premier Division. I am sure that they would have competed to a high level in the Premier Division next season if they had been given the chance, instead they are stuck in Division 1 unable to match their talent against the best teams in the League.

A play off between the runners-up would also extend the season for a number of clubs who would be in with a chance of fininshing 2nd. This would create more interest in a number of end of season games which otherwise would have been dead fixtures. It would also prevent some clubs in the Premier Division "sitting on their laurels" knowing that they would be safe as only the bottom two were going to be relegated e.g this season Liskeard knew Penzance would be relegated due to Dartmouth's resignation at the start of the season.

The current situation of only one club per division can be demotivating especially if you have a runaway leader such as Godolphin whereas the clubs just below them having nothing to play for other than some prize money. A number of clubs in the West Division and the probably the East Division as well are certainly better teams than most of those in the bottom half of the Premier Division. The current situation denies these clubs the opportunity to play at a higher level which they deserve to and makes the Premier Division stale, safeguarding a number of clubs who just survive each season.

The play offs could be played either on a home & away basis which I feel would be better for the supporters of the clubs than a neutral venue. Give it a go.

Some v good posts here, and the underlying problem seems to be with teams not taking promotion - however, how can clubs make the step up without financial support. It would be more productive if the FA were to support clubs at this level to be able to make the step up and advise how this can be maintained; so can this be done - Buckland have taken the step and i'm sure lessons have been learned. Costs are the main stumbling block, that and a sound committee structure who can raise year on year sponsorship , - with all the money around at the very top level it would be good to to see finances filtering through to teams who have the ambition and ability like Bodmin and would balance out the levels between teams.

Please be advised :

The board of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula Football League Ltd have postponed the board meeting originally scheduled for tonight (6th May) as it has become obvious that many promotion & relegation issues affecting clubs remain unresolved due to the large back-log of fixtures this winter.

The meeting will now be on Monday 20th May, by which time all remaining issues will be resolved.

The current situation, for clarity purposes, are listed below :

AFC Brixham - Applied for promotion from South Devon League to SWP Division One. League grading committee have passed the ground and now await the clubs final league position.

Bude Town AFC - Applied for promotion from East Cornwall League to SWP Division One. League grading committee have passed the ground and now await the clubs final league position. (With Millbrook, only 1 can be succesful as both Bude & Millbrook are in same feeer league).

Elmore AFC - Applied for a sideways move to SWP Premier, the league have accepted the application and just await formal FA approval.

Exmouth Town AFC - Applied for promotion from SWP East to Premier - Finished season as Champions and ground meets reqd standard, therefore promotion confirmed.

Godolphin Atlantic AFC - Applied for promotion from SWP West to Premier - Finished season as Champions and ground committee has given dispensation for approved planning permission granted by Cornwall council for lights & stand. Additional work to dressing rooms to bring them to the required standard now (not dispensation), therefore promotion confirmed.

Helston Athletic AFC - Applied for Promotion from SWP West to Premier - Will finish 2nd or 3rd depending on results, would have met dispensation rule but as Godolphin accepted they cannot be.

Millbrook AFC - Applied for promotion from East Cornwall League to SWP Division One. League grading committee have passed the ground and now await the clubs final league position. (With Bude, only 1 can be succesful as both Bude & Millbrook are in same feeer league).

Plymouth Parkway AFC - Have applied for promotion to Western League Premier, still require a win from final game to secure 2nd spot.

St Martins AFC - Applied for promotion from Devon & Exeter League to SWP Division One but have subsquently withdrawn the application, therefore failed.

Stoke Gabriel AFC - Applied for Promotion from SWP East to Premier - Will finish 2nd and would have met dispensation rule but as Exmouth accepted they cannot be.

Wadebridge Town AFC - Applied for Promotion from SWP West to Premier - Will finish 2nd or 3rd depending on results, would have met ground grading standards but as Godolphin accepted they cannot be.

Finally for clarity purposes only, Barnstaple Town have not applied for, or indicated, a desire to be relegated to the SWP, we expect the Western League to place them in their Division One but this is not a matter for us.

Regards

Philip Hiscox (Company Secretary)

Any news? My guess the changes for next season are

West

- Bude in

- Penzance in

- Godolophin out (promoted to Premier)

- 17 clubs

East

- Exmouth out (promoted to Premier)

- Brixham in, subject to finishing 3rd

- 15 or 16 clubs

Premier

- Godolphin in

- Exmouth in

- Elmore in

- Penzance out

- 21 clubs

Pity the rules don't allow the 18th Premier club to be relegated!

# JUST PUBLISHED ON SWPL FORUM #

South West Peninsula League Constitution 2013/14

Following the league board meeting held at Tavistock AFC on Monday 20th May have released the following statement:

The Ground-Grading Sub Committee conducted three days of ground grading visits on March 22nd & 28th and April 8th to visit all promotion applicants.

To Step 6:

Elmore, Exmouth Town & Wadebridge Town had all complied as they stand.

Godolphin Atlantic, Helston Athletic & Stoke Gabriel had all complied as per the dispensation rules.

The FA have approved the transfer of Elmore.

The two Division One Champions had qualified so both Exmouth Town & Godolphin Atlantic are promoted.

Dartmouth were officially bottom and the other side in the bottom two as per rule was Penzance who are relegated to Step 7.

Liverton Uniteds request for demotion was approved meaning 20 teams in Premier, one more than the current season.

To Step 7:

AFC Brixham, Bude Town & Millbrook had all complied as they stand but St Martins had failed.

Division One East: Exmouth Town promoted to Step 6 and Liverton United demoted to Step 7. AFC Brixham have completed their fixtures and are currently 3rd but other sides may yet overtake them, if Brixham finish 3rd they will be accepted and the division will run with 17 clubs, if not East will continue with 16 clubs.

Division One West: Godolphin Atlantic promoted to Step 6 and Penzance relegated to Step 7. Bude Town had met ground and league position so promoted from the feeder leagues, (Millbrook failed as only one club per feeder is permitted). West will run with 17 clubs, 1 more than the current season.

Other Matters:

The board approved the name of change of Exeter Civil Service who will now be known as Exwick Villa AFC.

The league are awaiting further clarification before confirming, but are mindful to agree to Axminster Towns request to play home games at Colyton Grammar School for one season whilst there new ground at Cloakham Lawn is completed.

P A Hiscox

Company Secretary

22 May 2013

# JUST PUBLISHED ON SWPL FORUM #

South West Peninsula League Constitution 2013/14

Following the league board meeting held at Tavistock AFC on Monday 20th May have released the following statement:

The Ground-Grading Sub Committee conducted three days of ground grading visits on March 22nd & 28th and April 8th to visit all promotion applicants.

To Step 6:

Elmore, Exmouth Town & Wadebridge Town had all complied as they stand.

Godolphin Atlantic, Helston Athletic & Stoke Gabriel had all complied as per the dispensation rules.

The FA have approved the transfer of Elmore.

The two Division One Champions had qualified so both Exmouth Town & Godolphin Atlantic are promoted.

Dartmouth were officially bottom and the other side in the bottom two as per rule was Penzance who are relegated to Step 7.

Liverton Uniteds request for demotion was approved meaning 20 teams in Premier, one more than the current season.

To Step 7:

AFC Brixham, Bude Town & Millbrook had all complied as they stand but St Martins had failed.

Division One East: Exmouth Town promoted to Step 6 and Liverton United demoted to Step 7. AFC Brixham have completed their fixtures and are currently 3rd but other sides may yet overtake them, if Brixham finish 3rd they will be accepted and the division will run with 17 clubs, if not East will continue with 16 clubs.

Division One West: Godolphin Atlantic promoted to Step 6 and Penzance relegated to Step 7. Bude Town had met ground and league position so promoted from the feeder leagues, (Millbrook failed as only one club per feeder is permitted). West will run with 17 clubs, 1 more than the current season.

Other Matters:

The board approved the name of change of Exeter Civil Service who will now be known as Exwick Villa AFC.

The league are awaiting further clarification before confirming, but are mindful to agree to Axminster Towns request to play home games at Colyton Grammar School for one season whilst there new ground at Cloakham Lawn is completed.

P A Hiscox

Company Secretary

22 May 2013

An excellent outcome. By good fortune Liverton asked for a demotion and Barnstaple elected to play in the other step 6 competition. Avoided too many clubs in the Premier and too few in East and West.