Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum

Result and Match Report from Blaise Park. St Blazey 2-2 Bovey Tracey

Recommended Posts

A DRAW THE BEST RESULT in the end in which the visitors take charge of the first half and St Blazey the second. Two goals from either side was not enough to find a winner. There could of been more goals in this game had both sets of strikers put away their efforts. In warm conditions the pitch was rather bobbly and made it difficult. Both keepers performed well to frustrate the strikers. Bovey were missing Kai Fisher, Dan Taylor and Hayden Roe and St Blazey included Ryan Yeomans, Dan Cox and Joe Smith despite a couple of subs suffering from injuries.

St Blazey started the best with good play by both wingers and Lewis Coombes linking well with Blazey top scorer Seb Bloomfield. Coombes had two chances to give the hosts the lead. The young striker hit a volley wide followed by a header over with no challenge in a two minute spell, both after crosses by Luke Brown.

On 10 minutes Bovey had an appeal for a penalty turned down after Sam Dicken released Dale O'Donaghue in the box and before shooting at Painter the ball seemed to hit the right hand of Dan Evans as the defender slid in to block a shot at goal. Manager Ryan German responded quite frustrated how the decision to award a penalty was not given, especially when referee Andy Hopkins confirmed to the Manager he had seen a handball.

Liam Head had a good first half for the Moorlanders with crosses into the box any striker would want consistently. It was only the Bovey forwards who didn't capitalise.

Bovey took the lead in the 18th minute. Liam Head raced into the box and when cutting across full back Adam Bance the defender misred the play and Head was brought down. Referee Adam Hopkins awarding the spot kick from which Lee Pascoe cooly smashed in, no chance for Painter.

10 minutes late Dicken had a chance to extend the lead. Plackett played a pass into O'Donaghue and his flick on past the defenders into Dicken set the pacy striker with only the 'keeper to beat, but the pitch into the box made it awkward and Dicken could only see his attempt go wide. Dicken had another chance with no challenge in the final third. Liam Head the creator, Dicken chesting the ball and shooting on the turn going wide.

St Blazey had the final chance of an equaliser 2 minutes before the end of the half. Bovey losing the ball cheaply in midfield and George Swain regaining the ball played in Coombes. The striker still with a lot to couldn't beat the onrushing Brooks. The 'keeper doing enough to put off Coombes as the ball went out for a goal kick.

Referee Hopkins blew for half time, Bovey the more happier but both sides having the equal amount of possession and chances.

In the second half St Blazey made a change, Chris West replacing Lewis Edwards. The start of play was rather quiet, both sides failing to make any clear cut chances. However, St Blazey upped their tempo and workrate which Bovey Tracey had dropped and on 56 minutes Swain almost levelled the scores but his effort could only hit the bar. Dicken again could of doubled Bovey's lead when his shot on the volley was blocked but Liam Head, winning the free ball blasted wide.

St Blazey were beginning to cause problems for Bovey, through on goal many a time but a mixture of concentration and quality lacked at times as Blazey had to cope with a difficult surface.

Lewis Plackett was released down the right hand side from Dicken's ball after good counter attacking play but Plackett couldn't find the target.

St Blazey made a sub on 65, Hoyles on for Luke Brown. The substitution couldn't have come at a better time for the Green and Blacks as Blazey levelled things on 69 minutes. A poor decision from defender Lee Pascoe to play the ball back to Brooks was too soft as Swain read the play well and curled a shot on his boot past the 'keeper. The visitors heads dropped and a minute later Ed Plackett conceded a free kick 30 yards from goal in a dangerous position. Broomfield hit the wall as Bovey looked more tense.

Swain almost doubled his scoring tally on 70 minutes. Blazey's best player on the park, found a way through the defence and from an awkward angle on the right hand side had Brooks at full stretch, a fantastic save.

10 minutes from time Bovey made two changes; Jake Welch replacing Tom Arnold and Jack Salmons on for O'Donaghue. Both young players out to hit Blazey on the break. Brooks conceded a corner in unfortunate circumstances. The hosts played a long ball from the back line which deflected off a Bovey midfielder and Brooks' attenpt to gather the ball fumbled off his gloves from an awkward bounce, over his head and out for a corner from which West was penalised for a foul in the Bovey goalkeeper.

Swain had another shot 5 minutes from time, hitting it wide.go wide as Blazey were now shooting every chance they could from all angles and distances.

Earlier in 2013 St Blazey visited Mill Marsh Park and almost won three points. Stanbridge scored a late equaliser and this time it was payback. On 90 minutes heading into stoppage time Blazey levelled the scores. Bovey gave away a needless free kick slightly right of goal, 25 yards out. Broomfield stepped up and his effort looked to be heading wide. Hitting the wall and deflecing off Coombes, Brooks was wrong footed as he could only see the ball creep into the corner, although Lewis Coombes may claim the deflection.

Bovey fell hard done at the final whistle but Manager Ryan German could not fault the workrate of his players as could Bobby Oaten of his St Blazey team, both settling for a point.

Referee: Adam Hopkins

Assistant Referees: Alan Hoon and Adam Price

Attendance: NN

Man of the Match: Sam Dicken (Bovey)

St Blazey

GK: Dave Painter

2: Adam Bance

3: Dave Barker

4: Martin Sleeman

5: Dan Bennett

6: Dan Evans

7: Lewis Edwards (West 45)

8: George Swain

9: Lewis Coombes

10: Seb Broomfield

11: Luke Brown (Hoyles 65)


12: Chris West

14: Ryan Yeomans

15: Dan Cox

16: Joe Smith

17: Jon Hoyles

Bovey Tracey

GK: Tom Brooks

2: Cliff Walters

3: Tom Arnold (Welch 80)

4: Lee Pascoe

5: Ed Plackett

6: Ryan Stanbridge

7: Lewis Plackett

8: Dejan Maric

9: Dale O'Donaghue (Salmons 82)

10: Liam Head

11: Sam Dicken


12: Jake Welch

13: Aaron Ibbetson

14: Jack Salmons

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can anybody from St Blazey confirm who number 2 was today. I have put down Bance because that was who the secretary wrote down but reading their programme inside Bobby Oaten 's notes, quote, "Adam Bance has had a difficult time with injuries this season and will miss our closing games."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

St Blazey did look really good today after watching them against Newquay and when they played Bovey back in January. How we lost 2 goals only the players know.

Have emailed Chairman Martin Richards and Bance was number 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...