Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Newquay Thread - debate on not fulfilling fixture 4th May 2013

Please post your results, goal scorers and attendances on the other results thread please or text me on 07597907549 with any information.

Thanks

Cornwall Combination League

4th May 2013

Hayle Reserves v Illogan RBL

Att -

Mullion v Ludgvan

Att -

Pendeen Rovers V-V Newquay Reserves

Penryn Athletic Reserves v Holman SC

Att -

Porthleven Reserves v St Ives Town

Att -

RNAS Culdrose v Goonhavern Athletic

Att -

St Just v Falmouth Town Reserves

Att -

Troon v Perranwell

Att -

5th May 2013

Supplementary Cup S-F (at Troon)

Wendron United v St Agnes

Att -

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Newquay 1st team play there final game of season today,and I think Pendeen have to play Newquay 2nds twice b4 end of season. With the game being cancelled today you can see what's going to happen , Pendeen will in fact have to play Newquay 1st team twice. They should lose the 3 poss points today , it's a take, Newquay have more players than most clubs.

Dirty thirty, it doesn't always follow that having many teams means that you can readily get players! The reinstatement issue, and the unwillingness of many players from the other teams to make an effort to play can be a real headache for the management. I feel sorry for Steve in the case of Newquay because he's a top man and shouldn't have to waste his talent with lack of players.

falmouth town were punished for the same offence last month. if the league are consistent which they invaribly are and rightly so in these cases it will most likely be that the game will not be replayed and Newquay deducted 3 points Pendeen awarded 3 points and Newquay fined £200.......relegation battle gets even more interesting at the bottom.

Pitty do the points get awarded to the other team? I think that should be the rule. It should also apply when teams play an unregistered, Ineligable player! I'm not sure if this happens though.

Paul

Usually when a game is cancelled due to a club not raising a side the points are awarded to the other club.. In the case of ineligible players if the team who has committed the offence won the game they are fined £20 and lose the points but they are not awarded to the other club. A contentious rule as I know we may have benefitted from a 3 point award recently which for a team in our position would obviously be like gold dust but also at the top end of the table a team that has played against a side with an ineligible player could cost them the league.......obviously everyone mid table don't really give a rats ass!!! :) :)

Has any club ever been fined less then £200? I only ask because I think the league will take into consideration Newquay's envolvment with the county youth teams which has obviously had an impact on squads etc, etc. I have a sneaking suspicion that Newquay will have a points deduction and we'll be awarded them, however I dont think they will be hit the maximum fine.

Thanks Neil, I understood that to be the case, totally wrong in my opinion, as you say it can have a serious bearing on the top and bottom of the league. My issue is that it's a rule that could be cynically exploited for a clubs gain, totally against the spirit of the game!

I'm a little shocked by all this, I try to keep the clubs website & social media updated as soon as the club let me know of any info, not a word from anyone until Smithy at PZ text me 10mins ago.

Newquay do not have 4 teams to call on, they have 2 senior and 2 junior sides, only a certain amount can interchange between the two. The SWPL are ravaged by injuries and suspensions, if they have travelled with 13 I'll be amazed. For the Combo side, it is more likely than not, being the first 'sunny' bank holiday weekend, a lot of youngsters will find the possibility of earning some money, or spending it in some cases, irresistible.

I am confined to barracks at the moment, although the good lady wife is preparing to travel to Witheridge with the usual suspects, if she reports back with anything she can gleam up in Devon, I will pass it on. I must say, that the club will not have taken the decision lightly, from the Chairman down to the ball boy, eveyone knows that preserving the Reserves senior status is vital, the possibility of a points deduction would have been considered very carefully by those at the top.

I'm a little shocked by all this, I try to keep the clubs website & social media updated as soon as the club let me know of any info, not a word from anyone until Smithy at PZ text me 10mins ago.

Newquay do not have 4 teams to call on, they have 2 senior and 2 junior sides, only a certain amount can interchange between the two. The SWPL are ravaged by injuries and suspensions, if they have travelled with 13 I'll be amazed. For the Combo side, it is more likely than not, being the first 'sunny' bank holiday weekend, a lot of youngsters will find the possibility of earning some money, or spending it in some cases, irresistible.

I am confined to barracks at the moment, although the good lady wife is preparing to travel to Witheridge with the usual suspects, if she reports back with anything she can gleam up in Devon, I will pass it on. I must say, that they club will not have taken the decision lightly, from the Chairman down to the ball boy, eveyone knows that preserving the Reserves senior status is vital, the possibility of a points deduction would have been considered very carefully by those at the top.

Surely nemesis, if 9 players were available, rightly or wrongly they should have come down, given the posistion of the team, they would have avoided the 3 points deduction and saved the club £200 as well as earning everyone's repect.

I understand the decision wouldn't have been taken lightly and this is just my opinion!

Has any club ever been fined less then £200? I only ask because I think the league will take into consideration Newquay's envolvment with the county youth teams which has obviously had an impact on squads etc, etc. I have a sneaking suspicion that Newquay will have a points deduction and we'll be awarded them, however I dont think they will be hit the maximum fine.

I'm sure the league will be consistent with previous rulings Crystal. The youth teams has no bearing as their is no county youth game today....can't say anymore or else will be sent to naughty step as obviously the cancellation and possible points deduction and fine will not now be discussed until the combo meeting in June (after the league fixtures have been completed!!!....could be an interesting meeting if Newquay safe from relegation by 2 points at the end of the season!!!)

Have to agree with you there Crystal. In my opinion withdrawing from playing a game should be punished with a lot more points deduction than just 3!

And further to Pitty's comment - with it being so tight to the season end, surely they could make a decision within a few days!

Before the season is finished,the league have to meet and deduct appropriate points,then sort the table out,and then relegation happens,not in June or July,if two teams go down,then Newquay are deducted points after this happens and it turns out they would of been in the bottom two the league will be an embarrassment to football,not only in Cornwall but in England,sort it out ASAP and ensure teams know where they stand with relegation and promotion positions!!!!!!

I am confined to barracks at the moment, although the good lady wife is preparing to travel to Witheridge with the usual suspects, if she reports back with anything she can gleam up in Devon, I will pass it on. I must say, that they club will not have taken the decision lightly, from the Chairman down to the ball boy, eveyone knows that preserving the Reserves senior status is vital, the possibility of a points deduction would have been considered very carefully by those at the top.

Surely nemesis, if 9 players were available, rightly or wrongly they should have come down, given the posistion of the team, they would have avoided the 3 points deduction and saved the club £200 as well as earning everyone's repect.

I understand the decision wouldn't have been taken lightly and this is just my opinion!

Have to agree with Crystal here, would have made sense to make the trip with 9 men to save the deduction of 3 points and the £200 fine.

The players list is so far out of date, that is my fault, I have not updated it in over a year. Having said that, Own Goal has had a great season.
Knock Newquay as a club if you want, but perhaps some players might want to look at themselves this Bank Holiday Weekend. Those that have found work, we applaud, times are hard and jobs pay the bills. However, there are some, who would rather make the most of a party weekend with mates, getting and letting down their team-mates who did want to play, the club and ultimately, themselves.
The rules regarding jumior & senior players swithching have been done to death, that would not have helped this weekend.

That list was taken from the full time site. Nathan Starkey wasn't at Newquay a year ago (Newquay signed him from us this season) so I guess that is this years list. Regardless the ability to field TWO junior team throughout the season when TWO senior sides are playing, but then not to be able to raise a second team when both junior side full of eligible players ARE NOT playing is truly incredible.

There are also players listed that went to University last August, others who are playing for other clubs and a multitude of others who are no longer at the club. regardless of that, there are no doubt many players in the Trelawny League sides, who for one reason or another are not registered as Combo players.

The end result of today is according to the Rules as I understand them, Pendeen will be awarded 3 points, Newquay deducted 3 points and a fine of upto £200. For whatever reason, the club appear to have decided that is would be unfair on the 9 players available to travel and get hammered. I am not privy to such discussions, so cannot give any reasons for the decision.

Feel free to carry on knocking, my opinion for what it is worth, is that various players have let their team-mates, club and themselves down. If you know better P6's, please enlighten us, although from your barbed comments, I'd suggest you have an axe to grind.

Nothing against Newquay, but they have to get the same punishment as Falmouth Town had when they couldn't put a team out!

Rules are Rules NEWQUAY MUST BE DEDUCTED 3 POINTS

Totally agree, if that is what the rules say, then they must be applied evenly and fairly across the board. I'm still hopeful that if we can find enough players, that we can get enough points from the games in hand to avoid any arguments come the end of the season. Guess what, both Newquay SWPL & Combo sides are due to play Tuesday, the SWPL side today had just 12 players due to injuries and suspensions.

Nemesis / Judge whoever you are, I just find it incredible that a club with 4 teams struggles to get a 1 team out of the 4 out, I definately won't be the only person reading this thread that thinks this. Godolphin put two sides out today and won 6-0 and 1-0 and both teams are having fantastic seasons. I know alot of the second team players from the G and they have had 5 on the bench pretty much all season. Perhaps Newquay as a club need to review why they need 4 teams as a load of disinterested youth players will hardly drive the club forwards. A further irony to this is that here at P6 (based in Newquay) 3 of our team signed for Falmouth to help them out when they played against Newquay earlier in the season.

Some are working etc etc..... what a load of rubbish, most people who played today also have to work, the nqy 3rd team manager was up nqy cricket club today watching cricket, surely doesnt mater who could of made the numbers up?? was speaking to 2 nqy first team players yesterday and they both told me after tuesday s game they are expected to play for the 2nds and get them out of the bottom 2,, isnt there a rule how many can play?? and if they have played for them this season already does anyone know??? i may be corrected but i think your allowed 3 maybe 4 players that have played regular 1st team ? we shall see...

An embaressment for Newquay afc but not unexpected. Why sign players just for one team?A few weeks ago people were asking why Newquay players were playing for Ludgvan.You now realise why they should have signed for both teams as this did not send out the right messages to the young promising players at the club.

Any consolation for you is your not the only ones not looking at the bigger picture,i went to Hayle today fully expecting to see a strong swpl side playing Illogan for combo survival but sadly a weakened Illogan side thrashed them 7-0. :(

We all have opinions, we can't all be right. As the previous two posts are from managers of Junior clubs, I will accept that you are both correct, and look forward to you one day managing at a big club successfully.

And once again, someone who does not understand that Dan Magee was already a Ludgvan player in the Combo, he only signed SWPL form for Newquay, what do you not understand. Magee was never a Combo player at Mount Wise.

With regards to too many sides at Newquay, I would extend that to too many clubs in an area with a limited amount of adult players. Newquay look to take on youngsters into adult football, if in their first season they realise they don't like being kicked about by some bloke in his 30's, who still stinks of the booze from Friday night, and had 5 fags during the warm up, then I'm not going to blame them for quitting. Playing with kids your own age is one thing, it is a huge step up from schools football to the adult game... but of course you took that into account before writing, didn't you ?

Your right Cornish Clough Jim was watching cricket today, after trying harder than anyone at the club to get a team out for the seconds today. Don't try and take him down because he is the last person who deserves it. The kids in the junior teams aren't at fault if the club don't ask them to sign the forms, the 3rd team would wipe the floor with the second team in friendly but is that their fault...no. It's embarrassing what's happened today and apologies to Pendeen, but have at a go at the people who are meant to be in charge, no good people like Jim or kids who are just stepping in to men's football

Waterboy wasnt a di g at jim and your probably right he was trying his best to help, but i dont believe players couldnt step up, are u telling me the club has a whole do not promote players that are doing well ?? mark u are not a big club u are just a surporter that only gives a one sided account, for the record never had less than 11 home or away FACT, TRY KEEPING YOUR BEST LOCAL PLAYERS AT THE CLUB INSTEAD OF LEAVING THEM GO TO THE G ALSO FACT

I count 14 men's teams in the Newquay area (I have also heard another Newquay based team is applying to join a league and will also play on the astro next season so that makes it 15). The question I ask is can Newquay AFC justify running 4 men's teams after this. It seem's a flawed experiment and thankless task. I agree with the Waterboy's comments about NQY 3rds. Jim puts alot of work in and they have a decent unit. One could argue a case that his third team may not be in a relegation battle right now had they played all season in the Combo.

With regards to your comment about kids. I don't think you can put a side of 10-11 16-17 year old's out. However, If you bring a few through with your old heads it can and does work fine. We had Josh Harris at 16 until Newquay took him without 7-days (not the only time Newquay have done that to us - are they above putting 7-days in, as they have made us do that every time we have looked to sign someone from them). We had Nathan Starkey start at 16 this season who surprise surprise was taken by Newquay. We have Jordan Cole at 16 in goal for us and two 17-18 year old's in midfield (both of whom Luke Wort has stated should be playing combo level).

Danny I think you are making this more of a personal attack on Newquay than it needs to be. I agree with the majority of people that it is shocking that a club with the structure of Newquay has not been able to raise aside! I find it all very embarrassing for the club in honesty! I think Newquay have to look at themselves because since making the prem I don't believe they have built on stability, they have infact weakened it! My view from a far I honestly think the G stand in a better long term position than Newquay (This is my personal opinion!)

The club will be deservedly punished and more worryingly facing relegation!

My own personal opinion is that having 4 teams has been a good experiment, although it may not have worked to the satisfaction of all concerned. There are some players that have played and made a big name for themselves going from Trelawny 5 to Combo and holding down a regular spot. Others have played when other clubs didn't want or suit them. The fact that there were 50 16 year olds coming through the youth system, two junior sides should have been sustainable. However, for reasons previously given, many have left.

Overall I would say that perhaps just 3 sides is more manageable and probably the way forward, but it not my decision to make, I am but a mere supporter. There are many, many people working at Youth level and senior management who will look at what is best for the future, of bringing the youngsters through the system into the adult game.

Back to today, I am disappointed that Newquay were forced into making the decision to cancel. Perhaps it could have been played, perhaps some of the 8/9 players available didn't fancy travelling to Pendeen to be on a hiding to nothing. My concern now is Tuesday, the SWPL and Combo sides are both due to play, why one could not have been moved to Weds, I'm not sure. What will happen if the Combo have only 8/9 again ? I'm sure these are all questions that will have been discussed by managers and club officials tonight.

Enjoy the rest of your Bank Holiday weekend chaps.