Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL RESULTS Tuesday 30th April

Well, was an interesting game to say the least and what a team Camelford have with just two first teamers. Superb. I can't wait to see how good they are next season.

The left back, centre back, and majority whole midfield were not regulars. Some of the guys up top do not play regularly as they said they played in North Devon. How many of that team that started last night, started on Saturday? Seriously can anyone say? It is strange how Camelford can get 10 players for a Saturday game (no first team then) and they all magically disappear for a midweek game to be replaced by a different team. If I have this wrong, I apologise.

I don't disagree that use of a first teamer or two, is fine, that is what a club is about and happens frequently. But bombing off other players and to bring in them in? Not match fit? Must be critical to get them 90 mins with just two games left and nothing to play for in their league. Just all so pointless. It means nothing to them.

Secondly, you don't mention where the other players came from. North Devon? 2 definitely, maybe 3 (number 16?).

Anyway, the disappointing thing is that it ruins a very good run in. It isn't fair on the other teams, St.Teath etc.

Finally, yes, it is sour grapes. To have a 13 goal swing against you due to one club fielding, nobody, than everybody is hard to take.

Can anyone name the team? Real names?

we had 3 in, one midfielder, 2 defenders, lads from north devon play in equivalent league. Not critical but hasn't played for a month and wants to get fit, cannot see a problem. Midfield had one first teamer, 3rd team lads did great job at right back. We didn't bomb anyone off, hence why we started with 9 on Sat. We are short of numbers at the mo and are looking to regroup and build again in the summer

Fair enough for your response, but I have to say it has gone from two first team players to three first team players in ten minutes, plus some lads from the North Devon League. One player from thirds started at right back. The rest must have played at Roche. My mistake, I genuinely thought you started with 10 at Roche and one went off.

Anyway, don't want to debate all day or get in a slagging match. All the best.

Makes a mockery of the league,especially with Callington going for promotion and Camelford in no danger. Sadly,nothing new though.

Surely every team wants to better their league position regardless of whether they are safe or not! Perhaps Roche are a better team/played better than Callington!

greenandwhitebarmyarmy - I think I'm right when I say that 'middle mans mate' runs the line for Callington or at least he used to.

Callington beat Roche 3-2 ( I think) fairly recently

St Teath suffered the same fate at the hands of Camelford a few weeks ago - not much can be done but if Camelford can't get an ECPL side out regularly then maybe they should consider if it is right to remain in this league ( they run 3 sides currently - clearly it's been a struggle to do so this season) - just a thought

I seem to remember there always being a large number of SWL reserve teams in the ECPL.

Liskeard, Saltash, Torpoint, Camelford, Launceston, Wadebridge, Callington, Bodmin, St Blazey, Plymouth Parkway, Tavistock, Elburton and Plymstock all have reserve teams in the league at present. That's basically half the teams in two divisions.

Are you saying that Camelford are the only club that uses their reserve side properly, with players moving between the two teams?

Jeff's Telling makes a good point, running 3 teams is a stretch for a small club like Camelford but I understand they have fulfilled every fixture this year and last Saturday was the first time they really struggled with first team call ups (it works both ways) and a long injury list.

Roche were fortunate to catch Camelford on a day when they were struggling for a side but so were Bodmin against Liverton, they drew 2-2 with them a few weeks back, it happens.

Finally, good luck to all the teams challenging for a place in the premier division but be aware that there are 8 reserve teams in that division and you could find yourselves playing against 2/3 better players every week if there are large first team squads.

Agree with some of the above. Always happens, always will. If its about one club surely it would be better to use players from within the club, not other teams in North Devon? Would've been good to pick club players from 3rds rather than bringing 1st team players down 3 tiers of the league structure and players from different clubs.

I seem to remember there always being a large number of SWL reserve teams in the ECPL.

Liskeard, Saltash, Torpoint, Camelford, Launceston, Wadebridge, Callington, Bodmin, St Blazey, Plymouth Parkway, Tavistock, Elburton and Plymstock all have reserve teams in the league at present. That's basically half the teams in two divisions.

Are you saying that Camelford are the only club that uses their reserve side properly, with players moving between the two teams?

Jeff's Telling makes a good point, running 3 teams is a stretch for a small club like Camelford but I understand they have fulfilled every fixture this year and last Saturday was the first time they really struggled with first team call ups (it works both ways) and a long injury list.

Roche were fortunate to catch Camelford on a day when they were struggling for a side but so were Bodmin against Liverton, they drew 2-2 with them a few weeks back, it happens.

Finally, good luck to all the teams challenging for a place in the premier division but be aware that there are 8 reserve teams in that division and you could find yourselves playing against 2/3 better players every week if there are large first team squads.

Agree with your most of your comments Barca! Didn't see the game between Camelford and Callington so can't comment on the match. However, I do remember when I went to watch Camelford against Truro a couple of seasons ago that they had first team players on for them. It happens, especially at this time in the season, you just have to get on with it, no point in moaning. Just to add though, some people have short memories about players being drafted in.

I've been asked to post this from Steve Blatchford, Callington's 2nd Team Manager:-

' Camelford v Callington has been played and is over now and we have now moved on. I would like to place on record that we have not and would not manipulate team selection in the way suggested. I had the opportunity to select the entire 1st team on Tuesday, none were, and in fact, one of our better players went with the First Team. With the exception of two players, the squad consisted of lads who have progressed through the Callington Colts system.

The clubs policy enabled me to travel to Camelford on Tuesday with a full squad of second team players. Selecting first team players over them would have been a massive insult to the lads who have supported me over the season.

Camelford must run their club how they see fit, and it is not my place to comment. I hope I have made some good friends in Division One and look forward to meeting you all again next season. Enjoy your summer break.'

Yes, well said Steve.

Not doubting you but seems a little strange that your first team were happy to let you have all of their players on Tuesday though. Didn't they have a derby match at Dobwalls that night that was vital to their quest for a 4th place finish and prize money in the Peninsula West Division?

As Camelford had finished their Peninsula fixtures the previous Saturday presumably they also had the option of fielding their full first team but chose not to, admirable!