Cornwall Football Forum

Evening Cup Finals

I notice that some of the various Trelawny league Finals are fixtured for a midweek evening KO. I know there are lots of fixtures to fit in, but would of thought Finals would of been on a weekend. Good to make a day of it, good for people likely to watch these games and also better monies generated at the bar. Wondered what others thought?

I think when the leagues amalgamated Darren the Mining league had gone over to weekend Sunday cup finals about 10 years previously but the FHFL had remained midweek. I agree I used to like the weekend game as you could make a bit of a day of it but with a max of 3 games at one venue on the day and 8 finals to get through which would take up 3 weekends minimum you can see why some might take place midweek although i remember (in the far distant past) if we ever got to a midweek final we always hoped for a Thursday so we would have the opportunity to carry on celebrating in Twilight which meant work was a particulary pleasant experience on friday morning!!!

The Percy Stephens must be a bit of a worry for the league as they've not even got passed the 3rd round yet and still have 3 rounds of matches to play till the cup is awarded along with a mountain of league games for the clubs still involved....how Gerald must secretly loathe the clubs which have a good junior cup run and domestic cups Illogan through no fault of their own and I'm sure they won't complain at the silverware have the potential to have 12 more games before the end of may....if you stick a weekend Sunday final in there you lose their Saturday and Monday slot for a league game......don't envy the juggling act Gerald has to do at this time of the season especially with the tropical winter we just had!!!

At Stithians we know all too well how cup runs can cause issues late in the season. We have had a rich run of form in the past few years bringing us in a number of cups. We are hoping to emulate that again this season, but now find ourselves in the unenviable position of facing Carharrack in the Percy Stephens cup on Saturday followed by our league cup semi final vs Helston on the Sunday!!! All the recent cup finals we have played in have been mid week games, and as much as we have enjoyed winning most of them, I'm sure they would have been enjoyed even more if they were on a Saturday.

Totally agree gaffer players compete all season on the weekends . Reach a final and its midweek and some cant make it through work and family commitments . As pitty said the mining league always had a couple of finals on the same day always made a good day out for players and supporters . I knew we shouldn't of merged with that fal-hel lot . Keep the finals on the weekends