Cornwall Football Forum

Written last Sunday.

Things have altered a bit.

Combo Snippets

For about the tenth time this year I have been asked who holds the record of the most goals scored, in the Combo, in a single season.

How would you work that out? When the league was first formed there were only 12 teams competing, with this figure gradually increasing to it's present 20. So originally teams played 22 league games, now they play 38.

This is where the problem lies. If Player X scores 44 goals in 22 games in 1959-60 at a strike rate of 2 per game is he a better than Player Z who scores 72 goals this season from 38 games at a strike rate of 1.9 goals per game? It is swings and roundabouts.

By the book, whoever scores the most goals is considered the record holder. I'm writing this because the people at Ludgvan are getting excited as they think Gerens James may break the record. He has scored 45 league and cup goals with 7 games to play at the time of writing. 12 of these goals have come in the last 3 games so he is on a run at the moment.

Will he break the League goal scoring record? Every time I meet Dominic Pullen he always nags me as I reckon the record is held by Neil Payne who scored 61 goals for St Just while I have Dominic on 60 playing for Perranwell. He claims 63! So to stop all banter we need to really find out the record goal scorer, so has anyone out there got the real figure?

In the league, Illogan stretch their unbeaten run to 19 games with Pendeen on a run of 9 games unbeaten. Holmans haven't won in 6 whilst Wendron have lost 4 in a row. St Ives' title challenge has fallen away with a run of 4 games without a win. Perranwell have only lost one of their last 16 and are a threat to Illogan topping the table.

Of the top six teams the maximum points they can earn (at the time or writing) if they win all their remaining games is:- Illogan 102, St Day 87, Ludgvan 86, Perranwell 88, Pendeen 85 and St Ives 84. So to be sure of the title Illogan need 89 points. With 75 points already banked they need 14 points from their last 9 games. Obviously if their title rivals drop points then the total needed will decrease.

At the other end of the table if we work the maximum available points out for the bottom six sides we get:- Porthleven 42, Troon 53, Falmouth Athletic 53, Hayle 38, Newquay 49 and Holmans 28. So Holmans looked doomed but who will finish in the other relegation place. Newquay have several games in hand as do Troon and Falmouth Athletic, so it could be either Hayle or Porthleven! Another couple of weeks should sort it out.

Games of the day on Saturday, in the West is Illogan's visit to Ludgvan with the other being struggling Newquay's visit to another team looking to find form, Wendron.

Tuesday's highlights include Hayle v Pendeen local derby and the match-up between St Agnes and Penryn.

There is a League Committee meeting tonight (Thursday) so please make sure your club is represented. The four remaining clubs in the Supplementary Cup, St Agnes, Penryn, Falmouth Athletic and Wendron should find out the semi-final draw as well this evening. More details next week.

Golden Boot Award

Gerens James (Ludgvan) – 43

Alan Thomas (Mullion) – 26

Jowan May (St Ives) – 25

Dominic Pullen (Illogan) – 25

Ashley Smeeth (Troon) – 25

Form Guide

Illogan WWWDW

Perranwell WWWWDW

Bottom

Holmans LLLLLD

Falmouth Athletic LLWLLL

After Tuesdays games this bit should now read

Of the top six teams the maximum points they can earn (at the time or writing) if they win all their remaining games is:- Illogan 102, St Day 87, Ludgvan 86, Perranwell 85, Pendeen 85 and St Ives 81. So to be sure of the title Illogan need 89 points. With 75 points already banked they need 14 points from their last 9 games. Obviously if their title rivals drop points then the total needed will decrease.

And this after last Tuesday's games

At the other end of the table if we work the maximum available points out for the bottom six sides we get:- Porthleven 39, Troon 53, Falmouth Athletic 53, Hayle 37, Newquay 46 and Holmans 25. So Holmans looked doomed but who will finish in the other relegation place. Newquay have several games in hand as do Troon and Falmouth Athletic, so it could be either Hayle or Porthleven

Hi Paul, I had 59 combo league and cup goals and 5 in the senior cup for Perranwell in season 03/04 I think? We were runners up to Penryn anyway. 64 in total but a bit gutted because I went to Australia for five weeks mid January to end of Feb and missed 6 games which cost me I think!! I know Dommo got the 60 a couple of years ago but I'm pretty 100% sure if its just combo league and cup goals then the record belongs to Neil Payne with 61. keep up the great work mate. :-)

Domo got 63 a couple of seasons back, we had a little battle going right through the season, he's a goal machine!! Ended up with him having 63 and me having 62, but that was all competitions. I'm pretty sure in the combo and combo cup he had 60 and I had 58, the others were senior cup.

Neil Payne scored 58 in the Combo League, 4 in the Combo Cup and 4 in the Senior Cup: 62 altogether, but "only" 58 in the two Jolly's-sponsored competitions.

6 of them were scored in 49 minutes against Truro in a 6-5 home win. I believe Dommo may have scored a hat-trick for the visitors on the day.

Rodney read what you've written.

58 in league

4 in Combo cup

That makes a total of 62.

Unless you meant to write he scored 54 in the league.