Cornwall Football Forum

Increased use of foul language.

The increased use of foul language by players during a game is something that should be firmly dealt with by officials. Increasingly we hear the ref and linesman being subjected to foul language abuse in football at our local level. They should not have to put up with it.

There have been many complaints over the season from offended supporters. Women and children should not have to listen to this constant diatribe. I know of a number of previously regular supporters, who no longer come along to games due to the increased levels of swearing and bad behaviour from the players. To simply say that it's a sign of the times is not good enough. It's about time the authorities did something about it.

It's a simple multi-stepsolution, but one that, for whatever reason, will never succeed totally.

1. Every Club signs up to the "Respect" campaign and self-promotes this at every home match. Posters, guidelines, standards of accepted behaviour need to be put up all round the ground and in changing rooms, spectators areas etc.

2. Every Club needs to self-discipline at home matches. Club officers and committee members need to quietly speak to any home/visitor fan and kindly ask them to tone-down their language.

3.Every Club should have a fundraiser linked to this (say, a kind of swear-box) where monies raised go to a needy charity (Bobby Moore Foundation, perhaps)

4. Every Referee should punish "Foul and Abusive Language" appropriately. This is easy, will see an unfortunate sudden increase of yellows and reds, and once squads begin to suffer I guarantee that steps 1-3 will take effect. (Referees MUST hear the language on the pitch. If they dont then can they really be fully in-charge of the game??)

5. Because of step 4, the CCFA should allow a 1 month grace-period for fines only, where they are due to step 4 action. This should only be allowed to Clubs that have taken step 1.

Finally, If Clubs still fail to control their official/officers/players/supporters, then they should be punished by a Club-fine following, say, 3 referees-reports showing this.

....................................or, perhaps everyone should just try behaving like grown-ups and get on with playing a game on a Saturday, enjoying the tussle and banter, and applauding the efforts of both sides...and officials.

Just my thoughts!

countyman, an experienced referee not only has to hear the words he also needs to see those words being spoken so he can positively identify the player involved, the inexperienced referee may hear the words turn round and send off the nearest player whom he thought made the comments and with that send off the wrong player, I have seen this done. I also very recently seen a player use foul ,abusive and offensive language directly at the referee and that referee took no action, I do not need to put my thought on that here.

deen rover - yes sir, sadly you are right.

Not sure that we are the worst team for it, but, I do believe that the officials have the answer in their hands.

If a player is booked for bad language, it could be disastrous for clubs seing players sent off for a second yellow or even a straight red card. Perhaps only then will all those with influence in the game, officials, coaching staff etc, get the game cleaned up.

We shouldn't have to tolerate standing on the touchline and witnessing foul and abusive language and behaviour.

Self control and discipline among players is what is needed. Sadly it's lacking in many.

countryman - thank you, some good positive ideas there.

Goldeneye - yes sir you are right. Something must be done by all concerned with the administration of the game.

B Manning - if a first booking were to be for foul language, it must surely make a player think before he throws caution to the wind.

We all know what really foul language is - we're not talking about a player who might say, 'bloody hell ref' at a decission he doesn't agree with.

We are talking about four letter words, spoken, shouted or spat out, at other players or officials and sometimes spectators too, along with temper tantrums of various kinds. Yes, we see and hear it all.

It won't be easy, but if the administrators back the refs in a determination to clean the game up, who knows .. we have to try something.

Apathy at the FA will achieve nothing of course.

S Abbo, if tonight I send off all who swear I will have to abandon the game, I can guarantee my name will be mud on this forum.

That has to be one of the most awful answers from an official, what does that say to the players,the assessors and the spectators about your intentions for a game?? You need to grow a pair,make a decision according to the laws of the game and stick by it..! Not shy away from them through fear of what people may think of you!!! This is a prime example of why officiating will never be as consistent as it should and needs to be,lord give us mercy.

Its frustrating when a ref says at the start of the game 'i wont tolerate bad language' then allows a couple of mouthpieces to swear and curse directly at himself and the assistant referees all game! If a card was issued for swearing then maybe it would work, as for abandoning games, surely the team with the most sent off loses! Maybe a sinbin could be introduced?

Fraid to say that there are a lot of players who can't string a sentence together without using the f word!

Afraid to say you're absolutely right Dave! I know it often gets mentioned on here that we could possibly take lessons in certain behaviours (not all, I hasten to add) from rugby but how about this scenario:

Easter "friendly" rugby match against a touring side. Player gets sin-binned and, on his way to the touchline, tells the ref to **** off. Yellow card immediately turned into red card - fair enough.

Club immediately suspend player for 12 weeks in the hope of pacifying Cornwall RFU. No chance, RFU suspend the player for 20 weeks - he is eligible to play again on Boxing Day! I'm not suggesting that 20 weeks is an appropriate punishment in football but it clearly demonstrates how seriously the authorities take abuse of referees at a time when both sports are short of match officials.

Mind you, I don't think it helps when you watch MotD or Sky Sports and see the 'top' players continuously harranging the ref and 'effing and jeffing' at everyone in sight. Sort it out at the top and it will filter down. Make it clear that foul language will not be tolerated and, if that results in games finishing with 9 v 9 that's not the refs fault. It would soon stop.

Starts at the top I'm afraid how many times have u seen a close up of wayne rooney swearing and calling refs every name under the sun and also the things u hear a crowd chant on sky sports u will never stop it part of the game I'm afraid gentlemens game played and supported by hooligans!

Keith B, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but Foul ,Abusive and Offensive language is not a booking it`s a straight red, in reality I try to live in the real world and know only too well that we will never stop foul language as coady9 states you see and hear it all the time especially on MOTD etc. also for some people it is all part of their vocabulary, they do not even know they are using it. Also at the start of a game you will never hear me say what I will and will not tolerate, in my opinion it`s a bad idea to take that action and will never recommend a referee to do that. To pointers, how many games have you officiated on ? my tally is over 2000.

Keith B, I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but Foul ,Abusive and Offensive language is not a booking it`s a straight red, in reality I try to live in the real world and know only too well that we will never stop foul language as coady9 states you see and hear it all the time especially on MOTD etc. also for some people it is all part of their vocabulary, they do not even know they are using it. Also at the start of a game you will never hear me say what I will and will not tolerate, in my opinion it`s a bad idea to take that action and will never recommend a referee to do that. To pointers, how many games have you officiated on ? my tally is over 2000.

Well said to a stupid post.

Me personally if someone swears out of frustration I tell them ''Language''! and I have cautioned players for 'Persistance' swearing out of frustration. Thats me doing something rathere than nothing. Some words are totally unacceptable such as the 'C' word which in my opinion my red card is out before the sound of the 'T' is made.

I agree that the ''Top'' should sort out the language and give us a chance down ere. So many times I have seen on TV the assistant ref be called the 'C' word and not even a word from the ref! This is their/our place of work and if someone you worked with called you that then they would get the sack.

Foul language is whether you like it or not more commonplace in all walks of life than even say 10 years ago. The examples are as said before set at the top levels.

I ( and many others on here ) have stated before how foul and / or abusive language seems to be more acceptable the higher the standard you play at.

As someone who only ever got as high as Duchy / P & D / ECPL it seemed back then that any swearing - towards the ref - was immediately punished ( most times a booking, occasionally sending off ) Back then it seemed that refs would allow you the odd cuss when you'd missed by yards or given away a penalty etc

I was always amazed when watching SWPL matches how much abuse that was directed straight to / at the ref went unpunished.

I don't feel that this has changed in the thirty odd years since

I don't mean to pick on Bodmin but it's where I've watched more games than anywhere else but the abuse and the content of it directed towards refs and linesman is unbelievable

What always strikes me is not that the players / coaches do it as it's almost commonplace at that level - It's why on earth would match officials want to put themselves through that every Saturday

i remember watching a snr cup match at polperro against illogan a couple of years back, and there was alot of choice words said, by both players and supporters. but polperro had a player sent off-not for swearing and the ref, but when the ref was speaking to him about a challenge, the player bent down to adjust his shin pad and pull his sock up and was shown a red card. jiust becuase he wouldnt stand straight when the ref was speaking to him, or should i say shouting at him to shut up and listen. again it comes down to give respect gain respect. point im making is a player was sent off for touching his sock, yet the illogan goalkeeper was shouting abuse/ swearing and nothing was done.

swearing on the pitch is wrong, but then it comes down to who takes offence by certain words. some words said in this day, people dont take offence to. i have mates that call me a c**t all the time, but it doesnt bother me, f*ck is another, its accepted in todays world. im not saying i agree with that or its right or wrong, but it depends on the company present when its used. i remember playing football when i was 13/14 and shouted dam when i messed up, i was given a grilling by my manager as he was religious, a older gent, and took offence to it. when i was a kid, for someone to say 'bloody hell' was seen as swearing, but in todays times, this is a common used phrase that alot of people dont take offence to.

need to look at the aggression or the way the words are said, not the actual words, but it all comes down to personal opinion.

It’s all about quality not quantity B Manning, I’m sure you’ve heard this one before……!! An impressive number…..i can only apologise to you that I haven’t highlighted this earlier, it could of saved some of the players legs long before now! Again I’ll reiterate, you matter how many games you have under your belt, you need to start implementing the laws of the game week in and week out, no matter what the decision is, abide by the laws of the game, if every official does this instead of turning a blind eye every now and then which what you basically said you’d do, we would have a much better standard of refereeing in the long run, a few more bans and moaning players but they will learn!!!!!!!

pointers, please could you post your experience in officiating/playing etc, if I feel i could well listen to your advice I may well do that, but until I know your vast knowledge and experience i feel it may be advisory to carry on using the experience that I have gained. Also please let me know who you may play for and at the first chance I will make myself known to you.

Went to a Southern League match on Tuesday, where I doubt that there was ever a thirty second patch without swearing. It doesn't bother me in the least. Crowd exceeded the Combo League average only by about 15.

Sorry to disagree with my fellow St Just supporter Keith, but there are so many issues that are more important than swearing. I'm sure that in your comments about women and children you are absolutely sincere, but to many the implied sexism of your distinction in verbal standards would be offensively discriminatory.

Working as I do with young people of both sexes, I have the impression that swearing is widely practised by males and females. My own daughters have grown up in an environment in which they have never been sheltered from any kind of language. This has not harmed their articulacy in the slightest. Both are obtaining degrees in linguistics and languages and, if they wish, can swear in several different tongues, though they seldom do.

I agree with sending off players for the use of the four letter word begiunning with C, but only because it is sexist and demeaning to women to imply that their anatomy is in itself a pejorative term. I would also send them off for racist, disablist or homophobic behaviour.

Otherwise, let oaths flourish, releasing tension harmlessly .

There are worse things in the world. Wasting public money on burying the Queen of Greed, destroying healthcare and creatng a country fit only for the wealthiest 10 per cent is far more serious. The FA is a cabal of self-made capitalists who care for none but themselves. I most earnestly pray that the God of the Cornish will smite them with exceeding wrath as they count the ill-gotten swearbox money swinged by the craven lickspittles who finance their freebies in Jersey

It's a wonder that the unemployed and underpaid victims of this system merely channel their reasonable resentments by swearing and kicking each other out in a field. I can never understand why their violence is not more productively organised and aimed. :yahoo:

Disappointed with your last posting Rodney. You have of course touched upon many subjects, some interrelated, some maybe not. Perhaps one day we might discuss these subjects again.

PS - when I was growing up, I was taught to respect ladies as the gentle genre. To stand and give your seat to a lady on the bus, to open doors for them and generally to revere them. Sadly, today I am frequently scorned for this.

Take care my friend. Come on you Tinners !

Interesting topic, I was watching football at work this morning. A offside decision was given by the official linesman. Away team player turned to linesman called him "a cheating b******!", linesman called the match official over and repeated what he said. Referee gave straight red card.

Away team captain then goes over to referee and said the player was only voicing his opinion, which made me laugh. Referee explained the laws of the game state foul and abusive language is a red card offence.

The lad will now have to explain his actions in front of his boss and will be docked wages to pay for the fine. No messing.

I was at the Torpoint V Nillbrook game on Wednesday .One of the Torpoint players reacted to a tackle on one of his team mates by shouting at the offender You c**t at a volume heard by everybody on the Rame peninsula except the referee who called him over but never even give him a yellow card..Then in the second half he books a Millbrook player for time wasting when they are 3-0 down .No wonder players get uptight with referees when they are so erratic.