Cornwall Football Forum

Premier Sixes 8 - 2 Altarnun Reserves

Premier Sixes and Altarnun reserves went head to head in the Duchy League's first ever league game to be held on an astro turf pitch. The Astro park looked in splendid condition as the results of much time, money and effort finally paid off for the big season opener. Each corner of the ground had a 6 meter pole attached to the fencing with 3x4 meter long flags in the P6 colors flying as we look to bring something extra to Duchy league matches this season. The next step for our next home game will be to have a sound system on standby to play out individual player's tunes each time they score (in the case of Tom Currah we could be hearing 'I predict a riot' alot).

To the match

Altarnun turned up in plenty of time for the game with a pretty big squad, first impressions were 'how did these guys lose 7-0 to St Austell last week', I spoke briefly to their manager Ian before the game to gauge their impressions of the playing surface, Ian said his boys were really looking forward to the run out on it. Colin Adkins from the Duchy League also came down to watch the game to see for himself how a game played out. (Surely if it's good enough for Spartak Moscow vs Celtis in the Champions League and Russia vs Engand in the upcoming European Championship qualifiers then the same surface shouldn't be a problem at Duchy 5).

The week leading upto the match had been pretty tough trying to select a squad as we could only name a squad of 16 and all but 2 of the 25+ players we have signed on were available. After breaking a few hearts we had reduce it to 16 and from that picked the 11 to start P6's first ever competitive game.

P6 kicked off only their third ever match as a team having played a couple of freindly's preseason and we looked a bit disjointed in the first 10 minutes. We soon found our feet and looked the comfier of the two teams as the midfield unit started to string passes together. We went into the break 4-0 up with both Dan Parsonage and Martyn Probert scoring a couple each, Probert infact could have had 5 dragging a few one on ones wide with just the keeper to beat. Both these players had done enough and both made way at the break for Neil Currah and Tom Cousins. The double substitution cam back to haunt us as Cousins lost the man he was picking up at a corner as Altarnun scored shortly after the restart, we then lost the shape in the middle, so Sam Leamy was taken off and replaced by Richard Fevatta who stepped into the fullbacks role while sweeper Dan Code pushed into the iddle to try and shore things up. This had the opposite effect as we became more exposed at the back as Altarnun again scored as the back four were at sixes and sevens, Altarnun then had a decent shout for a penalty waved away as they threatened a great comeback.

It got worse for P6 when the new sweeper Tony **** injured himself during Altarnuns second goal, with all the available substitutions used another tactical rejig saw **** thrown up front, with Neil Currah reverting to the middle and Dan Code going back to sweeper. The impact could not have been more immediate as Tom Currahs who had been threatening to score all afternoon unleashed himself on the Altarnun defence hammering home 4 within a 20 minute period to put the game out of sight.

The final whistle brought to an end a very up and down first league game, but it is points in the bag and after 3 or 4 more games together when we have a more settled squad I think we will perform much better.

Full credit to the Altarnun guys for their part in a very entertaining game, which at one point almost saw them salvage something from nothing and we wish Ian and his boys all the best for the rest of the season.

We go to Stoke Climsland next Saturday knowing absolutley nothing about our opponents and look forward to another entertaining game as we look to keep the pressure on the Snozzel boys in what may well be a two way race for ther title.

Team

James Ringrose: Nathan Prentice , Dan Code, Tony ****, Jamie Caple: Sam Leamy, Steve Sparkes ©, Darren Barnes, Dan Parsonage (2 goals): Tom Currah (4 goals), Martyn Probert (2 goals)

Subs: Neil Currah (for Martyn Probert 45 min), Tom Cousins (for Dan Parsonage 45 min), Richard Fevatta (for Sam Leamy 55min)

I did feel a bit for the Altarnun guys as our strike force and midfield are far too strong for this league with most of the guys either having played senior football or should be playing senior football.

They did impress me though. They said they had been stitched up with the fixtures having to play you guys last week and then us, as they should never be rooted to the bottom of the table. I personally thought they were a better team than Dynamo St Dennis and if the rest of the division with the exception of you guys is as weak as we have been told (as we don't know what the rest of the teams are like and have to go on what others from the division tell us) then should should finish behind Snozzel and P6 at the end of the season.

I'll post some of the photo's we took of the match later on

Guest Peppermint

I presume that the keeper James Ringrose is one and the same person who played almost every game for Newquay Reserves in the Combination League last season. Without being disrespectful this seems a hell of a step down to the league he is playing in this season.

Good luck to him and your team this season.

Yes it is the same guy. He is the joint manager with myself. Pete Downton who also played for Newquay combo last season also signed up last night, which is a testament to what we are about and want to achieve this season. It is a massive step down for alot of the players, but this is the beginning of a great adventure and all the guys are keen to be a part of it.

Guest Peppermint

As stated in my previous post the best of luck to you for the season. It is a shame in some ways as I think Pete Downton could have done a great job for Newquay in midfield but the best of luck to him because he has always given 100% in the Peppermints cause.