Cornwall Football Forum

Friday night football

Holmans entertain St Ives on Friday night at Blaythorne 6:30ko

This is Holmans last home match of the season and probably the last home fixture in the Jollys Combination League barring any acts of god improving our results for the remaining 5 away games left against

St day

Goonhavern

Penryn

Troon

St ives

Funny that Neil as this is was I wrote for this week's Combo Snippets

Combo Snippets

18th April 2013

Why not pop along to Blaythorne tomorrow evening (Friday) to watch, what could possibly be Holmans last Combo home game for a while, when St Ives are the visitors. At the time of writing, they are 11 points from safety with 7 games to play and needing to score a lot of goals, they are looking like a sure bet for a drop down into the Trelawny League. Last season they finished second bottom and a vote for by the other league clubs gave them a reprieve from relegation.

This is their second spell in the league having been members for five seasons from 83/84 to .87/88. Mind you those years were not very successful as they finished in the bottom two places each season. In their current stint, they have spent nine seasons as a league club but again have suffered, only finishing in the top half of the table twice. They have also reached the Supplementary Cup final twice but lost both.

One of the Trelawny teams hoping to take their place is Threemilestone who suffered a set back during the week as they were docked four points by their league for fielding an ineligible player in a couple of matches. This now puts them 9 points off a promotion spot with 2 games in hand. The other side seeking promotion are Redruth United who are lying second in the Trelawny with a cushion of 11 points with 9 games to play.

Last weekends top of the table clash between Ludgvan and Illogan was cancelled and has been rescheduled for next weekend. Meanwhile The Hurlers welcome St Day to Fairfield this Saturday which could potentially see them attract their largest gate of the season. A win for Ludgvan will almost give the title to Illogan, whilst the reverse result will kill off Ludgvan's chance of silverware this year apart from Gerens James winning the Golden Boot Award.

A quick reminder to clubs that this months Combo Committee meeting is next Thursday. Please send a representative as it's a bit pointless not being there and being fined a tenner.

The date for the Evely Cup final will be Sunday 12th May at Penryn and will be between Combo Cup winners St Day and East Cornwall Cup winners, Polperro who defeated Torpoint 1-0 in their final. More details as I get them.

Do you fancy having a go managing a Combo club? After 17 years in charge at Pendeen, Andre Peters is stepping down at the end of the season and so the club are on the look out for another first-team manager. If you are interested please contact, club secretary Crystal Hood on 07415 799186 or via email at pendeenroversafc@yahoo.co.uk

ctb when we(holmans) were in the league during the first spell,i seem to remember that in i think it was our first season we were 4th at christmas.and then the wheels fell off.our problem back then was the old boys network.we kept applying and when we did get in we were an ageing team and suffered with lack of quality replacements.

Funny that Neil as this is was I wrote for this week's Combo Snippets

Combo Snippets

18th April 2013

Why not pop along to Blaythorne tomorrow evening (Friday) to watch, what could possibly be Holmans last Combo home game for a while, when St Ives are the visitors. At the time of writing, they are 11 points from safety with 7 games to play and needing to score a lot of goals, they are looking like a sure bet for a drop down into the Trelawny League. Last season they finished second bottom and a vote for by the other league clubs gave them a reprieve from relegation.

This is their second spell in the league having been members for five seasons from 83/84 to .87/88. Mind you those years were not very successful as they finished in the bottom two places each season. In their current stint, they have spent nine seasons as a league club but again have suffered, only finishing in the top half of the table twice. They have also reached the Supplementary Cup final twice but lost both.

One of the Trelawny teams hoping to take their place is Threemilestone who suffered a set back during the week as they were docked four points by their league for fielding an ineligible player in a couple of matches. This now puts them 9 points off a promotion spot with 2 games in hand. The other side seeking promotion are Redruth United who are lying second in the Trelawny with a cushion of 11 points with 9 games to play.

Last weekends top of the table clash between Ludgvan and Illogan was cancelled and has been rescheduled for next weekend. Meanwhile The Hurlers welcome St Day to Fairfield this Saturday which could potentially see them attract their largest gate of the season. A win for Ludgvan will almost give the title to Illogan, whilst the reverse result will kill off Ludgvan's chance of silverware this year apart from Gerens James winning the Golden Boot Award.

A quick reminder to clubs that this months Combo Committee meeting is next Thursday. Please send a representative as it's a bit pointless not being there and being fined a tenner.

The date for the Evely Cup final will be Sunday 12th May at Penryn and will be between Combo Cup winners St Day and East Cornwall Cup winners, Polperro who defeated Torpoint 1-0 in their final. More details as I get them.

Do you fancy having a go managing a Combo club? After 17 years in charge at Pendeen, Andre Peters is stepping down at the end of the season and so the club are on the look out for another first-team manager. If you are interested please contact, club secretary Crystal Hood on 07415 799186 or via email at pendeenroversafc@yahoo.co.uk

Paul thanks for the 'snippet' but have to correct you on a couple of things in the 9 years in the league we had a highest place finish of 4th which was not a bad effort and the top 5 in our inaugural season in 2005 so I don't think we've been the 'lowly' holmans side that the paper seems to like to portray us as during our 9 year membership although admittedly the last three seasons have been a bit of a struggle. We were successful in winning silverware in one of our supp cup finals as we won the 2006 final against Ludgvan 3-1 and lost the 2010 final against Falmouth Town.

It's a shame relegation is on the cards as i know that a lot of major hard work and effort by past players and club officials to get into the league in 2004 but we just havent been good enough! occasionally weve been competitive against sides with some enjoyable close games and a couple of wins however in hindsight the appeal to stay in last year just didn't work out as well as we hoped and the players we had our eye on to come into the club to attempt to improve our league position sadly didn't materialise which therefore meant the main basis of the appeal to remain in the league was ultimatley flawed. Fair play to this years players who have stuck at it and whilst we haven't set the world alight occasionally we have managed to pull off some gutsy performances probably most memorably a cracking tie on Boxing Day against Illogan however consistency is a key word for success and that has been a fundamental problem.

From a personal point of view I think a return to the Trelawny will be a good thing and a chance to regroup although under no illusions that the junior league is very competitive and will be a tough task ahead but i hope that as a club Holmans can keep this years playing squad with a few additions in some key areas on the pitch and off it like any other local club needs some more commited and devoted committee members to try and get the old place back to the atmosphere on and off the pitch that made the place so enjoyable in the late 90's early noughties.

I will be logging onto cornish soccer regularly from wherever I may be to monitor how we will be getting on and no longer waiting to recieve a 3 week old West Briton in the post - isn't modern technology marvellous :-)

ctb when we(holmans) were in the league during the first spell,i seem to remember that in i think it was our first season we were 4th at christmas.and then the wheels fell off.our problem back then was the old boys network.we kept applying and when we did get in we were an ageing team and suffered with lack of quality replacements.

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/83holman.html

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/84holmans.html

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/85holmans.html

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/86holman.html

http://www.cornwallcomboleague.co.uk/87holman.html