Cornwall Football Forum

TAKING PROMOTION OR NOT !

Would be interesting to hear the opinions of Buckland fans ( Karen And Mark used to hang around on here,not sure if they still log in ) on the comparative playing standards,standards of facilities,effect on home attendances of losing local fixtures,effects of the extra travelling etc,etc .

I used to follow Liskeard in the eighties, and there was a real sense of pride and achievement in the club playing at the highest possible level . Also made the Cornwall Senior Cup a tough competition as all the South Western League clubs were really up for a crack at Liskeard and Saltash . The Good Friday and Boxing Day derbies between us were also much anticipated fixtures locally .

Very different times financially though as both clubs were well backed by local businesses and had a lot more revenue coming through the clubhouses and other sidelines (Liskeard had a full time commercial manager) . By the early nineties though the sheer cost of the travelling, the recession of the time dwindling revenues coupled with spectator numbers and local interest tailing off as the club was no longer challenging for honours ,made it unsustainable for both the Cornish clubs to compete at Western League level ( South Western League clubs were also better able to attract the quality players through having greater player budgets as a result of much lesser travel overheads . Can remember Blazey picking off Steve Nute,Dave Jones and Bradley Swiggs from Liskeard one season and being amazed at the reputed offers on the table) .

You could argue that (with the exception of a few seasons for each) neither Liskeard or Saltash has ever really fully recovered their position at the forefront of local football since dropping out of the Western League .In common with just about every other club in this area ,numbers through the gate and in the clubhouse have been on a downward trend for years

I do believe that a club should always be looking forward and playing the best level that it possibly can .But all the factors around the argument are extremely emotive and complex ,with many things to consider ( and certainly would not be resolved on this forum) . I am certainly glad that it is not one I have to take

Get off Beaker's back everybody . Bodmin Town have made an application to join the Western League..... in 1974 .It's obviously been lost down the back of the filing cabinet .

( Just been thumbing through the excellent, " A View From The Terrace - One Hundred Years Of The Western Football League").

Bodmin cannot go up even if they win the SWPL every year til the end of the world, the ground is just not upto standard, you cannot have any Tom, Richard or Harriet wandering across the park. Like it or not, Bodmin have very little support and financially, it makes no sense for such a small club to even think of venturing too far up the M5 every other week.

I spoke with someone from Buckland not that long ago, they said they had to make the move up, just to find out what it was like at a higher level. Crowds are pretty much the same but the football is of a much higher standard overall. And of course, should they come back down, at least they can say they tried. Parkway have applied to go up, if they finish top 2, they have the option of taking promotion and good luck to them.

To be honest i would love to see bodmin go up to the next level, but lets be honest, whats the point?

I mean..

1. More travel cost
  2. Club would lose money
  3. Players would leave due to the travel distance to away games
  4. Standard of football pretty much the same as Peninsula league.
  5. No Local derbys

Just my thoughts

At present, it would not make any sense Bodmin looking to take promotion as Cornwall Council (not Bodmin Town Council) want to build a new link road through the carpark and Clubhouse.I get the feeling certain Town Councillors are for this as it has been mentioned that they would find an alternative site for the Football Club.Sainsburys have already (18 months ago) contacted the Council re building on the land that is currently the two football pitches.It was turned down at the time but with the Council looking to sell Public Buildings to raise money you have to be concerned.The Public Rooms in Bodmin is the first they are looking to get rid of and the old gymnasium at Walker Lines is being offered to the local Boxing Club,although they agreed a price for the building which was accepted by the Club it seems they have now put extra clauses in which would give them a share in any profit should the Club ever re-sell the building in the future.

I cannot see Bodmin Town Council providing the Football Club with a ground up to the standard of CSWL let alone Western League standard. At the moment this is only at the Planning stage and hundreds of people turned out in force last week to protest about losing the towns "Green Areas", so nothing is definate.Bodmin Town F.C. cannot really do any forward planning until the proposal is voted on by the Town Council.

I have no problem with the z's. However , I find your stats boring.

If it offends you , I will stop putting them on your post's.

Thats your opinion if you find the stats boring no problem, but the zzz don't affend me but they do look stupid and annoying for other forum users. The stat posts aren't necessarily for you but for managers who use this forum like robbie stephens of falmouth who would be able to see how a team does depending if they are home or away, their records in 2013 etc something the League site doesn't produce so I do on the forum.

It's up to the club. You must respect the club's decision. Players should never have a say in how a club is run. If players want to play higher they can always go to Truro or Bideford! These clubs are always happy to take good players!

Long ago, I wanted to play higher so I left Liskeard and played for Weston Super Mare ...briefly. Leave Plymouth at 8am to get to Weston for 10am... travel 4hrs for away games...came home near midnight! All my mates always had a good Sat night. I didn't. I was well paid tho!

If any club committee look at their books, league rules (pitch, facilities...separate shower for female referee etc...and put together a plan...they will get a manager (maybe playing expenses...can't kid ourselves here!), the right players with the right attitude.....they will take promotion as part of the plan. Nothing to do with cost of travelling etc. If the club wants a higher level of football...the club will move on (like Buckland did!)

Remember...there are some good League 2 clubs who are quite happy to stay in League 2 once the books are balanced, a good cup run and all ticking over with a good youth system...sell a few players etc etc.

zz

Its a bit of a farce Bodmin not taking the option of promotion maybe they just like collecting trophies like they will do again next year because no one can really match there standards but watch out next year when they will be playing the mighty Godolphin as well as Newquay should be good .On another point Bodmin will loose a lot of money this summer because there will be no money making pre season friendly against a Neil Warnock side unless he takes over a club soon wish he was back at Plymouth John Sheridan has done well but if Warnock was there for next season Argyle will be pushing for promotion that is if they stay up this season .

The standard of the top teams in the Western league is very similar to the top 3/4 in the Peninsula, the real difference is with the rest of the teams, with the exception of Barnstaple, a club with well documented issues which have had an adverse effect on their ability field a competitive team week on week, every side will give you a stiff challenge and if you are below par in personnel or attitude or both you will lose. This is not the case in the Penisula. The facilities of most Western League clubs are in need of a severe facelift with a few noteable exceptions, such as Hallen, Bristol Manor Farm, Willand and Buckland, the rest remind me of going to Falmouth, used to be good 30 years ago, nothing much has changed, other than floodlights, since at many clubs.

I think the travelling can be an issue, particularly if you are not in the running for league honours, a midweek trip to Bath can be a bit of a pain, but you know that when you join. The issue of gates is linked to the success, or otherwise, of a team people will make the effort to go and watch if you are winning, maybe less keen if you aren't, but this is reflected in all standards of football I believe.

The lack of local derby games is a problem, Buckland v Willand for example, but this can be solved if teams in the Peninsula take promotion, when the qualify, within a fairly short period of time more local games will exist, and the geographical bias of the league will alter to give a more Western balance than the present makeup of the league.

The challenge of new places and teams to visit, not going with preconceived ideas of the result even before kick off, which does happen in the Penisula, meeting new people, all these things are an exciting and different proposition for any club considering making a leap of faith, of course finance is a major factor and nobody knows how a club works unless you are on the inside, not just on here speculating, A club cannot really be faulted for not taking promotion, but the real issue in my opinion is that clubs like Bodmin who are serial winners, and well done to them for their success, and others who may finish top two and not take promotion they become a cork in other peoples bottle and could be creating a log jam. If clubs are content to stay were they are why enter a league within the pyramid?

I have not had a go about other clubs not taking promotion ?

I have respect for any club taking promotion and giving it a go . If Parkway come second and go up , best to luck to them.

It is still down to each club comittee to make the decision which is best for their club.

Here's a thought for you : What about if a club does not take promotion , they do not get the full monatary award for winning the league ?

Godolphin and promotion? Do their facilities make the grade? How can you compare Godolphin's facilities with Newquay's or those of Saltash to name just two. The people in charge at Godolphin are some of the best but I'm sorry to have to ask but, do the facilities match up? I suppose the league will give time to get things in order though!

I have not had a go about other clubs not taking promotion ?

I have respect for any club taking promotion and giving it a go . If Parkway come second and go up , best to luck to them.

It is still down to each club comittee to make the decision which is best for their club.

Here's a thought for you : What about if a club does not take promotion , they do not get the full monatary award for winning the league ?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ :)

Good job you started this Beaker, I am sure that any of the clubs in the three divisions when discussing this, will take into account the views of the 13 on this forum :yahoo: Maybe these are views they have never heard before :thumbsup: or perhaps they have spoken to some of the 47,000 who have attended matches this season, or some of those 1700 on average who attend each Saturday :yahoo:Never heard it mentioned before about the monetory award being cancelled as an idea :wacko: Maybe you should have gone to specsavers and bought some perspective spectacles :c: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I,m surprised that none of you have picked up on the point that if other teams within the league wish to progress up the leagues it's a very high possibility that Bodmin would stop them from doing so!

In division 1 West everyone is aware of Helston trying to move forward, However if Wadebridge + Godolphin have the same reasons not to be promoted as Bodmin, Helston will be held back.

Maybe relegation should be given, rather than promotion to those who don,t want to take the opportunity to move up?

Not sure what your problem is homewaters ?

If you do not like the topic don't read it . :yahoo:

Good job you started this Beaker, I am sure that any of the clubs in the three divisions when discussing this, will take into account the views of the 13 on this forum :yahoo: Maybe these are views they have never heard before :thumbsup: or perhaps they have spoken to some of the 47,000 who have attended matches this season, or some of those 1700 on average who attend each Saturday :yahoo:Never heard it mentioned before about the monetory award being cancelled as an idea :wacko: Maybe you should have gone to specsavers and bought some perspective spectacles :c: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Guest cescfab_4

Speaking with the old man (Richard Gibbons) about this topic a few weeks ago he agreed that there simply isn't the money for club to go up and survive. He assured me that back when he was playing in the Western League that the attendances were much higher than they are nowadays. My question is, how come some SW League teams still seem to over pay their players? Are they worth it with the limited revenue coming in? Could the league as a whole not reduce the wage bill and slowly improve facilities?

I,m surprised that none of you have picked up on the point that if other teams within the league wish to progress up the leagues it's a very high possibility that Bodmin would stop them from doing so!

In division 1 West everyone is aware of Helston trying to move forward, However if Wadebridge + Godolphin have the same reasons not to be promoted as Bodmin, Helston will be held back.

Maybe relegation should be given, rather than promotion to those who don,t want to take the opportunity to move up?

You have a very point here and to be very honest, I have never looked at it in this way before.

Therefore, "the pyramid" is nothing but a total joke.

Not that it will ever happen, but if Cardiff City were to decide against getting promoted to the Barclays Premier League, what would happen?

Beaker good topic zzzzz only kidding; Bodmin along with other clubs who have rejected promotion may not have the financial support or ground regs in accordance; The FA have a responsibility to support clubs as last post states and clubs/county FA's need to lobby concerns to FA. In regards to forfeiting winnings is concerned, think this would be morally wrong. Winners deserve the accolade and the rewards given as agreed at the start of the season. Biodmin, Im sure, would take promotion if the financial infrastructure and monitoring was provided.

Speaking with the old man (Richard Gibbons) about this topic a few weeks ago he agreed that there simply isn't the money for club to go up and survive. He assured me that back when he was playing in the Western League that the attendances were much higher than they are nowadays. My question is, how come some SW League teams still seem to over pay their players? Are they worth it with the limited revenue coming in? Could the league as a whole not reduce the wage bill and slowly improve facilities?

Richard Gibbons - now that was what I call a central defender ,would clear man or ball with the same commitment .

Always looked intimidating the way he would pop his gum shield in his mouth before challenging for a high ball . .

Barnstaple Town (relegated) are likely to join the Western League Div.1

They could also choose the Peninsula League Prem.

Which league will give them the better chance for a quick return to Western League Premier ??

Without a doubt the Peninsular Prem is of a much higher standard than Western League 1. Assume Barnstaple would select this route back to the Prem?

Richard Gibbons - now that was what I call a central defender ,would clear man or ball with the same commitment .

Always looked intimidating the way he would pop his gum shield in his mouth before challenging for a high ball . .

Gum shield - yer havin a larf....get out of it. LOL

Always looked intimidating the way he would pop his gum shield in his mouth before challenging for a high ball . . Gum shield - yer havin a larf....get out of it. LOL

Think you'll find there are a few PL players wearing gum shields now. You only get one set of gnashers......

It has been mentioned in some non league circles that clubs who do not take promotion forfeit their entry into the FA Vase, clubs lower in the pyramid their entry into the county cups.

That suggestion was started to stop strong northern clubs turning down promotion to get an easier road back to Wembley.

I would hope Parkway take promotion for reasons I have previously stated . I am merely a supporter of the club though , and not involved with the administration and running of it, so I have no informed knowledge of the inner workings and decision making of Plymouth Parkway . The people who will make this decision at the end of the season will be the officers of the club ,these are the people who have all the facts surrounding the club's current position,and will decide accordingly .

I am sure that whatever they decide will be in the best long term interest of the club .The gossip and speculation can be left to the idiots like Beaker

The battle for second place between us an Elburton Villa is making it an interesting end to the season though .

Just to ask Bald one / way of park if Parkway are taking promotion or not, logic would bet against it despite Hilson stating he is looking to go up. Would this mean Liskeard are safe if parkway dont take promotion ?. I think Beakers earlier thread touched on this - Beaker what do you know about this ? zzzzz !