Cornwall Football Forum

Results Thursday 11th of April

This was a good hard fought game with plenty of tackles and goalmouth action in front of a good sized crowd.If Perranporth had had that team for the whole season they would be in the top half of the table.

Good luck to Scott and Perranporth for the remainder of the season,show the same commitment with the same team and you will soon move up the table.

Guest BenTheYeti

Trelawny Division 2

St Ives Reserves 4 - 1 Cury

As is customary at this time of the season, we found ourselves in a rather odd position of having a game on Thursday, no game this Saturday, and a game on Tuesday.
With a few still struggling after Saturday's marathon cup game, and a couple still coming back to full fitness, Dagger's got back to his Benitez-esque ways and made 3 changes. The big news was on the bench though, as Josh Curnow had returned from 10 weeks(!!) in Miami looking like a bronzed orange, so a night out for those not old enough to grow facial hair (most of them) at Zone had been planned for after the game.
In truth, we started the game as if the after party was far more important than the contest ahead of us, and possibly combined with memories of the score the last time we played Cury, the opening 20 minutes were like a lacklustre pre-season affair. However, both teams managed to score in this opening period.
After two similar attacks down each flank resulting in pulled back crosses being shot over, the latter by Charlie Eddy was deflected for a corner. With 5 men in grey having a cuddle with those in green at the back post, naturally the corner came in at the near. This proved to be a cunning ploy though, as the defender has clearly been rehearsing some ballet moves at home, doing a graceful pirouette as the ball ricocheted off his shin and into the net.
Cury replied almost straight away though, as it seemed the Yeti was destined to have an "entertaining" evening in goal. After nearly doing a nifty Michael Jordan impression and reverse slam-dunking the ball into my own net, the resulting corner was met by a flying Ben Trerise, whose header left myself and Alex Brown on the post rooted to the spot.
Usually scoring and/or conceding a goal wakes a team up, and it did, but not us.. as Cury nearly took the lead when a long through ball was latched onto by (I think) Ben again, who flicked it past yours truly, but luckily his power and direction were lacking and Noah Tanner got back to clear the danger.
​With a quarter of the match gone, we finally started to find some rhythm, and after Barney Poznansky had calmly strolled into the box, in a good 67 yards of space and one on one, but calmly passed the ball to the keeper, we eventually found the net again. Good build up by Andy Barry and the aforementioned Barney, led to a clever ball round the corner for the ever lively Charlie Eddy (at 16 years old, I'd hope he'd be lively), who managed to squeeze a shot under the keeper with the outside of his boot.
Although it was sporadic, we had started to play some good football, and goals 3 and 4 came before half time. Firstly, with one of our midfielders again finding himself in enough space to hold a picnic in, Andy Barry once again provided the goal of the game as he rolled a pass to Barney, then proceeded to tackle not only the Cury defender, but Barney too, and set off on a run which breezed him past 3 in green before calmly slotting into the corner. This fine solo effort was followed up by a fine team goal, with the ball being worked to Mr Consistent Noah Tanner, who at 4ft6, whipped in a menacing cross which was met by a towering header by 4ft7 Alex Brown which flew into the far corner.
HT 4-1
After a half time "telling off" from Daggers, we set out looking to add to the goalscoring, and after Ed Wilkes had scored his only ever goal in the reverse fixture, he came close to scoring again. Unfortunately, his acrobatic side on volley was in his own penalty area from a Cury free kick and he and I were lucky it was at a good height as I pushed it away for a corner.
In truth, Cury, who I've either played against or watched 4 times this season now, look a much stronger unit now than earlier in the season, and they continued to create the better chances. Firstly, a ball over the top went on a little expedition across the Saltings Ski Moguls, with Max Sumray trying in vain to get it under control, when this failed, the ball kindly hit one last bump as he tried to clear it and Ben Trerise nipped in to bear down on goal. Thankfully for us, he's greedier than Arjen Robben, and chose to shoot at my legs rather than square it for a much easier chance. We were again almost caught out by a Cury set piece, which seemed to flick off 5 players lined up like dominoes before I shovelled the ball away for a corner.
With a few in grey starting to show tired legs, the manager brought on the day-glo Josh Curnow and Jack Lorys, and both had chances to help ease the pressure somewhat. After Jack had told me just before coming on he was going to score, and finding himself 20 yards out, I thought he was right. Unfortunately, he's another in the under 5ft tall brigade, and had to stretch too much to get a more powerful shot away, and Josh's shot was also slightly on the stretch, but his effort was well saved by my opposite number.
A game which was never really a great spectacle fizzled out, though I tried to make it interesting by taking a back pass confidently in my stride, only to see my feet once again turn to concrete as I passed it straight to a Cury winger, whose speculative effort beat everyone but found only the side netting.

Nothing to set the world on fire last night, and maybe it was a combination of being a Thursday, and what I'm sure is the carnage that was the "Zone" last night, that led to this being very lackadaisical. For the 4th time this season, big credit to Cury, who as we all know have struggled terribly with a lack of players due to Naval commitments, but they never complain (apart from the occasional offside decision.. don't we all) and just make the best out of what's available.
Good Luck for the remainder of the season, and thanks for coming back to the pub afterwards

Guest smashing pumpkin

Thats right marksy no game for us 2mro. But we have a tough mid week with st ives and coldrose on tues and thursday. Come down and watch if u like

Guest BenTheYeti

Just heard Cury cant raise a team for tomorrow, -_- unbelievable, can travel to st ives on a thursday but cant get a team for sat at home, points to Wendron, hope you do the same for us in two weeks time.

We spoke about this in the pub last night with them. From the team they had out last night (13), 5 are working on Saturday, and as has been documented on here, most of their players are still overseas.

Guest BenTheYeti

Thats right marksy no game for us 2mro. But we have a tough mid week with st ives and coldrose on tues and thursday. Come down and watch if u like

No game for us either on Saturday.. shame it's a bit late or we could have played tomorrow.. bit of a trek to Wendron on a Tuesday night! Bit of a shame it won't be on the main pitch either

Just heard Cury cant raise a team for tomorrow, -_- unbelievable, can travel to st ives on a thursday but cant get a team for sat at home, points to Wendron, hope you do the same for us in two weeks time.

Don't worry marksy we will forefil all the fixtures for the rest of the season this weekend includes 5 away on a long planned stag doo 8 navy lads being deployed for a deployment to sunny Scotland and at least 2 of the local boys having to work even after all that we almost pulled a squad together. With no more stag doos and deployments coming to an end the future looks bright for cury. Sorry to wendron for the late call off but we did try.