Cornwall Football Forum

This has been the case for a number of seasons now, this due to teams not being relagated after finishing at bottom year after year, which now in last couple of seasons has changed so hopefully the league will improve

This only my view others will prob see it differently

As we get older it seems that everyone says that the standard has dropped. I think that the commitment from players has dropped. Football has changed, there are lots of other things to do at the weekends. I have seen some very poor games in the peninsula premier league this season, and have also witnessed a few junior games, where its not been pretty to watch. If the standard has fallen it is across the board, not just the combo in isolation!

Corrct Paul. The standard of fhl ten years ago or so was good. Combo 15 years or so was good, 20 or so years ago even better. Money and the fear of losing for others have a factor.

It's crazy that Falmouth won the league last year yet this year struggling to raise a side! When I was a kid, I used to want to play at tfe likes of Penzance, porthleven, falmouth cos of just the size of the clubs. Nowadays players will go anywhere especially if there's a bit of cash at the end of it.

Give me 400 a game and I could win the combo as manager. It's those that succeed without money that have the respect of others

i was only saying this the other day to a few pals. is combo a stepping stone 2 peninsula football cause who was the last team to go from combo to peninsula football?? or is it now seen as a pointless league and should be intergrated back into trelawny league??

It's not crazy that Falmouth won the league last year and are now struggling to raise a side St Darren.

If things did'nt change at Falmouth they would most likely be sat on top of the combo league now, no disrespect meant to whoever wins the title this year but Falmouth gave it away!!!!

Behind the scenes Carey was breaking the club but some people thought it was a good idea to bring him back everytime he threw his toys out of the pram and resigned, now Falmouth are suffering the consequences of bringing in two managers who unfortunately have been out of football for a while,taken over mid-season,Had to cope with a mass exodus of players, had a budget cut, and the expectancy to turn things around in a couple of months i don,t think so!!

Maybe they ought to try and prise themnagers back from Wendron and try a fresh start, the Swpl will have no excuses why they can't get their own players in pre-season and a strong reserve side will be great backing?????????

Helston, a few seasons back, Perranporth before that, both doing ok!!!! Falmouth couldn't go up last year because of the position of the first team in the pyramid, and Illogan who have been at the forefront in the league for a few years, have decided not to go up. I think that there are clubs in the league that if their league position justified it, would take the plunge and go up.

Indifferent managers who rape and bleed clubs for money and then move on, leaving a ravaged, anaemic shell behind them, have ruined so-called senior football.

Unfortunately another club usually welcomes them in to repeat the crime.

Improved transport and mobility has destroyed player loyalty. A new generation is growing on a diet of on-line fodder and most kids don't play football any more. In 25 years half the clubs in Cornwall will have shut down. :c:

Most kids don't play football anymore because some idiot made a rule that they can,t play till they reach 16, the same idiot was probably responsible for not allowing county youth to be selected from lower than combo teams, so most young players play in a combo team that's not competing for honours (coz they buy in superstars) where they can play week in week out due to lack of players, and are left playing with a bunch of no hopers in the bottom 4 of the combo when they could infact play for a strong trelawney prem side like Illogan ( if they don't want to play at county level that is)

agree with most of the posts on here and a very good thread ,have seen some very good combo players this season and some that are not so good ,but it is not the players or managers fault there are so many different things for people to do now days and as we all know a lot of players play well below their standard eg with their mates is a good one ,the older ones about would try to play at the highest level they could but now things have changed i am afraid .myself only played junior football but i was not good enough to play at senior level ,and i would have been well chuffed to have had that chance ,but you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear , but i still enjoyed the game and have made some very good friends from the teams i played for , you are a long time retired and a football is not just about what you can get out but what you can put back . and any young players out ther enjoy the game and try to play at the highest level possible as it is soon all over and we can all say we could have done this or played for the best teams around but there is no going back when old father time catches up with you

I played combo 30 years ago for Penzance and Ludgvan for about 10 years the old guys who watched us said we weren't as good standard as west penwith league they played in .l know the standard has dropped doesn't mean there isn't good young players there worth watching even the premier league is crap some games

May not be completely relevant but think reinstatement rules and sunday league rules put some talented players off from stepping up! If they play senior football they are penalised and this is where the whole playing with your mates in lower leagues can start!

I agree with that Kash. I think the same three players, eight day rule that applies in senior football, should apply across the board. I am not sure if its true but I've heard that we are the only county that has a junior/senior rule!

kash very good points and almon is also correct we sometimes do see the old days through rose tinted glasses ,the clubs do have a lot better youth systems and facilities than years ago and long gone are the twenty a side .jumpers for goal posts two hour games and last goal wins on hayle rec with abattered old leather football someone had for their birthday ,but a lot of clubs have had to blood young players because so called GOOD LOCAL PLAYERS have chased the filthy lucre around the county ,their are very few players who stay at one club all their football life but as already stated on thread there is more young people with transport than 15 -20 years ago and also a lot more players have to work sat than a few yeas ago .

perhaps making players sign for only one club and not being able to play different league for different clubs might help clubs as well ,or also making trelawney league premier combo div 2 and reduce combo league to say 16 teams which would reduce games and maybe raise standard

kash very good points and almon is also correct we sometimes do see the old days through rose tinted glasses ,the clubs do have a lot better youth systems and facilities than years ago and long gone are the twenty a side .jumpers for goal posts two hour games and last goal wins on hayle rec with abattered old leather football someone had for their birthday ,but a lot of clubs have had to blood young players because so called GOOD LOCAL PLAYERS have chased the filthy lucre around the county ,their are very few players who stay at one club all their football life but as already stated on thread there is more young people with transport than 15 -20 years ago and also a lot more players have to work sat than a few yeas ago .

As I've always said - the older you get the better you were.

Reduce the teams.

Currently lots of clubs complain about not enough players and that is because there are to many clubs, I only have to look at camb & red area where there are loads.

This has resulted in players not bothering to fight for a place and push the players in the team that you want a place in, now days managers seem worried about dropping a player cause he will just leave an go to a club down the road that is struggling needs players and will guarantee him 90 mins every week. If we have les teams players have to stick it out at a club and fight for a place increasing the standard throughout.

I always remember when I started playing as a youngster that you had to do a couple of seasons trying to fight for your place mixed in with a few games off the bench this always pushed yourself and players around you to do better, that was certainly the ethos at penryn when I was there. Nowadays people have 1 week on the bench an leave, some players even leave trelawney league teams cause they can't get in so go to a poor combo teams and start, that cant be right??

Why is the Combo league called 'senior' and the Trelawney league called 'junior'? I think players heads are turned by the chance to play 'senior' football when the make-up of the teams is no different and the standards of the teams is not that different. Another reason for the demise in standard is that 20-30 years ago, not so many lads went to University because there were more job opportunities down here in cornwall. I agree attitudes towards playing have changed - more to do on a weekend etc and very little commitment any more

Most kids don't play football anymore because some idiot made a rule that they can,t play till they reach 16, the same idiot was probably responsible for not allowing county youth to be selected from lower than combo teams, so most young players play in a combo team that's not competing for honours (coz they buy in superstars) where they can play week in week out due to lack of players, and are left playing with a bunch of no hopers in the bottom 4 of the combo when they could infact play for a strong trelawney prem side like Illogan ( if they don't want to play at county level that is)

Would just like to point out that I am 17 and one of the 4 players who play for Pendeen who are 18 and under and we all play week in week out and are not in the bottom 4 of the combo...

Would just like to point out that I am 17 and one of the 4 players who play for Pendeen who are 18 and under and we all play week in week out and are not in the bottom 4 of the combo...And?

Guest BenTheYeti

I agree totally with the above two post's. When i was 16 i wouldn't of had a cat in hells chance of getting in a swl side. now i'm 45 overweight and unfit, watching some games lately i have a chance! :D

Made a cameo appearance down the Saltings a few weeks ago if I recall :P

Put it another way how many players 30+ played adult football under the age of 16? I guess most of them so Bighairydave ask them if they feel that this was not acceptable and how it has effected their lives.

Country wide rule or not it's total rubbish, if they want to play let them out there, if they get knocked around then they can go and play on their phone or something, however most will hold their own and become better players for it man up boys!

I agree totally with the above two post's. When i was 16 i wouldn't of had a cat in hells chance of getting in a swl side. now i'm 45 overweight and unfit, watching some games lately i have a chance! :D

Made a cameo appearance down the Saltings a few weeks ago if I recall :P

That wasn't me Ben, that was 2nd team manager Matt Kemp, he's only half my age but i can see where the confusion lies. My username should read Ron EX Manager!

I did watch your game on sat, great header from Mike Lloyd gave you no chance, but after half time your side got on top and always looked like winning it in the end.

s abbo illogan are a great club ,and they would hold their own in swpl perhaps this would be a good move for the club and maybe your reserves could move up to combo ? and this would freshen up the league maybe? ,as the young man from pendeen pendeen have a good group of young players and some older head s like housey ,but will they all stay at pendeen next season as as pendeen has announced that your manager is stepping down ?.and in the past pendeen had a blip and dropped out of the combo but they have regrouped and bounced back better than before ,ludgvan have done the same and both your penwith clubs play good football and deserve your places in the combo higher reaches ,but in truth the teams lower down are not as good i am afraid this is not a swipe at any combo team as mine hayle are also struggling at present but we are hopefully changing this with young talent from inside the club but this will take time ,which we are slowly running out of,

The "youngsters" at Illogan are happy to play for Illogan. May be thirds, second or first. Clubmen.

Thats not strictly true, yes they will play for any of the sides I dont doubt that but didnt playing senior football the previous season cause a few probs with picking the junior cup team at times, I know your bro and shaun carter had to miss games in progression to the final! Its another example of reinstatement rules holding back players from stepping up and ultimately affecting the standard!

The "youngsters" at Illogan are happy to play for Illogan. May be thirds, second or first. Clubmen.

Thats not strictly true, yes they will play for any of the sides I dont doubt that but didnt playing senior football the previous season cause a few probs with picking the junior cup team at times, I know your bro and shaun carter had to miss games in progression to the final! Its another example of reinstatement rules holding back players from stepping up and ultimately affecting the standard!

Yes that's true.. Shaun was at hayle tho. He would of stayed there but has to work quite a few Saturdays. Luke got punnished for playing a few games end of season as did a few others. All ok now junior cup is over.. Until next season lol

s abbo you are correct shaun carter did play for hayle swplw last season and he was a great asset to the club and was a good keeper and was a loss to that league shame about sat he has to work but afraid with the way employment is now days work has to come 1st

Well said young Percy, been saying that for years, used to be one south western league, then combo, now there are 3 south western leagues and combo, doesn't take a genius to work out the extra teams and spread of players reducing the quality in general , if the peninsula league ceased and penininsula east and west were no more, where would all these players go? Combo and east Cornwall premier hence then the standard then improving

Reduce the teams.

Totally agree - 20 teams at this level is crazy. Why not relegate the bottom two clubs each season until we get down to 16 or 18. No disrespect to Holmans, however the successful plea to avoid relegation at the end of last season has not helped the standard of the league or the fixture backlog most clubs are now facing.

St Agnes for example have a staggering 13 league fixtures remaining - and they have just won the quarter final of the Supplementary Cup!

Ive seen Some teams in the combination league really try and play good football this season with some really tidy youngsters coming through who try and play the right way Hayle being one of them played some great stuff last week against Penryn.

I've also seen a few sides that just boot it 60 yds up the pitch and chase it like looneys!!

There are also teams that have to pay to play whilst there are a few that pay stupid money to get players to play for them!!

Each to there own they all have there reasons for the way they play and how they get players to play for them!!

We can all go on about how it was better years ago perhaps it was but then there were less teams around and players lived and died for Saturday afternoons this isn't the case anymore as there's So much football out there to play during the week etc and I feel Saturdays sometimes takes a back seat now to a lot of people!!!!

I just feel we all need to take a good look at where we are in the big picture of local football way way down the bottom of the ladder!!!

When we all realise that and just start to get back to enjoying Saturday afternoons and play to enjoy yourselves!!!

Cornwall are indeed the only county with a senior/junior rule. Reinstatement has vanished elsewhere. So has the importance of the county Senior Cup, treated as a midweek add-on everywhere but Cornwall, where it is still allowed to disrupt league fixturing and cause the very backlogs of fixtures referred to earlier on this thread because of old-fashioned thinking.

However, the rule preventing under-16s from competing in adult football, ludicrous in Cornwall and often leading to the loss of young players from the game altogether, was imposed by the English FA. In populated areas where there are many children's teams and the standard is better, it can make sense as a health and safety restriction. Whether this should be overridden in a sparse rural area where there may be no choice of boys'and girls' teams in a youngster's age range for 20 miles is open to debate.

Cornwall are indeed the only county with a senior/junior rule. Reinstatement has vanished elsewhere. So has the importance of the county Senior Cup, treated as a midweek add-on everywhere but Cornwall, where it is still allowed to disrupt league fixturing and cause the very backlogs of fixtures referred to earlier on this thread because of old-fashioned thinking.

However, the rule preventing under-16s from competing in adult football, ludicrous in Cornwall and often leading to the loss of young players from the game altogether, was imposed by the English FA. In populated areas where there are many children's teams and the standard is better, it can make sense as a health and safety restriction. Whether this should be overridden in a sparse rural area where there may be no choice of boys'and girls' teams in a youngster's age range for 20 miles is open to debate.

There you are Isaac - you can blog in Elizabeth's English. Top of the class for you. :thumbsup:

Ive seen Some teams in the combination league really try and play good football this season with some really tidy youngsters coming through who try and play the right way Hayle being one of them played some great stuff last week against Penryn.

I've also seen a few sides that just boot it 60 yds up the pitch and chase it like looneys!!

There are also teams that have to pay to play whilst there are a few that pay stupid money to get players to play for them!!

Each to there own they all have there reasons for the way they play and how they get players to play for them!!

We can all go on about how it was better years ago perhaps it was but then there were less teams around and players lived and died for Saturday afternoons this isn't the case anymore as there's So much football out there to play during the week etc and I feel Saturdays sometimes takes a back seat now to a lot of people!!!!

I just feel we all need to take a good look at where we are in the big picture of local football way way down the bottom of the ladder!!!

When we all realise that and just start to get back to enjoying Saturday afternoons and play to enjoy yourselves!!!