Cornwall Football Forum

Trelawny League Results Sun 7th April 2013

Thanks Gaffer. Proud of my lads at Stithians. Battled extremely well, and to only lose on pens. I think it shows that the fixtures need looking at though. We had played 4 games in 8days and like you said the day before also. Where I think Gwinear had a week break. Shame it wasn't on a level ground that one.

Good Luck to Gwinear in the final. Bring it home for Div 5.

About 30 free kicks to Stithians... Three to Gwinear (all in extra time). That's not saying Gwinear are a dirty team.. One challenge in extra time saw a Gwinear cm head the ball and get penalised. As a neutral, I don't suppose you heard what the ref said to the Stithians skipper as he walked away from the coin toss at extra time... "I hope you win"... That summed it up for me.

Davros, completely agree. It's a disgrace. It's okay for the guys at the ccfa and league to plan the fixtures, they're not the ones playing them! We've had various Saturdays with no fixtures within the last few months... Definitely needs looking at.

What I will say, it's a credit to you for not going the easy route and loading up your squad with first teamers

Thanks. We don't beleive in having a number of First teamers in. It's those lads that got us to the Semi and it would of been those lads which would of represented the club in the FInal should we of won yesterday.

Most of them young - so a good learning curve.

Dange`rous, if you are going to start spouting off on here please get your facts correct, fixtures are nothing to do with the CCFA. they have no input to league fixtures so why blame them, or are they just a convenient whipping post.

I don't really care care who it is that sorts the fixtures to be honest with you. CCFA, The league, whoever. It's a farce and an absolute joke. I personally haven't been affected by it yet, but with good friends at different clubs and with the posts and threads on here, it's pretty plain to see that I am not the only one with this opinion

Thanks. We don't beleive in having a number of First teamers in. It's those lads that got us to the Semi and it would of been those lads which would of represented the club in the FInal should we of won yesterday.

Most of them young - so a good learning curve.

Well, you certainly gained our respect :) see you on Saturday I believe :thumbsup:

obviously can not comment on what you say the ref said but to say you had no free kicks in 90 minutes??....come on!

About 30 free kicks to Stithians... Three to Gwinear (all in extra time). That's not saying Gwinear are a dirty team.. One challenge in extra time saw a Gwinear cm head the ball and get penalised. As a neutral, I don't suppose you heard what the ref said to the Stithians skipper as he walked away from the coin toss at extra time... "I hope you win"... That summed it up for me.

Davros, completely agree. It's a disgrace. It's okay for the guys at the ccfa and league to plan the fixtures, they're not the ones playing them! We've had various Saturdays with no fixtures within the last few months... Definitely needs looking at.

What I will say, it's a credit to you for not going the easy route and loading up your squad with first teamers

obviously can not comment on what you say the ref said but to say you had no free kicks in 90 minutes??....come on!

I'm certainly not far wrong! Anyway, it was a good, fair game which has gone. I'm not debating or arguing, this is a forum for opinions... This is my opinion

thought was very poor game which promised a lot more credit to stithians players and managment however who got there tactics spot on sit deep and defend the long ball game, on some occasions even let them win the header and clear 2nd ball! very smart referee wasnt great far from it but decisions even up over a season we all know that credit stithians performance but gwinear are in final but will have to improve against either redruth or wendron

I wouldn't say it was a poor game. It was a good battle made difficult by a strong wind. Neither side really took advantage of the width and there were far too many stop/start moments so it was difficult at times for the players to fully get stuck into the game. Both teams battled well, both had chances. Admittedly, Stithians had the best chance of the game, a one on one in which Miners saved superbly to his left. It was just one of those games. 2 div five teams out of their comfort zone on a huge pitch battling for silverware, it's never going to be a high standard game in terms of technical skill

Russell Hall Cup Semi

St Day 2 - 4 AET Rangers

1 - 0

1 - 1

2 - 1 H/T

2 - 2 F/T

2 - 4 AET

Well where to start with this one. Rangers 1 down after the first 5, or so minutes when ball went under the keeper. Not exactly a net buster more off a back pass that went in. St Day playing down the slope on a very firm track to say the least. Rangers playing with a quartering wind we pretty much had the better of the opening exchanges. The keeper for St Day was certainly the busier of the two keepers. Rangers equalized after about 20 and were on top at this point. Then wham bang a long straight ball splitting the two centre halfs and its 2-1 St Day game well and truely on. I thought it was well taken by their top goal scorer Justin James (correct me if I'm wrong). The St Day keeper got clattered making a smart rush out and coming down whacking his head at about the 30min mark. Not the only injury caused by the firm surface I may add. Keeper played on perhaps when others would not have done. The half came to a close with neither side really being able get the ball under control.

Second half saw Rangers still trying to play on the deck but with little going their way. St Day were making it hard all over the park and some occasional charges into the Rangers box could have led to more but didn't. Let alone the long periods of shall we say slowing it down. Rangers after 10 decided to change things and brought on some more fire power up front. This came close to paying off but St Day still refused to buckle. Then the moment which proved so decisive in the game, an injury to St Day, a sub comes on play begins, the injured player goes back on. St Day player gets round the right back shoots across the keeper into the corner. Cheers all round from the local side, oops..........12 players on the park and a quick chat between officials and its ruled out. Now Rangers changed things again pushing up another forward. With time running out bang an absolute cracker is smashed into the net by that extra forward. 2-2 at the close of the half.

Extra time began with strangely St Day electing to defend the hill. This invited Rangers onto them and being on the up after pulling it back. Rangers younger players were coming to the fore it was no surprise when they put themselves ahead for the first time. Ball poked home after some good interlinking play down the right side. 3-2. St Day started to try just too hard now and Rangers kept pushing on down that hill. Still it took another cracker from one of those young lads to finally break St Days hearts. 4-2 and it felt like game over. Second half of extra's saw Rangers just settle for what we had and instructions to just see it out were followed to the full.

This was a real tough game and no quarter was asked or given. What I can say is it's a great decision by the league to use three officials to keep charge at this stage. I would hate to think what would have occured with club linesmen and the 12 players. I would add though perhaps a kick off at 12 - 12:30 could have been a better plan. It must have been a real gut wrench for St Day this game was so close to being theirs. As for my lot they left nothing in the tank and gave it their all and as the gaffer you can never ask anymore.

Last words to the officials did a grand job, got the biggest decision right. A pleasure not to have to worry about those honesty calls and any chance of any back chat or grief from either side. Thanks fella's.

Are refs getting semi final nerves? It seems that in every semi final played throughout cornwall this season the referees have been a joke! Is it the same one appointed to each semi final?

As for fixtures, I remember playing in the final of the Percy Stephens cup one evening, then playing a league game the next day when challenging for promotion in the Fal Helston leagues, so it's not recent and not just now.

Give the guys a break, it's not their full time jobs and I'm sure they do the best they can. Give it a rest or give them a hand.

Best of luck in the final.

They get a wage don't they?!? It's a job in which as players, we contribute towards with our subs so we are entitled to an opinion. Completely different story if it was voluntary. Why anyone would to it voluntarily though is beyond me :/ I have huge respect or the men in black but games like that and with that "I hope you win" comment... You're going to question it arent you

Yes they get a wage,but it isn't their full time jobs and I presume they have families too, so I imagine they do the best they can. Then it is down to the club sec to querie or ask for a fixture change when they are aware of them.

Yes, admittedly that comment isn't acceptable from an official. Whether he wanted it or not.

X