Cornwall Football Forum

5 Games in 8 Days!

Yeah the weather has been bad and you can guarantee that you have a fixture pile up in the last two months of the season, but us at Marazion Reserves have got to play 5 games in 8 days, including a cup semi-final the day after an important league game. Because we have been deducted 9 points , we really need to win every league game to have a chance at winning the league and gaining promotion ( as long as our firsts continue winning and get promoted too). Wouldnt mind too much if I was a single teenager but as a family man nearly 40, think its asking a bit too much in both time, and having only one days rest maximum between games!!

Guest smashing pumpkin

With the players you got playing in your league i doubt many will have sympathy. Maybe it will be a leveller.

Would only be a leveller if every team had to do the same. With the players in our team we would be capable of playing at least div 2 , where we got Hayle 3rds to last season, and even higher considering the addition of 2 ex combo players and 1 from SW . But we moved club and accepted that we would have to start at the bottom, like any new team. Div 5 is very competitive with there being 6/7 teams capable of winning it.....not sure many other divs can say that. Just gonna mean if we win the league and get through to the cup final, it will taste all the sweeter!!

With the players you got playing in your league i doubt many will have sympathy. Maybe it will be a leveller.

I dont agree its a leveller, if anything it gives advantage to the other teams with star players, no1 has said much about gwinear, camborne park to name a few teams in that league!

well it wont be a problem for the evergren pair of paul and rufy ,haha but that is the joy of having a good season and the boys from hayle hvae done good at marazion,and probable has also openened the door at hayle for some of the young talent so good luck boys [me old mate sfrom hayle ] and have a good push for the end of season

In house politics as usual, especially when you never have a settled team because your senior teams arent capable of acquiring a squad of players to be comitted for a season and they take whomever and whenever they want, usually with the player not really wanting to step up but play with his mates and manager whom he signed for. Got a lot of respect for the other teams in Div 5 whom have pushed us in every game we have played, been some quality , tough games!

blue moon what you are saying is what goes on in every football club with more than one team.you always work from the first team down otherwise what is the point playing for the same club.

or you might turn around and say whats the point in playing for this club as the manager never picks anyone from the 2nd's/3rds etc.

when i played at illogan i was always being switched between the 3 teams from swl down to mining 1 and the reason i did it was i was proud to play for the club

I can see where you coming from Pat but from the flip side, I bet the majority of the fellas playing Trelawney League do so to play for a manager who is most probably a mate, and the other boyz on the team whom are mates too. If you're a tidy player wanting to better themselves and play to the best level you should be aiming to play senior football, and what I've played in myself, it aint that much higher a standard than some of the games I have played in over the years in Cornish Junior footy. I understand and appreciate club loyalty, but I wouldnt play for a club where none of my mates were playing unless all I was interested in was playing at the highest level possible. Our aim at Marazion is to put the club back into senior football, and with the squad of players we have and age on their side, it may be a possibility.

I can see where you coming from Pat but from the flip side, I bet the majority of the fellas playing Trelawney League do so to play for a manager who is most probably a mate, and the other boyz on the team whom are mates too. If you're a tidy player wanting to better themselves and play to the best level you should be aiming to play senior football, and what I've played in myself, it aint that much higher a standard than some of the games I have played in over the years in Cornish Junior footy. I understand and appreciate club loyalty, but I wouldnt play for a club where none of my mates were playing unless all I was interested in was playing at the highest level possible. Our aim at Marazion is to put the club back into senior football, and with the squad of players we have and age on their side, it may be a possibility.

I didnt hear any moans about the number of games when we were sitting several places higher than your firsts and some of your 2nd team better players stepped up to improve there side putting 7 goals apast us, sparking there rise up the table. All legal i may add as your in the fortunate or maybe unfortunate position of having a lot of 2nd team players better than first team. For my money if you play for a club, you play for a club. For Marazion to rise there will be a lot more politics in the years to come than there were at Hayle. The better players will have to play first team eventually for the club to go anywhere. Be good to see clubs like marazion bouncing back though

Guest BenTheYeti

I have to agree with Slimbob.. We played Saturday, Tuesday and Today, then back on the pitch Thursday, Saturday and Tuesday.. and I'm loving every minute of it.

I won't be saying that when I run out of Savlon for my knees and elbows and I look like a burns victim but hey ho...

Blue moon, u say u want 2 get marazion back in the combo well how will that work wen ur 2nd team is stronger than ur 1st team, u say about 'in house politics' at hayle yet it seems 2 b the same issue at marazion res, i not having a pop just asking the question, i personally would like 2 c marazion back in the combo i can remember playing down there and like the set up

Showing my age now lol, can remember playing there 4 illogan think i can name the team, kev roberts gk, me rb, nick ward lb, john salmon and jeff till cb, gareth pitt rm, ja buckley lm, simon tyrell and matt willey cm and alan buckley and shaun light up top, bench was kevin jenkin and cant think who else, good times must of bin about 17/18 years ago

We certainly will deal with it at Marazion like the rest of the other teams who are in the same position. My point being that for us mere mortals that is a lot of football to play in just over a week and, personally it takes a lot out of the old body! I think it makes a bit of a farce too that you have to play nearly half of your league fixtures in a six week period when the season runs for 9 months! At the end of this season, are teams final positions gonna be a true reflection of where they should be because teams have had to play so many games in such a short period of time? Even the pros dont play this much football and they are trained athletes!

West Cornwall Res end our season with 5 games in 8 days and like others have mentioned, I'm looking forward to it.

We usually always see a backlog of fixtures towards the end of the season but this year has been made even worse by the prolonged spells of rain that we have had. There's no one to blame for it and unfortunately it can't be helped.

The only thing that would prevent this would be to try and fit more midweek games on early in the season (we had no midweek game at the start of this season for example) or to reduce the number of teams in each league so that there are less fixtures over the course of the calendar.

Showing my age now lol, can remember playing there 4 illogan think i can name the team, kev roberts gk, me rb, nick ward lb, john salmon and jeff till cb, gareth pitt rm, ja buckley lm, simon tyrell and matt willey cm and alan buckley and shaun light up top, bench was kevin jenkin and cant think who else, good times must of bin about 17/18 years ago

. Bloody hell mikey you have a good memory I'm that old now I can't remember playing for illogan . Ha ha