Cornwall Football Forum

Same old nonsense being spouted by the pro-stadium brigade.

If the Cornish Pirates or Cornwall RFU want or need a stadium, then let them pay for it. Neither Truro City or Cornwall FA need a stadium, both are far too small to warrant one of more than 2,000 capacity and most SWPL grounds can already accommodate that amount.

Eden Project and Tate Gallery are tourist attractions that combined see over 1.5m visitors a year and are of benefit to the county as a whole. S4C would not see 1.5m fans in 100 years and would be a drain on the public purse.

There is no argument for public funds to be wasted on S4C, Cornwall Council is already upto our necks in debt, staff are being sacked, services are being cut, money tight. If the Cornish Pirates, who seem to be more in need of S4C than anyone, actually want to cough up, then great, build away.

Same old nonsense being spouted by the pro-stadium brigade.

If the Cornish Pirates or Cornwall RFU want or need a stadium, then let them pay for it. Neither Truro City or Cornwall FA need a stadium, both are far too small to warrant one of more than 2,000 capacity and most SWPL grounds can already accommodate that amount.

Eden Project and Tate Gallery are tourist attractions that combined see over 1.5m visitors a year and are of benefit to the county as a whole. S4C would not see 1.5m fans in 100 years and would be a drain on the public purse.

There is no argument for public funds to be wasted on S4C, Cornwall Council is already upto our necks in debt, staff are being sacked, services are being cut, money tight. If the Cornish Pirates, who seem to be more in need of S4C than anyone, actually want to cough up, then great, build away.

Well said that man. :thumbsup:

Nemesis - totally agree with you

Thankfully the decisions on this development will not be made by you, me or Nemesis, but by hard working, democratically elected County Coucillors. There are elections on 2nd May, so if Nemesis wants to stand he has to get his nomination in today. I always vote but, sadly, the turnout is often less than 30%.

I think if we are going to talk about how the Council or Governments should spend budgets etc then we will be here all day.

Sports stadiums, Expenses, Aid, etc there are arguments for both sides

The stadium has got the go ahead now lets support it

Nope. Not if a single penny of my money is used to build it. The council have no money - its our money.

I've not really paid much attention to the Stadium for Cornwall.

Can anyone tell me how the people of Cornwall will benefit from this? I cannot see anything on their website that gives any detail. I can see that the Cornish Pirate will play there offering the possibility of Premier League Rugby - a fantastic thing for the people of Cornwall to be able to experience.

However, apart from this, I cannot find out any other benefits (and that one relies on Pirate getting promoted and staying there). In Cornwall we only have two athletics tracks, one of which is under threat of being removed and not replaced. The other is a basic track with limited facilities.

There is no 50m swimming pool or diving facilities, one indoor cricket centre, limited top quality tennis facilities, etc, etc.

Presumably, as well as providing a stadium for use by the Pirates, there is going to be a large, top quality area full of facilities for all sports, to allow those high level Cormish sportsmen and women to excel and provide opportunity for high level competition to be played in Cornwall to 'Inspire a Generation'.

Does anyone know?

they talk about building a sfc but have not got the money to maintain the pitches they own.how about rebuilding tms's changing rooms that were knocked down,i know its the parish council but it all comes out the same pot.they spend money on improving the pitch but take away what changing rooms they did have.

look after what you have first before you expand surely this makes good business sense

Oh dear oh dear my previous post on this subject looks to have been removed ,I would like to know why but doubt I will get an explanation,this forum is good but admin shouldn't believe the hype!

Back to the stadium,we all well almost all pay council tax(publicmoney)and will continue to do so whether we like it or not stadium or no stadium.

I've lived in Falmouth all of my life so lets forget this stadium for tcfc (you Truro haters) and move with the times and have a facility Cornwall can be proud of!

cornish hoop

i am not a tcfc hater in any way i would love to have seen them stay up after a terrible last 2 seasons.

my problem like others on here is that as much as i would love to see a 10'000 seater stadium for cornwall it has to be pheasable.

the figures do not add up in the present economic climate.

the area is a nightmare for traffic now.

the council cannot fill its obligations with the facilities that it has at present,so how can they maintain this building.

if you do get private investors they will only put the money up front for so long.

this is before you think of social care/ nhs/ schools etc.

i am just trying to be practicle having served on many committees all my adult life

Do people think that this stadium is going to be used 24/7? Traffic normally works in phases. This will be considered and be busy with commuters for a few hours every fortnight. Putting it in the middle of nowhere will bring less supporters. That's been proven by many teams moving to a new ground on the outskirts of major cities.

I live within a 15 minute walk of Home Park/Life Centre and 20 from Brickfields and having those facilities nearby to use are second to none. These aren't available in Cornwall and I'm sure if marketed correctly could see good returns.

rayvon.

if you read my post i did say investors would fund for a few years~10 i think if my memory is correct in dicky evans case.but what about after.

sunday afternoons maybe.but truro is the main shopping centre in cornwall so the road is busy on saturday.

are you not forgetting the hundreds of houses that will be built on the back of this stadium,with all the infastructure that goes with them.

this is not in the middle of truro but on the outskirts i believe

jasa.

i have to come past redruth rugby club after work on saturdays and just with pedestrians it is very busy,lack of parking means there are few cars.and they get far more than truro city roughly 800-1000 fans.their ground is in town with good public transport available so cars are not required,were as the s4c would be built right next to the park and ride.would everyone use the train and bus to get there!! i don't think so do you.

but it all still comes back to the 6 letter swear word " budget " as much as dicky evans will invest the council will still have to contribute with money they do not have or could be used for much.

better concerns.

as i said in my previous post i am not being negative just practical.you can only work with what you have got and if the council are keeping money back for this cause to the detrement of more important things they should hang their heads in shame.

I think some are getting carried away about what the Cornish Pirates can achieve, finance will always be the main factor, will the masses follow a losing team - I don't think so.

I have not posted the above to upset anyone but the finances will always favour the big boys, take Harlequins, over Xmas they played a home league game at Twickenham the crowd was 82,000, in September London Wasps played a home league game at Twickenham and attracted 63,000, later Saracens used Wembley Stadium for a league game and attracted 41,000. even with a full S4C Pirates couldn't compete with that, the money generated ensures the big clubs will always head the pecking order, even getting out of the 1st division could take the Pirates years if at all.

I cannot see any situation where a joint football/rugby venture can succeed, a football stadium for 4000 to 6000 with various minor sports and organisations accommodated within it's design would I believe be more beneficial to Truro City and eventually many small groups within the county. Where rugby has teamed up with football on almost every occasion it has spelt disaster for one or both clubs. Both codes should remain separate.

If there was money to be made by business the stadium would have been built years ago by the private sector. It has not been built, why not ???? There's no money to be made - obvious really.

Subsidise it with a shed load of public money, and business will queue up to build it and run it during its honeymoon period. Then within a few years the begging bowl will appear as losses mount, and who will foot the bill - work it out.

Pirates crowds - 5/6,000, TCFC - 300/500 in a 10,000 seater stadium, don't be stupid, and don't make this county look stupid.

The only county without a stadium!!!!! the only county with any savvy I would say.

Let those who want it build it, they won't, without the bribe of the houses that come with it. The developer will build it, and make his money on the houses - then retire to his house in the sun - laughing at us.

C'mon people get real.

TOIGTBIW - You and other like-minded people should stand for election as County Councillors and show us how the County should be run! Every decision is easy, until your the one who has to make it! :)

I know more about the workings of local government than the average Joe - believe me.

If you knew what goes on many would have a heart attack. I will tell you this. Nobody can beat the system that is local government, if you came up with the most perfect solution to all of their problems - they would vote against it - toe the party line etc.

Mavericks get nowhere in government, councils thrive on chaos and offer only a fire brigade knee jerk service - only a few can see it.

Everything, and I mean everything that is commercially orientated that local govm is involved in loses money you don't know that because it is dressed up and hidden away. Only the big projects get national scrutiny - have a sniff around under the freedom of information act (if they will let you ha ha) and be prepared for a big shock, its your money.

Councils love the big headlining projects, but, conveniently forget to maintain what they already have. So lets build another money gobbling edifice of folly to go with all the others. Use your money to build it not mine.

Thanks for your patience - I could write a book

In the paper this week alone The chair of the county spent £16,000+ on taxi's - go on - build your stadium, you couldn't make it up..

was asked to stand a few years ago but.if i see a problem i would have to speak out.not one for towing the line, so would not last 5 mins.

as i said in a previous post have been on committees all my adult life.

only this week in work my boss said that he likes me because i say what other people think,but will not say.

At the end of the day the public vote the councillors in and therefore we have made the wrong decision. The buck stops with the public. If the public think things should change why is the turnout at local elections is so low, sometimes 20% and seldom above 45%? Whichever way you look at it we get what we deserve!

Postman Pat - why not stand as an independent?

At the end of the day the public vote the councillors in and therefore we have made the wrong decision. The buck stops with the public. If the public think things should change why is the turnout at local elections is so low, sometimes 20% and seldom above 45%? Whichever way you look at it we get what we deserve!

Can't argue with that G. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I can't stand for election at the moment because of relocation, but I will be back one day, supported by Ecuadorian funding.

Major policies:

1. Abolish the concept of property.

2. New universal education system based on three hours of literary study of Causley, Shakespeare, the Bible and related texts and issues every morning followed by a tutorial in Cornish and three hours of football every afternoon.

3. Repatriate all auditors, lawyers, bureaucrats, traffic wardens, HR officers and egg chasers to England or an alternative country of their choice.

4. Transport all drug users to form a new community on Round Island.

5.Build a stadium for Cornwall by all means, but locate it in Newbridge.

6. Invite Julian Assange to become the first Honorary Vice-President of the Extended People's Republic of Lanust.

Unfortunately I can't stand for election at the moment because of relocation, but I will be back one day, supported by Ecuadorian funding.

Major policies:

1. Abolish the concept of property.

2. New universal education system based on three hours of literary study of Causley, Shakespeare, the Bible and related texts and issues every morning followed by a tutorial in Cornish and three hours of football every afternoon.

3. Repatriate all auditors, lawyers, bureaucrats, traffic wardens, HR officers and egg chasers to England or an alternative country of their choice.

4. Transport all drug users to form a new community on Round Island.

5.Build a stadium for Cornwall by all means, but locate it in Newbridge.

6. Invite Julian Assange to become the first Honorary Vice-President of the Extended People's Republic of Lanust.

Don't think you'll be voted in on that portfolio Isaac - off to the asylum methinks :yahoo: