Cornwall Football Forum

Tuesday results

Illogan 3rds 0-3 storm

Storm scorers - Annear, Kellow, Charlton

An entertaining, if slightly scrappy match at Oxland Park this evening. First half saw long periods of Storm possession with few chances coming from it. Illogan on the other hand threatened more on the break with Adam Lockwood saving well on a couple of occasions and some poor finishing from the Illogan front line. The deadlock was broken just before half-time, when Will Annear travelled in from the right wing before bending a shot inside the near post from just outside the area when everyone else, including the keeper, seemed to think he was going to cross.

After the break, both teams raised their game but when Ben Kellow raced clear to slot home early on it seemed a long way back for Illogan. The home side continued to play periods of attractive football but for all their efforts the Storm defence held firm and we still threatened to score more with Kellow and Annear looking threatening. The game was put beyond doubt when Rob Bevington slid a ball sideways just inside the Illogan half and Sam Charlton went on a superb solo run and placed the ball into the bottom left corner beyond the keeper's reach.

Would say good luck to Illogan for the rest of the season, but seeing as they are our opponents again on Saturday, it can wait until after then :P

DIV 5

ST.ERME (3) 5 Rapsey 17, 35, Williams 27, 76, Bellamy 89,

STORM (1) 1 43,

Not the best game ever to be honest!! Pretty scrappy but on our pitch its hard to even control the ball let alone string four or five passes together. :( Spirited effort from the Storm lads who got stuck in and made things difficult and also hit the bar at 3-1.We conceded our customery goal right on half time to make life more difficult for ourselves as usual!!! From our point of view, scored 5, missed 5, 2 disallowed mysteriously, 2 stonewall pens not given, and a great display in goal by Ian the Storm keeper, we had a few in and around the six yard box ready to tap in and it would bounce up and hit your knee! Shocking, dangerous really? :o. Credit to Ian though you've still got to keep them out!! Apologise in advance to Newlyn who we host on Saturday unless it pisses down before the weekend. We had a good end to end game at their place before xmas. :thumbsup:

ps) Great to hear wolsty back playing, take it easy Mendy!!! And Ben, nice to keep a clean sheet against your old team no doubt mate!? :clapper:

pitch certainly was a leveller and we were unable to have time to play our normal passing game with it being so tiny. that plus the fact the team were nursing massive hangovers from yesterday's day out at the senior cup final! ! credit to penwith they made life very difficult for us tonight taking the lead twice. ..happy to get the three points

Penwith Exiles 3 (2). Helston 6 (2).

Played on the school pitch as the 3G was un available again. Pitch was a leveller between the sides, Helston came through stronger at the end to take all three points. Well reffed by Simon Way, nice to see him back in the black!

camborne park 4-0 over newlyn dolphins, first half very scrappy newlyn defence stood firm after first 20 minute onslaught and some magnificent saves from there keeper which were even applauded by the players who took the shots! however he was beaten by a 20 yard volley into top corner from ben pearson, a few choice half time words by myself and couple others and second half settled down and scored 3 more, credit to newlyn who at back were very well organised, and the young centre half definitely one for future

scorers :

pete norfolk

ben pearson

reece prout

jordan knuckey

Guest BenTheYeti

Division 2

Halsetown Reserves 0 - 1 St Ives Town Reserves

Return of the Yeti

I have no doubt that this will turn into a novel, even though the game itself wasn't of the highest quality..

If it wasn't strange enough for me to be turning out against Halsetown for the first time ever since I donned an adult kit in 2000, even stranger were the conditions at the Rugby Club.. they were absolutely perfect. Blue skies, just a touch of a breeze (clearly, no one has been putting 50p's in the wind turbine since I left), and a good temperature, combined with a crowd of (I did do a count being the stato I am) 66, gave this the feel of a proper spring time evening derby.
Unsurprisingly, St Ives had a squad of roughly 258 to choose from for this one, with the OAP Scott Goodchild finally finding his way out of the Age Concern centre to make a welcome return to the starting line up. Halsetown, also had a good squad of 15, with a front pairing of Lawrence "The Cat" Kennedy and Chris Goodall with a total of 39 goals between them looking like a decent threat.
Both teams started brightly, with St Ives looking to get the ball on the floor and get it wide to the OAP and Alex Brown, and Halsetown opting for a tactic I am very well accustomed to; Get it to Chris to give to Lawrence and let him run like a greased weasel.
Neither team really threatened in the first 15 minutes, though I found myself using my feet more than my hands as The Cat had clearly been in the vodka again as he forced me into playing sweeper. On one such occasion, and I must admit this is all my fault for leaving my suit of armour at home, he welcomed me back to Halsetown with a friendly shoulder to the jaw at 56mph, which left me chewing more grass than the laughing cow for a few minutes.
With 20 minutes gone, and the freekick tally expectantly starting to mount, one such set piece led to the only goal of the game. Andy Barry got out his isosceles triangle to deliver a ball at a perfect angle between 6 yard area and the glaring setting sun. This caused chaos in the Halsetown area, with young keeper Charlie Boon caught in no mans land, and Barney Poznansky standing at the back post like a kid who's still got Easter eggs left over today, to volley home with aplomb from 6 yards.
To be fair to both teams, and this being a derby and all, the goal didn't change the mentality of either team much, and if anything, Halsetown started to come more into the game, with Jordan Astrinski looking and playing a bit like Carlos Valderrama, and young winger Jack Goldsmith linking well with Davey Nicol down the right. However, our 77th defensive combination of the season (this time, Nathan Bassett returning from a sunny holiday a shade paler, Max Sumray, Mr Everywhere himself Ed Wilkes, and the white Danny Alves that is Noah Tanner) was in no mood to give anything more than a charged down shot or a throw in away before half time. With half time approaching, the OAP's valium started to kick in, and he started to link well with the Ginger Berbatov (I actually heard someone in the crowd call him this.. I am amazed someone even reads these things!), with the latter having a bullet like cross well palmed away by Yeti jnr, who also dealt well with a dipping volley from 20 yards by that man Goodchild.
HT 0-1
The second half started much in the same vein as the first, though those of us in grey were relieved that the sun was starting to set somewhere over Zennor, so we could actually see the ball any time it travelled above 7ft in the air.
Both teams created a couple of early half chances, with Chris Goodall finding space for the first time and fizzing a shot over the bar, and Max Sumray causing his customary chaos and mayhem at the other end with a header from a corner, which came off various limbs, torsos, noses etc before being cleared away whilst we half-heartedly appealed for a penalty.
Now, I believe self praise is no praise at all, but I've pretty much been bullied into giving the next moment of the game it's full description, so alas, I must bay to peer pressure. With 65 minutes gone, Halsetown's best chance of the match came, when captain Matty Staite delivered a wonderful corner that swung in towards the 6 yard box. Anyone whose faced Chris Goodall this season will know of his heading capabilities, and when he rose to roughly 17ft in the air to power a header downwards towards the St Ives goal, the equaliser loomed large. However, at 6ft2, I am blessed with hands nearly as big as my nose, and in a flash of white light clearly sent from God himself (perhaps a slight exaggeration, but hey, this is against my old team), I got down and those really expensive goalie gloves I bought paid dividends in somehow getting the ball over the cross bar.
This spurred the home team on, but also gave us a wake up call that 1-0 at this level is rarely enough, so the game became more open. However, there was a slight lack in the quality of the final ball or shot from both teams, with the only moment of real interest coming when I was again reminded that I was once a Halsetown player when a shower of studs rained down on my left foot (which is a lovely shade of burgundy this evening) and the game came towards the final 10 minutes with any outcome still on the cards.
We entered the final minutes as we seem to do rather well.. nervously, and Halsetown went for the classic 2-1-7 formation just to make it interesting. But we held strong, and Ed Wilkes delighted us all with his 3rd conversion from 3 attempts, and the Ginger Berbatov lived up to his name with a brilliant piece of control and turn, with the resulting shot being well held by my opposite number.

All in all, never a classic, but a fiercely fought derby, with 1 yellow card a piece probably about right (though one Hong Kong Fooey Karate tackle in the first half went unpunished strangely), and once again, the lads in front of me showed 110% commitment to getting ahead and winning this game of football.
On a personal note, after 12 years it was hard leaving Halsetown, but with John Leach leading the reserves as manager, and an excellent blend of youth and (very) experienced, I am glad to see them battling well in every game and getting results, and everyone at St Ives wishes them the best for the rest of the season.

Our customary derby day referee of Grant Porterfield was once again very consistent, and listens to none of the nonsense that either the players or the supporters throw his way, and he gave what he saw what is exactly what you ask from a referee

Cup game against Threemilestone away for us this Saturday, hopefully we all have a good spring of football!

Guest BenTheYeti

On another note, 2 more goals for the man himself Mr Rapsey.. I tell no word of a lie when I say that our referee this evening was hoping that Paul Murphy could do him a favour and let him referee a St Erme game this season, just to see you in action.. I know it gets mentioned every week, but you are sir, a true legend of Cornish Football :c:

Div 5

Marazion Res 4-1 Ludgvan Res

Facing my old team, I have received a barrage of abuse and banter over the last few weeks so i was a bit disappointed that the main antagonist was on the bench. Maybe next time Fitch... Ludgvan probably had the better of the first twenty minutes, playing some nice 1-2's and scored first when a blocked shot fell nicely for their midfielder to volley over our keeper from just outside the area. We were struggling with our normal quick passing game and our key players were failing to get into the game. We had a few chances but failed to make the keeper work. Matty Thomas jinked his way into the box and after rounding the keeper, with the open goal beckoning he managed to blast it over!!!! Shades of Ronnie Rosental for Liverpool I think.

1-0 down at half time the team talk was basic, score early and and put them under pressure, which is exactly what happened. Liam Mooney cut in from the left after good play by Dale Vigus and after rounding the keeper his shot hit the hand of the Ludgvan left back and trickled over the line. The Ludgvan lino then had his flag up for offside which I dont understand as Liam beat a Ludgvan defender and the keeper before scoring so was never in an offside position. Thankfully after speaking with the lino he rightfully gave the goal. From then on we controlled the game and had the majority of the possession and terrirtory, although Ludgavn were always dangerous on the counter. Stevie Hunt then scored the second when the ball was crossed in, he beat his marker with a clever run and sidefoot it past the keeper. Dale made it 3-1 when he got the ball just outside the Ludgvan area, beat a defender and then rifled it with his left foot into the top left hand corner. Dale, who had barely touched the ball in the first half, gave a rousing speech at half team, which echoed Berbatov's "give me the ball and I'll score". Ludgvan had the ball in the net again but it was rightly ruled offside. The game was wrapped up with about ten minutes left, the Ludgvan keeper (who was about 8 feet tall, kneeling down) had to decide whether to punch or catch the ball, in the end he did neither and Matty Thomas nipped in and banged the ball home.

A fair result on the balance of 90 minutes although Ludgvan have probably given us one of the hardest games we've had all season. Credit to John who's built a decent Ludgvan team, which was very different from last season. Although your No 4. could do with being replaced!!! Sorry Tony, couldn't resist.... ;)

The game was well reffed and not too much missed by the man in black. The first of 11 games in April done with Trelander waiting on Saturday.

Eric Sleeman

Jason O'Sullivan

Scott James Mark Hampton

Adam Martin

James Burlingham

Craig Rennard

Sanjay Vadgama

Steve Hunt 1

Dales Vigus 1

Matt Thomas 1 Jamie Mooney

Liam Mooney 1

Haha thanks Ben!! I think the ref would be dissapointed to see an 18 stone 45 year old goalhanger on a concrete pitch but thanks anyway mate!! Some of your best work that! Almost felt i was up the rugby club sitting in the dug out watching the game!!! Great stuff :-)

Cury 0-1 mullion

Well contested local derby much changed mullion side from the last game decent side.

Well Reffed throughout consistent in his decision making.

Cury worked hard as a team on a poor pitch but never really managed to get the ball down and play

On one poor note its a shame only one mullion player managed to make it back to the pub after the game for food and drinks for the 2nd time this season mullion have chosen not to support our club after the game.

Cury 0-1 mullion

Well contested local derby much changed mullion side from the last game decent side.

Well Reffed throughout consistent in his decision making.

Cury worked hard as a team on a poor pitch but never really managed to get the ball down and play

On one poor note its a shame only one mullion player managed to make it back to the pub after the game for food and drinks for the 2nd time this season mullion have chosen not to support our club after the game.

Fair assessment of the game. Cury certainly worked their socks off, but Mullion perhaps had that little bit of quality and pace that provided the difference. That said, Cury belied there league position and showed that with a full squad available they are a tough side to beat. Very young Mullion side still learning but a well contested game. Agreed that Dave Dodson, reffed the game well, fairly, and talked to players explaining decisions (even if all might not have been agreed with).

Sorry to hear only one came back to Wheel Inn Cury, I apologised on the night personally that I had to get home sharpish but agree that with Mullion very close, and most lads living in the area that this is not good enough. To be honest, a sign of youth today getting home to Call of Duty or similar is a priority!

Mullion appreciate teams coming into the club after home games so you are right this should be replicated (certainly on Saturdays, more excusable midweek I guess)...

Thought 'Macca' and young Jordan up front battled hard for you, and with Bucko and Marge in there it was a tough battle for me personally (plus first game since January!).

For me, Jacob Lugg, at back for Mullion was stand out player.

Good luck to Cury - hope the great escape becomes reality...

Deano.

camborne park 4-0 over newlyn dolphins, first half very scrappy newlyn defence stood firm after first 20 minute onslaught and some magnificent saves from there keeper which were even applauded by the players who took the shots! however he was beaten by a 20 yard volley into top corner from ben pearson, a few choice half time words by myself and couple others and second half settled down and scored 3 more, credit to newlyn who at back were very well organised, and the young centre half definitely one for future

scorers :

pete norfolk

ben pearson

reece prout

jordan knuckey

Watched half an hour of this, Jordan Knuckey is a decent player could play Combo.