Cornwall Football Forum

Saturday 25th Mining Results

Guest sweeper

Guest bertie

I know Goonhavern were stuggling for a side this week...even calling me!! family commits probably will kill any aspirations of me playing 4 anyone this season....if the score was like this v Troon..whats it going to be like against Portreath?

Portreath played well yesterday strong at the back alittle shaky at the beginning but came through very strong throughout the rest of the game,

Cowper and duane threatened all the time and the service to them was very good, midfield battled well in all areas and protected the back four.

Teams are going to put a lot of pressure on portreath this year as we are the team everyone wants to beat but they will find us a difficult team to break down.

great result yesterday lads and see you next saturday.

Guest bertie

Tobz...wasn't meant to be disrespectful...I know some of the Troon lads as I've played alongside in 6 a-side couple of months ago...good young lads...but Goonhavern were very under strength due to cricket/holidays which would meant it could of been a little closer...

Guest sweeper

Oh come on Praze no8 not that old chestnut again, <_< this comes up every season and every season the answer is the same - NO PLAYER AT PORTREATH GETS PAID!!!!!

Due to generosity of our sponsors Portreath is a self financing club, this means that we do not ask for any money from our first team or reserve team players for signing on or subs every week.

This does save each player first team and reserves team a considerable amount money every season .

In closing, I will say one more thing, players play for Portreath because they want to, its as simple as that, but if people out there are not willing to believe this, unfortunately there is nothing we as a club can do ?

any particular reason they would not play there??

i think its great playing on the new type astro pitches, no divots or dodgy bounces!

premier sixes played on one yesterday and there opposition seemed to enjoy it, probably be a much better surface than a lot of the lower league teams will play on.

Guest bertie

Thats true Cat...but as a defender...its always lovely to do sliding tackle in the middle of December in 1/2" of mud...can't really do that on astro...it will always feel like playing on bone hard pitches in summer..I've been to hospital a few times with severe grass burns!! :o

to be honest when training for truro last season we always did it and as a goalkeeper yo uare always on the ground sliding and diving and hitting it hard and i never felt any ill effects( but i have plenty of extar padding with a few pounds to many on the waistline so it probably helps me)

the one good thing is that u dont have to worry about the grass being to long!! and when it is hot in the summer its more forgiving than a rock hard bone dry grassless pitch!! of which there are a few in cornwall!

Gents we will not play any fixture on artificial surfaces. Trevenson were told this from the outset. Our feeling was and is that the pitch gives an advantage to any side that plays regulary on it with regards bounce and zip of the surface.

As it was we were first up against Trevenson but the view was that many of the Camborne based players have used the surface before. Certainly no Gulval player has played on it yet.

Incidently of the 15 that played the fixture only 3 players for Gulval had not played 5 or more games for the Reserves last year.

Thats what you get if you cannot offer Senior status when there are 5 senior with 7 senior teams needing players.

We are rebuilding this season but are confident that we can punch above our weight.

I hear what you say Cat and understand the argument however the same argument does not stack up in mid January when everyones pitch is a sticky mess and the astro is still a true bounce.

We as a committee made a decision and have stuck by it. Which by the way is supported by league rules not to enforce a fixture on such a surface if a club does not wish to play on it.

It will remain club policy until I or any other member of the committee is convinced otherwise and we add it as an item for debate at one of our meetings.

I must make clear at this point that it is in no way meant as a judgement of any club that has these facilities at hand. We know from bitter experience how facilities are in short supply.

i see ur point general and it is a good one but it could work as a disadvatage when they go and play at teams pitches that are mudheaps in the winter as they will be expecting balls to bounce and move a lot smoother!

either way someone gets a disadvantage and an advantage. but the people who play on it week in week out will ultimately have the upper hand over those that dont!

training on an astro pitch and playing on it at home games does offer a slight advantage, a player that has never played on one before may be anxious playing on it (sliding in) etc i think that they are amazing to play on as it does bring out a better performance in the player concerned!

Guest postman pat

mining3 Wendron 1 Titans 0. in our first ever competitive game we were unlucky to lose to a goal very late in the game. both sides tried to play football but did not really work the keepers. obviosely we are upset with the results but after all the injuries we have suffered in friendlies we did not disgrace ourselves. good luck to wendron for the rest of the season and with a bit of luck we will beat you at ours :drink: :clapper:

postman pat,

Unlucky for your first game, Wendron can always be a tricky place to go especially if you played on the very top pitch across the fields, I do not know if they still have that pitch. It is not the greatest surface.

Do not get too down hearted as I said to you last Tuesday at our place it takes time to get everything in place. Players have to gel and remember you are new to the set up. I am sure that you will do well but it may take you a season or two to settle and then push for promotion.

Most of the new clubs that turn up in leagues and then go on to get promotion in their first year are not actually new clubs they are normally the clubs that have transferred from one league to another, therefore, they have probably been playing together for a few years.

Hope you fair better next time out I will keep a look out for your result. One thing I expect your lads are looking forward too is the Junior Cup in October I know my lads enjoy Junior Cup ties, however, this year we have a real tough draw as we face Storm at our place, should be a cracker. Who have you drawn?

All the best for the season

Luffy

Trispen

Guest postman pat

luffy thanks for your kind comments i was away on holiday last week so did not get to meet you. i told the lads after the game that we should be judged over the season and not one game.the cat is right we are away to st. day and we are looking forward to the challenge and will hopefully keep the cat busy on the day.at the end of the day we will enjoy ourselves because this is a new adventure.we build and they will come