Cornwall Football Forum

What is your earliest football memory?

This gives away my age far too much! My earliest football memory - as a toddler! - is sitting in front of our Stella TV (remember one of those anyone?) with my dad watching Spurs win the FA Cup to complete the double. I can remember clapping and cheering as well! Been a Spurs supporter ever since - nearly 52 years. My dad has been dead a long time now and he was never much of a football fan. More cricket, really.

I can remember kicking a football against the side of a double decker bus and floating matches in a water barrel. My mothers family lived in that bus as their house was bombed out during the war and they liked it so stayed in it. It was in North Hereford.

They both died when I was two and a half years old. One after the other within months of each other. This means my earliest memory of kicking a ball was at the latest early 1958. After that we moved to Kenya where I played school football, then we came back to Hereford. That was 1962 and I started supporting Everton, The Bulls (Hereford United) and Pegasus Juniors.

http://pegasusjuniors.co.uk/

My first live match was St Just Reserves losing 3-1 to Kelynack in the West Penwith League. But before that, I remember an apology on television because the schedule had been disrupted by the extension of some football match. The television set was in a walnut cabinet with doors. But that was the best of it, as the monochrome picture kept flipping up and down. You had to go round the back and fiddle with a button called the Vertical Hold to try to stop it, but I wasn't allowed to, in case I broke it.

Somebody called Geoff Hurst had apparently scored a winning goal in extra time. My father was concerned that this might make the evening newsbroadcast late.

• 3 months later...

Attending my first live match with my Grandad and two uncles shortly after my 6th birthday (Man City v West Brom, Saturday September 5th 1970). City won 4-1.

I only have one clear recollection of the game and that was the opening goal, which was scored by Albion's Jeff Astle in front of the Platt Lane End, where we were seated.

Oh, actually, I do remember one other thing. At some stage during the action there was a fight in the open bit of terracing between the Platt Lane and the Kippax. I recall plenty of policemens helmets flying about all over the place, which many of the surrounding audience seemed to find amusing.

I'm glad we don't have to put up with too much of that these days!

Orient v Millwall, 24 October 1970 (0-0)

I had probably badgered the old man into taking me to a game after watching the 1970 FA Cup Finals on TV, I had always been kicking a ball about from the age of 2, mum has got the piccies to prove it. My dear old Dad took me to my first ever match when I was 4, it was also the last game we ever attended together, unsure why to this day. Like SteveG above, there was a small incident of crowd trouble, nothing major, and an over-riding memory of a nearby, heavily accented woman, possibly in her 50's, shouting "Come On You Lions" every few minutes.

I went on to alternate between Orient and Leytonstone, who were still a big non-league club at the time. My first 'big time' game was Leytonstone v West Ham, I recall the crowd chanting, "We want Moore, Bobby Moore", he came on as a sub in the friendly that cost 15 new pence for kids. After that in March 1975, a visit to Dads family in Luton coincided with the visit of Leeds United in the old First Division, Luton won 2-1, the official attendance was 23,048 although it should be at least one more. My two cousins went in with season cards, just a bit of printed cardboard, one came back out, gave me the other card and in we both went.

My 1st match was to home park my dad took me there to see plymouth res play spurs res but it was also jimmy greaves 1st match back in this country from playing in italy think it was for inter milan ,i used to love the reserve matches i remember Cive Allen scoring 5 goals for palace res vs plymouth then the game being abandonded due to fog good days

Loads of memories, but 2 come to mind, thie first time I walked up the steps in the gwladys street end of Goodson park and saw the pitch still get goose bumps everytime I walk up those steps, and scoring the first goal in the re built stadium in Kosovo after the conflict for 7 armoured brigade a header straight through the keepers legs, we went on to win 6 nil so that took the shine of it lol

1944 Truro City v The Prisoners of War from Trelisk POW camp

1944 Truro City v HTP Motors which was on Lemon Quay

1946 Cornwall v Portsmouth at Treyew Road, Pompey won 10-1 (Noah Lobb St Austell scored for Cornwall)

Portsmouth were English champions and played all their first team players.

First memory of a full professional game was the 1953 Cup Final which was spoilt because of no subs Bolton were by far the better side but had two players hobbling about for about an hour, nuisance value they use to call it but they were too injured for that, with no subs it meant that Stan Matthews who didn't get a kick first half was free to run down the wing unchallenged. Blackpool's 4-3 win was "The Matthews Final" my Man of the Match was Stan Mortensen who scored three of Blackpool's goals run close by Harry Johnson centre half who kept Bolton at bay when they were rampant.

Kicking a ball against the wall in our backyard some 50+ years ago.

Scoring a goal under floodlights at Penlee park, some 40+ years ago.

Wathching Spurs beat Chelsea in the cup final, some 40+ years ago, which also made me a Spurs supporter, well, no-one is going to support a losing team...are they.

Who did you play for locally?

If I told you ....I'd have to - you know the rest.

Newport County V Bradford Park Avenue 1969.County winning 1-0 with what seemed a very offside goal, & i remember the corner quadrants made of coconut matting used to be brought out before the game ,because the pitch & speedway track overlapped in the corners.

When I was a little'n probably about 8 or 9, we used to go up the rec in Chacewater and play world cup between the corner flag and the bank under the fir trees. We did this probably every home game, hardly ever watching the football! My older brother- John, would of been playing full back alongside Chacewater legend the one and only Nigel Jewell aka Soccerfollower. Great side they had back then, pity they couldn't have gone on to combo footie.

Newport County V Bradford Park Avenue 1969.County winning 1-0 with what seemed a very offside goal, & i remember the corner quadrants made of coconut matting used to be brought out before the game ,because the pitch & speedway track overlapped in the corners.

Yes, I visited this ground some time in the '80's when Stockport County played there on a Tuesday night.

Bit of a strange place, Somerton Park, wasn't it?

Yes, I visited this ground some time in the '80's when Stockport County played there on a Tuesday night.

Bit of a strange place, Somerton Park, wasn't it?

Yes Somerton Park..the dizzy lows of the old division 4.The corrugated sheeting that was the boundary fence had enough gaps in it to make paying optional for us kids.

Cornishhoop

ITV 4 are showing re runs of the Big Match ( Tuesday mornings I think ) some great old memories rekindled for me when I watch them

have watched a couple of these and can see why alardyce loves the route one style of football as that was the way he played and also seen a cracking goal for frank worhington as he scored outside the box from over his head after controlling the ball on his thigh and we cant find players like frank anymore and to think he did not play for england very often how we could do someone like that now

my first memory was the cup final arsenal v liverpool and one charlie george what a player broke my heart when he left for derby county ,1st proper game was plymouth v bournemouth early seventies went with school missed the goal as my mate at the time was more intrested pointing out the skinheads charging at the bournemouth end ,and after the game getting caught up in the trouble outside the ground can remember buying a lapel badge as well

Home Park 1974/1975

Division Three

Plymouth Argyle 2-1 Blackburn Rovers

As a ten year old, travelled to Plymouth with my friend

and his dad, in a ford popular.

Cannot remember who scored, but remember the ground

full to the brim, and both clubs promoted along with

Charlton Athletic.

I think Blackburn finished Champions, but could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

my first big dissapointment watching arsenal lose to leeds 1972 cup final ,my first game watched on a coloured tv at my dads cousins a big itt set i was only 10 years old and surrounded by a load of leeds fans ,can remember trying to stop the tears falling in front of all those people and having my leg pulled about losing have had many dissapointments since following the arsenal but that one burns very deep as i was so young and inexperienced at tasting defeat