Cornwall Football Forum

best referee u havd in ur game

Colin Bennets - played the game knows the game.

Nigel Jewell -very experinced and fair ref

Nigel Nicholls - keeps up with play and uses common sense approach

got to say my favourite ref from the past was alan keast who always reminded me that he was having a better game than i was.....top man :thumbsup:

Paul Windall - Always talking 2 players explaining his decisions and was also voted best ref in the mining leagues two seasons on the bounce :thumbsup: now moved on to a higher level i think?

Paul and several other ref's, myself included,have done the fitness test and so get mainly senior games and lines but will always do junior if appointed. Agreed he's one of the counties best and most respected refs amongst his peers and will be sadly missed if he moves away.

My favourite used to be Alan Barnes originally from Manchester used to own the Monkey Tree holiday park.

Real nice genuine bloke,never spoke down to you and always ready with a bit of banter.

Best one I remember was when I'd missed a sitter and was getting back into position,Alan leant over and said "my dog could have scored that and he's been dead for a couple of years now" !

Other good refs for me were : Nigel Nicholls/Nigel Jewell/Chris Dengler all ex-players .

Guest BenTheYeti

Firstly, Mike Carter all day and the young lad whose name I forget.. did the Halsetown vs Chacewater match. Secondly, am I right to presume this thread was started by a ref hoping to see his own name, and then asked about himself?

All of the above + Maureen Jones,the one and only "Sid", Larry Marsh, Rev Trunks,Alan wallace and Pittys Mum!
Haha my mum loved the banter and always gave abuse back if she received it.....it's that welsh fiery character! She was well chuffed when she turned up to watch a game at blaythorne in the mining league div 2 just as me and one of the stalwarts from Chacewater started throwing handbags at each other in about 98....So proud as I trudged off for an early shower :)

Best Ref for me Paul Windle with mention in dispatches for big George Pattison, Derek Fox, Simon Berryman, Andre Howes & Paul Murphy......to be fair even though I have the odd bitch & moan and occasional feeling of purgatory they are all pretty good at what they do as I know that I would defo muck up loads of decisions if I did it!!! .........just forgot to mention Neil Rudkin is an amazing ref probably the best in the navy and the southwest and the reason I'm saying that has got absolutely no way whatsoever anything to do with the fact we've got him down St Just this weekend :-)

Please remember that a popular referee is not always the best referee. i see from the names mentioned that referee`s who I consider to be really good officials do not get considered. Perhaps there are too many good referee`s to single out a particular person, although you would not think that from the comments that get posted following saturdays games sometimes.

B manning you are always moaning, this topic is praise up refs and u still find a way of dropping in the part of well most of u are moaning sats anyway. I agree a popular ref is not always the best but from some names mentioned above ie porky he will talk to you let you know what he's seen why he has made that decision ie a good referee that players can adhere to, moan at yes but understand his point. Mind you most sats it's difficult to understand porky, not on the pitch around 8 pm in the cricket club :) :) only joking porky, better check the ref list for this sat :)

Dearest Marksy, read carefully I am not moaning in fact I am praising more referee`s than get a mention on a post like this. I tried to point out that a popular referee is not necessarily the best referee, as I have found that there are plenty of really good referee`s around that never get a mention on a post such as this. Keep checking the lists as Porky is a good friend of mine plus you could be getting me at some stage. :)

although you would not think that from the comments that get posted following saturdays games sometimes.

That looks like a moan to me , you are saying quite clearly that you wouldnt think that there were enough refs to be praised because myself and others are always ranting about refs etc, last parts my words of course. Hope to have you soon please introduce yourself as previously stated you will be looked after like a ref should. :) ps we are happy to have porky but its the amount of alcoholic beverage that he consumes which means we all go home a lot skinter if there be such a word :drink: luv u porks

b manning, i think what most people on here are trying to get across is the reason these names keep appearing on these kind of posts, is simple its because the players respect the way these people referee, the way they explain each decision and try to make the game flow and be a good spectacle rather than be about the ref!

i agree its certainly a tough job and every ref deserves praise because its takes a bit of nerve to make big decision in games which could effect peoples ambitions of winning title etc.. and a lot of them get a lot of bashing on here for certain decisions, just some referees who continue to get praise from all teams the other referees should maybe take note as must be doing something right week in week out!

stokefan1, I am not making any comments about the names which keep appearing, all I am saying is that there are plenty more good referee`s doing a brilliant job every match day, I know plenty who are amongst the best I have known who never get mentioned and would not want to be. So I hope you can understand where I am coming from. It`s not a sleight against the names but just trying to point out that every saturday there are lots of "best " referee`s on games.

I am always one for praising refs and do so on regular basis but the referee we had this weekend was I'm the nicest way possible "not the best we have had" :-/ in the game storm v frogpool match. in the first ten minutes he chose to to show his immense skill by ignoring both home and away linesman which obviously made them both feel valued. I heard the Frogpool manager question a decision where we were awarded a free kick which Frogpool had the same incident 30 seconds earlier which went wasn't penalised. At 1-0 up frogpool were awarded a penalty and the our defender got that much of the ball it was almost out for a throw in by the time the frogpool striker hit the floor after being caught the follow through. This was deemed a penalty by the ref who was still in frogpools half!!! Our midfielder then through 1 on 1 was hauled down from behind by a frogpool defender which was judged as a fair tackle :-/ this was at 3-1 up. The next penalty was given to frogpool was described by frogpools number 7 as the funniest penalty shout he had seen. This is not in any way bitter as we won the game 3-2 just hope that those sort of decisions don't cost teams in the future

paulo bestino, so are you saying that as a referee I should take every flag that a club assistant gives has to be acted upon and from your post the referee would appear to be making his own decisions as he is required to do, it does not matter if they were wrong but if he made them honestly then they were the correct decisions.

stokefan1, I am not making any comments about the names which keep appearing, all I am saying is that there are plenty more good referee`s doing a brilliant job every match day, I know plenty who are amongst the best I have known who never get mentioned and would not want to be. So I hope you can understand where I am coming from. It`s not a sleight against the names but just trying to point out that every saturday there are lots of "best " referee`s on games.

yeah i understand but i guess like some referees have certain teams they like refereeing, certain teams like certain referees just way it is

duno bout who the best ref is cos there is alot of very gd refs and a few not so gd 1s out there but we've had a young lad called Sam Mills a couple times this season and hes def got the potiential to be a very very gd ref. he keeps up with play and make quik decisions without and hesitation and if u ask why the foul etc he explanes why hes awarded the free kick etc, boys def got sum tallent hope he continues with the reffing cos he can go far.

• 8 years later...