Cornwall Football Forum

Banned for Assault on Ref and now plays for Penzance?

I had heard that Leigh Murray had resurfaced and was playing again but found it hard to believe. A, that he would want to and B, that any local club would sign him.

Banned on the 21/02/2008 (case 55870934) for an attack on Referee Len Stevens and I quote "causing actual bodily harm" I have to ask the question, how can he appear on a pitch for Penzance ? I note he played in the draw with Perranwell, (thanks CTB for the match report) !

Again how can this happen, especially at a Senior club like Penzance? Does nobody check the list of banned players? Does the League Registration Secretary not check the list?

I am aware of one club secretary who was approached about Leigh playing for his side and he did the necessary checks and refused the signature.

Has the game sunk so low that this can happen? Even if he had appealed and won who would want to be associated with a player who would do that.

Penzance! Thats who! And it stinks!

I trust the point you won on the day was worth it !

Mike Stevens

Guest BenTheYeti

Having played with him for a number of years at Halsetown, I know two things..

1. He doesn't deserve to play again, ever.
2. He uses two names, Leigh Murray or Leigh Irving

The last I heard, he was appealing his lifetime ban at the CCFA Head Office, with the view of getting overturned and playing for Halsetown again, I believe he may have attended 1 if not more training sessions at the time in question.
From what I saw on social media, he had his ban successfully overturned, which led to some surprise on my behalf, as well as others.
Whether or not he asked to sign on for Halsetown, I do not know, I wasn't made aware of it and I was the secretary at the time. When I next enquired about him, I was told he had gone to Penzance. So my thought was that he had indeed has his ban uplifted...

Mike, I can understand your feelings about this matter but can honestly say I had never heard of Leigh Murray or his previous "form". I was asked to arrange a transfer for him from Halsetown to Penzance before Christmas and had no reason to check the CCFA Suspension list - I would have assumed the club he was registered with would have advised if there was a problem. However, having been alerted of a potential problem by your posting, I have contacted the CCFA Office and have been assured that the ban was lifted and that the list has now been amended.

Because we were unaware of the history, we have not discussed the situation as a Club - but that is something we are now able to do.

Guest BenTheYeti

Mike, I can understand your feelings about this matter but can honestly say I had never heard of Leigh Murray or his previous "form". I was asked to arrange a transfer for him from Halsetown to Penzance before Christmas and had no reason to check the CCFA Suspension list - I would have assumed the club he was registered with would have advised if there was a problem. However, having been alerted of a potential problem by your posting, I have contacted the CCFA Office and have been assured that the ban was lifted and that the list has now been amended.

Because we were unaware of the history, we have not discussed the situation as a Club - but that is something we are now able to do.

I was unaware he ever signed for Halsetown.. perhaps it was after I left the club in November

Guest BenTheYeti

Just made a phone call and can back John up on this one.. he was cleared to play (under both names) back in November.. signed for Halsetown in December (after I'd departed), and subsequently transferred to Penzance.. all above board.

Be it on the conscience of the CCFA to unban someone who did something so heinous

This does get worse not better. So the up to date list dated 18/1/13 to 14/4/13 was in fact out of date and an appeal was successful in NOVEMBER !!!

And how did the appeal go..."sorry I will not do it again.....!!!!" YOU SHOULD NEVER GET THE CHANCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!

He assaulted a referee, on the field of play !

What have we payed all those thousands of pounds for to the FA if A they cannot protect those officials we desperately require, and B they are unwilling to keep us updated of the status of their incredulous decisions.

I say it again. IT STINKS!

Mike Stevens

Just checked the CCFA website and the list hasn't been updated.

Shows the kind of club that Penzance has turned into. So desperate for players they now take on thugs like him, who assaulted one of the nicest guys in football. Frankly I find it disgusting and horrifying that the ban was uplifted. I also find it very surprising that nobody at Penzance had heard of the incident in question, it was very well known at the time.

Shameful! :(:SM_carton:

Leigh Murray is a dedicated servant to society. He has done a numerous amount of charitable work and has worked hard to remake his name as after playing many games with him in my fledging career, I know he is a genuine bloke and he deserves a second chance.

Should someone be banned for passion? It was a highly important game and tensions were high, had there been a ballboy about, I'm sure he would've got a kick.

I met Leigh whilst helping out in Al Capone's homeless soup shelter and may I say he is the most genuine person you will ever meet.

Shows the kind of club that Penzance has turned into. So desperate for players they now take on thugs like him, who assaulted one of the nicest guys in football. Frankly I find it disgusting and horrifying that the ban was uplifted. I also find it very surprising that nobody at Penzance had heard of the incident in question, it was very well known at the time.

Shameful! :(:SM_carton:

You used to play for this club Adam, and even played this season, so you are contradicting yourself a bit here? You do not know giz and so do not comment on what you do no know about. Yes the club is suffering, and this down to people like you, but giz has every right to play for us. You are a joke

Chill out Mike, what's done is done, I'm sure your no saint,we have all said and done things on the pitch that we regret, no 1 more than me , it happens, I've felt like punching a ref on several occasions,I haven't mind you. and I expect there's plenty of refs who have felt like doing the same to a player,Is deliberately breaking some 1s leg worse than punching the ref. not for me,but the suspension is,. Lenny is loved by the gulval boys so I understand we're your coming from,but he has served his time,. did Cantona get 5years for the Kung fu kick on a spectator, no . why not. let it go, Luke McCormack is back playing and he took 2 young lives away..

it is easy for a player to hide behind his team but the ref is on his own.have any of you do gooders reffed a game and felt intimidation from players.and before you say send them off that would come after the incident,once you have had to compose yourself.ohh and then carry on with the game so you do not let the other 21 players down.

it is easy for a player to hide behind his team but the ref is on his own.have any of you do gooders reffed a game and felt intimidation from players.and before you say send them off that would come after the incident,once you have had to compose yourself.ohh and then carry on with the game so you do not let the other 21 players down.

I see the sarcasm there! :)

Years ago I did a Sunday morning game, and when showing a player a red card, a spectator ran on to the pitch, came up behind me and knocked the card out of my hand. Match abandoned, without any hesitation. Club received a hefty fine but agreed with my decision, as did both sets of players. Had I carried on, all match control would have gone.

Very early on in my refereeing career, a much more experienced Referee than I was saying that, in an incident like the one I experienced, you are left with no option but to abandon the game.I silently disagreed with him, but as I gained experience, I saw that he was right.

Wouldn't it be a show of respect for Lenny and of disgust at the CCFA's decision if all refs refused to referee any game in which this thug is involved. Problem solved, the clubs would soon get rid of him!

That's a great idea with only one floor. Any Ref with aspirations of climbing up the ladder would proberly shoot themselves in the foot as the CCFA would certainly take a dim view.

What the CCFA should look at is, is it better to support the Referee's and lose ONE player or let him play and possilbly lose SEVERAL GOOD REFEREE'S.

To Me it's a no brainer, support the Ref's.

Here in London a few month's back, a player got 6 months prison for assaulting a ref. this guy should count himself lucky to have only got a small fine.

It seems that I have at least inspired debate in all quarters with my personal views on this issue I think some are distorting the reasons for my initial post.

It was not clear that the FA rule for appeal had changed which allowed this lad to re-register. I refer to page 441 14.5 © or I wonder what mitigating circumstances there were to make it necessary to shorten the ban.

The successful appeal did not warrent an update of the published banned list that the FA publish.

It appears that the CCFA have no system to advise a victim of assault by a registered player. A disappointing oversight surely.

I do not want referees to not show up. Why punish the vast majority of players for the actions of one thug. I want referees and players protected by the laws of the game.

In short I am disappointed that the system does not appear to protect victims of violence in our game.

We all have fall outs with the opposition during a match, or feel hard done by, by the referee or lino, and its not unusual for even a quiet chap like me to lose the plot for a few seconds,

but anyone who feels the need to attack an official deserves at least a ten year ban or even longer in my opinion. Especially involving a mining league legend and true gent like Lenny Stevens. We all know how desperate we are for referee's at grass roots level, so it makes it even more important to protect them.

If the rules allow an appeal after five years - and the player is successful - then he can play.

I personally don't agree with it, but thats the way it is at present. This is an amateur game and no place for assault of any kind, wether it be against a player or particularly an official.

Raise your hands and off you go with the resultant ban. Simple solution - change the rules, assault against an official - life ban - no appeal.

so what would of been the out come if this player -who iv never met or heard of b4-hit the ref as stated n then got a kicking off the ref ???

also is the ref still reffing or did he jack it in?

Lenny has still been reffing up until recently even though he's not been well. He also has the respect and full backing of all his colleagues at the west penwith branch of the RA.

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Adam George and I play football for Pendeen Rovers Football Club. I would like to apologise for a previous post on this forum. At first it was an attempt to wind up the '2nd number 9', Jordan, an ex-team mate and supposed friend. Clearly this has backfired spectacularly leaving myself and close friends and family deeply embarassed. If I may address some of the issues this ill thought out post has caused.

1. I have no knowledge of the person that this thread is about, therefore I have absolutely no cause to put forward an opinion, let alone use the word 'thug'.

2. I am not, nor ever have been involved in the running (managerial, coaching or administrative) of any sporting organisation. Therefore I am in no position to pass comment on their recruitment policies in these tough times.

3. Yes, I totally agree with Jordan Anderson, Penzance are struggling and after being asked by John Dent and Bryn Wheeler to return to the club, I did so. Unfortunately my form at the time was not very good and I (apart from being another number) was in no way assissting their plight. I asked Pendeen if I could return and spent several weeks on the bench attempting to regain my place.

If I may conclude by again sincerely apologising to anybody that my post may have caused offence to, predominantly all of the hard working people at Penzance FC, particuarly John Mead.

Regards, Adam George.

P.S. If i could ask Richard or another administrator to delete this account please.

Cornwall is a parochial place and the result is corrupt nepotism. Penzance are excellently connected in the game's administration and media. The slipshod CCFA decision taken in relation to this player would have been utterly different had he remained with Halsetown or Sennen, in which case the five year ban would have remained in force.

While no referee should be assaulted, what happened to Len Stevens causes particular outrage, as he is universally popular with players and supporters. Moreover, he is not a brandisher of foolish cards to boost CCFA coffers, nor a careerist desperate to curry favour with the establishment in hope of appointments to cup finals or minor promotions. No surprise, then, that the CCFA allows Penzance FC to treat a good man, who has served the game well, with contemptuous disregard.

Both bad apples belong in the same rotten barrel.