Cornwall Football Forum

Sad news - Ernie Hooper

Dave Deacon

Sorry to report that Ernie Hooper passed away yesterday.

I understand that he hadn't been well for a while and obviously from all connected with Cornish football, condolences to his family and friends.

Ernie will be better remembered by players from, I guess, the 1960s and 70s era along with those who have been connected with the County as he became heavily involved taking up duties within the CCFA.

His former clubs consisted of Newquay and I think possibly Truro, but perhaps those either closer to him or with a better memory can add to this.

RIP

I was really sad to hear this news yesterday. As Dave said Ernie had been ill for quite a while, but it has still come as a big shock to lose such a great man. My thoughts go out to Zena, Darren, Kevin and all the family x

Pete and I grew up with Darren and Kevin, Ernie’s sons and he was so passionate about football, as well as most other sports. I think Ernie was probably the most competitive person that I have ever met – he didn’t like losing anything!

I played cricket with him at Grampound Road in the late 80’s and early 90’s and although this was his second sport he was as passionate and competitive as ever. As young players playing alongside him he was a role model, his philosophy was play hard but fair. He would never give up and he always enjoyed having a drink in the bar and reflecting on the game.

I unfortunately never got to see him play football but I know when he went to watch Darren playing he would always have a pair of boots in the car ready to step in if needed! He was one of the most enthusiastic and fittest people that I had ever seen.

I believe that Ernie was born and raised in Perranporth and played for Newquay for a number of years, as well as representing Cornwall. He used to reminisce over his Newquay days when he played alongside players like Mike Beckerleg, Dave Streat and Stuart Lentern to name a few. It sounded like they had a great team, with a fantastic spirit, who had a lot of laughs along the way. I am not sure which other clubs, if any, Ernie played for.

Ernie would ferry us all around the county to watch SWL matches (quite often Newquay games) when we were kids and he always came across several people he knew at most grounds. He was also a member of the CCFA and I know how passionate he was about this county.

In summary Ernie was a top man and a good friend who will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him. RIP Ernie x

Chris Davey and family

Ernie served as Chairman of the CCFA Youth Committee from 1994 to 2004 and in that time presided over two South West Counties Championship sides in 1994/95 and 1998/99 as well as the first ever winners of the SWCYC Knockout Cup in 1999 /2000.

He was totally committed to the cause and was very proud to be the Chairman and to see the County youngsters performing so successfully. He was a true friend and i will never forget the support he gave me as the County Youth Secretary.

My sincere condolences to his family.

Wasn't Ernie also a former Chairman of the Cornwall County Football Association and an Area Representative?

I seem to recall a rather difficult AGM that Ernie chaired a few years ago now up at Trevarthian Road,St.Austell,when John Ryder was Secretary.

I have known Ernie for many years and he was,indeed,a lovely man who always remembered you and had time for a few words.As Chris says,he did grow up in Perranporth and i think had a brother who also played football.

Condolences to his family and friends from myself and all at Chacewater FC. Very sorry that i am unable to attend the funeral.

Wasn't Ernie also a former Chairman of the Cornwall County Football Association and an Area Representative?

I seem to recall a rather difficult AGM that Ernie chaired a few years ago now up at Trevarthian Road,St.Austell,when John Ryder was Secretary.

I have known Ernie for many years and he was,indeed,a lovely man who always remembered you and had time for a few words.As Chris says,he did grow up in Perranporth and i think had a brother who also played football.

Condolences to his family and friends from myself and all at Chacewater FC. Very sorry that i am unable to attend the funeral.

S/F you are correct. He did a one year stint as Chairman, in an around the mid 90's. And was the area rep for the Truro Division thoughout the 90's. Don't have the exact dates to hand.

I would like to echo everything Chris has already said.. Ernie was my first football coach where we used to train every Sunday morning down at Grampound no matter what the weather. He was without doubt, the most committed sportsman I've ever played with or been coached by. He set the example and expected everyone else to follow. Having spoken with David Bray this morning, we talked about an occasion when I played county youth football in 96/97. Ernie at the time was our county youth chairman and we played Hampshire at Newquay where we drew 2-2. As is accustomed with each county youth match, we had an after match meal at a hotel just along from Mount Wise. Ernie felt so strongly about the referees performance that day, he started his chairmans speech by thanking the referee and lino's for turning up but that's as far as the niceties went. It's fair to say, the next 10 mins of his speech were spent slating the officials performance which I think cost us either the south west youth title, or progression into the knockout stages! Thankfully he didn't feel the need to slate me as I missed a penalty in the game that may or may not have put a different slant on the final result and his subsequent speech!!! Just one of many stories that I will remember Ernie for.. My love to Zena, Darren and Kevin at this time. R I P Ernie Pete Davey

Always enjoyed Ernie's company on the long coach trips playing away for the county and going to places like Sussex in peak traffic! Ernie always had an interesting story to tell from his playing days and team mates, the likes of Streater, Brian Philp and Brian Biggin etc, and would always give you an honest assessment of the game and your performance on the trip back as well, good or bad!? Chris and Pete have already paid great tributes to Ernie and I'm sure all of us that had the pleasure of time spent in his company will echo those thoughts. Absolute gent! Love and best wishes to all the family at this sad time. X

I hold great memories of youth football with Ernie and enjoyed every single moment. A man who immediately got your full attention at all times with his broad knowledge of the game and his honest evaluation and assessment of both your team and individual performance. A huge influence on many of us and I have nothing but upmost respect for what he passed on to us all.

A sad moment for Duchy sport but more importantly a massive loss for his family and close friends.

My condolences on behalf of all his team mates at Illogan RBLFC from when we were in the SWL. Ernie came to Illogan as manager taking over from Roger Toms and I remember him as a true gentleman in all his dealings with people off the pitch - but when he crossed the white line - He set an example which many would do well to emulate now - highly competitive whilst always encouraging his teammates -. RIP sir

I did not know Ernie, well before my time. Having read Sandra Biggins excellent 'A Mixed Bag Of Peppermints', it was clear that Ernie was a prolific goalscorer, albeit the majority from the penalty spot. He was part of the Newquay side that made the last 32 of the FA Amateur Cup in 70/71 and scored several goals during that run. I'm sure that the old stalwarts of the club including Sandra, will be saddened by the news.

Regards to the Hooper family and friends.

Many thanks to everyone who has sent messages about Dad/Ernie it means a great deal to see how much of an impact he had on other people's lives and not just my own and the rest of the family.

Dad suffered from Huntington's Disease for the last 10-15 years and passed away peacefully after being fed, shaved and going for a little jog on Tuesday at his Care Home with Mum by his side.

I would like to write more abut my dad but feel this is not the time.

Dads funeral is on Wednesday next week at Probus Church 2:30 followed by some drinks at the Comrades Club, it would be great to see loads of people there who knew and played sport with Dad and be great to hear some stories about the old days.

Thanks again everyone

Kevin Hooper

It was with a great sadness that I heard that Ernie has passed away. Ernie and Zena were great friends of my late husband Brian and myself. I have many lovely memories of the time we all shared at Newquay Football Club, when the players were a closely knit family on and off the field of play. My thoughts go out to Zena and her sons, rest in peace Ernie.