Cornwall Football Forum

Best Player In Combination Football

Luke Wort shouldn't be playing at this level, he's as good as any player in the SWPL Premier. Proved it at Truro many years ago, and again a few weeks ago at Newquay. The problem is I don't think the Combo tests his ability, and he strolls through games. He knows my thoughts on him playing at that standard, and I'm not being disrespectful to the Combo, or anyone playing in it, but he is pure class.

Nothing personal against any of the players named but are any of these the so-called big fish in the little pond - with the exception of Neil - he would be a big fish in any pond lol. It would not be difficult for a player to drop down from the Peninsula League standard and stand out in the Combo League.

Nothing personal against any of the players named but are any of these the so-called big fish in the little pond - with the exception of Neil - he would be a big fish in any pond lol. It would not be difficult for a player to drop down from the Peninsula League standard and stand out in the Combo League.

Read the Topic headline !!!! no mention of SWPL.

Read the Topic headline !!!! no mention of SWPL.

I have read the headline!!! My point, if you read my initial post, was the question whether players had dropped down to the Combo or refuse to step up to the SWPL, hence the big fish in little pond comment. (Note to myself - use monosyllabic words in future lol)

Matt rose easily up there with the best! Over 8 seasons has won player of year nearly every season at perranwell last year picking up every award! Scores minimum of 20 goals a season form midfield but easily as good at left back centre back and up top!

Last season Matt Rose scored 5 goals in the combo, 2010-11 scored 1 for Perran, 09/10 scored 8, 08/09 scored 11,

That's 25 combo league and cup goals in 4 seasons or an average of 6 and a quarter.

So far this season 3 league and one cup goal for a total of 4 from 18 games. To score 20, he'll have to get his scoring boots on!

Look back further Cornish teddy boy I'm sure he use to score loads! I stand corrected on the goals scored in past few seasons however is a class player! Look back to the seasons where we had Jon blundell in the team now ( easily best player to play in the combo) I'm sure Matt scored a lot of goals that season! Happy new year anyway and thanks for the correction !

Neil curnow class act always has been! Year in year out!! But at this present time with the likes of Gossie and Robbo plying there trade at Goonhavern and Hodgey at ST Ives I think it would be very hard to not say that's probly the top 3 at the moment!!!

Happy New Years guys

Xxxxxxxx

As a CB its easiest to comment on the strikers i have marked this season.. Gavin Perraton has been by far and away the best, good movement, pace and finishing. in the 2 games we played against them he scored 3 from i think 5 shots. He only started playing there last seaon too he said.

Dommo is a good striker but he has always played for one of the best teams in the league...... if he was playing for a mid table side he would score nowhere near as many, he needs the service to put it on a plate for him.

Luke Wort in my opinion has in the past tended to hold on to the ball to long, havn't played against him for a year or so though so this may have changed.

At Perran Matt Rose ends up playing so many different positions, a lot of the time filling in a full back but mainly centre mid. If he did play upfront all season every year he would score loads like he did the one year he was with John Blundell, but due to his versatility he gets shoved around everywhere. Still in my opinion one of the best players in the league.

Glen Carew always seems to have a good game at the back for Pendeen when we play them.

just want to see who you guys think are the best players and player in the combo, been alot of debate about it lately and need to tie it up...i know who i'd put my money on

Treve Williams from St Just is a good youngster. Only 18 but has 10 assists and 10 goals to his name. He is running defences scared with his pace and skill combined.

i think keeper wise barry at illogan ryan gendall at st day defence got to be justin miles st day and glen crew is decent to midfeilders has to be neil curnow for sure lewis ellis isnt bad and there is 5 or 6 good strikers that are consitant at this level dommo , luke wort , gerrens james ludgvan , gavin boon danny ford st day , jowan may is still scoring so there is plenty of players that shouldnt be playing this they need to step up really!!!!!!!!

If we're saying best player ever, here's 2 that take some beating. Graham Allen (Mullion) & Norman Ashe (Falmouth Town). Certainly the best two midfielders I've ever played with, and that includes SWL. Norman was at the tail end of his career when he played Combo for us at Falmouth, but the ex Villa & England u21 was something else. Graham year in year out turned down approaches from SWL clubs, he did play a few games for Truro under Tony Roberts, but only if Mullion didn't have a game. At the time there was talk of him playing for the county, but the powers that be said he couldn't while only playing Combo. Their loss, as he was probably the best midfielder in the SW in the late 80's after moving down from his native Leicester.

If we're saying best player ever, here's 2 that take some beating. Graham Allen (Mullion) & Norman Ashe (Falmouth Town). Certainly the best two midfielders I've ever played with, and that includes SWL. Norman was at the tail end of his career when he played Combo for us at Falmouth, but the ex Villa & England u21 was something else. Graham year in year out turned down approaches from SWL clubs, he did play a few games for Truro under Tony Roberts, but only if Mullion didn't have a game. At the time there was talk of him playing for the county, but the powers that be said he couldn't while only playing Combo. Their loss, as he was probably the best midfielder in the SW in the late 80's after moving down from his native Leicester.

Graham Allen the Socrates of Mullion.

Cheers Bash! But spot on Stevo. I couldn't be considered for this, not that I think I should be anyway!! I only played regular Combo aged 15-19 and then 36-38, all the other 17 seasons were spent in the south western league give or take a few games for Exeter and Halifax and a broken foot and mangled knee ligaments here and there! Got to say it was a real tough league mid to late eighties, Penryn, Porthleven, Mullion, Helston and Perranwell were packed with quality players, a lot better sides than some i played against in the SWL back then easily. Stevo and Bash will remember those good days before they had the worries of management. :-). X