Cornwall Football Forum

Portreath afc will go all the way this year in the junior cup whether they will win it is up to Mawnan i think they are favourites. I have seen and played in the junior cup final and i know what is needed to win it and this year Portreath have strength in depth where as last year we obviously didn't and took a weakened side down to mawnan who beat us 4-2 and went on to win the cup last year.

My prediction portreath junior cup winners and mining league winners and dunn cup and maybe torch cup.

Anybody else got an opinion....

Guest Vixster

Obviously a biased opinion Daz, but the work we have been putting in behind the scenes over the last few seasons (can't believe this is my 4th season with Portreath!) has made us into a very strong, solid club. I would love this year to be the one that takes us into Senior football - kicks off on Saturday!!!

after watching the mining select game the other day i was very inpressed and glad i dint play, to be embaressed! you will be favourites for the league no doubt but i feel mawnan will be to strong for you in the junior cup! have a great season boys, and you never know i may get the odd game for storm! :drink:

You may have a strong side for a mining league division one side daz but im sure that the junior cup may just be out of your reach, Your a very good side with lots of talent but do not ever under estimate the junior cup as it has a funny way of throwing up supprises every season, Beware fella and to come on here saying that takes bottle.

Good luck to you all though in your quest for a clean sweep and i hope you make senior football next season. :thumbsup:

Hi cockerkneeboy yeh i know the junior cup does from time to time pulls off some surprise results but for the last few years the best teams have won it as St day and Mawnan have proved. All i am saying is that we have a great chance this year if we can avoid Mawnan until the area final as i see them as favourites with the experience in depth they have as well as a few good youngsters, but this year we will be more of a match for them as we ran them close last year with a last minute put togethre defence.

ANYWAY MATE BEST OF LUCK FOR THE SEASON AND UP THE HAMMERS!!!

DAZZA.

So Mawnan were the best team in Junior Football last year were they? I don't think!!

Port should have won that with the side they had last year, and they proved they were a class above by winning the FHL1 at a canter.

Portreath are a good side, they do well to attract players such as Duane Britton down there on a yearly basis, when he could be playing Combo or the league above, whatever that is now called, so they've got something down there thats for sure!

I am honoured to be involved with portreath afc we have such a great bunch of players at the moment who are all good friends and work hard for each other . And i cannot fault the club set up and the way it is managed . The club is almost geared up to become a senior club, but we have to work hard on the pitch to achieve it, you dont get nothing for free especially in football and there are alot of good teams around this year who will give everything for success.

Bring on a good season

Quite a bold statement Daz....but you seem to have put the cat amongst the pidgeons,

everyone will be out to beat Portreath,not only because of the success of last season but

that 'POST'.

Mate, its ok being confident but it does seem a little arrogant to me (my opinion).

As a newbie to Portreath I agree with Rob & feel the club is going the right way.but lets do it quietly

& hope for good results & decent perfomances.

Good luck to all - The season starts Saturday....any idea who's playing who?

Guest BenTimmo

Lol, no, they certainly don't seem like senior pitches... or at any rate, not senior pitches of any quality! Just wind tunnels so far as I can remember!!

Guest sweeper

I don't know the last time you were at Clijah but a lot has changed since last season.

The council have created a purpose built senior pitch behind the changing rooms, complete with concrete block dugouts and railings around the pitch. In fact they seem to have spent a small fortune on all the pitches in the close season. All four pitches have had the goalmouths and centre circles returfed, new goalposts complete with box nets are to be put up next wednesday, the changing rooms have been repainted and revamped and the carpark done. With all this work having been done I don't see why the senior pitch at clijah would not be accepted and as far as the wind tunnel comment I have played on Aggies pitch and the St Ives pitch down on the saltings and a few others that could be classed as wind tunnels when the wind is in the right direction.

I would like to set the record straight. First of all, all the council pitches have had money spent on them in the close season. That includes football and rugby. We have even helped out the big clubs in the area such as Camborne, Redruth rugby clubs. We even help the local cricket teams. So all in all everyone will benefit that plays on council sports pitches. We have over the years been criticized for not doing much and when we do we still get the same result.

As for the senior pitch at Clijah that comes to the two clubs at a lot higher cost to each team. Redruth and Portreath will play £800 per season for the next two years and that’s for one team each. I have spoken to the other user and explained that if two more wanted to sign up to same type of deal then that would be possible. This is all self finance over the next two years and will not be out of the council tax players. Last season we help lots of other clubs in the area by letting them use the council pitches so they could fulfil the back log of games. Lastly Clijah changing room were built in the 70s and have very little done over the years which most would agree and needed a good paint through etc. I hope this will help answer some of the question and rumours going around. If any one wants to know more then ask me.

We project plan two to three years ahead and will continue to work towards more improvements at other sites, making sure that we encourage sport and other recreational active in the district. I would like to ask everyone that uses the facilities to treat them we a little more pride e.g not banging your boots against the changing room walls etc.

Guest Postie Pidge

Why can't the council do work on the Dracaena pitches in Falmouth, they've been shite for years. £800 is pretty cheap compared to what one local club pay for pitch use

i think the biggest problem portreath will have is getting there heads out of there ass,seen it all before big ideas,trelawney afc,storm was predicting south western football in 5 years that was 7 years ago.portreath playing 3 miles from village no club house .and lets be honest we know why certain players are there without that portreath woudnt attract anything.

I think everyone concerned in football should applaud Kerrier Council for there efforts in trying to put something back into grass roots. For once it is good to see a local authority listen to their community.

Clijah needed updating and in this age of cut backs, the council have put their hands in their pockets and given back to not only those who play football but also other sports. It would be nice to see Carrick doing the same for their pitches in Falmouth and Truro.

In regards to Portreath good luck to them, I hope it all works out. Every club should have the ambition to go further up the leagues, however, there are alot of barriers in the way to climb out of junior football, which I hope in the future for the sake of the game and the pyramid system will eventually be removed and this county will enjoy proper promotion and relegation between all the leagues.

It seems that any club that has ambitions to better themselves in this county get slatted, is it envy or could it be that others just do not have the nerve to look to the future and take a risk, it is a hard question to answer.

Meady

I've read what you have said and I compliment you on getting things done, however, I can't help thinking that had you not been involved with Portreath, would this work have been carried out?

As a former player, and having played around the Kerrier area, you must admit that the council owned pitches have been neglected to such a degree that in some instances, they were dangerous. And this is not just a fault of Kerrier, most councils have been complacent. Perhaps the unitary authority will change things.

Referring to the pitch at Clijah, behind the pavillion, has any work been done on the playing surface, especially up in the top right hand corner, where the water is renowned for building up?

Sorry you wrong about the fact it’s only been because of my involvement with Portreath. I have been doing this for way over 10 years. Like I said the senior pitch will pay for its self with the income £3200 over two years. That’s what it cost to do. That price will continue there after and the income from then on will be use to improve other areas etc. Even in the private sector that a good business plan and a very quick return on capital outlay. As for the top corner we still have the problem but no where as bad has it use to be. As for the unitary authority bit I have no idea what the future holds. I would like to think that they will still promote council own pitches. All the bottom pitches and Illogan Park have all the major works done. This is a three year programme so the next year three other will have work done. All in all we have 25 pitches to look after that’s a lot. That includes some high level clubs lets hope the Pirates stay here that helps me and the budget a lot. Like you said safety is paramount to all this and I think Kerrier is leading the way on this. Anyway I am going to stop now it feels like I am still at work and it’s a bank holiday weekend

Meady

You may have been in your present role for the last 10 years, but tell me, what improvements have there been at council owned piches in that time?

I haven't been to any of these pitches recently but I certainly remember Illogan Park, the pitch where Castle United play at the top of Roskear, Clijah before the present work, the Old Reservoir - Raymond Road and the old Camborne Town pitch. Very little was done for many years. The goal mouths were rutted and dangerous and goal posts lop-sided, to think of just two.

People will draw there own conclusions as to why a now junior club has already gone some way towards improving a council owned pitch when there does not appear to have been a similar initiative taken before now.

it would take all day to explain the reasons. you are more than welcome to give me a call on this (mobile 07977206791)

Camborne town play on a private pitch by the cricket club

raymond is now deemed not suitable to hire out due the pitch spending most of the time under water.

i did say this is programme of works which we put together due to some of the pitches being so bad. all we can do is to try and keep inproving things. one thing at least we are trying.

Meady

As I have said, I compliment you and indeed Portreath for your vision and indeed initiative. We don't need to talk on the phone, action is always greater than words. The proof will be "in the eating of the pudding," with better grounds in the Kerrier area.

Clearly your actions will set a precedence for other clubs who similarly aspire to greater heights and ultimately, it can only be for the good of football.

I wonder, are we potentially going to see football knock rugby of the mantel as the no.1 sport in the Kerrier area?

you would have to blast some bloody big holes through the bottom first. it was built along time ago to keep water in and bloody thing still doing it.

christ i must get a life. i myself don't think that football will overtake Rugby in cornwall let alone Kerrier, but i would say that being harden vets player and first love being rugby. sorry lads

postie the top pitch right handside going up the steps is the senior one. all the rest of the clubs sort theirselves out on the day. They say that the bottom ones are the best but come winter they are all the same in my opion

Guest Postie Pidge

I played at Raymond Road last September and it was the best pitch I played on probably all season - but then that was before the rain came!

On the pic and going by last season:

Pitch 1 - Portreath

Pitch 2 - ?

Pitch 3 - ? and Oxford Inn (Sunday)

Pitch 4 - Carharack

the nom is

bottom right in front is spice or four lanes

next to it is mt ambrose or carharrack

right behind the changing rooms is redruth 2nds or portreath 2nds

and the other is the senior pitch setup

one thing i would like to add if one of the other teams ever had the chance to go combo. i would look at changing things to try and help them go up e.g move things around. i am sure we would find away some how. St day done it ok on one of our pitches

Just a couple of things Meady, firstly Roskear Park where New Park Rangers and this season Cornish New Boys will also play, is in a terrible state. I've heard that the goal areas were to be re-turfed before September the first, so maybe you will be sorting it out this week, but there are also other areas of the pitch that are now just stones and earth! Can you confirm that Roskear will be sorted or are you all out of funds?

Secondly, I had the pleasure of officiating on what is now your senior pitch, last season and I have never come across a pitch that holds as much standing water, surely that has got to be a worry again this season?

Have no problem with you helping clubs progress, but it surely cant be at the expense of other local sides!

Some good points but ive got to agree with meady. Theres no point building senoir pitches for average sides or teams in mining 3. If there were more sides pushing senoir football, im sure there would be some form of help for them.

Secondly, i was at clijah almost every week last season and i cant remember that top pitch retaining that much water. I walked the dog up there today (yes i had a carrier bag with me) and its looking pretty good. Time will tell i suppose.

:c::c: :c:

In regards to not building senior pitches for average sides, is that if they are prepared to pay for the pitch so they can have a better playing surface, then this might attract better players therefore giving them a chance to step up through the leagues.

The idea of council pitches is to serve the community ie all teams and not just one. If a team can afford to use the pitch it does not matter what level they are they should have the right to use the pitch.

We are trying to sort out roskear pitch. The only problem being the teams wont stay off of it. every Sunday thers been games up there or training. with summer we've had no wonder its so bad. you have to got try help us by giving it some rest. We took the goals down three times chained them together and still they were put back up. What more can we do?

Fair point there luffy. Although to be fair the new pitch at clijah shud benefit Redruth Utd aswell, as they are pitch sharing with Portreath.

They are a new side to mining one with limited resources and if they eventually do well and push for senoir football due to the new pitch and its appeal, im sure the council will look at improving other pitches in the area based on their sucess. But as i said before only time will tell.

It good to see a club and its members rallying around and advancing the club. At the moment we are waiting for our new club house to be built we have everything in place. Should start building it in September and it is hoped it will be ready by the end of April.

The biggest problem we have at Trispen is the pitch but we can not do much about it. The cost to level it will be between £200,000 - £300,00, however we certainly could meet all the other requirements for senior football once we have the new facilities. We will just have to do it bit by bit. Without major sponsor ship we have to rely on the hard work and effort of our playing fields committee.

However, everytime I see a small village advance into the senior ranks it does give me heart that with alot of effort and hard work we may make it one day.

St Day's n1 before you say to much about the help St Day have or have not received you need to speak to your committee. I am sure they wouldn.t what to much said at this moment on the forum.

you cant honestly say that it will benifit redruth united! can you ever see them being a senior side?

An interesting post Mr 8!!!!

Doesn't really show a club that has now been around for 15 seasons much respect, does it? 'ever' is such a long time!

I currently have no immediate plan to take Redruth United to Combo standard and upwards......

......Then again, 2 years ago if anyone had asked me whether I would have a Reserve side, I would have said not. I was happy being a one-team club. But times change and I do believe now that with the support we have, we can move onward.

I'm all for small steps forward, not giant leaps, and I have made decisions for the club that I believe will bring us a further small step forward.

Who knows what could happen in a few years. It might be 5 years, maybe 10 but I believe that with each step forward, I am improving the club....

...and if that brings 'Senior' football to the club at some stage then I would be very happy.

For that reason, I took the decision to join in a partnership with Portreath at Clijah Croft because, for me, I believe it represents a great opportunity for the club to progress.

Short-term, your posting was right on the nail.....longer term, perhaps a little naive.