Cornwall Football Forum

Sporting attitudes

Is it me or has attitudes changed towards our sporting opponents? Everyone seems so quick to argue and dispute every little point.As an ex referee and player for many years I'm shocked at some of the so called banter between teams now a days. Is it down to the so much televised pros setting a bad example? Last week for example i was visiting a friend at Saltash and happy to learn there was a local match on so braved the cold and rain to watch. It was a cup match and the higher league team were temporarily behind, a young lad under 20 very clearly conceced a throw but complained very verbally to the referee that he had not.(I would and I'm sure the referee if he had not been standing in the centre circle would have surely sent him off if he had heard it clearly) This is where i said yes you know it came off you, to which the reply was ...f*** off you f****** bell end. Now undoubtedly this young man was a very good player but such a shame his attitude and manners were so bad. Not one of his team members on the sideline even raised an eyebrow but i was disgusted at his behaviour. So young O'Reilly (hope i spelt your name correctly) of Saltash in the Duchy premier I hope you are proud of yourself.

smashin pumpkins you are probably right, and it is not a pointless post it's no wonder nobody hardly turns up to watch these matches. He most definately was a Saltash player may have been Riley. Referees are hardly plentiful at the moment and it's hardly surprising with the abuse they get. The point of the fact is that the game should be played in good spirits without the attitude and swearing at people watching just isn't right in anyones book. If you know this young man maybe some friendly advice may help.

thought the the ref that did the St Merryn vs altarnun game was the best ref that ive seen ref a game in many years he was a good credit for how a game should be done and its a shame more refs aint like him as can have a laugh with players but still be firm and fair with the decision making quality bloke look forward to watching him ref for st merryn in future

I'm going to agree with big bucks. I'm the mangager of Grampound FC in Duchy 1 and we get complaints made to our committee members regularly about the foul use of language from players and supporters.

We are trying things to ensure our players keep swearing to a minimum (it happens with frustration) but we cannot be held responsible for the opposition.

We now get no village locals and families coming to our game or even coming to the neighbouring park when the football is on.

Having played Rugby to a good standard we need to take a leaf out there book and start showing respect to all officials, fellow players and bring back the beautiful game.

Just a point from me to how bad its gone I took my young children to football yesterday as my partner is on her hen day (no babysitters available). One substitute for the opposition was swearing profusely at our substitutes and players using every word under the sun only for me to then see his 4-5yr old daughter was standing behind him.

playmaker10, i have to disagree with the comparison to rugby in my personal experience I did a football game at a local rugby ground which also hosted a higher level game of rugby.At the end of the game i heard the home rugby team calling the rugby official every foul and abusive word known to myself, this in full hearing of supporters, i will,add not in the hearing of the official, so all I am saying is that football is not alone with this problem.

I'm going to agree with big bucks. I'm the mangager of Grampound FC in Duchy 1 and we get complaints made to our committee members regularly about the foul use of language from players and supporters.

We are trying things to ensure our players keep swearing to a minimum (it happens with frustration) but we cannot be held responsible for the opposition.

We now get no village locals and families coming to our game or even coming to the neighbouring park when the football is on.

Having played Rugby to a good standard we need to take a leaf out there book and start showing respect to all officials, fellow players and bring back the beautiful game.

Just a point from me to how bad its gone I took my young children to football yesterday as my partner is on her hen day (no babysitters available). One substitute for the opposition was swearing profusely at our substitutes and players using every word under the sun only for me to then see his 4-5yr old daughter was standing behind him.

have to agree with some of what you said, would of hated for my kids to be at our game today at trevenson, foul language from the players supporters and management of the home team, have been around long enough to know that goes on in football matches, but that was the the worse i have heard, along witht the thugs who were just intent on deliberately fouling on every oppurtunity, did not make more a pretty sight either. A difficult game for the ref to handle to day, but think he did very well under the circustances, one red card could of been a few more mainly for the language directed at him. And i feel while we are talking about the negative aspect of sporting attitudes, i must commend our young helston team on their positive sporting attitude, no one reacted to what was going on during the match and did not get invloved or stoop to their level, they kept cool heads and concentrated on playing football, well done boys a credit to helston football club

playmaker10, i have to disagree with the comparison to rugby in my personal experience I did a football game at a local rugby ground which also hosted a higher level game of rugby.At the end of the game i heard the home rugby team calling the rugby official every foul and abusive word known to myself, this in full hearing of supporters, i will,add not in the hearing of the official, so all I am saying is that football is not alone with this problem.

Agree to a certain extent but the difference is that you don't hear any foul language or abuse towards the referee on the rugby pitch because players know that it will be immediately dealt with. You could argue that it's pseudo-respect for the referee as players may well 'eff & Jeff' about the referee afterwards but at least you don't hear it on the pitch so gives the impression of 'respect' at least.

Rugby is very often played 'on the edge' (or over it!) so if players can control their language surely footballers can or are they a different breed?