Cornwall Football Forum

Taxi for Wenger

Well, I can't disagree with much of that. The main point I was trying to make was really with regards to Wenger and Arsenal. There is certainly opinions out there that he has finally "lost his touch" and Arsenal need to move on with someone else to win trophies. I know that the sarcastic replies will be to "keep Wenger" as Arsenal are in reverse etc etc. But really, looking at the complete picture, and unfortunately taking into account the business side of football, I don't think they should get rid of him. For a start, who is going to replace him....?

The sad fact is, Arsenal will be one of the teams each year who will be capable of winning the FA Cup and the League Cup, they will have a better than average chance of the PL title, considerable chance of a top 4 finish, and a punchers chance in the CL. The chasing pack have caught up, and we are now in the mix with Spurs and everyone else you mentioned. I hope that Bayern knock us out of the CL as I do not see us winning that competition this year, so the most important thing is the PL top 4 finish.

We have some good youngsters, and nice to see some of them signing up for a few more years (although how much is a contract worth these days in football?).

I put Spurs chances of top 4 higher than Arsenals, and with Manchester claiming the top 2, and Chelsea not yet hitting the downturn I keep thinking they will, I think Europa is on the cards for the Gunners next year - with Wenger still calling the shots!

Mangle "I hope that Bayern knock us out of the CL as I do not see us winning that competition this year, so the most important thing is the PL top 4 finish"

Mangle ur obviously a committed gooner, and your posts are well thought out and reasonably presented. Could you therefore explain the enigma that has come about in modern football whereby the above statement is heard more and more frequently across europe. To summarize, your hoping to be eliminated from a competition to have a better chance of qualifying for said competition next year. Im sorry ive tried, but for me it makes no sense.

Well, I can't disagree with much of that. The main point I was trying to make was really with regards to Wenger and Arsenal. There is certainly opinions out there that he has finally "lost his touch" and Arsenal need to move on with someone else to win trophies. I know that the sarcastic replies will be to "keep Wenger" as Arsenal are in reverse etc etc. But really, looking at the complete picture, and unfortunately taking into account the business side of football, I don't think they should get rid of him. For a start, who is going to replace him....?

The sad fact is, Arsenal will be one of the teams each year who will be capable of winning the FA Cup and the League Cup, they will have a better than average chance of the PL title, considerable chance of a top 4 finish, and a punchers chance in the CL. The chasing pack have caught up, and we are now in the mix with Spurs and everyone else you mentioned. I hope that Bayern knock us out of the CL as I do not see us winning that competition this year, so the most important thing is the PL top 4 finish.

We have some good youngsters, and nice to see some of them signing up for a few more years (although how much is a contract worth these days in football?).

I put Spurs chances of top 4 higher than Arsenals, and with Manchester claiming the top 2, and Chelsea not yet hitting the downturn I keep thinking they will, I think Europa is on the cards for the Gunners next year - with Wenger still calling the shots!

I will add to my comments.

If Spurs are to finish in the top four,we must keep Gareth Bale,fit, for the whole season.

It was a pleasure to be at Villa Park to watch him.

With another world class Dutch midfielder on his way to White Hart Lane soon.

I am confident.COYS.

Mangle "I hope that Bayern knock us out of the CL as I do not see us winning that competition this year, so the most important thing is the PL top 4 finish"

Mangle ur obviously a committed gooner, and your posts are well thought out and reasonably presented. Could you therefore explain the enigma that has come about in modern football whereby the above statement is heard more and more frequently across europe. To summarize, your hoping to be eliminated from a competition to have a better chance of qualifying for said competition next year. Im sorry ive tried, but for me it makes no sense.

Qualification for the CL means 10's of millions of income. Good old money - the driving force behind football. To enable a team to at least attract interest from top class players, I think they need to be in the CL. Think about it.......clubs like Olympiakos, Monpellier, Benfica, Celtic - really no chance of winning the competition, but would give their right arms for qualification each year. Although I am not putting Arsenal in quite the same bracket as some or all of those clubs, they are in a similar position right now - perhaps a higher chance of winning it than those mentioned, but still a tall order.

Don't get me wrong, if Arsenal were making a better fist of it in the PL right now, I would be hoping that they beat Bayern and progress (and by the way, at the time of the games, I will be willing them to win big time in the CL!!!). But the chances of winning the competition is slim, and the PL is tough this season, we are in danger of finishing well outside the top 4, so I personally believe that the main priority is the top 4 finish - qualify for the CL next year, KEEP our best players over the close season period, and perhaps attract one or two big names. Make a better go of it next season....

That's the overall idea (but like any fan, I want me team to win every game). Head rules the heart when the game is not being played - come the start of the 90 mins, the heart takes over!

• 4 weeks later...