Cornwall Football Forum

Taxi for Wenger

Surely it's time for " la proffesseur " to call it a day.

The man has been responsible for assembling teams that have played the best football from an English club that I've seen but that was a long time ago.

I'm watching some of the dross he's purchased over the last few seasons ( Koscielny, Chamakh & Arshavin ) going through the motions.

They're an embarrasment to Wenger and to themselves

Who's the clown in goal ? Wenger couldn't spot a good goalie if he smacked him on the nose

Walcott - Behaving like a 10 year old and not even trying

Old Beetroot face wouldn't accept it - Why should wenger

Arsenal need a new face, new ideas and a new direction in the transfer market - ie You pay the top proven performers top wages, th rest of them ( see above ) a decent basic with performance related enhancements.

Bye Bye Arsene - It was great for a long time but all I see is a long battle with mediocrity if he stays

Ther'es no doubt i was a little premature last night - Walcott may have been the man of the second half & extra time but in the first half he couldn't be arsed

The introduction of Giroud changed the game ( and obviously a rocket from Wenger at HT )

I stand by most of what I said though - Wenger doesn't dare let Chamack , Koscielny etc loose against Man U etc - See where they are on saturday - Bench if lucky

While we're on it - If Jenkinson is the next England full back then god help us

I keep reading how he's improved - Yes - He's gone from dreadful to average

Brianmooreshead , although I'm not a Arsenal supporter, can you suggest a replacement for Arsene Wenger?

He has consistently kept Arsenal in Europe, financially sound due to not paying extortionate wages and competitive to attract talent to the club.

Even Manchester United is being vastly outspent by Manchester City at the moment, that is not sustainable. I think in a decade’s time, history will look back and say Wenger’s legacy has given the club a solid foundation to build on.

Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson and David Moyles are a rarity in top class football now.

If you take a look at sports in America they get rid of the team not the head coach unfortunately this is something you cannot do in British football as the players are considered too much of a commodity.

Arsene Wenger is the best man for the job. His hands are tied somewhat, trying to bring in players of quality and hang on to the best he has whilst balancing the books. He's been hamstrung by some poor decisions from the board, for example not pricing the naming right on the stadium highly enough and entering into long sponsorship deals that suited the club at the time but look downright miserly now. Arsenal cannot hope to win the league until the mortgage on the stadium is paid, we should just be patient.

http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/arsenal-song-remains-same.html

This is a good article going into some detail exploring the financial results published recently.

I stand by most of what I said though - Wenger doesn't dare let Chamack , Koscielny etc loose against Man U etc - See where they are on saturday - Bench if lucky

That might be true, but can you honestly see Sir Alex starting Ji Sung Park or Nani on Saturday? Manchester United have their own set of overpaid under-achievers.

And as for Spurs, their best striker last season other is an Arsenal reject who was there on loan. I can't see Spurs breaking into the top 4 unless FFP hamstrings City and Chelsea.

That might be true, but can you honestly see Sir Alex starting Ji Sung Park or Nani on Saturday? Manchester United have their own set of overpaid under-achievers.

And as for Spurs, their best striker last season other is an Arsenal reject who was there on loan. I can't see Spurs breaking into the top 4 unless FFP hamstrings City and Chelsea.

Has Sir Alex put in an emergency loan for Park? Last I heard he was a QPR player so I'm guessing he won't be playing for United on Saturday. He was one of Sir Laex's favourites to play against Arsenal though and I seem to remember him scoring several goals against them.

X

You were very very lucky to make the champions league last year, may not be so lucky this time.

Looks like you may be also rans again this year, get used to it. 7 years now!!! or is it 8 ???

I'll say it before you, I'm used to it. ho ho ho!

Richard

I don't really have a specific individual that I think should / could replace Wenger.

I accept that whoever follows him has a hard task, but I am of the opinion ( like many gooners I think ) that he's gone as far as he can with them.

They obviously don't have the financial muscle to compete with the big three anymore and that means they are in effect a selling club.

One little thing i saw just now though, one of Arsenals anonymous fancy dan foreign players ( not sure which one they're all so similar ) swapped shirts with Van Persie AT HALF TIME !!!

Perhaps Arsenal need the type of manager that might say to him " You like his shirt so much you can sit in the dressing room for the rest of the game looking at it " - just a thought !

PS - Can someone please explain why when the Man U youngster put his hands up in the box - Play On - When it happens at OT three days later - It's a penalty

Or is it purely a geographical decision ?

Cue many irate mancs complaining that more goes against them than for them

Father Xmas, Jolly Green Giant, Red Bore, Bogster, Abramovic, Psycho, Robin Graves......I've heard-em all.

OK, the first book, now out of print, was "Unruly Members", an apocalyptic narrative set in the fictional village of St Gimbal, where a family of thugs called the Oddies do battle with a coven of alcoholic prostitutes with occult powers until St Gimbal collapses into abandoned tin workings.

The second is called "The Rock" and is about a wandering Methodist preacher . I haven't decided how to kill him yet, but it will have something to do with football, I expect.

Novels are for fun. It's my Vogon Poetry I take really seriously. :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

What more is there to say ? - Scraped through the last round. Knocked out by a fourth division team in the next

I almost felt sorry for Wenger last night, but this over rated and overpaid assembled collection of misfits is all his doing. In September we were told that Cazorla was the new Fabregas ! Really ? Not if you've seen his recent performances.

Arsenal seem to have acquired a german international forwards identical bone idle twin brother - As Lucas Podolski looked to be a real player whenever I'd seen him before.

Aaron Ramsey has to be one of the most over rated players I've ever seen, There's an 8 ft tall spindle of a centre half who has no idea how to distribute the ball out of defence and last night lost almost every header !

Finally up front poor old Gervinho looked like one of those blokes who's won a competition and gets to play twenty minutes for a famous team.

Who or what ever convinced Wenger that Gervinho was good enough to play at the highest level of English football

Time for the Arsenal boardroom ( although they have neither the inclination or the spine ) to say Arsene - " Your'e fired )

2003-2004 Arsenal team:-

Lehmann, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Cole, Ljunberg, Viera, Gilberto, Pires, Bergkamp, Henry

2012-2013 Arsenal team:-

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Wilshere, Ramsay, Cazorla, Coquelin, Podolski, Gervinho

OK, you can't expect to always have a team of the 2003/2004 quality, but Arsene has completely messed up the rebuilding of the side. Fergie has rebuilt his team 3 or 4 times whilst continuing to win trophies.

Mangle

Take the flippancy and the ( attempted ) humour away from my post and what can you possibly dispute. That performance was an embarrasment. Not for the first time this season either. Man Utd away and Swansea home revealed the lack of backbone in this team. This is a fine example of overpaid ( mostly foreign ) mercenary type players. Wenger scouted them, recruited them and has failed to mould them into a team. Don't insult me by saying I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Arsenal have had some lovely teams over the past twenty years and the fans have become accustomed to success. They've been spoiled really.

I'm saying that all good things must come to an end, your blind faith in Wenger is touching, but naive - Face it mate he's lost whatever it was that he had

Happy Xmas

Mangle

Take the flippancy and the ( attempted ) humour away from my post and what can you possibly dispute. That performance was an embarrasment. Not for the first time this season either. Man Utd away and Swansea home revealed the lack of backbone in this team. This is a fine example of overpaid ( mostly foreign ) mercenary type players. Wenger scouted them, recruited them and has failed to mould them into a team. Don't insult me by saying I don't have a clue what I'm talking about. Arsenal have had some lovely teams over the past twenty years and the fans have become accustomed to success. They've been spoiled really.

I'm saying that all good things must come to an end, your blind faith in Wenger is touching, but naive - Face it mate he's lost whatever it was that he had

Happy Xmas

Change your font size to 14 please. I will not have to squint then - I am oldler you know!!!!!

Mangle

Happy Xmas

I disagree. Money rules football, Wenger does not control the purse strings at Arsenal. So the players are overpaid? One of the reasons Arsenal cannot keep the best players, or attract the best players in the world, is their wage structure. At other clubs, where there is no wage structure, the players can negotiate better rates of pay. Money rules. No longer is there the "Top 4" we all talked about only 1 or 2 years ago. It's virtually not even a "Top 3" - Chelsea appear to be struggling to keep up with the Mancs, despite the Russian owners bottomless pockets. Arsenal is being run as a successful business. Not great for winning trophies, but its hardly winning trophies these days, its more like "buying them".

You mention recent losses to Swansea and Man Utd. What about other results this season, winning away at Liverpool, a good away draw at Man City (should have won it), thrashed West Ham away and Spurs home. Forgotten them? Arsenal are presently 7th in the Premier League, only 5 points behind Chelsea in 3rd. They have a better goal difference than all but 3 teams in the PL (the top 3). They have qualified for the knock-out stages of the CL. Time for a change of management? I don't think so.

I take it you read the papers and believe the rubbish in them. Make your own mind up - don't get taken in with all that tosh.

Bradford v Arsenal.

Arsenal 71% possession.

Arsenal 34 attempts on goal (Bradford 10)

Arsenal 13 corners (Bradford 3)

Why is this performance embarrassing? Yes, the result does not look good, a true upset. But these things happen. Bradford scored, and hung on. Well done to them. Is that the end of cup upsets, I doubt it.

Mangle, your bang on about the money, but Arsenal aren't exactly paupers.

60,000 at every home league game, TV and Champs league money soon add up.

Everything that you read in the papers is not nonsense you know, Directors are apologising to fans for that performance against Bradford. If you weren't alarmed by that performance then your'e easily pleased.

I also agree that Arsenal is a wonderful financial model ( and most of what you have now is as a result of Wengers abilty ) but I've never met a fan who'll pay good money to watch a business.

Too many of Wengers recent signings have been below par. And they don't come cheap either.

Don't you feel that Walcott is worth a lot more money a week than Gervinho or Chamakh - Because Arsenal don't seem to

Van Persie is a quality player - Probably the difference between 1st and 2nd in the league ( and yes he's on more than Arsenal can afford ) Where Arsenal are losing out now is that the elite players don't feel they'll challenge for honours at Arsenal ( even though they'd make more appearances )

Please don't think I underestimate what Wengers done for English football in general and Arsenal in particular, but all empires crumble, and I think your'e seeing the last days of this particular one

RVP was sold for football reasons!

Arsenal are the example of everything that is wrong with modern football. It's a business now rather than a football club, most expensive seats in the league, massive corporate tier in the ground, cushions on seats! The place is soulless! It's no co-incidence that arsenal haven't won anything since they left Highbury.

They're a well run business though

Mangle, your bang on about the money, but Arsenal aren't exactly paupers. 60,000 at every home league game, TV and Champs league money soon add up. Everything that you read in the papers is not nonsense you know, Directors are apologising to fans for that performance against Bradford. If you weren't alarmed by that performance then your'e easily pleased. I also agree that Arsenal is a wonderful financial model ( and most of what you have now is as a result of Wengers abilty ) but I've never met a fan who'll pay good money to watch a business. Too many of Wengers recent signings have been below par. And they don't come cheap either. Don't you feel that Walcott is worth a lot more money a week than Gervinho or Chamakh - Because Arsenal don't seem to. Van Persie is a quality player - Probably the difference between 1st and 2nd in the league ( and yes he's on more than Arsenal can afford ) Where Arsenal are losing out now is that the elite players don't feel they'll challenge for honours at Arsenal ( even though they'd make more appearances ) Please don't think I underestimate what Wengers done for English football in general and Arsenal in particular, but all empires crumble, and I think your'e seeing the last days of this particular one

RVP was sold for football reasons! Arsenal are the example of everything that is wrong with modern football. It's a business now rather than a football club, most expensive seats in the league, massive corporate tier in the ground, cushions on seats! The place is soulless! It's no co-incidence that arsenal haven't won anything since they left Highbury. They're a well run business though

At last some points well made. I agree, Arsenal can no longer be "expected" to win the league, or cup etc. The "business model" they are operating will not allow them to do that. They can still manage to be one of the big teams, but the gap is now closed between them and Everton, Newcastle, Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle and so on. I really do not like the fact that Arsenal have not won a trophy in the last 7 years. But look just who has won the domestic trophies in the last 10 years......

FA Cup:

Chelsea, Man City, Chelsea, Chelsea, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Arsenal.

League Cup:

Liverpool, Birmingham, Man Utd, Man Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd, Chelsea, Middlesborough, Liverpool.

Premier League:

Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Manu Utd, Man Utd, Man Utd, Chelsea, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd.

Arsenals "empire" has crumbled, there is no doubt. I certainly have not been on here banging on about Arsenal being the best team in the world. I merely think that getting rid of Wenger will achieve nothing. We still have a "punchers" chance in any game of football, against any team (just like Bradford). Going back to realistically, concentrate on a top 4 finish now. The league position is everyhting - not even the FA Cup matters as much as the league.

I really think arsenal will have the last laugh, there financially sound, I know they've not won anything of late, but that comes at a stupid cost, these foreign owners will get fed up one day no doubt, it will all change, you'll see, I'm no arsenal fan either, but they consistently qualify for Europe and knockout stages, and I expect you'll go on a good run around Xmas, it could be a lot worse.

Back in 1995 ( I think it was ) Arsenal took a huge gamble by signing a manager unproven in English football and at the time was coaching in Japan.

The rest is history

Arsenals board need to try and repeat the tactic. sSmewhere out there is the adventurous and ambitious coach that Arsenal need. It's clear ( to me certainly ) that Wenger has lost the ability to motivate his players ( this particular group anyway ) and to me its the beginning of the end.

I just don't buy this " We can't lose Arsene " line - It suits the directors, as the " business " is steaming along well, it suits Wenger, who " allegedly " is the highest paid manager in the Premiership.

But if I was an Emirates season ticket holder - I'd vote with my feet and my wallet - The fact that they don't says what loyal fans they are - But that can't last !

Im sure the Wenger bull----,will be in full swing after the Goons scrape a flukey 3pts at Reading on Monday.

Presumably, you will state a slight retraction of your earlier words? Flukey? I don't think so.......

From the BBC Sport Website:

<<Arsenal started to heal the wounds inflicted by the Capital One Cup humiliation at League Two Bradford City with an impressive win at Reading. Lukas Podolski gave Arsenal an early lead and the Gunners were four up on the hour mark after Santi Cazorla became only the third Spaniard to score a Premier League hat-trick after Fernando Torres and Jordi Gomez. Reading, utterly outclassed, raised the prospect of the most unlikely comeback as Adam Le Fondre and Jimmy Kebe scored twice in the space of five minutes. But Theo Walcott, impressive in the central striker's role he sees as crucial to his Arsenal future, snuffed out any Reading optimism with a composed finish that sends Arsene Wenger's side up to fifth place in the table.>>

Arsenal now have a +13 goal difference, only bettered by Man City and Man Utd, the best 2 teams in the PL.

Massive achievement for Arsenal beating Reading! I did not expect them to beat the team bottom of the Premier League, who have only won against QPR and have the worst goal difference. If Arsenal can beat Reading they can beat anyone! :yahoo:

Miss Mangle is good with the Wenger bull----,as well.

Some win,now everything in the goonland garden is rosy. :D

Massive achievement for Arsenal beating Reading! I did not expect them to beat the team bottom of the Premier League, who have only won against QPR and have the worst goal difference. If Arsenal can beat Reading they can beat anyone! :yahoo:

Sorry, But you said "....after the Goons scrape a flukey 3pts at Reading on Monday". You are accusing me of bullsh*t. Seriously, look at your own comments. As for "everything is rosy"....did you not read what I have actually written in this thread....."Arsenals "empire" has crumbled". My words...or are they the bullsh*t you are referring to? Nice to have a balanced debate with you guys, not. It's a shame that you cannot come back with something relevant for a change. The fact that Spurs, your team, has the best chance in years of finishing above Arsenal should give you a better position to debate from. We are "even" now. The Big 4 has gone. Read my posts and comment on them as opposed to the cr*p you come out with.

Let two in against :o :o Reading, MMMmmm !!!!!! looking good :P

Great point you make. However, the PL is decided on goal difference if teams are tied at the end of the season. Arsenal won 5-2 at Reading, Spurs managed a 3-1 win. So Arsenal retrieved a result with a better goal difference. I know what i would prefer.

We like 5-2 results, don't we :Santa:

Sorry, But you said "....after the Goons scrape a flukey 3pts at Reading on Monday". You are accusing me of bullsh*t. Seriously, look at your own comments. As for "everything is rosy"....did you not read what I have actually written in this thread....."Arsenals "empire" has crumbled". My words...or are they the bullsh*t you are referring to? Nice to have a balanced debate with you guys, not. It's a shame that you cannot come back with something relevant for a change. The fact that Spurs, your team, has the best chance in years of finishing above Arsenal should give you a better position to debate from. We are "even" now. The Big 4 has gone. Read my posts and comment on them as opposed to the cr*p you come out with.

Having a bad day or a bad season ???? Get over it, us Spurs boys have been having a bad season for years - enjoy.

Miss Mangle,calm down.

Wait till us Yids finish above you this season.

Ill be giving you,and the rest of the Goons,s--t all summer.

COYS.

Miss Mangle,calm down.

Wait till us Yids finish above you this season.

Ill be giving you,and the rest of the Goons,s--t all summer.

COYS.

You go boy - I may join in :thumbsup:

Careful SSS, you may get ahead of yourself like Mr Spurfect did last season. He shot his bolt a little early, and the poor little thing couldn't bring himself to come here anymore. What a last day of the season it proved to be. A great away win at WBA. You recall that? I am level-headed enough to know that it will be a close run thing this year. I'm not "worried" about Spurs finishing above Arsenal this season, I'm worried that Spurs, Chelsea, Everton, and possibly others will too!! But we won't know until May (or possibly a little earlier - depending on how things go).

Anyway, since you seem incapable of a real debate, I will stoop to your level and just say that Arsenal are much better than your team. We are ace. Na Naa Na Na Naaa! lol

Careful SSS, you may get ahead of yourself like Mr Spurfect did last season. He shot his bolt a little early, and the poor little thing couldn't bring himself to come here anymore. What a last day of the season it proved to be. A great away win at WBA. You recall that? I am level-headed enough to know that it will be a close run thing this year. I'm not "worried" about Spurs finishing above Arsenal this season, I'm worried that Spurs, Chelsea, Everton, and possibly others will too!! But we won't know until May (or possibly a little earlier - depending on how things go).

Anyway, since you seem incapable of a real debate, I will stoop to your level and just say that Arsenal are much better than your team. We are ace. Na Naa Na Na Naaa! lol

There, thats better.....feel that tension going.

Well I am level headed,as you are Miss Mangle.

So here is my point of veiw.

Spurs first.I am more than pleased,at our position at the moment.

New Manager,new system's new players and injuries to key players.

AVB is settling in and the squad adapting.Injuries are clearing up.Bale and Dawson back yesterday.Parker ,BAE are virtually there,and Kaboul wont be long.

Dont think we will be to busy in January.

Now down to the rest.

The top two will be the Manchester Club's.They seem to have the rub of the green more than the rest of us.

Third and fourth,is going to be a right old scrap.

Chelsea ,Tottenham,Everton,Arsenal,and W.B.A. are the ones at the moment fighting for the places.

You would say,W.B.A. will fade.

Dont think Everton have got the squad in depth,for along campaign.

Arsenal will beat the rest,but not to sure,when the big games come around.

Plus,I know you will think this is mad,but staying in the Champions League for a while ,could prove a burden,in the League.

Chelsea,if they have a good Transfer Window,they will get 3rd or 4th.

So I will put my honest neck on the block.Chelsea,will have a good transfer window.So they will get 3rd.Spurs will get 4th.

A very Lilywhite Xmas,to you all.