Cornwall Football Forum

Calstock v Roche Res

Roche travel to Calstock this afternoon, (2-30ko) Duchy League 3, which will be a hard fought game for the visitors as the home side are always strongest this time of the year, which bewilders me why for the last 3 years running we are away to them? Anyway despite losing 3 regulars Roche are deep in strength and a half decent pre season will ensure a good away performance, full match report tomorrow, after hangover! :c:

Calstock 0-0 Roche

:( After nearly 2 hours of travel Roche finally made to Calstock, why we have to play there in summer season ill never know, when there are clubs on our doorstep, anyway Roche started the game brightly on a waterlogged pitch! chances were coming thick and fast and only good keeping from Calstocks no.1 kept Roche at bay with Steve Masters getting on target on numerous occasions, but conditions were wet and greasy and any mistake by either keeper would be punished, but Roches keeps Jon "the Cat Collins"was in fine form as well, the visitors controlled the game for long periods and the home side were on the back foot for most of the game and if wasnt for the poor state of the pitch Roche surely would have taken all three points, but overall a solid performance by everyone especially the midfield trio of Ross Burnett, Capt.Richard "Tevez"Higgins and Matt "go through a wall" Wilcock, also thanks to Malcolm Thomas who came down from holiday to play, also a sad farewell to Paul Blackie, one of the new boys, who is flying the flag for our country in the Falklands. Things are looking up this year for Roche,so beware.......

Roche are: Jon Collins,Malcolm Thomas,Steve Martins, Paul Blackie,Ross Burnett, Richard Higgins(capt),Matt Wilcock,Tristan Smith,Ryan Lean,Karl Rance, Steve Masters, Jamie Masters,Alan Meades, Shane Buckingham, Dan Knill, Chris Arnold and Paul Jollife(assistant manager)

REGARDLESS OF THE LACK OF GOALS, DON'T TELL ME THE TRAVELLING TIME WASN'T WORTH IT; A BEAUTY OF A LITTLE TOWN AND A PRETTY GOOD PUB, TOO.

Q. HOW MANY BALLS WERE LOST IN THE TAMAR ??

Q. WHAT IS THE ESTIMATED ANNUAL COST OF LOST BALLS FOR CLUBS LIKE CALSTOCK OR GUNNISLAKE ?

I don't know about other clubs along the Tamar but whenever we have played at Calstock they seem to end up playing with old kick-about balls because all the good ones are over the fence on the river mud. Here at Grampound the Fal runs alongside our ground. In the summer it is usually only a few inches deep (but not this summer!) so no problem. In the winter though it is often 3 to 4 feet of really fast-moving water. After heavy rain it can be a real torrent.

Last season, I think our two teams lost seven balls between them -- plus about 4 youngsters whose job when sub it is to go in after them (only joking about the youngsters before the pc brigade get onto me).

Guest Postie Pidge

Would Calstock be the team who lose the most balls over the course of the season?

When Mylor played in the village, their ground is on the river so they'd lose a few. In Scotland, Arbroath's ground is by the sea so I can imagine they'd lose a few too.

Any others?