Cornwall Football Forum

Exiting Europe.

same as last year when Utd and City didn't qualify for the knock out stages! the English style of play isn't as good as that of abroad. Utd are good because they score goals, they're shocking at the back, even with Ferdinand or Vidic. But... the aim of the game is to score more than the opposition.

Mancini is just completely tactically unaware when it comes to the champions league.

same as last year when Utd and City didn't qualify for the knock out stages! the English style of play isn't as good as that of abroad. Utd are good because they score goals, they're shocking at the back, even with Ferdinand or Vidic. But... the aim of the game is to score more than the opposition.

Mancini is just completely tactically unaware when it comes to the champions league.

United are only winning in europe because the teams in their group are on a par with the English 2nd division, City are in a group with 3 potential quarter finalists and City are still wet behind the ears in europe. The seeding is wrong. How can the champions of England Spain and Holland all be in the same group when teams that are not champions are in easy groups? Seems a little manufactured to me.

United are only winning in europe because the teams in their group are on a par with the English 2nd division, City are in a group with 3 potential quarter finalists and City are still wet behind the ears in europe. The seeding is wrong. How can the champions of England Spain and Holland all be in the same group when teams that are not champions are in easy groups? Seems a little manufactured to me.

Surely if you want to be the best in Europe you have to beat the best? It gives the teams from the lesser countries a chance with the big guns facing each other.

As for city 'wet behind the ears' , they have some of the best players in Europe, I agree, Mancini is not that good a manager, but the players must take some responsibility. I think they play for themselves not for each other.

No game away from home is easy, actually not many games in Europe are easy, even Celtic held Barcelona until the 94th min. City looked terribly vulnerable against Ajax and Chelsea came up against Shaktar who have the winning mentality at the moment and are gonna be a tough side to beat, we saw it on the Europa league last year with Bilbao dominating man utd over 2 legs its gonna be an interesting champions league this term

Chelsea have never failed to qualify from a group even when there were 2 group phases.

Last year was a bit dodgy, this year maybe more so.

Donetsk are a good side, Juve have drawn all 3 but I don't think anyone has written them off.

11 points guarantees progression but that requires WDW.

Hope we can beat Donetsk by a score that gives us the "tie-breaker" over them if we finish level on points (1-0, 3-1 will do that).

Otherwise I fear there may be a contrived draw in the Donetsk-Juve last match to eliminate CFC.

If we can't beat Donetsk then will need to win at Juve.

Don't think the Danes will get any more points but any they take will help the others, like this week.

If I was a Man U fan I think I'd be a little hesitant before crowing about the failings of others. City have been poor in Europe ( They haven't looked good domestically really ) but they're in a tough group. The way the seedings are in this competition mean that if you don't qualify from the group stage it counts against you in the next seasons competition should you qualify.

Arsenal are reaping the rewards of their consistent ability to qualify from the group stages but if they should get out of this group can they really go any further - possibly but not much further

Shaktar looked a decent side andJuventus are in the asendancy but Ajax ( while they played well on Weds ) were stuffed 4-0 at the same ground by Real.

the Bundesliga is closing the gap ( or perceived gap ) between themselves and English / Spanish leagues rapidly and to me the germans have the best chance this year of winning the trophy

Mancini always good for a laugh in his interviews, group of death, Real Madrid maybe, but the rest yeah good sides, but I'm sure the owners of city after spending all that money would fancy themselves against the rest, just not good enough, if they didn't have joe hart you'd have no chance, tevez will never pull on a city shirt again haha, now look

Of course Chelsea will qualify for the nex round of the Champions League. Look at Shakhtar's home record: to lose there is hardly equivalent to Man Ure's ignominious home collapses when finishing third and then getting booted out of the European losers' cup last year.

Man Ure have fallen behind in four successive games. When it happens at Stamford Bridge, they won't come back.

Keano will be nice and quiet this time tomorrow, probably watching a rerun of Strictly Come Dancing like all the other prawn sandwiches.

• 2 weeks later...

So Chelsea get the win but SD get the tie-breaker on away goals.

SD should win in Denmark to get 10 pts.

If Chelsea lose in Turin then they will require SD to beat Juve in the Ukraine to qualify assuming no slip-ups against the Danes.

But the contrived SD-Juve draw would see them both through.

So Chelsea probably have to go to Italy and not lose.

Difficult to see on tonight's performance. Very fortunate to get the 3 pts.

Roll on the 20th.

God and his messenger Roman are with Chelski. We need them to counter the conspiracy of referees, the FA, the capitalist establishment, the North London bourgeoisie,Platini, Blatter and the Old Trashford's bunch of prawn sandwich chompers and former pub landlords from Glasgow, all of whom have it in for us.

Taking of ghosts, I left out the Fixture and Registration Secretary of the Jolly's Cornwall Combination League and his Vital Hallowe'en Familiar. Sorry about that.

Well done, Moses ! 94th minute echo of what you did to the Manure at Wigan last season ! Inspired signing !

• 2 weeks later...

Of course Chelsea will qualify for the nex round of the Champions League. Look at Shakhtar's home record: to lose there is hardly equivalent to Man Ure's ignominious home collapses when finishing third and then getting booted out of the European losers' cup last year.

Man Ure have fallen behind in four successive games. When it happens at Stamford Bridge, they won't come back.

Keano will be nice and quiet this time tomorrow, probably watching a rerun of Strictly Come Dancing like all the other prawn sandwiches.

See you on Thursday nights.

We weren't good enough without the spirit of Terry and Drogba in the second half. Unlike Spain, playing 4-6-0 won't wash. No blame to Di Matteo. Selection hindsight is a many-splendoured thing.

Time for Roman to explain the importance of Gazprom and Rozneft-controlled pipelines to local employment in Donetsk in the event of a Game Six Fix, s'pose......

Besides, Shakhtar may have more integrity than the Manure.

The greatest shame of this is that I would have previously been prepared to see us roll over at home to Citeh to upset Purple Nose. Now, even I must admit that might be too generous. :)

HA HA HA HA HA, another record for Chelski......... First team to have won the champions league and fail to get through the group stages the following season. All of your messiahs money couldnt buy it for you again this season....

I would save your gloating for a couple of weeks till it's confirmed

You English crack me up. Be reassured that if the Blue Tinners don;t retain their trophy, no other English club will proceed beyond the quarter finals.

Lady Luck blessed us seven times in last year's Champions' League to make up for the freak theft committed by the red manure dustbin looters from Old Dead Catford in Moscow. However, after Clangerberk, she still owes us.

You English crack me up. Be reassured that if the Blue Tinners don;t retain their trophy, no other English club will proceed beyond the quarter finals.

Lady Luck blessed us seven times in last year's Champions' League to make up for the freak theft committed by the red manure dustbin looters from Old Dead Catford in Moscow. However, after Clangerberk, she still owes us.

I think you will find the fat lady is clearing her throat.

• 2 weeks later...

Man city an absolute joke tonight, they said they wanted to play in the Europa league, well that game would suggest they had no intention of it, Dortmund rested key players and still outplayed them, I'm sure some will say nothing to play for and all that, but come on have some pride

See you on Thursday nights.

A new record for the Kings Road Rent Boys.

First Champions League winners,not to get pass the Group Stages.

Where are you Issac. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Only in UEFA Land would a team with a better goal difference be placed below another team. It is supposed to be a GROUP stage, so why would a head to head score count ? Chelsea would have been 2nd in any normal competition or LEAGUE, but what do you expect from Platini and his Euro-Monkeys.

]Only in UEFA Land would a team with a better goal difference be placed below another team. It is supposed to be a GROUP stage, so why would a head to head score count ? Chelsea would have been 2nd in any normal competition or LEAGUE, but what do you expect from Platini and his Euro-Monkeys.

I think it’s a fair rule. Shakhtar Donetsk played FC Nordsjaelland at home in the first round of matches. At that time FC Nordsjaelland probably had dreams of qualifying for the next stage and put up a creditable performance on only losing 2-0. Chalsea played them in the last round when they had no chance of qualifying and they got thumped. The Head to head produces a fairer outcome.

So it's NOT the Champions LEAGUE then ?

If QPR beat Reading twice in the LEAGUE, but finish on the same points but have a GD less than them, who finishes higher ? UEFA have some bloody stupid rules, run by bloody stupid people and employ some bloody stupid 5/6th officials who do bugger all.

Well I hope that Chelsea Reserves win the Europa LEAGUE, a up in Amsterdam is on the cards rather than boring Wembley.

If memory serves correct (very dubious I know) but not all leagues in Europe conclude the point level conundrum in the same manner. Im fairly sure the Spanish league run under the same "head to head" decision making process so maybe its just us arrogant English that think our way is the best way!!

End of the day Chelsea had luck every step of the way from Benfica at home to winning it & were completely outplayed in EVERY match so it was only a matter of time before it ran out. Look on the brightside, Torres is back scoring...again.. and will now go on another run of scoring against poor defenders, when the team are 5 nil up or the opposition have 10 men.

Only in UEFA Land would a team with a better goal difference be placed below another team. It is supposed to be a GROUP stage, so why would a head to head score count ? Chelsea would have been 2nd in any normal competition or LEAGUE, but what do you expect from Platini and his Euro-Monkeys.

Best rely on the good old rule of obtaining more points than the other teams. That'll do it.