Cornwall Football Forum

Sunday 21/10/12 results

West Cornwall Sunday League Division 2

Praze 4 Troon 6

Troon produced a gutsy second half display to maintain their 100% start to the season and to overcome a decent Praze side, although Troon made hard work of what could have been a routine win.

Gaffa Marles has an almost full strength side available with only first choice keeper and Brunei Darussalam international Ady Martin missing. Marles's attempts to lure prolific strike pairing Louis Goss and Dave Rowe had failed in the week after Goss failed a medical due to a knee injury and Troon were unable to agree personal terms with Rowe, failing to meet his £100,000 a week wage demands - this has in turn alerted Manchester City who are expected to act in the January transfer window.

Troon started with a flyer and within 2 minutes the brother of Lionel Messi, Dan Oliver side stepped a couple of challenges before firing past Barry Hennessy (or was it Danny Ford?!!) in the Praze goal. With 5 minutes gone Oliver was upended but Cook's spot-kick and rebound were both kept out by Hennessy. Cook though soon made amends netting twice, the second a cracking drive into the bottom corner from range. Praze however pulled a couple of goals back when a speculative shot from range and a weak chip made it 3-2. Phil James who had a commanding game in midfield made it 4-2 in 30 minutes before a cross that went straight in and a neat finish made it 4-4 at the break.

Gaffa Marles made a couple of tactical substitutions at the break putting fans favourite Scott Smeeth in goal and withdrawing his adopted son and Botswana international Greg Wells and replacing him with Josh "I wish I was Haydn Wise" Reynolds. Troon defended heroically in the 2nd half with Woodman and Kellow rock solid at the heart of the Troon defence with Reynolds and wannabe ladies man Ash Wills also putting in some tough tackles at fullbacks. Troon dominated possession but found Hennessy in inspirational form keeping out effort after effort until with 15 minutes left the resistance was finally broken with Jason Phillips neat finish following a good ball by Oliver finding the corner of the net. Marles elected to rest himself at this point as he could afford to bring on his younger wannabe Haydn Wise. Greg Stephens also entered the fray and he made it 6-4 with 2 minutes remaining ending a fine passing move to seal the points.

Reynolds who was given the MOM due to his solid second half display was then beaten in a downing a pint contest in the pub after the game by Praze keeper Hennessy who's time of 8 seconds just beat Reynolds's 6 hours 34 minutes and 17 seconds.

After the game Marles confirmed that he would end his interest in signing Rowe as Dan Oliver is "better than average" and Graham Cook is "not bad". A week off next weekend before Troon face a tough Shortlansend side at Grouter Park on 4th November.

Another great report woody. I have to admit Barry in the Praze goal was outstanding and "the better than average" Dan Oliver will be glad he doesn't face him every wk. Overall a great team performance which proves that the lads can dig in when they need to. :)

Can someone email me on bumdingo@hotmail.com the Praze managers number, I need to get the Sunday Cup tie this Sunday Packhorse v Praze confirmed?

Were you able to confirm the match this Sunday, also could you give an address or post code for where you play, dont get up that way much and might have to take the sat nav with me. Thanks in advance.

Yep, all confirmed. I left me mobile number with the gentleman I confirmed with so if you need guiding in he can call me. Postcode is PL24 2AJ. Basically follow the bypass round St Austell, look for the signs for Par and there you have it, 4 pitches and athlectics track. Good to see the CSFL clubs getting drawn against clubs down west, Packhorse v Praze, Trevenson v Carlyon Arms, Lostwithiel v MPAD. LC Phoenix failed to raise a side to play Penzance Astro so walk over awarded.