Cornwall Football Forum

Junior Cup Value?

I was just wondering how much managers and players alike value the Junior Cup?

It has a good pedigree with the potential of some cup upsets that we all like to see and talk about, however with the Junior Cup taking precedence over league fixtures it can leave the more "successful" teams with a backlog of fixtures to cram in at the end of the season.

Do some teams prefer to go out early? Would managers play a "weakened" team with players that normally wouldn't get into the starting 11?

There may of been a case that Saltash sacrificed the Premier league last year for their success in the junior cup?

For us at saltash we never sacrificed anything last season and we always played to win every game we played in. We were successful in the junior cup last season as we knew every game was a must win as everyone knows that it's on the day that matters and were beaten to the league by fowey who over the season were a better side consistently.

Of course, I don't mean anyone would lose anything on purpose. I just believe that some teams that are successful in a competition such as the Junior Cup end up playing a huge backlog of fixtures at the end of the season which has a knock on effect with unavailability of players due to injuries, work commitments for evening games and suspensions? That can only have a detrimental effect if your challenging for your respective leagues honours?

Think most managers would like a back-log of games near the end of the season - usually means you have had a successful season or you are Camborne School of Mines ha ha. I for one would give up the domestic league cups for the junior cup but it very much depends on the clubs ambitions - some clubs do not want or cannot win promotion to senior football so the junior cup would possibly be the priority whereas we at Helston are chasing promotions back into Combo football to back up the first team.

Guest BenTheYeti

If memory serves me correctly (and I'm knackered so it probably doesn't), I think we got to either the area final or the semi-finals one year.. and it was all that everyone was talking about. Outside of playing at Combo or higher, I'd say most players/managers at this level would love to say that they had a good run in the Junior Cup.. there's a lot of Junior teams in Cornwall, and as they always say, only one can win it