Cornwall Football Forum

How did it work out?

Hi.

I run Gunnislake FC.

Yes I thought it worked ok. Game play didn’t really stop.

It was good that you can name and use 5 subs.

We had 4 injuries with myself leaving the field after 10 minutes and three others in the later part.

So yes it was beneficial for yesterday, but I cannot see this being used on a weekly basis!

Football rules should be the same throughout the country/world. What I mean is, it shouldn’t matter if your playing duchy/trelawny football or in the Barclays premier league. Rules are rules so why change them because of the standard?

Like I said it helped us out yesterday, but if that was a league match we would have dealt with the problem!

We didn't use it yesterday, we brought on all our subs but didn't roll on, roll off. Our opponents used it what seems like every 5 minutes, however it didn't really slow the game down too much. I'm still not convinced by it, when the premier league introduce it, then I'll play ball.

Firmly on the fence.

I'm open to the idea and can see the benefits, but there's no doubt that it made our game yesterday seem like a friendly.

Each team made about 8 or 10 subs each throughout the game which didn't seem excessive bearing in mind the options, but you end up playing with and against different players every 10 minutes.

I went off with 20 minutes to play and even though I was fine with the idea of coming back on, after 10 minutes on the sidelines I was stiffening up and definitely felt that i would have been more prone to injury if I came back on.

Ok with the concept, not convinced with the practicalities, yet.

If they want to increase participation, why not just increase the number of subs to 5, instead of rolling the same 2 or 3 on and off all day? I did have an open mind, but I didn't like it! Our opponents only had 1 or 2 on the bench, if they had 5, it could of been ridiculous.

ballsax, the number available was 5, yesterday in the Junior Cup all 5 subs were useable. (that`s of course if you had the luxury of the full amount).

My mistake, I should of worded it better! I meant make the 5 subs all available to use, without having the roll on, roll off rule! Think that could please nearly everyone! No roll on/off, and increased participation!

I'm on the fence about it too, although we took advantage of it, I feel it ruined the shape of our team throughout the game, I ended up playing in 3 positions during the game and sometimes wondered if I was coming or going,

Were quite a fit team and seem to rely on our hard work towards the end of the game, with this rule I feel it could be taken advantage of and the less commited could benefit. :-/

We had a player sent off after 25 minutes and it allowed me to make a quick change to the personnel, bringing a replacement defender on for a winger. I was then able to take a few minutes to think about a change of plan rather than making a snap decision. Also, it meant the player I took after 25 minutes, through no fault of his own, was able to come back on later on. It probably also helped us with 10 men as was able to keep players fresh.

Whether this is a good thing for the game i'm not sure but we used it to our advantage

The biggest issue I felt was that there is maybe more expectation from players for you to get them on the pitch, despite wanting to maintain some sort of team shape.

One of the areas I think it would be really useful for are games when the scoreline means the game is as good as over. We've all been in games when you are 5-0 up or down with 30 minutes to play. The game is over and everything dies off. However, this would be a good opportunity for either side to try players in different positions or different tactics. A bit like pre-season but at least you can learn something from an otherwise finished game?

Im on the fence to with this one can see lots of good points made from the earlier posts. However if the ref still has to wait for the ball to go out of play to make a sub then how can it be called rolling subs. Also the ref said to me that he dosent know why they have introduced it as a trail this season as they have already made there mind up and it will be in next season regardless

So most people are in favour, a few on the fence and a couple of traditionalists against.

I wonder which other counties or leagues are trying this out. Would be interesting to find out their opinions.

We may be more "Stick in the mud" down here, less likely to change.

For example the Re-instatement Rule between Senior and Junior football. Only Cornwall are holding out. One reason they keep it is to stop the strongest Senior teams dominating junior football but using senior players in important junior games, but it is awkward when a club has one team in senior and one in junior.

• gotta say the rolling subs neither disturbed the game or caused any dramas at all really and thats coming from someone who opposes the idea.The footballing reasons i have against it are
  • a two or three team club could be at a dissadvantage against a one club team. players often get called "up" a level leaving a 3rd or reserve team short on subs whilst a one club team have a full continent of subs
  • with the current re-instatement rule a club with a senior team and a junior team have little options to help each other when short legally thus referring to point 1
  • i disagree in principle with being able to swap up to five players.In my opinion it belittles the game and does not belong.For example...if johnny smith top striker gets injured then fine sub him but thats that.At that point you have only two options left.Tactics, plain bad luck, drama, despair...thats football

Bloody hell, what level of football are we playing at here? surely its best to have a full compliment of players on the pitch.

As for what you said about 1 team in a club having an advantage over clubs who have more teams is laughable! if you have 3 teams in a club then you've got 3 teams to pick players from, a club with one team has one group of players and thats it.

The Senior/Junior thing has been going on for ages, you can re-register players which is just a money making exercise anyway.

how is it laughable darren if i have a bare 11 because i can`t play senior players from two years ago and the first team have called up two or even three players due to in juries/work etc...this team then plays against a team of 16 with fresh legs avaliable...c`mon fella surely you can see that? yes?no?

i understand the involvement idea and i agree that players should be encouraged to play football but i believe this is the wrong way

I suppose I understand where you're coming from, but thats just unlucky, I'm sure that those clubs that have just the one team would like to be in the position of having a reserve team.

Didn't you have about 30 or so at training eariler in the season? You can play senior players, you just need to re-register them, numbers dependent I suppose

I watched the probus vs st cleer game with role on role off subs worked really well giving the managers chance to play there whole squad to give everyone game time! everyone wants to play football and when you have a full bench people always miss out its hard to keep rotating a squad to give everyone time on the pitch!! But with rolling subs it gives everyone a chance to play and at the end of the day thats why everyone is there!! to enjoy and play the game!! not sure how well it would work in the senior levels as thats where the money gets involved paying players and soo on!so for junior level i would be voting for rolling subs next season!!!!great idea! Everyone wants to play football!!!!!

the problem i have darren is half of my team are still senior players...i`m only just starting to get the team i want to play due to adhering to the rules....some have told me i`m an idiot and others have commended me for sticking to the rules.If the re-instatement rules get ditched i`d probably go neutral on the rolling subs if the truth be known

I followed this post with some interest .Someone on here wondered what other counties had used this system and what their views are.Here in Norfolk all the leagues voted whether to trial it in league games up to senior level .There were mixed results , the biggest league voted against it but most of the smaller leagues voted in favour .

Some clubs had trialled this in charity cups competitions over the past three years and the majority don't actually use it , they carry on with the normal substitution system and only use it for injuries.

During this current playing season , some of the clubs have found no great advantage , in fact some have found it has caused problems with players bending their ears wanting to get on again and leads to a bit of unrest .

Another thing is that when you come to use it you realise that practically speaking youre only constantly swapping a few players . For example , you'll rarely swap a goalie , one or both your centre backs , a left back ( how many left footed defenders are there ? ) , similarly left side mid field and centre mid field play makers , and a striker . So youre left with perhaps 5 playing positions that your'e going to keep altering . This can lead to a disruptive pattern to your play . As a result most teams that I know of have carried on with the old way of straight subs are only using it in cases of injury .

Like you we are struggling to keep leagues afloat with teams folding , I think we have lost a team a week throughtout the leagues since the beginning of the season . Some of these were large towns the size of Mevaggissey and they have had to withdraw their reserve teams through lack of players .

The ban on under 16 year olds has'nt helped of course

I hope that you don't think that I'm against the rolling sub issue per se , but my own idea with my team is to carry on with the straight sub . I say this having had the experience of rolling subs for cup games for the past 3 seasons .

Any way summing up I find it interesting following this forums and seeing the same problems and the same moans as we get .

I also find it interesting to see the difference in rules ie the re instatement of senior players and the rule regarding illegible players and the game not being re played .

Little village called St. Germans between Wisbech and Kings Lynn originally , but I now live in a village on the Norfolk Broads .I follow this forum because I spend a lot of time in Cornwall in St. Austell or Trevvarrian the home of St. Mawgan .

I'm involved with football through being a club secretary and also on a League management commitee , so I see it from both sides of the coin so to speak .I also played for a lot years ( from age 14 to 55 , where's the the time gone ). But I'm still learning !!!