Cornwall Football Forum

FA Vase results 13/10/12

First class display by "the ashes" and truly deserved something from this game.

Pity it was a penalty award that decided the game.

If "the ashes" can raise their game to this level throughout the remainder of the season, they must surely be amongst the silverware come the end of the season.

Although the Referee had a good game , pity his assistant, the one running the line the half "the ashes" were attacking in the second, had such a poor game. He was reluctant to make any decisions or raise his flag, until the Referee had made a decision.

Well done the Lillwhites and also to St Blazey and Bodmin for beating Step 5 opposition. Hard luck Saltash. I always believe that the top of the Peninsula League is just as good as the top of the Western League Premier as our clubs do seem to get results against them in the Vase and the FA Cup most of the time.

Any news of the draw for the next round ? Has it been made, if so what is it ? or when is it to be made ?

If "the ashes" can raise their game to this level throughout the remainder of the season, they must surely be amongst the silverware come the end of the season.

Although the Referee had a good game , pity his assistant, the one running the line the half "the ashes" were attacking in the second, had such a poor game. He was reluctant to make any decisions or raise his flag, until the Referee had made a decision.

Personally I thought it was a poor scrappy game with neither team being able to string together two passes.

I also thought that Tony Cloak had a poor game in the middle, allowing no contact whatsoever .

Buckland should have buried the game, with Si Revell hitting the bar and the Ashes keeper saving well with his feet from Jamie Mudge just yards out.

Buckland also went into this game with a plefora of injured players Drew,Gaze,Kelly & Booth unavailable (although Kelly came on for the last ten minutes)

Personally I thought it was a poor scrappy game with neither team being able to string together two passes.

I also thought that Tony Cloak had a poor game in the middle, allowing no contact whatsoever .

Buckland should have buried the game, with Si Revell hitting the bar and the Ashes keeper saving well with his feet from Jamie Mudge just yards out.

Buckland also went into this game with a plefora of injured players Drew,Gaze,Kelly & Booth unavailable (although Kelly came on for the last ten minutes)

We all all have our own points of view, but have to disagree with you.

If this is the level of the Western League, I am not very impressed.

The teams "the ashes" had on their first visit to the Western League would have buried the current Buckland Athletic side! So would Liskeard or Falmouth.

I agree it was a scrappy affair today, but Saltash had plenty of chances to score, but Bucks showed their rescillience to hold onto a game. If you think that Pastyman I suggest Saltash apply to go up if they end up in a promotion spot, the same as any other Cornish side, until you try you will never know.

I agree it was a scrappy affair today, but Saltash had plenty of chances to score, but Bucks showed their rescillience to hold onto a game. If you think that Pastyman I suggest Saltash apply to go up if they end up in a promotion spot, the same as any other Cornish side, until you try you will never know.

READ MY POST, BEFORE YOU COMMENT!!!!

Well done the Lillwhites and also to St Blazey and Bodmin for beating Step 5 opposition. Hard luck Saltash. I always believe that the top of the Peninsula League is just as good as the top of the Western League Premier as our clubs do seem to get results against them in the Vase and the FA Cup most of the time.

Any news of the draw for the next round ? Has it been made, if so what is it ? or when is it to be made ?

Monday

I also had a look at the saltash v buckland game. I thought first half was extremely poor From both teams . Buckland just shading it .the ref wasnt helping ,Booking players or stopping play for smallest incident. The 2nd half was much better. Both teams going for it. The pen was 100 % correct and only way wright looked like he score . .clarke and gav courlton had him in their pocket . Shame saltash seem to lack any cutting edge. As they piled the pressure on. Both thier strikers were poor . A top front man and saltash would be challenging

One for the spectators at Poltair Park yesterday with 7 goals being bagged!

St.Austells defence has been their stronger element this season so far, but yesterday they looked to get caught flat on a number of occasions with Bovey fairly easily picking holes.

St.Austell made hard work of it coming from behind twice with goals from Whetter, Campbell, Lean and Reski to seel the victory.

Great win lads, and lets hope for a kind draw on Monday!

Mangotsfield United fan here in peace

Pastyman said "If this is the level of the Western League, I am not very impressed."

It's a fair comment in some ways because the Western League is nowhere as strong as it was 20 years ago. Clubs like Tiverton, Taunton, Mangotsfield, Clevedon, Weston, Paulton, Chippenham, Bideford etc all moved up to the Southern League & were not replaced by teams of a similar standard, they were replaced by teams coming in from below them, via the local County Leagues and those teams take years to gel & adjust to their new surroundings. Bitton are probably the best example of that, as they are usually around the top 4 of the Western League Premier Division most of the time, but they will probably not consider promotion for a while yet because of the cost. Brislington certainly won't! They get gates of 50 on a good day, which is a shame because they're a decent club, but they are already at the highest level they could ever consider playing at. Most of the present Toolstation League sides can probably beat each other on a good day, so there are no longer any "big sides" in the WL like the ones mentioned earlier, icluding my own Mangotsfield, because all the big money teams have gone & none of today's WL pay anything the silly money thrown around by the Tivertons & Tauntons of this world when they were dominating the WL in the 90s. There are some decent teams around though, such as Cadbury Heath who I watched demolish Buckland 6-1 a few weeks ago. They could easily become another Bitton & start having some good years in the WL, but unlike the big boys of 20 years ago, there is no way Cadbury Heath (or Brislington) could ever consider moving up because they don't have the finances & Bristol-based players who do well at that level then get snapped up by local Southern League clubs. Anyway, I will look out for the draw tomorrow & if any Peninsula side gets drawn up Brstol way on 17 November, I will try & watch the game as Mangotsfield are down in Hampshire on that day.

Mangotsfield United fan here in peace

Pastyman said "If this is the level of the Western League, I am not very impressed."

It's a fair comment in some ways because the Western League is nowhere as strong as it was 20 years ago. Clubs like Tiverton, Taunton, Mangotsfield, Clevedon, Weston, Paulton, Chippenham, Bideford etc all moved up to the Southern League & were not replaced by teams of a similar standard, they were replaced by teams coming in from below them, via the local County Leagues and those teams take years to gel & adjust to their new surroundings. Bitton are probably the best example of that, as they are usually around the top 4 of the Western League Premier Division most of the time, but they will probably not consider promotion for a while yet because of the cost. Brislington certainly won't! They get gates of 50 on a good day, which is a shame because they're a decent club, but they are already at the highest level they could ever consider playing at. Most of the present Toolstation League sides can probably beat each other on a good day, so there are no longer any "big sides" in the WL like the ones mentioned earlier, icluding my own Mangotsfield, because all the big money teams have gone & none of today's WL pay anything the silly money thrown around by the Tivertons & Tauntons of this world when they were dominating the WL in the 90s. There are some decent teams around though, such as Cadbury Heath who I watched demolish Buckland 6-1 a few weeks ago. They could easily become another Bitton & start having some good years in the WL, but unlike the big boys of 20 years ago, there is no way Cadbury Heath (or Brislington) could ever consider moving up because they don't have the finances & Bristol-based players who do well at that level then get snapped up by local Southern League clubs. Anyway, I will look out for the draw tomorrow & if any Peninsula side gets drawn up Brstol way on 17 November, I will try & watch the game as Mangotsfield are down in Hampshire on that day.

Hope there are no Frome or Bridgwater fans reading this. lol

It doesn't look like we will be crossing paths this season Dave,

That must be your second visit to Cadbury Heath

Hi Mike, sorry I forgot Frome & Bridgwater - and Truro, come to that, although their stay in the Western League was only a 2-year one of course! There was also Team Bath as well, gone now though. As for Cadbury Heath, I've been there about 8 or 9 times in total down the years, but only once since the Falmouth visit & that was for Buckland the other week. They are a good side though, there's one or two ex-Mangos in their team & the manager is Andy Black, who took the Mangos up to the Southern League in 2000. We'll see what the draw tomorrow brings, but it's a pity that our paths won't cross this season, as you say.

You may well laugh, but when it comes to the crunch and tough decisions have to be made, Dave is on holiday, in Greece or Cornwall. He always misses the start of the season and spends the rest of the time trying to identify the players..."who's he"?.

We do put a lot of time and effort into the programme (don't mention the printing at the moment - it's a very sore point) and I personally am working on different aspects every day and we are always ready at very short notice to put together something.

Also, we do like to have readable articles rather than just statistics, so that people have something to read, and that is what takes the time. In theory, it could be done by one person, but that would make it much harder than what it is now, and in Dave's case, he simply would not be able to do afford the time due to his family commitments.

I am retired, but to be honest, that does not make that much difference as there is always something going on and in a few weeks I shall be moving house and have to set up new broadband and the like.

That will be hard, but bottom line is that Mangotsfield United have never failed to have a programme since we started. Just last week our scheduled away game with Gloucester City was changed to Cossham Street, so certain plans went out the window.

It's a hard life...so Dave says... :)